Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147857 - 02/26/06 03:09 AM "Practicing" Satanism
sCara Offline

Quite often, I come across those all for telling as many as possible about being practicing Satanists.

I know what is intended with this pairing of words, and on the surface there is nothing suspect about it. However, it almost always strikes me as leftover sheepishness.

"Please don't expect much from me right now, I am only at the practicing stage after all.."

Since when is there such a thing as a non-practicing Satanist?! I mean hell, since we're designating..

As I have said elsewhere and before, to illustrate my point: Every time I look at Boris, lounging on his favorite windowsill and soaking up the sun, I think to myself that he more than likely never had to practice at being a cat.

It is exactly the same for The Satanist.

A Satanist should not have to be told to go with his or her natural talents.. To improve at that which is lacking.. Point and laugh at those deserving such..

So how about those that are stop practicing Satanism and start Living It? How about taking the time for inventory as objective as is possible and figure out what needs to be fine-tuned and then practicing that which can enhance the personal example of Satanism In Action?

#147858 - 02/26/06 04:42 AM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Practicing Satanism?

I'd like to think I got it right the first time

#147859 - 02/26/06 09:56 AM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: RandomStranger]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I'd like to think I got it right the first time

Ah, but this may be one time where the old saying is true:

Practice makes perfect!

#147860 - 02/26/06 10:08 AM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
lmao! I haven't heard someone use that term (practicing Satanist) since high school. Most often they were wiccans trying a little "left hand self help"; if the mood strikes you use my favorite phrase, "No practicing, I got it right the first time."

#147861 - 02/26/06 11:16 AM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Quote:

I know what is intended with this pairing of words, and on the surface there is nothing suspect about it. However,

This is where we begin to differ - I think that that's all there is to it, and the other understanding of the word "practice" (upon which you proceed to elaborate) is completely irrelevant here.

Semantics.

I practice Satanism, as in, I put Satanism into practice.

To be honest, there is no such thing as a non-practicing Satanist, simply because someone who is not practicing Satanism, is not a Satanist.

I direct the reader to Dictionary definition of "practice" (noting which definition is listed first, even), and the ChurchOfSatan.Com Theory/Practice page.

To say otherwise would be akin to suggesting that one should get a different doctor because one's own doctor is "only practicing" medicine, at his medical practice.

#147862 - 02/26/06 11:35 AM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Likewise, I raise an eyebrow and think cheekily, "I got it right the first time," when I hear that someone "practices" a religion, but just keep in mind, that's not the only meaning of the word. "Practice" also implies that one engages in the lifestyle and the rituals of something, and actively embodies and believes in the values of that something.

I occasionally use it in the way Lingua laid it out, that one "practices" Satanism, in that one is engaged in the practice of Satanism.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#147863 - 02/26/06 02:44 PM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
What is a practicing Satanist? Is that someone who doesn't know how to be one and thinks they can learn?

Guess I never got that part, I just am. I didn't require any practice.

#147864 - 02/26/06 02:47 PM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Often I've found that people who make it an issue to inform someone that they are a practicing <insert label>, are often going out of their way to convince themselves that they are practicing. The exception to this I think would be professionals who can only improve their skills by constantly applying them, i.e., a medical doctor. I think Satanists would fall into the latter category. No Satanist is perfect, there is always room for improvement in all areas, including the application of Satanism. The differance between the real Satanist and the second hand immitation is that the real Satanists don't just say they are practicing, they ARE practicing, whether or not they bother to say anything about it.

#147865 - 02/26/06 03:15 PM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
It's all about being timid. And most of the people I've met who've acted similarly leave the show altogether.

How many people have grown up trying to be a good Christian, falling short, getting up, trying again, over and over? It's because they think of Satanism the same way they think of Christianity. As a set of rules for how they should live their life.

And also, as another member mentioned, semantics may get in the way...

#147866 - 02/26/06 04:28 PM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

A Satanist should not have to be told to go with his or her natural talents.. To improve at that which is lacking.. Point and laugh at those deserving such..

So how about those that are stop practicing Satanism and start Living It?

I agree with you about this. Either you live like a Satanist or you don't.

What is there to PRACTICE, anyway? I never needed to practice being human, or being female; that's just the way I am. I never had to practice enjoying life; that's just how I feel inside.
~~~~~~~~~
As "practice" does in fact also mean to put to use, I think the word "apply" is a better word to use if you are expressing that you are living as a Satanist.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#147867 - 02/26/06 05:38 PM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell
Quote:

"Please don't expect much from me right now, I am only at the practicing stage after all.."

Aesthetics - Desire, Timing, Imagery, Direction, The Balance Factor.

Magic does not always work.
"Satanists are epicurean, skeptical atheists who see Satan as a symbol of pride, individualism, and the quality of questioning all dogmas. The word in Hebrew means 'adversary' and so we are each 'Satans' to the doctrines that would have people use faith instead of reason to understand the universe in which we live. Our goal is to enjoy this, the only life we have and not waste it in anticipation of a mythical afterlife or an imagined apocalypse." - News 31 May, XLI A.S. in Reguards to The Satanic High Mass that happened on 6/6/6

- Noxilenticus Zodameranu

#147868 - 02/26/06 06:04 PM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Speaking of... reading all of this has me running late to Satanism Practice.

#147869 - 02/26/06 10:58 PM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: Noxilenticus]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Magic does not always work

I would say instead : Humans are not always aware with the different parameters.

#147870 - 02/26/06 11:56 PM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
uncleherpe Offline

when i read the term practicing it strikes me like they are active and aware in their satanism. dunno why...

#147871 - 02/27/06 01:54 AM Re: "Practicing" Satanism [Re: sCara]
SpiderLegs Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs CO USA
lol I see your point and if we are what we do I supose we can't "practice" anything really, can we? I'm not a practicer I am a doer. I don't practice magic, or talking to people, or anything that one could practice. I DO. as does everyone else, it's just a matter if one wants to take responsibility for doing what they've done. If not, they PRACTICE, lmao

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12019 Members
73 Forums
43829 Topics
405228 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements