Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#148228 - 03/05/06 10:19 AM Re: Topic. [Re: DarkApollyon]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
You're very welcome. It's one of my favorite strips, because of how it deals with relevant issues and important ideas while still being lighthearted and playful on the surface.

Naturally, I also love how the protagonists are all happy outsiders, and how the good guys are usually carnivores, while the antagonists are, more often than not, herbivores like sheep and bunnies.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#148229 - 03/05/06 04:29 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Tejun2]
Destiny Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:

This tactic has been used for ages and I think if we conceive of some way to eliminate the ability of parents to raise their kids into ignorance we may make some progress, but that is the question isn't it... how do we do that?

I was brought up In a small rural community in Ayrshire, Scotland. My mother, grandmother, great grandmother, and so on were all Roman Catholic, though my mother is no longer practicing. I always went to a Catholic school, from the age of 5, right through my school career. By the age of 8/9, I began to question things, though did not quite understand what I was questioning. Later at high school, I questioned more. I read up on Christian beliefs, and the Catholic teachings. I started many debates in school, and discovered my teachers had no answers. They could not explain what they believed, they did not understand what they believed.
I have not been a Satanist for long, it took me a while to find Satanism, and to be sure it was what I was looking for. I didn't follow a path, as I didn't know the route of each path.
I do not believe that parents or peers have such an impact on a child's beliefs. If I look at my own childhood, it was very sheltered. Others I see now in the street, who have choosen, or stuck with their Christianity, or with no religion at all, I believe they would always have became that way, wether they had been taught it as a child or not.
Surely everyone will find their religion? Whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Islam...or Satanism. Whatever path you are destined to follow, you wil find it eventually.
HS!

#148230 - 03/05/06 05:10 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Destiny]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

I have not been a Satanist for long

There's a saying you may not be familiar with:

"Satanists are born, not made."

You only recently identified as a Satanist, however, the framework has always been there.

Satanism is not a conversion, but a natural disposition.

I think it's likely you've always been a Satanist.

Now you're just applying the code; but it's a natural thing to do, because you've always been a Satanist.

That's why The Satanic Bible resonates with so many.

They were already Satanists, but now they know it.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#148231 - 03/06/06 04:10 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Poetaster]
Destiny Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I have not been a Satanist for long

There's a saying you may not be familiar with:

"Satanists are born, not made."

Yes, I worded that wrongly. But I'm sure you got the jist of what I was saying.

#148232 - 03/06/06 08:21 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Tathariant]
Focalor Offline

I believe that parents should have the right to teach their children whatever they want. If they teach their children the wrong thing, oh well. What other alternative is there? Should the state have exclusive rights to dictate how your kid thinks and feels? I may not agree with what someone else teaches their kid, but it's not my problem. I can't be bothered to worry about what everyone else on this planet is doing and whether or not it's healthy for the rest of society. When a problem arises, you deal with it. You try to prevent it in the future. But you can't tell someone they're wrong for teaching their children what Jesus Christ said during his sermon on the mountain. It's none of your business. If it fucks them up in the head, so be it.

http://focalor.tastyspleen.net

#148233 - 03/06/06 09:10 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Quiddity]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
Put me down for one copy of the "back door violating" book.
Toad

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#148234 - 03/07/06 02:48 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Tathariant]
JASCOBLASS Offline

Loc: here
Now that I come to think of it,It shouldn't even be asked if parents should teach there children or not.They're only going to be brainwashed by the school system and get completly moraly confused. To add on top of that the social standard wipes the slate clean again. So all the hard work that you put into you're own kid is debunk.

#148236 - 03/07/06 06:23 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Tathariant]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

On whether to procreate: Up to the individual. I never suggest that it's a bad idea, because as Heinlein so rightly pointed out, whatever refuses to breed will be replaced and overrun by that which does not. There aren't any Shakers around these days...

On what to do with offspring: I take the almost heretical view (among Satanists) that parents have a right to raise their children any way they like within the law. One can argue that human sheep harm their children by inflicting their stupid ideas on them, but usually their children are stupid and would have stupid ideas anyway. Seems like most of us present had Christian or otherwise religious parents, we made it out okay.

Likewise, I don't take the high-road "You also shouldn't 'inflict' Satanism on your children" route either. I've seen real-life examples of fine children raised by Satanists, as Satanists. Intelligent children with potential aren't going to be harmed by this, and it's degrading to Satanism to imagine that our religion is unsuitable for children. It's not. Like anything with a layer of complexity, the finer points require maturity, but the basic ideas are so natural to human behavior that it is not difficult in the least to raise a fine child with Satanic ethics.

#148237 - 03/16/06 03:00 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: ]
JASCOBLASS Offline

Loc: here
If you have to ask "what" you should take a walk down the street,shoping mall or any other place that would have people of all ages,sexes and races. Look around,observe see what these people are doing,acting,and talking about than ask yourself,"where do these people get there way of thinking?". Try to answer this question yourself and use a little commonsense. Look at this at a few different points of views. Please come back to me with your own feedback.

#148238 - 03/16/06 05:02 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Tathariant]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Well, my daughter is only 3 weeks old and she is my first child.

I do hope to be able to give her everything she needs to survive such as to prepare her for the real world. I can give her my love, understanding, and the choice to be whatever type of person or whoever she would like to be.

I think that about all I can do.

#148239 - 03/17/06 07:57 AM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Remorazz Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Agreed,

My boys have no clue about Satanism yet they have learned "Responsibility to the Responsible" and apply it (so far) even our 4 year old. My oldest son canít learn enough; all three enjoy music from Bach to GnR's and are bilingual. They are respectful to us (mostly) and to animals. So far I think we are doing a hell of a job, my spouse and I.

HS! G We have wasted far too much time explaining that Satanism has nothing to do with kidnapping, drug abuse, child molestation, animal or child sacrifice , or any number of other acts that idiots, hysterics or opportunists would like to credit us with. By Anton Szandor LaVey ©1988 PENTAGONAL REVISIONISM: A FIVE-POINT PROGRAM ~Special Thanks to: Agent Jack Malebranche for his permission to use his art in my avatar.~ SETI Combat Camera Cool Products

#148240 - 03/17/06 02:02 PM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Remorazz]
Destiny Offline

Quote:

Well, my daughter is only 3 weeks old and she is my first child.

I do hope to be able to give her everything she needs to survive such as to prepare her for the real world. I can give her my love, understanding, and the choice to be whatever type of person or whoever she would like to be.

I think that about all I can do.

Quote:

Agreed,

My boys have no clue about Satanism yet they have learned "Responsibility to the Responsible" and apply it (so far) even our 4 year old. My oldest son canít learn enough; all three enjoy music from Bach to GnR's and are bilingual. They are respectful to us (mostly) and to animals. So far I think we are doing a hell of a job, my spouse and I.

I think this is all you can do. You are raising your children with an open mind. Teaching them the respect that you've learned yourself. You haven't forced anything on them, you have shown them what you can, but realised they need to make their own choices. Your children will grow up knowing their own mind, having their own opinions and without the extream biast that many children have today.
Continue to do a good job.

#148241 - 03/18/06 02:34 AM Re: Unacceptable Parental Influences? [Re: Destiny]
demonpurr13 Offline

Loc: Arizona/USA
my daughter is almost 2 years old now, so really im just trying to give her all my love and time i can.. when she is older i will teach her basic life lessons, i will give her the options and let her make the choices for her life... i will teach her right from wrong, teach her responsibility, and teach her to respect as long as she is given respect in return.. im going to help her thru her life as best i can without forcing anything on her.. she doesnt have to believe the way i do and she doesnt have to be like me, she can be who she wants and im going to love her and give her all my support!! thats all a parent can do really, we try to do what we think is best for our own kids..

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
44001 Topics
406140 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements