Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#149183 - 03/05/06 05:33 PM Plants
Exanimus Offline

Loc: NC
I read a book a few years ago called: THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS. I do not recall the authors name.

After reading this book I began to look at plants in a different way. I find the idea that plants possess ESP abilities to be very interesting. It makes sense to me that when living creatures have to live without the five senses almost all other creatures possess, that the sixth sense will become dominant.

I would like to know what others think of this

#149184 - 03/05/06 05:46 PM Re: Plants [Re: Exanimus]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
No scientific data that I'm aware of supports such a theory.

If the data exists, I'd be pleased to see it.

Edited by AmbientLogic (03/05/06 05:48 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#149185 - 03/05/06 06:35 PM Re: Plants [Re: Exanimus]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Is this it?

The curious thing to my notion would be : if indeed plants possess ESP abilities, how can humans use that, to any level? Because if the human does not possess any himself, or has not excercised it, would it make any difference whether the plants around them possessed it or not? In the latter case, the plants would just communicate with each other, I reckon.

One would need to be able to at least percieve how the plants are responding to determined things, wouldn´t they. And also be able to tell the difference between an organic response and an ESP response, if you will, because some plants are just temperamental: I have one that requires one hour and a half of sun, around noon, every other day, no more, no less; it also requires an exact amount of water every night... if it is not done that way, it kill some of its leaves, the green will change tone... And this is just its organic response to Vitamin D and water.

This is interesting. I might have to pick up a copy of this book you speak of.

#149186 - 03/05/06 07:53 PM Re: Plants [Re: Satanya]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

The curious thing to my notion would be : if indeed plants possess ESP abilities, how can humans use that, to any level? Because if the human does not possess any himself, or has not excercised it, would it make any difference whether the plants around them possessed it or not? In the latter case, the plants would just communicate with each other, I reckon.

If indeed radios possess RF abilities, how can humans use that, to any level? Would it make any difference if the radios around us possessed it or not? The radios would just communicate with each other.

My money's on the whole "plant ESP" thing being utter nonsense, but if such a thing were to be shown to exist, it might very well have real applications.

-Chess

#149187 - 03/05/06 08:00 PM Re: Plants [Re: Exanimus]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

This is interesting, and maybe plants DO have some ways of communication.

I think trees may be able to communicate with other trees by some psychic means. To me, trees seem to be more “alive” when there are other trees located around them, like they are sending some kind of communication energy through the wind. Certain trees just look like they are expressing one particular kind of thought. Some times it seems as though trees that are located in groups act as family members, and each tree has a different role or type of character. Each one has its ego.

Trees that are isolated don't look like they "think" anything.

It is fun to sit outside and "read" the trees. Especially on summer nights. I look at the way they are shaped. Some just look like "the shy one" or "the one that's in control" or "the one that thinks he's cool". Oh yea, and then there's the ones that tease each other.

...but then again, I do have quite an imagination.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#149188 - 03/05/06 08:21 PM Re: Plants [Re: Barb]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

It is fun to sit outside and "read" the trees.

Be careful! You start reading them... and you end up hugging them!

I also have noticed how different trees have different “characters” and some times they look like they have a “personality”.

But it is just our minds that insist in “anthropomorphizing” everything.

#149189 - 03/05/06 08:37 PM Re: Plants [Re: Exanimus]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

I find the idea that plants possess ESP abilities to be very interesting. It makes sense to me that when living creatures have to live without the five senses almost all other creatures possess, that the sixth sense will become dominant.

What purpose would that have? Because nothing in nature would develope an organ or ability that doesn't have a necesary function.

I guess a tree can telepatically call another and say "Hey, the soil is very rich over here... come over and suck up some nutrients. Oh, wait, you can't walk! Sorry!"

#149190 - 03/05/06 09:31 PM Re: Plants [Re: Old_Pig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Quote:

I also have noticed how different trees have different “characters” and some times they look like they have a “personality”.

But it is just our minds that insist in “anthropomorphizing” everything.

It is also using the trees to create a mood. While that can be enjoyable, I will not hold my breath waiting to receive a message.
Though I may now be paranoid ,thinking that the willow tree and birch are psycically laughing at me! Damn...there go my nature walks!!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#149191 - 03/05/06 09:41 PM Re: Plants [Re: Old_Pig]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Quote:

Be careful! You start reading them... and you end up hugging them!

Good one!

#149192 - 03/06/06 04:11 AM Re: Plants [Re: Chess]
Satanya Offline
Banned

No, really. If the radio is on and I can´t hear it, there´s no point, no. Unless of course there would be third parts involved, such as whoever would be listening to the radio and if whatever they heard on the radio could affect me in any way through them: but that would get a little more complicated to discuss and it is not what you´re talking about, I don´t think. And I´m not willing to jump in a whole hypothetical scenario here when I haven´t even began investigating what made me curious initially yet.

#149193 - 03/06/06 06:34 AM Re: Plants [Re: Exanimus]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
I vaguely remember this book you mention being reported on the News at the time, if I'm right in thinking he book was orignally released at about the same time H.R.H Prince Charles (parasite !, spit !) gave an interview stating he regularly talked to plants and trees to relax.

I must admit to being not much of a nature loving save the whales type, I have nothing against plants per se, they are living things and deserve as much respect as any other life on the planet. We probably shouldn't be cutting down huge swathes of the amazonian rain forest on a daily basis (lungs of the plant and all that crap).
But as for them making up for their lack of other senses with some kind of psychic sixth sense, I draw the line about being careful about having negative thoughts whenever I walk past a potted fern.

As a friend of mine once quipped, "I'm a vegetarian, I don't love animals, I just hate plants".

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#149194 - 03/06/06 09:28 AM Re: Plants [Re: Satanya]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

No, really. If the radio is on and I can´t hear it, there´s no point, no. Unless of course there would be third parts involved, such as whoever would be listening to the radio and if whatever they heard on the radio could affect me in any way through them: but that would get a little more complicated to discuss and it is not what you´re talking about, I don´t think.

Nothing so intricate. I just wanted to point out that something doesn't have to be directly perceptible by humans (such as radio waves or, in this case, the alleged emotional lives of petunias) to be useful.

Just being my usual insufferably nitpicky self, that's all.

-Chess

#149195 - 03/06/06 02:30 PM Plant studies. [Re: Exanimus]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
You will find it hard going to discuss this issue here.

Too many people are too quick to just wish to point out how nuts this sounds.

You will either need to make the case for why this needs to be treated more seriously (case studies of clinical measurements of plants such as through GSR readings exist as well as the works of biologist Rupert Sheldrake) or be prepared to be snowed under by ridicule.

This is, by the way, one of the reasons we have two forums in the members-only section of this board to discuss paranormal phenomena as well as Greater Magic.

So good luck out here with this effort.

#149196 - 03/06/06 02:34 PM Re: Plant studies. [Re: Nemo]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
And one devoted to gardening!

As for the possibility of plants possessing ESP powers... Extra-Sensory Perception. Just what are a plant's primary senses? I remember from highschool biology such things as phototropism and geotropism and hydrotropism, but really don't know much about the matter beyond that.

Alas most of My knowledge of plant lore is just that - lore, not science. I can tell you how to cure this that or the other with plants, but cannot usually say how exactly it does it. Doesn't stop Me using them to some fair effect, though.

#149197 - 03/06/06 02:35 PM Ah. I see! [Re: Chess]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
p-k4

(I truly despise the new chess notation!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12095 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405458 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements