Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#149627 - 03/08/06 03:46 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: crackergirl]
d1g1t Offline

Loc: Southwest UK
I completely agree with your point. When I finish one programming project, I rush off to the next one! There is no point finding sadness in this fact of life, instead simply revel! You are the architect of your life, and one man cannot finish a castle himself, but what he does, he loves.

#149628 - 03/09/06 12:59 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Poetaster]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell
Quote:

The difference between doing something and doing it well are miles apart.

Yea yea, I knew someone was going to point this out. I am sorry to be so negative on the creative arts. The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis. Arts (writing, singing etc) do take experience and technique. There are labels to them, but it is something people have been doing for millennia. People can start new drawings everyday if they wanted, but is rare that a person will invent a new method of open-heart surgery. Somehow I donít think reading a good novel is going to help save my life when Iím dying in the future. The simple fact that scientific accomplishments improve my quality of life will always make me see them more valuable than something like a picture, even if I drew it. Life may be the great indulgence and death may be the great abstinence; however, self-preservation is the highest law. Thus I cannot seem to move my great indulgence in any other direction than my self-preservation. You may interpret that as living on in a figurative sense, but someone once made it clear to me that the Satanic Bible is to be taken literally. That is why I frown at those planning to live on through their works.
"Satanists are epicurean, skeptical atheists who see Satan as a symbol of pride, individualism, and the quality of questioning all dogmas. The word in Hebrew means 'adversary' and so we are each 'Satans' to the doctrines that would have people use faith instead of reason to understand the universe in which we live. Our goal is to enjoy this, the only life we have and not waste it in anticipation of a mythical afterlife or an imagined apocalypse." - News 31 May, XLI A.S. in Reguards to The Satanic High Mass that happened on 6/6/6

- Noxilenticus Zodameranu

#149629 - 03/09/06 01:08 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

When you "go into your own darkness" to create something, it's like you spread some seeds on a virgin ground.

That's always good to relax then, on your "mental throne", enjoying the crop .

Then start again, again, then again

weee

#149630 - 03/09/06 08:20 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis.

Are you presently researching or involved in the development of anything pertaining to the topics you have here listed?

#149631 - 03/09/06 11:32 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Mr_Atrox]
Reznor Offline

I chose number three.

I have risen to a position of considerable responsibility within the Army, have took part in many conflicts, survived several "them or me" situations and I am now pretty satisfied with my life. I have a great job, very good wages and two beautiful daughters.

But there is always room for improvement!

#149632 - 03/11/06 02:55 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Tathariant Offline

Loc: Preston, UK
I've done some things I'm proud of, (won competitions for my writings, etc) and I'm currently working on my degree. After that, I might go for a masters. I have a long way to go, and by no means am I willing to rest on my laurels.

I can't imagine being completely happy with what I've achieved, and having no desire to further myself. To me, that's death. If you have nothing left to strive for, then you're living a half life.

#149633 - 03/11/06 04:15 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Mr_Atrox]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis.
Quote:

Are you presently researching or involved in the development of anything pertaining to the topics you have here listed?

Yes. I have been involved in the research of these my entire life. In some CoS SIGs I am very impressed at the information I have gotten about self-preservation topics. I would highly recommend getting involved in them. You only have one chance at life. There is no way I am going out of this world without a fight. I have great ideas, but am not financially stable enough to execute them at the moment. All the equipment that I need to work on such a highly scientific level costs billions. One man that I have read about named Royal Rife has already claimed to have cured cancer and many other diseases. I'm no fool. There are plenty of hoaxes out there in the world; however, the theory of treating diseases with electromagnetic therapy with different wavelengths made to destroy bacteria and viruses is something that I think needs to be looked into (that I will when I get financially stable). There are several research centers throughout the world trying to verify his works. You can read more about him if you are interested. I don't care about the conspiracy story behind Royal Rife so much as I do the ideas behind his research.

Right now my problem is money. I need to make at least 5 million dollars so I can have something to fall back on. 5 million is a minimum amount I could live on food and house and car and upkeep calculated; it seems expensive until you do the calculation. I need to isolate myself from the world so I can fully concentrate on what I need to do (the world meaning friends, family, and all familiar acquaintances I have left behind back at home). This is one of the reasons I have gone so far away from home (1500 miles from New Hampshire to Mississippi) for college. I must also balance out all the hard and stressful work I do with some kind of ďoutletĒ. For me that is usually sexually related. I could sit here and write you a book all day about why the brain builds up stress and absolutely needs to get rid of it (labeling all the steps in-between), but that would be ridiculous. Somehow right now between my aggressive physical work-out schedule, my sexual outlet, and brainstorming the rest of the day (even while Iím in class) I have managed to balance my endorphin levels out correctly enough to keep my mind focused. My extremely difficult workout also helps build up my immune system which is very important. With all the stress I put on my body, the workout trains my brain to produce less corticosteroids to attack my immune system. I get sick much less often now, even though I do have allergy-like symptoms sometimes during the day due to the stress catching up with me (runny nose, watery eyes, etc). I know I do not have allergies because I have been tested for them.

Sorry to make such a long response, but you can see the effort is there. I know what Iím doing in life and I have big desires. Right now I am just in the process of assessing how much time I have to work with and how I am going to come up with the cash.
"Satanists are epicurean, skeptical atheists who see Satan as a symbol of pride, individualism, and the quality of questioning all dogmas. The word in Hebrew means 'adversary' and so we are each 'Satans' to the doctrines that would have people use faith instead of reason to understand the universe in which we live. Our goal is to enjoy this, the only life we have and not waste it in anticipation of a mythical afterlife or an imagined apocalypse." - News 31 May, XLI A.S. in Reguards to The Satanic High Mass that happened on 6/6/6

#149634 - 03/11/06 05:26 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Do you have a plan on how you are going to achieve these goal of reaching $5 million? Detailed planning is the only way to reach such a goal. Wishing for it obviously doesn't get one too far. Also do realise that most people when they have that amount of money, do not have it in hard cash, but in assets/investments. Has that been taken into account in your goals?

My advice, should you seriously have ideas to pursue is aiming for grants. If your ideas are sound, and again I stress serious, you can be eligible.

If you are still at a point with high dreams but no means, then begin working a plan that will take you where you need to go.

#149635 - 03/11/06 08:45 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
The impression I get is that you haven't actually done anything.

So how exactly have you contributed to any of the fields you mentioned?

Having big ideas is fantastic.

Until you do something about them, however, condescension towards those that actually have accomplished something - whether you appreciate it or not - is ridiculous.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#149636 - 03/11/06 12:46 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Adelaide Australia hey? That is a very interesting place. I talk with a really sweet girl that lives there all the time on MSN. To answer your questions :

Quote:

Do you have a plan on how you are going to achieve these [sic] goal of reaching $5 million? Detailed planning is the only way to reach such a goal. Wishing for it obviously doesn't get one too far. Also do realise [sic] that most people when they have that amount of money, do not have it in hard cash, but in assets/investments. Has that been taken into account in your goals?

Yes and yes. It is very easy to take money from stupid people. There are a number of services I have thought about investing in, but it is hard to look at the statistics and figure out which one is going to make me the most money in the least amount of time. I want to be sure exactly which one I should do before I waste my precious time on them.

Quote:

My advice, should you seriously have ideas to pursue [sic] is aiming for grants. If your ideas are sound, and again I stress serious, you can be eligible.

They have an Entrepreneur program at my school where if you take a certain amount of classes and present yourself with a reasonable idea they will invest the money and launch it. I myself have always considered grants to be for suckers. It is an excuse for a corporation to leech the benefits from my genius. Sometimes it is good to make friends. I like to make friends; however, it is not good when your friends eat all the cookies from your cookie jar.

Instead what I plan to do is to get a nice high paying job in computer programming and frugally sit on my money until I have enough to build a prototype or invest the money and time into directing a business. That way if I bust I will have some small hard assets to fall back on (and I could get another high paying job in the future if I quit mine fairly easily). I already have an internship promised to me next summer, and possible co-oping for my junior and senior year of college. I am in the process of executing my plan. I have been since 8th grade when I decided to go to a private high school, which really broadened my education and made it easy to get into college.

As for my billion dollar ideasÖ why would I tell you them so you could steal them? I would rather leave you dumbfounded and thinking I am just another punk with nothing to offer by not even discussing the concepts.

#149637 - 03/11/06 03:54 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I chose option two: The time I spent in the Marine Corps was epic, but not anything near what I envision as being the end all and be all of accomplishment. Currently I'm working on my degree, and I am learning the art of metal working/ jewelry making. Will I ever be satisfied? No. No, I don't think I could ever be completely satisfied. I will always be hungry.

#149638 - 03/11/06 04:32 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
ebmetalcraft Offline

Loc: Northern California
In my opinion what is important is that you are self satisfied and have pride in your own accomplishments. What I consider an accomplishment others may not and vice vursa. Accomplishments are personal victories that don't really need the approval or acceptance of others. If it's recognition you seek well...... that's another topic alltogether.

Myself personally believe I have accomplished more than most. I also believe that if I were to accomplish nothing more in my life I would feel quite stagnant and bored. Without further challenges to overcome or goals to reach what is there other than just existance?

#149639 - 03/11/06 06:00 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I picked the second one because I am still taking the steps that will benefit my family and me in the years to come. You canít build a reputation on what you are ďgoing to do,Ē but what I have done was complete my first semester of college with all Bís. I know that isnít spectacular, but having not been in school in ten years Iíd say I didnít do to bad, and so far I'm doing rather well in my second. That's all I'll add because I still have a whole lot of work to do.

#149640 - 03/11/06 07:07 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

As for my billion dollar ideasÖ why would I tell you them so you could steal them? I would rather leave you dumbfounded and thinking I am just another punk with nothing to offer by not even discussing the concepts.

I never asked to hear your ideas, and quite frankly I don't care to know. Your ideas are not enough to give you any credibility. Anyone can have an idea. It is the select few with entrepreneurial qualities who do something about it. As for proving you are not a punk, it seems it is moreso something you need to prove to yourself.

You don't seem to understand the concept of grants versus investment. Grants are generally given without a need to share in company equity. It is with investments that equity is taken.

Your plan of getting a high paid computer job to make you your five million so then you can follow your goals I think leaves something to be desired. That is not anymore of a plan than anyone with any job stating that they will save millions of dollars and then do 'x' with it. Seems your dreams may be waiting some time, and will likely be already pursued by others before then anyway.

Now, regarding your 'dumbfounded' comment. I will state again: I do not care about your ideas. You would find almost any entrepreneur would not. They are too busy actually doing.

Please keep your 'billion dollar' fantasy to yourself.

Edited by BigBad (03/11/06 07:44 PM)

#149641 - 03/11/06 07:13 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: J. Hagalaz]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

You canít build a reputation on what you are ďgoing to do,Ē but what I have done..

You are dead right Malathion. Divorcing fantasies from reality is often a difficult process for many. Good stuff on going back to college and good luck with your studies.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43975 Topics
406010 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements