Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#149612 - 03/07/06 09:10 PM Personal Acomplishments
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Personal accomplishment are very important for a Satanist since is an indicator of how successful an individual is in life. Life is survival, but surviving alone is not all. To be complete, a person should also do things that separate him/her form the herd of mediocrity around him.

When I say “accomplishment” I mean things you have achieved by your own effort. Things that makes you proud of yourself when you look back at your life.

Some of us are artists or musicians. Others use their intelligence to succeed in business. We all have things we have accomplished in life and a list of things we are working on and want to have finished in the future.

I would like to know how other members feel about their present “step” in the ladder of their own personal success.

If you were to write the story of your life so far, to this day, where would you place yourself? Just starting? Half way to the top? Right on the summit laughing at the puny mortals down there?

I know the options of the poll are quite limited, so feel free to expand your answers.
How do you feel about your acomplishments?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 03/07/06 09:07 PM
View the results of this poll.

#149613 - 03/07/06 09:21 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
In case anyone is wondering, I selected number two myself. I’m happy with some of the things I have done so far, like publishing my artwork on magazines in various countries. I have also lived through a couple of crazy adventures that would make some fun chapters if I were to write my biography.

But feel the best is yet to come. My “to do” list is pretty long and I have a lot to do before I’ll start feeling satisfied.

#149614 - 03/07/06 09:25 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Asenath Offline

I chose 2, simply for the fact that I haven't had too many years to accompish large goals, and there's so much more to do! Personally, I don't think I could ever stop striving to accomplish things, and just sit back and admire my handiwork. There's forever something engaging to study, do, or explain.

Life, the neverending quest!

#149615 - 03/07/06 10:47 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Dak Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Somewhere else
Quote:

Personal accomplishment are very important for a Satanist

Damn right for this one.

Quote:

A person should also do things that separate him/her form the herd of mediocrity around him.

Everyday when I see people I ask myself, "Why am I better than them?" I know why I am different but that is not enough. Luckily, I have the answers.

Quote:

When I say “accomplishment” I mean things you have achieved by your own effort.

I watched an interveiw with a former Nazi SS officer describing their indoctrination. He said something like, "Europeans are the best race, Germans are the best of the Europeans, and we are the best of the Germans,so we were like gods." It is ridiculous to think that your birth alone will give you the right to claim superiority. You can come with genetic predispositions to help you get started though. I guess you can start with social and financial advantages too. Either way these do not merit respect on their own.

I am a mainstream Satanist and I use traditional measures of wordly success as my markers. With every living breath I am looking to be better, stronger, wealthier, sharper, more beautiful, and happier. I have and will use all means to achieve these ends. "I am a Satanist and the highest embodiment of human life."
Hail Satan! Hail Me!
"High proof ye now have given to be the race of Satan, for I glory in the name Antagonist of heaven's almighty king, amply have merited of me of all Th'infernal empire that so near heaven's door triumphal with triumphal act have met, mine with this glorious work, and made one realm, Hell and this world one realm, one contintent of easy thoroughfare." - Satan, Paradise Lost

#149616 - 03/07/06 10:48 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell
I chose number 1. Anyone can write a book, sing a song, or draw a picture. I've been doing it since I was in kindergarten; it is really not that hard. Where is my mansion? Where is my F1 Maclaren? Where is the entourage of sodomy loving nympho women slaving to my every need? Have I achieved immortality yet?

Until I have answered at least one of those questions, I will never consider myself to be anywhere near accomplished.

The F1 Maclaren

See ya!
"Satanists are epicurean, skeptical atheists who see Satan as a symbol of pride, individualism, and the quality of questioning all dogmas. The word in Hebrew means 'adversary' and so we are each 'Satans' to the doctrines that would have people use faith instead of reason to understand the universe in which we live. Our goal is to enjoy this, the only life we have and not waste it in anticipation of a mythical afterlife or an imagined apocalypse." - News 31 May, XLI A.S. in Reguards to The Satanic High Mass that happened on 6/6/6

- Noxilenticus Zodameranu

#149617 - 03/07/06 10:57 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

Anyone can write a book, sing a song, or draw a picture.

The difference between doing something and doing it well are miles apart.

Some people just can't write.

Some people just can't sing.

Some people just can't draw; I'm one of these.

To claim that "anyone" can do it is absurd.

Clearly you lack self-awareness and the ability to distinguish between shit and the real mccoy.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#149618 - 03/07/06 11:01 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
uncleherpe Offline

Im not very happy with the things Ive accomplished yet. Im doing a lot better than most people my age(buying a house, good credit, good paying job, etc) but its only an accomplishment because I am young I am not super pleased with that, I want to do things that are impressive regardless. Being my age feels like a transitionary period in life and I am trying to choose what to do very wisely and consider everything. I have some things that will take time to get straightened out before I can completely move into the next phase of my life and get into school. I have so many passions that its hard to choose a career. I do feel I am an exceptional person who will do well in whatever I choose, I just want to like my job.

#149619 - 03/07/06 11:10 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I picked #2. I have one graduate degree, and I'm working on a second. I have some big ambitions, but I'm young and still figuring out how to realize them. (I was actually picking away at a part of my project when I decided to take a break and log in here.)

#149620 - 03/07/06 11:18 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
the_poison_elf Offline

Loc: Auburn, Maine, USA
I selected the seccond one myself. I'm rather pleased with what I've acomplished so far, such as placing myself through four very good years of pre-med schooling under my own means. Anyone that is vaugely familiar with the medical education process will know that I have a long way to go still, however.

I recently did a very small (in the scheme of things) activity that has had quite the boosting effect on my outlook. It's just a little thing that makes me think "hey, things are going well for me." I've recently (ie: within the past week) printed up my first set of personal business cards. I'm currently both active and successful enough (though still entry-level) in a couple fields that the cards are not only not an exaggeration, but almost a necessity. As I said, it is a baby step but I'm still young and have a long way to go. At least the going is good so far.

#149621 - 03/08/06 12:14 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

I chose option two as have most. Though I think it is safe to say that within the context of our lives, we may see the amount of accomplishment somewhat different.

I am proud of the things I have done and am doing. Many would not take some of the steps (or risks) that I have. I still chose option two as within the context of my life, I believe I have a long way to go and much to offer (to offer myself that is).

Perhaps it is a common quality of Satanists to not be content with what one has done, but always strive for more.

#149622 - 03/08/06 05:22 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
Self satisfaction is something I have never been familiar with, I personally can't see how someone with a genuine enquiring mind could ever have the comfort of self satisfaction.

The world is a big place, and there are so many things I have not yet seen, heard, tasted, experienced, discovered I don't think I will ever be at the point where I look down on the world and say to myself "yawn, been there, done that".

Even if a walk into a library, (something a lot of people should do more of) I can pick up a book at random and learn something new right there and then.

So many things to discover and so little time.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#149623 - 03/08/06 10:40 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Poetaster]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
On the shoulders, yes, "anyone" might be able to sing some kind of song, write some kind of book, or paint some kind of picture. But, as you pointed out, not everyone is talented, committed, and/or trained in one or more of these areas, so the final product might be some kind of shit.

The current culture we live in often places more emphasis on quantity and flash than on quality and substance. That's why so many people can't stand to turn on the radio anymore. Therefore, knowing that you've created something that is better than that can be a great source of pride and joy.

Not to mention, if you do write a book, compose or sing a song, or draw a picture, and it's what you love to do, your reward and indulgence comes from savoring the process, first and foremost. Yes, there may be rewards and applause afterward that make it even sweeter, but if you're doing it solely for the applause, then you're settling for only a half-sweetened pie. Satanists choose hobbies and pursuits that are ideally sweet throughout the process, from start to finish.

This is why I write. I do it well, and when my muse is "on," it gives me great joy and enjoyment. Once I finish something, I also enjoy the encouragement and praise I might receive, and I just enjoy being able to sit back and bask in the fact that I completed something good. When I finally publish some books (which'll be a while), I'll also enjoy the money I get, too .

I marked numero 2, by the way, because while I have done lots of cool things so far, the really meaty things I'd like accomplish still lie in the future. I sometimes get mad at myself for not progressing fast enough, though.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#149624 - 03/08/06 11:05 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: TrojZyr]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Exactly.

I love to draw.

I even like my drawings.

However, I'm not blind to the fact that my talent is mediocre at best.

As you pointed out, quantity over quality is the going rate in today's consumer culture.

And that's fine.

Provided self-styled experts don't take it upon themselves to give criticism they have no right to give.

Taking pride in your own work is fantastic; nothing else is required in my opinion - this of course is directly contingent upon your goals.

However, self-awareness is the key. As I've stressed, know your limitations. I hold no illusions that what I do, someone else is not doing better.

There's a fine line between pompous claims and authentic talent.

I love your ability to digest a topic and get straight to the heart of it.

Hail those that know! Hail TrojZyr!
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#149625 - 03/08/06 11:37 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
BlameMe Offline

Loc: Scotland
I fall into the second category. I've already achieved a goal of mine that I've had since I was old enough to understand what the word meant: I'm at University. I remember the day I got my acceptance letter, I was so thrilled. I'm the first in my family to attend University, so a lot of fuss was made. However, I still havea long way to go. I have yet to gain my Masters in History (first class honours, and nothing less will do)... And lets just say there's rather a lot left for me to achieve outside of academia. But I'm happy. The idea that there's still so much for me to do fills me with excitement. I can't wait to see what the future holds for me. I'm 19, there's a lot left for me to do. And I plan on living long enough to do everything I want to do and then some. A life without goals and ambition isn't really a life, now, is it?

#149626 - 03/08/06 01:29 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
I will never be able to sit back and just look over the kingdom I've created in complete and utter satisfaction. There's always something to do. Anyone who's ever undertaken an art project will tell you that there's always just one more brush stroke, one more ink blot, one more pencil shading that can be added. This is the way it's always been with my life, and this is the way it will always be. I'm very content with what I've accomplished, but in no way am I completely satisfied with what I have now. I'm always looking for the bigger better deal, and I don't see myself changing that any time in the future. Bill Gates has everything anyone could ever want. He still works. I'd do the same. I have done some pretty great things in my life (I thought they were pretty great), but I'm not near where I want to be yet. I'm not sure exactly if I'll ever be satisfied with what I have. I'm just driven and I probably always will be.
By the way, I picked the second option. It looks like for the first time in my life that I'm actually part of the majority. Man, that scares me!

#149627 - 03/08/06 03:46 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: crackergirl]
d1g1t Offline

Loc: Southwest UK
I completely agree with your point. When I finish one programming project, I rush off to the next one! There is no point finding sadness in this fact of life, instead simply revel! You are the architect of your life, and one man cannot finish a castle himself, but what he does, he loves.

#149628 - 03/09/06 12:59 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Poetaster]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The difference between doing something and doing it well are miles apart.

Yea yea, I knew someone was going to point this out. I am sorry to be so negative on the creative arts. The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis. Arts (writing, singing etc) do take experience and technique. There are labels to them, but it is something people have been doing for millennia. People can start new drawings everyday if they wanted, but is rare that a person will invent a new method of open-heart surgery. Somehow I don’t think reading a good novel is going to help save my life when I’m dying in the future. The simple fact that scientific accomplishments improve my quality of life will always make me see them more valuable than something like a picture, even if I drew it. Life may be the great indulgence and death may be the great abstinence; however, self-preservation is the highest law. Thus I cannot seem to move my great indulgence in any other direction than my self-preservation. You may interpret that as living on in a figurative sense, but someone once made it clear to me that the Satanic Bible is to be taken literally. That is why I frown at those planning to live on through their works.
"Satanists are epicurean, skeptical atheists who see Satan as a symbol of pride, individualism, and the quality of questioning all dogmas. The word in Hebrew means 'adversary' and so we are each 'Satans' to the doctrines that would have people use faith instead of reason to understand the universe in which we live. Our goal is to enjoy this, the only life we have and not waste it in anticipation of a mythical afterlife or an imagined apocalypse." - News 31 May, XLI A.S. in Reguards to The Satanic High Mass that happened on 6/6/6

#149629 - 03/09/06 01:08 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

When you "go into your own darkness" to create something, it's like you spread some seeds on a virgin ground.

That's always good to relax then, on your "mental throne", enjoying the crop .

Then start again, again, then again

weee

#149630 - 03/09/06 08:20 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis.

Are you presently researching or involved in the development of anything pertaining to the topics you have here listed?

#149631 - 03/09/06 11:32 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Mr_Atrox]
Reznor Offline

I chose number three.

I have risen to a position of considerable responsibility within the Army, have took part in many conflicts, survived several "them or me" situations and I am now pretty satisfied with my life. I have a great job, very good wages and two beautiful daughters.

But there is always room for improvement!

#149632 - 03/11/06 02:55 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Tathariant Offline

Loc: Preston, UK
I've done some things I'm proud of, (won competitions for my writings, etc) and I'm currently working on my degree. After that, I might go for a masters. I have a long way to go, and by no means am I willing to rest on my laurels.

I can't imagine being completely happy with what I've achieved, and having no desire to further myself. To me, that's death. If you have nothing left to strive for, then you're living a half life.

#149633 - 03/11/06 04:15 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Mr_Atrox]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis.
Quote:

Are you presently researching or involved in the development of anything pertaining to the topics you have here listed?

Yes. I have been involved in the research of these my entire life. In some CoS SIGs I am very impressed at the information I have gotten about self-preservation topics. I would highly recommend getting involved in them. You only have one chance at life. There is no way I am going out of this world without a fight. I have great ideas, but am not financially stable enough to execute them at the moment. All the equipment that I need to work on such a highly scientific level costs billions. One man that I have read about named Royal Rife has already claimed to have cured cancer and many other diseases. I'm no fool. There are plenty of hoaxes out there in the world; however, the theory of treating diseases with electromagnetic therapy with different wavelengths made to destroy bacteria and viruses is something that I think needs to be looked into (that I will when I get financially stable). There are several research centers throughout the world trying to verify his works. You can read more about him if you are interested. I don't care about the conspiracy story behind Royal Rife so much as I do the ideas behind his research.

Right now my problem is money. I need to make at least 5 million dollars so I can have something to fall back on. 5 million is a minimum amount I could live on food and house and car and upkeep calculated; it seems expensive until you do the calculation. I need to isolate myself from the world so I can fully concentrate on what I need to do (the world meaning friends, family, and all familiar acquaintances I have left behind back at home). This is one of the reasons I have gone so far away from home (1500 miles from New Hampshire to Mississippi) for college. I must also balance out all the hard and stressful work I do with some kind of “outlet”. For me that is usually sexually related. I could sit here and write you a book all day about why the brain builds up stress and absolutely needs to get rid of it (labeling all the steps in-between), but that would be ridiculous. Somehow right now between my aggressive physical work-out schedule, my sexual outlet, and brainstorming the rest of the day (even while I’m in class) I have managed to balance my endorphin levels out correctly enough to keep my mind focused. My extremely difficult workout also helps build up my immune system which is very important. With all the stress I put on my body, the workout trains my brain to produce less corticosteroids to attack my immune system. I get sick much less often now, even though I do have allergy-like symptoms sometimes during the day due to the stress catching up with me (runny nose, watery eyes, etc). I know I do not have allergies because I have been tested for them.

Sorry to make such a long response, but you can see the effort is there. I know what I’m doing in life and I have big desires. Right now I am just in the process of assessing how much time I have to work with and how I am going to come up with the cash.

#149634 - 03/11/06 05:26 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Do you have a plan on how you are going to achieve these goal of reaching $5 million? Detailed planning is the only way to reach such a goal. Wishing for it obviously doesn't get one too far. Also do realise that most people when they have that amount of money, do not have it in hard cash, but in assets/investments. Has that been taken into account in your goals?

My advice, should you seriously have ideas to pursue is aiming for grants. If your ideas are sound, and again I stress serious, you can be eligible.

If you are still at a point with high dreams but no means, then begin working a plan that will take you where you need to go.

#149635 - 03/11/06 08:45 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

The impression I get is that you haven't actually done anything.

So how exactly have you contributed to any of the fields you mentioned?

Having big ideas is fantastic.

Until you do something about them, however, condescension towards those that actually have accomplished something - whether you appreciate it or not - is ridiculous.

- Sam Harris

#149636 - 03/11/06 12:46 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Adelaide Australia hey? That is a very interesting place. I talk with a really sweet girl that lives there all the time on MSN. To answer your questions :

Quote:

Do you have a plan on how you are going to achieve these [sic] goal of reaching $5 million? Detailed planning is the only way to reach such a goal. Wishing for it obviously doesn't get one too far. Also do realise [sic] that most people when they have that amount of money, do not have it in hard cash, but in assets/investments. Has that been taken into account in your goals?

Yes and yes. It is very easy to take money from stupid people. There are a number of services I have thought about investing in, but it is hard to look at the statistics and figure out which one is going to make me the most money in the least amount of time. I want to be sure exactly which one I should do before I waste my precious time on them.

Quote:

My advice, should you seriously have ideas to pursue [sic] is aiming for grants. If your ideas are sound, and again I stress serious, you can be eligible.

They have an Entrepreneur program at my school where if you take a certain amount of classes and present yourself with a reasonable idea they will invest the money and launch it. I myself have always considered grants to be for suckers. It is an excuse for a corporation to leech the benefits from my genius. Sometimes it is good to make friends. I like to make friends; however, it is not good when your friends eat all the cookies from your cookie jar.

Instead what I plan to do is to get a nice high paying job in computer programming and frugally sit on my money until I have enough to build a prototype or invest the money and time into directing a business. That way if I bust I will have some small hard assets to fall back on (and I could get another high paying job in the future if I quit mine fairly easily). I already have an internship promised to me next summer, and possible co-oping for my junior and senior year of college. I am in the process of executing my plan. I have been since 8th grade when I decided to go to a private high school, which really broadened my education and made it easy to get into college.

As for my billion dollar ideas… why would I tell you them so you could steal them? I would rather leave you dumbfounded and thinking I am just another punk with nothing to offer by not even discussing the concepts.

#149637 - 03/11/06 03:54 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I chose option two: The time I spent in the Marine Corps was epic, but not anything near what I envision as being the end all and be all of accomplishment. Currently I'm working on my degree, and I am learning the art of metal working/ jewelry making. Will I ever be satisfied? No. No, I don't think I could ever be completely satisfied. I will always be hungry.

#149638 - 03/11/06 04:32 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
ebmetalcraft Offline

Loc: Northern California
In my opinion what is important is that you are self satisfied and have pride in your own accomplishments. What I consider an accomplishment others may not and vice vursa. Accomplishments are personal victories that don't really need the approval or acceptance of others. If it's recognition you seek well...... that's another topic alltogether.

Myself personally believe I have accomplished more than most. I also believe that if I were to accomplish nothing more in my life I would feel quite stagnant and bored. Without further challenges to overcome or goals to reach what is there other than just existance?

#149639 - 03/11/06 06:00 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I picked the second one because I am still taking the steps that will benefit my family and me in the years to come. You can’t build a reputation on what you are “going to do,” but what I have done was complete my first semester of college with all B’s. I know that isn’t spectacular, but having not been in school in ten years I’d say I didn’t do to bad, and so far I'm doing rather well in my second. That's all I'll add because I still have a whole lot of work to do.

#149640 - 03/11/06 07:07 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

As for my billion dollar ideas… why would I tell you them so you could steal them? I would rather leave you dumbfounded and thinking I am just another punk with nothing to offer by not even discussing the concepts.

I never asked to hear your ideas, and quite frankly I don't care to know. Your ideas are not enough to give you any credibility. Anyone can have an idea. It is the select few with entrepreneurial qualities who do something about it. As for proving you are not a punk, it seems it is moreso something you need to prove to yourself.

You don't seem to understand the concept of grants versus investment. Grants are generally given without a need to share in company equity. It is with investments that equity is taken.

Your plan of getting a high paid computer job to make you your five million so then you can follow your goals I think leaves something to be desired. That is not anymore of a plan than anyone with any job stating that they will save millions of dollars and then do 'x' with it. Seems your dreams may be waiting some time, and will likely be already pursued by others before then anyway.

Now, regarding your 'dumbfounded' comment. I will state again: I do not care about your ideas. You would find almost any entrepreneur would not. They are too busy actually doing.

Please keep your 'billion dollar' fantasy to yourself.

Edited by BigBad (03/11/06 07:44 PM)

#149641 - 03/11/06 07:13 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: J. Hagalaz]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

You can’t build a reputation on what you are “going to do,” but what I have done..

You are dead right Malathion. Divorcing fantasies from reality is often a difficult process for many. Good stuff on going back to college and good luck with your studies.

#149642 - 03/11/06 08:32 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Your plan of getting a high paid computer job to make you your five million so then you can follow your goals I think leaves something to be desired. That is not anymore of a plan than anyone with any job stating that they will save millions of dollars and then do 'x' with it. Seems your dreams may be waiting some time, and will likely be already pursued by others before then anyway.

Interesting. And people tell me I have bad comprehension skills on this forum. I never said I was going to earn 5 million dollars from working. That would be ridiculous. It would take me the rest of my life. Saving up a good 100,000 (not including assets) will only take me about 5 years though which will also help with the research and experience portion of helping me build my prototype (or launch a business like I stated above). It will also help me establish a good residence to work on my ideas in private.

Quote:

I never asked to hear your ideas, and quite frankly I don't care to know.

You asked me:

Quote:

Do you have a plan on how you are going to achieve these [sic] goal of reaching $5 million?

And my plan had nothing to do with my ideas?... It seemed relevant to me.

Quote:

Now, regarding your 'dumbfounded' comment. I will state again: I do not care about your ideas. You would find almost any entrepreneur would not. They are too busy actually doing.

Really? That's interesting. As a private entrepreneur I care about your ideas. Care to share them with me? In fact, if you're a CEO like you say in your profile, where is the company you work for (or created)? What makes you so "BigBad"?

#149643 - 03/11/06 09:02 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

Interesting. And people tell me I have bad comprehension skills on this forum.

Your inability to stay on topic shows your insecurity. You need to resort to childish attacks to boost your own ego.

I asked if you have a plan, I did not ask what the plan was. Try reading things twice.

Quote:

Really? That's interesting. As a private entrepreneur I care about your ideas. Care to share them with me? In fact, if you're a CEO like you say in your profile, where is the company you work for (or created)? What makes you so "BigBad"?

If I considered you someone with ideas of value, perhaps I would be interested. But I do not.

You are a student with ideas. That does not make you an entrepreneur. Would I share my ideas with you? You would need to prove your value first and that is obviously not going to happen.

To educate you, I am CEO and owner/creator of a company based in Adelaide but which operates throughout Australia. I am involved in the setup of another company at this time which will operate in an upcoming market which is currently being trialled within this country. I am studying double Masters degrees, in 'Entrepreneurship' and 'Science & Technology Commercialisation'. I have been involved in business and project management for some years, and have established relationships with business-people Australia-wide.

My initial post posed questions to you in the interest of discussion, that it may help you think about things that you may not have. It was not intended to be a tit for tat throw at each other.

If you wish to continue this 'intellectually', then please do. Should you have nothing of actual value to say, I will not respond as I do have better things to do than defend myself to someone who has had difficulty in earning my respect.

#149644 - 03/11/06 09:17 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments *DELETED* [Re: Noxilenticus]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Post deleted by BigBad

#149645 - 03/11/06 09:18 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
I think your bad! Love the avatar.

#149646 - 03/11/06 09:20 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Why thank you Scarlet

#149647 - 03/11/06 09:37 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Quote:

To educate you, I am CEO and owner/creator of a company based in Adelaide but which operates throughout Australia. I am involved in the setup of another company at this time which will operate in an upcoming market which is currently being trialled within this country. I am studying double Masters degrees, in 'Entrepreneurship' and 'Science & Technology Commercialisation'. I have been involved in business and project management for some years, and have established relationships with business-people Australia-wide.

Why do I doubt these claims?
As they are just as boisterous as those made by the opposite party.

Quote:

I will not respond as I do have better things to do than defend myself to someone who has had difficulty in earning my respect.

You must earn other's respect as well.

Beware of communication errors.

#149648 - 03/11/06 09:44 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: DataLore]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Regarding communication errors, you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

Regarding my claims, they are true and can be substantiated.

#149649 - 03/12/06 02:07 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>he reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis.

Maybe to you. But to the person who did the actual creation it means everything! And that is what matters.

The act of reading a great novel is not meant to change and shake the world. Maybe change and shake your personal world, or maybe not. It is a good time spent.

So, by your account, those who don't make world changing products or ideas have no meat or fulfillment in their lives? That seems strange.

So, how have you moved the world lately?

But that is a silly question, one that is played by the wanna-be world heros.

The real question is, what have you done to change, improve, or enrich your world?

It seems to me that art has a great influence in people's lives and has been carried through history even stronger than science ever has. But that is a give or take situation.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#149650 - 03/12/06 02:11 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

You are basing your personal tastes with those of others. Tastes differ and are subjective. You cannot condemn someone for spending hours creating an amazing piece of art and not some global cancer cure.

You make wide claims based off of opinions. Science and art both have their places and their luxuries.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#149651 - 03/12/06 05:24 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
Definitely #2, i'm proud of my personal achievements..i succeeded in building up my own company from scratch, i toured the half of the world with my band, and basically do whatever i feel like doing..but there's more to do.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#149652 - 03/12/06 10:22 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

I chose the second one down. Accomplishments are a part of life; I have made many small accomplishments and a few major ones in my life so far. Some of my more significant accomplishments include: Finding myself and finding happiness, getting emotionally strong, realizing that I am in control of my life, getting over certain fears, getting a professional job at the age of twenty, getting four raises in three years and having the opportunity to try more advanced tasks at work when they are available to do, getting a nice place of my own to live, and learning how to cook.

To me, there is no such thing as being done accomplishing things, and I have no desire to NOT have to accomplish anything more. I will always continue to accomplish things and advance myself in life, up until I fall down dead. There is a lot more that I want to do with my life. I thrive on challenges and life ever advancing. These are the things I live for.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#149653 - 03/12/06 10:39 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: ElJago]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

I personally can't see how someone with a genuine enquiring mind could ever have the comfort of self satisfaction.

I totally disagree with that statement.

To me it is the ambition and actually engaging in the endeavor itself that satisfies me the most.

My self satisfaction comes from DOING.

How "satisfying" could it feel when you have nothing left to anticipate? And how "satisfying" could it feel when you have nothing else you ever need to do but sit on your ass and rot until you die?

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#149654 - 03/13/06 06:35 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Barb]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
My point was that nobody knows enough about anything to truly have a smug self satisfied approach to it.
Whenever I try to find out about a particular subject, when I do research into it, it generally leads to something else, which in turn leads to something else, which in turn.......adinfintum.
Your point about being satisfied sitting on my ass ?, I don't know where you've got that from, you have completely and utterly misinterpreted what I said.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#149655 - 03/13/06 06:59 AM Art & Science [Re: Noxilenticus]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis. Arts (writing, singing etc) do take experience and technique. There are labels to them, but it is something people have been doing for millennia. People can start new drawings everyday if they wanted, but is rare that a person will invent a new method of open-heart surgery. Somehow I don’t think reading a good novel is going to help save my life when I’m dying in the future.

You're comparing the everyday routine aspect of art with the once-in-a-generation breakthroughs in science. That's disingenuous. One could just as easily turn it around: "People can chart the kinds of slugs in their garden every day if they wanted, but it's rare that a person will develop a voice or an image that will fascinate a generation."

Compare the great with the great, or the trivial with the trivial, not the great with the trivial. That isn't fair.

And I agree entirely with Discipline. Science gives us greater power and fascilitates survival; but art makes life worth living, by profoundly delighting the senses.

Edited by reprobate (03/13/06 06:59 AM)

#149656 - 03/13/06 08:34 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

I measure success by both achieving the goals that you have set for yourself and being happy with your life. I am happy with my accomplishments thus far, but I still have a lot more that I want to do. I live a better quality of life then all but 2 or 3 members of mine and my wife’s entire family, and they are near twice my age. I am happy with my life, I have no regrets. Every goal that I have set for myself I have accomplished, but I am always setting more goals and that will likely be a never ending cycle. So that puts me sort of in between options 2 and 3.

The Temple | The Elite

#149657 - 03/13/06 09:35 AM Re: Art & Science [Re: reprobate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
And I agree entirely with Discipline. Science gives us greater power and fascilitates survival; but art makes life worth living, by profoundly delighting the senses.

Thirding that.

And, we need both types--and other types--of people in the world, to keep it going 'round (well, not literally--that happens anyway...).

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#149658 - 03/13/06 10:11 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The simple fact that scientific accomplishments improve my quality of life will always make me see them more valuable than something like a picture, even if I drew it.

And there is nothing wrong with that, if it suits you. But that does not suit everyone. There is no point in being alive if you can't actually live. For many, enjoying the finer points of life and art is really living. For others the pursuit of scientific advances is. One is not greater than the other, they are just different. I personally think that my life would be pretty dull if all I had was science and no art, and vice versa.

The Temple | The Elite

#149659 - 03/13/06 11:24 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Discipline]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Some of the best scientists have approached the subject with the minds of artists. Some of the most enduring scientific concepts are also the most beautiful works of art. For example, the pentagram was created by Pythagoras as a symbol for the Pythagorean society and contains within its segments and triangles the golden ratio, which was and is still used today to create stunning works of architecture.

Phi

#149660 - 03/13/06 03:29 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
DataLore Offline

Quote:

Regarding my claims, they are true and can be substantiated.

But they don't really need to be substantiated, because there is no real benefit of bragging here.

Bragging as a "ritual" is another story.

#149661 - 03/13/06 04:04 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
DataLore Offline

Quote:

Yea yea, I knew someone was going to point this out. I am sorry to be so negative on the creative arts. The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis. Arts (writing, singing etc) do take experience and technique. There are labels to them, but it is something people have been doing for millennia. People can start new drawings everyday if they wanted, but is rare that a person will invent a new method of open-heart surgery.

In a later post than this one, which I am replying to, you mentioned sex is an outlet for you. Art is also an outlet, a far better rewarding one at that. Imagine the satisfaction of accomplishing such great ability in an outlet to flush counter productive emotions. Art creates a tangible emotional flushing (ritual) that can be experienced by others by means of
experiencing the tangible work. This in turn brings power in the form of money and reputation. Sex (just by itself) can produce the same results but, has a far smaller "audience" and reward.
Many of those who you refer to as "pursuing art", are not.
It is simply their "outlet" and they ultimately get rewarded for making themselves feel better. (Although I don't always approve of some artists who are over-rewarded.)

Nox, wouldn't you like to get paid for performing and enjoying your outlet.

#149662 - 03/13/06 10:00 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

I agree with you wholeheartedly. That is the very reason I indulge in painting, drawing, and music all the while tinkering in certain fields of science. In my opinion both can be intermixed and both can be very rewarding.

I like Pi more than Phi. But I also like Theta because cosine, sine, and tangent are fun to use in mathematics.

No one ever mentions e. Poor little guy is used and abused and never given any gratitude.

What about other constants? Could they not also be considered as artwork? A labor of love?

#149663 - 03/14/06 06:22 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Discipline]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

In my opinion both can be intermixed and both can be very rewarding.

A whole brain is better than half.

#149664 - 03/15/06 08:52 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Remorazz Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have already done more than most people do in a lifetime, thought that doesn’t mean I will stop working on more.

That is all.

HS! G We have wasted far too much time explaining that Satanism has nothing to do with kidnapping, drug abuse, child molestation, animal or child sacrifice , or any number of other acts that idiots, hysterics or opportunists would like to credit us with. By Anton Szandor LaVey ©1988 PENTAGONAL REVISIONISM: A FIVE-POINT PROGRAM ~Special Thanks to: Agent Jack Malebranche for his permission to use his art in my avatar.~ SETI Combat Camera Cool Products

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405208 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements