Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#149657 - 03/13/06 09:35 AM Re: Art & Science [Re: reprobate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
And I agree entirely with Discipline. Science gives us greater power and fascilitates survival; but art makes life worth living, by profoundly delighting the senses.

Thirding that.

And, we need both types--and other types--of people in the world, to keep it going 'round (well, not literally--that happens anyway...).

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#149658 - 03/13/06 10:11 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The simple fact that scientific accomplishments improve my quality of life will always make me see them more valuable than something like a picture, even if I drew it.

And there is nothing wrong with that, if it suits you. But that does not suit everyone. There is no point in being alive if you can't actually live. For many, enjoying the finer points of life and art is really living. For others the pursuit of scientific advances is. One is not greater than the other, they are just different. I personally think that my life would be pretty dull if all I had was science and no art, and vice versa.

The Temple | The Elite

#149659 - 03/13/06 11:24 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Discipline]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Some of the best scientists have approached the subject with the minds of artists. Some of the most enduring scientific concepts are also the most beautiful works of art. For example, the pentagram was created by Pythagoras as a symbol for the Pythagorean society and contains within its segments and triangles the golden ratio, which was and is still used today to create stunning works of architecture.

Phi

#149660 - 03/13/06 03:29 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Quote:

Regarding my claims, they are true and can be substantiated.

But they don't really need to be substantiated, because there is no real benefit of bragging here.

Bragging as a "ritual" is another story.

#149661 - 03/13/06 04:04 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Noxilenticus]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Quote:

Yea yea, I knew someone was going to point this out. I am sorry to be so negative on the creative arts. The reason why I bash them is because I see them as mediocre accomplishments compared to things like visiting Mars, curing cancer, or expanding on the energy crisis. Arts (writing, singing etc) do take experience and technique. There are labels to them, but it is something people have been doing for millennia. People can start new drawings everyday if they wanted, but is rare that a person will invent a new method of open-heart surgery.

In a later post than this one, which I am replying to, you mentioned sex is an outlet for you. Art is also an outlet, a far better rewarding one at that. Imagine the satisfaction of accomplishing such great ability in an outlet to flush counter productive emotions. Art creates a tangible emotional flushing (ritual) that can be experienced by others by means of
experiencing the tangible work. This in turn brings power in the form of money and reputation. Sex (just by itself) can produce the same results but, has a far smaller "audience" and reward.
Many of those who you refer to as "pursuing art", are not.
It is simply their "outlet" and they ultimately get rewarded for making themselves feel better. (Although I don't always approve of some artists who are over-rewarded.)

Nox, wouldn't you like to get paid for performing and enjoying your outlet.

#149662 - 03/13/06 10:00 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I agree with you wholeheartedly. That is the very reason I indulge in painting, drawing, and music all the while tinkering in certain fields of science. In my opinion both can be intermixed and both can be very rewarding.

I like Pi more than Phi. But I also like Theta because cosine, sine, and tangent are fun to use in mathematics.

No one ever mentions e. Poor little guy is used and abused and never given any gratitude.

What about other constants? Could they not also be considered as artwork? A labor of love?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#149663 - 03/14/06 06:22 PM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Discipline]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Quote:

In my opinion both can be intermixed and both can be very rewarding.

A whole brain is better than half.

#149664 - 03/15/06 08:52 AM Re: Personal Acomplishments [Re: Old_Pig]
Remorazz Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have already done more than most people do in a lifetime, thought that doesn’t mean I will stop working on more.

That is all.

HS! G We have wasted far too much time explaining that Satanism has nothing to do with kidnapping, drug abuse, child molestation, animal or child sacrifice , or any number of other acts that idiots, hysterics or opportunists would like to credit us with. By Anton Szandor LaVey ©1988 PENTAGONAL REVISIONISM: A FIVE-POINT PROGRAM ~Special Thanks to: Agent Jack Malebranche for his permission to use his art in my avatar.~ SETI Combat Camera Cool Products

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406363 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements