Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149902 - 03/10/06 10:46 AM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: TrojZyr]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Another clarification:

Introversion and extroversion are in-born tendencies. Brain studies are showing that a person is either one, or the other.

In one study, introverts' brain scans showed that when left alone in a room, most of the activity took place in the memory and emotion centers of the brain. Extroverts, in contrast, showed more activity in the sense-oriented parts of the brain, indicating that they were fully engaged in what the environment was like right now, while introverts recalled other situations where they've been in certain environments, and re-lived their feelings of those experiences.

Based on my understanding, introverts also process information through a different pathway than extroverts, and that process is "powered" by a different neurotransmitter. The extrovert pathway is shorter, and is powered by adrenalin and serotonin. The introvert pathway is longer, and is powered by acetylcholine. I don't entirely understand this part yet, but the research does indicate that whether you're an I or an E fundamentally depends on your brain chemistry and genetics.

But, one's moods change from day to day, moment to moment, so there will be days when an extrovert wants to be left alone to read, and an introvert wants to go out and party. Everyone experiences that. But, their fundamental temperament and preference remains the same, despite daily fluctuations.

Also, regardless of what you are, you can still choose certain behaviors at certain times, for certain purposes. Being able to do this is actually essential for getting along in life. There's a great book called "The Introvert Advantage," that gives tips on how introverts can adapt to some of the difficulties and frustrations of daily life, by developing new skills, and turning their qualities into strengths.

Max said:

<< I have a tendency of despising extroverts because the general consensus of them are pathetic beings who get sympathy and praise among others while having nothing about their character to warrant it.>>

Indeed.

When I'm around hardcore extroverts, I also get annoyed because I feel I'm talking to a springer spaniel on meth. Chatter, chatter, chatter, boingy, boingy, boingy.

I just don't have much respect for people who can't entertain themselves, by themselves. If you can't handle being with yourself, says I, then what's the point? You spend your entire life with yourself, so it makes sense to get acquainted!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#149903 - 03/10/06 11:28 AM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: DarkApollyon]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Quote:

I do spend a lot of my free time alone, and if I go to the cinema, or a concert, unless I'm going with my son I tend to go on my own, which others sometimes find a bit strange but doesn't bother me. I do tend to find being around others, with a few notable exceptions, tiring, but enjoy social intercourse in small doses - I would find spending a lot of time round others would drive me crazy (or homicidal!).

*laughs*
I have learned some new vocabulary!

#149904 - 03/10/06 01:06 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Chess]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
I have always been a bit of a loner, somewhat quiet and not a particularly assertive or aggressive person.

Some people have made the mistake of thinking these attributes make me a weak willed/minded person on the contrary. I like to give people enough rope to hang themselves and reserve judgement until I have all the facts.

The old "better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" syndrome is always at the back of my mind. I have had many enjoyable meetings at work, when other people are so eager to impose themselves on proceedings they give themselves away and I keep my council and pick away at their exposed flesh later !

I am a sociable person and am generally affable and easy going, but I am prone to frustration and don't suffer fools gladly. The only thing I have no NEED for is other people, deep down I would be perfectly happy living as a hermit on my own as long as I had a large library of books to keep me occupied. I like a select few family and friends who I enjoy interacting with, but I have to admit I have met a LOT of people I dislike and some people I really do hate with a passion.

I have found people as individuals tend to be ok, but people in groups tend to pricks, as Sid Vicious once said during an interview "Do you make your music for the man in the street ?" Sid - "Fuck no, I've met the man in the street and he's a cunt !".

As for the balance of introverts/extroverts that class themselves as satanists, I've met satanists at both ends of the extreme and have in general got on with them fine.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#149905 - 03/10/06 02:05 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Chess]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

I understand your point, of course.

But it's just when I read " Satanists are people who are that way, do that way" etc. I'm not talking about finding one's category, I just meant that we're not a species. it's like speaking about this "special DNA in the Satanist" subject.

#149906 - 03/10/06 10:28 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Assabrah]
uncleherpe Offline

satanists being generally introverted makes sense to me.

what I consider an extroverted person is someone who is more concerned with others than themselves most of the time, and like to stimulate their senses with things that come from an outside source (watching a movie rather than making one up for enjoyment). very social people.

I am very introverted. Its sort of hard to comment on something like extroversion that ive never really experienced, since its so personal. I cant say anything about it with much conviction. it is fun to think about it though.

Edited by uncleherpe (03/10/06 10:28 PM)

#149907 - 03/11/06 01:29 AM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: uncleherpe]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

The problem with this post :

Each category has different sides, levels, etc...

I'll take this subject seriously when one will show me all of them.

Maybe next life....

#149908 - 03/11/06 05:31 AM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Chess]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"it's hard to be an extroverted misanthrope."

To meet my own personal needs, I find it very easy to to be
extroverted.

For one, if I engage a person in a discussion about themself, it
keeps the topic off of me. Sometimes, I am genuinely interested
like when I meet someone whom I have a lot of respect for. Other
times, like when I am at a party, if someone starts a conversation
with me, I am much happier not telling them much about myself if
it can at all be helped.

Of course, when I am interviewing for a job, it helps if I engage the
interviewer and ask them questions about their experiences with
the company and its products.

Sometimes, I meet a person that I find very interesting and rather
than get "rockstar-itis" around them and say things like "wow,
you're cool" and "gee, I wish I could be as awesome a <noun> as
you are!" I like to be able to find out more about them.

Another thing to consider about being introverted is that if I only
look inside myself for answers to things, my world gets very small
very fast. One slightly related anecdote I have is that last week, I
had almost no actual real-time, face-to-face human interaction.
Then, I was at a coffee shop working on my calculus problems
when a friend who I had not seen in over a month came and sat at
my table. I was so absorbed with what I was doing that it was
difficult to pull my head into the present surroundings. Not only did
I get to express joy about her good news and, which made her
happy, and have a pleasant interaction, I got a hug from a cute
redhead too.

My point is, is that for me, the reasons to be extroverted every now
and then are fairly selfish. Either way, it is my experience-- why
shouldn't I get the most out of it?

#149909 - 03/12/06 02:25 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: TrojZyr]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
To be honest, I don't find any usefulness in labeling myself based off of some studied theory.

To quote Popeye, "I am what I am."

However, if you gain personal enjoyment out of these studies and like the definitions and the psychological experimentations of it, then have at it! Fun is fun.

Nuff said.

Maybe I am an extremevert?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#149910 - 03/12/06 04:47 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Discipline]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Very few labels appeal to me, but the ones that do, really do--usually because I find them to be particularly apt, rincredibly revealing, or really descriptive.

Psychology is fun.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#149911 - 03/12/06 05:21 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: TrojZyr]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
The second paragraph is an excellent defitniton of myself.

I don't know how reliable is the Myers Briggs personality test, but I am an INTP.

#149912 - 03/12/06 10:04 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Chess]
mastiva Offline
CoS Member

Well this is an interesting topic. My meyer-briggs result is ENTP (supposedly the Inventor, which is fitting...), but the E is 54%, so I am very in the middle about being introverted or extroverted.

Personally I like a healthy mix of people and aloneness. Now, certainly I am selective about the people, although for networking purposes one wants to be able to interact with their colleagues. It also varies as to how many people I prefer to be around. Generally my favorite person to be with would be my SO; I usually would rather go out with him alone than take a group of "friends" up on an invite to pal around. As a matter of fact, the latter is quite rare. But I do a lot of interacting with people since I act.

I don't really see a neccessity for Satanists to be either way. Sure, it's obvious that more misanthropes are going to deal with it by being more introverted, or maybe the introverts are dealing with that by unconsciously being misanthropes. I wouldn't say I am a misanthrope - I would say that I am highly selective and probably quite judgemental, but I don't classify myself as a misanthrope.

So I'm a mix of extra/intro. It would be interesting to see a poll of Satanists' results of the Meyers Briggs.

#149913 - 03/13/06 03:01 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: mastiva]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

So I'm a mix of extra/intro. It would be interesting to see a poll of Satanists' results of the Meyers Briggs.

Well, it hasn't exactly been a formal poll, but we've had a few in the thread who've volunteered their results:

Chess: INTP
Movsar: INTP
AmbientLogic: INTJ
TrojZyr: INTJ / INTP (borderline)
Mastiva: ENTP / INTP (borderline)

We've also had a few more pop up to say they're mostly introverted, without giving a specific MBTI score.

There's definitely a pattern here, but before we go making any sweeping conclusions about a "typical" Satanic personality, we should keep in mind that INTP-and-vicinity is also the personality type that would get the most enjoyment out of an Internet forum.

Several people also mentioned how they can swing either way. I agree that it's definitely a Good Thing to be able to work both sides of the fence, but that's not really the issue here. It's like being right-handed (as in biological handedness, not as in Path.) Sure, I CAN use my left hand for a whole bunch of tasks, but it's more natural to use my right for most of them. If you're truly ambidextrous when it comes to intro/extrovertedness, then great, more power to you. But most of us tend to favor one side or the other.

My gut feeling on the matter is that while Satanists can be anywhere on the clock or the MBTI, they're more commonly found on the introverted side of things. I do admit that I have almost no data to back that up, and it may very well be Introvert's Conceit. (But there I go, being all INTP and scientific again.)

-Chess

#149914 - 03/13/06 04:45 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Chess]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Gone
Quote:

Your thoughts? Introverts and Extroverts alike, speak up!

Interesting. But.. what if one is both?

I, myself, would fall into both catagories, depending on the situation.

In the workplace, I am very extroverted and sociable. I must be, in order to have the proper influence over others.

When I am online, I am very extroverted as well.

When I am alone, I don't give humans a second thought, unless there is a reason. I can go long hours in silence, totally ignoring the "outside world."

It depends, really. Therefore I would either fall into both catagories equally or, if I must choose.. I am neither.

I am definitely a per-vert though.

#149915 - 03/13/06 06:09 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Chess]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
INXJ

edit: That's INTJ/INFJ borderline. And that's just from casual on-line tests, not official at all.

Edited by reprobate (03/13/06 07:14 PM)

#149916 - 03/13/06 06:35 PM Re: Introversion vs. Extroversion [Re: Chess]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
INTJ

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406355 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements