Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#150425 - 03/12/06 07:54 PM Re: Rational Anger [Re: Isabel23]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

It is quite unSatanic to be controlled by one's emotions. They really need to be mediated by your rational mind.

I agree with what youve said.

Usually when you get angry, it is when someone or something else MAKES you feel that way. I say, you just need to stop and remember that YOU are YOUR OWN God. This is what I do when I get angry, and in reminding myself of that, I often convert my anger into stimulation or excitement. Anger and excitement are both strong feelings, so the amount of emotional energy is about the same; therefore, I just change what kind of strong feeling I feel.

It is more difficult to get rid of a feeling than it is to convert it to something else; getting rid of a feeling requires you to get rid of emotional energy that has built up inside you, but converting your feelings just changes a bad feeling into a good one. It works very quickly for me (like around ten seconds or less) and is quite convenient if I am at work or in another public place where neither of my ritual chambers are accessible.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#150426 - 03/12/06 09:55 PM Re: Rational Anger [Re: Barb]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

Usually when you get angry, it is when someone or something else MAKES you feel that way.

No one can make you feel something, you allow it to happen. If you don't allow the anger to manifest in the first place you won't act upon it.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#150427 - 03/13/06 08:35 AM Re: Violence [Re: BEHERIT]
Lust Offline

What exactly is it, that you are looking for here.
A green light to be violent.
If you need to be violent, why ask for some kind of permission?
If someone has wronged you wrong them back.
If you are experiencing rage on a just because basis, then you need some medication to keep you leveled out.
I would recommend a good psychiatrist, a good work-out, and to lay off the Incredible Hulk Comic Books.

Hail Satan!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#150428 - 03/13/06 11:28 AM Re: Rational Anger [Re: dragondancer]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Quote:

No one can make you feel something, you allow it to happen. If you don't allow the anger to manifest in the first place you won't act upon it.

You are quite incorrect. Any good psychologist can tell you that it is nigh impossible to stop anger before it starts. Physical reaction (anger, which happens in the brain) to external stimuli is very difficult to control. Even when it can be controlled, it can only be controlled in certain circumstances.

Your statement reeks of white light-ish bullshit about anger being wrong. I suggest that you read it again and really think about what you wrote.

The truth is that while one may not be able to avoid anger (nor is it healthy to attempt to suppress it), one does determine one's reaction to it. Anger is one thing and violence is another. It is ridiculous to think that anger necessarily results in violence.

#150429 - 03/13/06 01:59 PM Re: Rational Anger [Re: Maya]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

You are quite incorrect. Any good psychologist can tell you that it is nigh impossible to stop anger before it starts. Physical reaction (anger, which happens in the brain) to external stimuli is very difficult to control. Even when it can be controlled, it can only be controlled in certain circumstances.

Your statement reeks of white light-ish bullshit about anger being wrong. I suggest that you read it again and really think about what you wrote.

The truth is that while one may not be able to avoid anger (nor is it healthy to attempt to suppress it), one does determine one's reaction to it. Anger is one thing and violence is another. It is ridiculous to think that anger necessarily results in violence.

Hmmm.....you sound kind of angry. I think I have not made myself very clear here, perhaps I should clarify a few things.

First of all, I have many times stopped myself from being angry in a situation. It is not an easy thing to do for sure, but I am here to tell you that it can be done, despite what any good psychologist will tell you. ( I may not be able to stop some of the physical reactions at first, such as increased heartrate, muscle tension, etc., but after a few seconds of conscious effort I can do it.)

White light-ish bullshit? Where in my statement did I say anger was right or wrong. There are times it is very necessary not to give someone the power to evoke emotion in you. That is not the same as always repressing anger. There are also many times when anger should certainly be expressed, and can be a beneficial emotion to have in certain circumstances.

My point was that you are not necessarily a slave to your emotions. At least I am not. I do not need to give someone the power to evoke an emotion in me. It may happen, I may decide it should happen, but it doesn't have to happen. I simply do not subscribe to the idea that my emotional well being is contingent upon anyone else, whether that emotion is anger, hatred, happiness, love...what-have-you.

Yes, indeed one can determine one's reaction to it when it does happen, and perhaps that is what I am really getting at here. The fact that you don't need to let anger manifest itself through your behavior. Of course anger and violence are two very different things, I certainly never suggested otherwise. Anger is the emotion, violence is a behavioral manifestation of the emotion. Behavior is a lot easier to control than emotion, however that is not to say you can't control emotion. I have done it, many times.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#150430 - 03/13/06 02:15 PM Re: Rational Anger [Re: Maya]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm.....you sound kind of angry. I think I have not made myself very clear here, perhaps I should clarify a few things.

First of all, I have many times stopped myself from being angry in a situation. It is not an easy thing to do for sure, but I am here to tell you that it can be done, despite what any good psychologist will tell you.(I may not be able to stop the physical reaction right away, such as increased heartrate, muscle tension, etc., but after a few seconds of concious effort, I can do it.)

White light-ish bullshit? Where in my statement did I say anger was right or wrong. There are times it is very necessary not to give someone the power to evoke emotion in you. That is not the same as always repressing anger. There are also many times when anger should certainly be expressed, and can be a beneficial emotion to have in certain circumstances.

I never suggested that anger should always be repressed. My point was that you are not necessarily a slave to your emotions. At least I am not. I do not need to give someone the power to evoke an emotion in me. It may happen, I may decide it should happen, but it doesn't have to happen. I simply do not subscribe to the idea that my emotional well being is contingent upon any other individual, whether that emotion is anger, hatred, happiness, love.....what-have-you.

Yes, indeed one can determine one's reaction to it when it does happen, and perhaps that is what I am really getting at here. The fact that you don't need to let anger manifest itself through your behavior. Of course anger and violence are two very different things, I certainly never suggested otherwise. Anger is the emotion, violence is a behavioral manifestation of the emotion. Behavior is a lot easier to control than emotion, however that is not to say you can't control emotion. I have done it, many times.

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#150431 - 03/13/06 02:21 PM Re: Violence [Re: BEHERIT]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
I used to be angry for no particular reason, maybe I had a chip on my shoulder, maybe I had "small man" syndrome (I'm a shortass !)

I went to the doctor because my anger was controlling me not the other way round as it should be.

I have been on beta blockers ever since, I also found cutting my consumption of alcohol helped. Feeling angry all the time or for no reason is not normal you really should get it seen to.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#150432 - 03/13/06 02:42 PM Re: Violence [Re: BEHERIT]
DataLore Offline

Loc: Holodeck 3
Quote:

Isnt it hypocritical to call urself a Satanist...

Your posts are very frequent with ironies.

#150433 - 03/13/06 02:55 PM Re: Violence [Re: BEHERIT]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
Quote:

The strongest instinct in every living creature is self preservation,which brings us to the last of the seven deadly sins-ANGER.Is it not our instinct for self preservation that is aroused when someone harms us,when we become angry enough to protect ourselves from further attack?A Satanist practices the motto,"If a man smite thee on one cheek, smash him on the other!"Let no wrong go unredressed.Be as a lion in the path-be dangerous even in defeat!

Quote:

I am feeling angry and i dont deal with it well.How does a Satanist deal with it.I usually get violent.

Getting violent is rarely the way to solve a problem. Your (misunderstood) quote from The Satanic Bible deals with situations where your very life is in danger.

Quote:

I am a Satanist

You sure about that?

Quote:

and this is keeping in step with the Satanic bible. Violence is condoned even promoted by The Doktor.Isnt it hypocritical to call urself a Satanist and be anti- violence?

I think, once again, your getting the wrong signals. Many Satanists are anti-violence. We will protect ourselves, if and when it becomes necessary, but just being violent for no reason is, in this Gods opinion, unSatanic.

Which I believe you are too.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#150434 - 03/13/06 05:40 PM Re: Violence [Re: BEHERIT]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Unlike other religions that try to dismiss or repress emotions like anger, the Satanist has learned to use them. I realize that if a human being can experience an emotion like anger or hatred, it must serve a purpose. Self-preservation in a time when man needed a fast dose of adrenalin to fight abundant threats. Now we often get angry for useless things. But a Satanist can harness that emotion and put it "out there" to achieve positive results. I've gotten rid of a couple of annoying neighbors that way. Try it. At the very least you will have spent some of that violent emotion. And at the most, you may get exactly what you want!

Here's an example: You hate your boss with an unholy passion. It's nothing you did, he's just a real prick. Now, you have two options. 1) You let that emotion take over and you wait for him in the parking garage with a baseball bat and...

2) You use that hatred to motivate you to get up on your day off to go find another job, or to start your own business, or...

Option 1 lands you in prison and option 2 maybe gets you a happier life. The emotion itself is not bad or sinful (as other religions teach). It's what you do with it to get results. Add some magic to the mix and you're off to the races.

The Satanic Bible is not meant to be an excuse to justify random violence. The "Smash him on the other!" reference is just to hammer home the idea that a Satanist does not take the feeble pacifist approach that Xianity teaches. Because after all, "turn the other cheek" just means "go ahead, hit me again!" How much sense does that make?

#150435 - 03/13/06 08:10 PM How do you perform in a mismatch? [Re: BEHERIT]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
Something easily missed--yet highly effective is the ability to weaponize creativity--something difficult to do when aroused (what we usually refer to as "anger"). Below is a link to a great example of weaponizing creativity in a situation where the magician was not angry--but could have been easily aroused by fear--possibly leading to immediate destruction.

The example is non-destructive. Self-preservation was the priority here, but in many situations (in my opinion), it's too safe and easy to limit our perspective to non-destructive methods, for the sake of not offending the uninvolved. It's just that when one is in the frame of mind that your post suggests, it appears that calm is the first priority--if not the most important.

Manipulation

The means by which a Satanist with a clear head can bring down an enemy are many and profound. There is no shortage of destructive tools at your disposal. The trick is to bring about a state of mind that will facilitate your enemy's destruction--and NOT YOUR OWN. As a Satanist IT IS YOUR JOB to be superior to the herd and not be taken in by your own devices. Sew confusion and uncertainty amidst the enemy--not yourself.

I personally have no respect for bitches who bend over for their enemy to keep the peace, nor out of control shitheads who make life miserable for the unintended. I do however, feel a tremendous pull toward those who are given a shit sandwich--totally without cause, and respond with a totally unexpected and thorough reversal. This is nature at it's best, and we--as Satanists reject those who whine about the inequities of life. How you perform in a mismatch is PRECISELY what is of interest to the Satanist--and the natural selection process of Social Darwinism. After all, when one is in the superior position, one is expected to win.

How will you proceed, Satanist?

#150436 - 03/13/06 10:07 PM I disagree. Count to 10. [Re: Maya]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Rational cognitive psychological theory also disagrees, by the way. Albert Ellis (now in his mid-90s) was a pioneer in that field but he is by no means alone.

Anger is a secondary and not primary emotion. Client-centered psychological theory as per Carl Rogers proposed that idea over fifty years ago.

Clinical results abound to demonstrate that anger is controllable and one can learn to not be angry when that emotion proves to be inappropriate (which is usually about 99% of the time).

Anger requires the primary emotion of frustration to be accompanied by or followed by some judgment.

The judgement is almost always irrational, by the way. It is usually a global demand that reality be different from the way it already is.

"Dammit! That SHOULD NOT have happened!"

But it DID happen. Welcome back to the reality you don't like where it DID happen.

You may be frustrated by a traffic jam but it requires telling yourself something about how this is "unacceptable" to elicit anger.

You may be frustrated over an increase in property taxes but it requires telling yourself that Im as mad as hell and Im not going to take it any more to get angry.

You may be frustrated that your country is losing a war but it requires telling yourself that this is impossible to stand to feel anger.

With practice these words come so fast you may not even consciously realize they are there.

But they are there.

And they can be uncovered and changed.

Anger is evidently a hold over from a fairly primitive fight for survival response. It has its place if all else fails.

The belief that anger cannot be controlled, that it is a primal force that, like hydraulic pressure in an engine must be "released" and not suppressed", remains popular but wrong.

Anger is learned and, with effort at right attention, can be largely unlearned and certainly better controlled.

Believing otherwise while popular is not correct and often acts as an excuse for not making the effort to discipline the mind to change that reaction.

After all why get mad when you can get even?

#150437 - 03/13/06 10:39 PM Re: I disagree. Count to 10. [Re: Nemo]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Another fantastic post; as if that's surprising.

These ideas are fascinating and I'd be pleased to study them.

Is there any particular reading material that you'd recommend?

#150438 - 03/13/06 11:15 PM Re: Rational Anger [Re: dragondancer]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Usually when you get angry, it is when someone or something else MAKES you feel that way.

Hail Satan!

I disagree. for instance-if I decided to take a piss on your carpet i am sure you would be angry. its natural and I believe you cannot control how you feel, you can only control how you choose to deal with it.

nemo- that makes sense in a lot of circumstances, but not all. there are things that are TRULY unnaceptable no matter how you think about it.

Edited by uncleherpe (03/13/06 11:18 PM)

#150439 - 03/13/06 11:24 PM Treat yourself... [Re: Nemo]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
Holy bucking fatshit. You just don't fuck about, do you Magister?

I don't want to sound like an ass-kisser here, but seriously, if you guys really want to treat yourself to some great wisdom, read his other posts as well. There's a fantastic backlog of great perspectives in his other posts as well.

Magister Nemo's other posts

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406363 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements