Topic Options
#150733 - 03/13/06 05:00 PM Rules of the earth
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

I had a room mate living with me for about 6 months, he basically left his whole record collection and some interesting books, i didn't hear from him for the last year ,and I'm slowly starting to sell some of the stuff, and i kept some in my own collection.. he obviously doesn't care about it and the cry to be relieved is getting louder and louder, the whole bunch of stuff was a burden, that's how i see it. Just a thought.

Edited by x9x (03/13/06 05:02 PM)

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#150734 - 03/13/06 05:20 PM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Is there a reason why you did not simply contact your roommate and have his things sent to him?

#150735 - 03/13/06 06:07 PM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
What is the law in your area regarding claiming abandoned goods?

#150736 - 03/13/06 11:43 PM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
Lust Offline

Since this was not made clear, I want to ask you if you were friends with your Room Mate, or was this a strictly professional living arrangement?
If you were friends why not return the stuff?
That is just what a friend would do.
If you were playing the part of landlord, then what is left behind after a period of time would become the property of the one who has possession.
Seems kinda cheap to me though.
I like to trade for my goods, it gives them Personal value.
Hail Satan!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#150737 - 03/14/06 12:12 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

I had a room mate living with me for about 6 months, he basically left his whole record collection and some interesting books, i didn't hear from him for the last year ,and I'm slowly starting to sell some of the stuff, and i kept some in my own collection.. he obviously doesn't care about it and the cry to be relieved is getting louder and louder, the whole bunch of stuff was a burden, that's how i see it. Just a thought.

ive watched this exact same thing happen on the peoples court quite a few times. More often than not its a landlord who is being sued for property thats been thrown out, but occassionally its a roomate. If its your name on the lease then the same rules for landlords apply to the renter who is subletting (sp?) most of the time. wether or not its legal seems to depend on two factors:

1. the amount of time you wait. It needs to be a reasonable amount of time- like if someone cannot transport a mattress because they drive a geo. it make take awhile to get larger items out of the dwelling.

2. wether or not you tried to contact them to make an arrangement. Multiple attempts must be made.

6 months is more than reasonable for the things youve described. I am not sure if you can sell it though- all the ones ive seen were people got sued because their things were thrown out.

#150738 - 03/14/06 12:15 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Any Sly Fox records?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

The first principle is that you must not fool yourselfand you are the easiest person to fool. ~Richard Feynman

#150739 - 03/14/06 01:46 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: Maya]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

I've been contacting him forever, send mails and so on..i cannot imagine leaving my own collection at some-ones place for over a year and not even care about it, like said before..this gives me the impression of a careless person.
Oh yeah, he was not a friend, just a person that i shared the house with. His name is not on anything, so there's no trouble involved. I'm sure about that.

|| Benjamin Franklin ||

|| George Bernard ||

#150740 - 03/14/06 01:47 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: Discipline]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Not really, it's all metal and punk stuff.

|| Benjamin Franklin ||

|| George Bernard ||

#150741 - 03/14/06 01:58 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
sCara Offline

I think you are really reaching and seeing what you want to see in this particular rule so as to help explain your actions.

The Rules of the Earth are descriptives of the Satanist, not justifications/excuses/reasons utilized for doing or not doing something. Am I saying that is all there is to the Satanist? Of course not, but the outsider interested gets a pretty good idea of what sort of person a Satanist is by reading The Rules of the Earth as well as The Statements and Sins..

#150742 - 03/14/06 02:42 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
That's fine a year is a long time, I doubt any judge would find you guilty of a crime. Just the fact that he hasn't even attempted to contact you is enough to throw the case out if he should try to sue.

Just one friendly question, why do you feel guilty?

Get over it.

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#150743 - 03/14/06 03:06 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: gypsy]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

I'm not feeling guilty at all, i just wanted to express my definition of this rule.
And it gave me some extra dimension on my record collection.
Not a guilt trip here for sure.

|| Benjamin Franklin ||

|| George Bernard ||

#150744 - 03/14/06 06:27 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
If your roomate's left his crap lying around for a year, I think it's your duty to dispose of it as you see fit.

That length of time is more than enough to indicate he has no interest in collecting his crap, so you might as well get some use/make some money from his abandoned goods.

In the eyes of british law, technically what you did WAS illegal, "theft by finding" states unless the person has given their consent for you to dispose of their stuff you have in essence nicked it.

I think this law is pap, and you did the right thing.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#150745 - 03/14/06 08:19 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I'm not sure why you bothered to air this for public viewing, but since you did here's my take on the matter.

If it's not illegal, what's the problem?

Apparently the man doesn't care about his stuff.

Is it your responsibility to be caretaker to his property?

Sell it, throw it away, burn it.

I really don't care and neither does Mr. X if what you say is true.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a persons faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#150746 - 03/14/06 10:37 AM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: Poetaster]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Alot of stuff posted here shoulnd'be posted, but i don't bother at all to do so..i didn't even said there was a problem.
It's a good example of some-one that wants to be relieved from his stuff, and i simply took it.

Edited by x9x (03/14/06 10:38 AM)

|| Benjamin Franklin ||

|| George Bernard ||

#150748 - 03/14/06 02:05 PM Re: Rules of the earth [Re: x9x]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
Well in line with sCara's reply it seemed as if you were seeking some sort of justification/validation that you did not break some rule.

Whatever, it's not important.

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406134 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements