Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#151152 - 03/16/06 02:38 PM Re: Jack Parson - Warlock rocket scientist [Re: TrojZyr]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Yes, Tesla was brilliant, however, he was a piss poor business man and he lost a few of his ideas to the also brilliant market tricks of Thomas Edison. Yet, Tesla's AC won out and a unit of measure was named after him, the Tesla (Netwons / Amps * meters). Brilliant indeed.

I also have a lot of respect for the amazing and antisocial Paul Dirac.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#151153 - 03/16/06 03:14 PM Re: Jack Parson - Warlock rocket scientist [Re: sveinerforker]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

1. If you want to ellicit opinions from others, you should start by posting your own.

2. Post your required introduction in the proper forum so we can form an opinion of you.
Prevention of Virtue

#151154 - 03/16/06 03:30 PM Re: Jack Parson - Warlock rocket scientist [Re: Discipline]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Here is an example of why I like Paul Dirac some much and why I think he is brilliant.

"Oppenheimer arranged a meeting between Dirac and two researchers . . . After they had explained their work, there was a lengthy silence. Finally Dirac asked, 'Where is the post office?' The researchers offered to show him if Dirac would give them his opinion of their work en route. 'I cannot do two things at once', he replied."
~Antimatter by Gordon Fraser

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#151155 - 03/16/06 04:02 PM Re: More On Parsons [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
I see...

I think I have more respect for Marlowe's Dr. Faustus. Although the redemption themes make Me retch, at least he had some occult coolness in there.

Granted Faustus was a work of fiction, but then so was the major focal point in Parsons' life, by the sounds of it, so I think the comparison is fair

#151156 - 03/16/06 04:38 PM Re: Jack Parson - Warlock rocket scientist [Re: Discipline]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Tesla's life story illustrates how crucial Lesser Magic is. Edison was the better salesman, and he's found in our history textbooks. Many of Tesla's technologies are used or referenced today, but he's not very well known by name.

It goes to show that being "right" (morally or what have you) isn't all you need to succeed.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#151157 - 03/16/06 04:42 PM Re: Jack Parson - Warlock rocket scientist [Re: Svengali]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

I think L. Ron Hubbard surpassed both of them.

Yup.

Hubbard left behind a religion similar to how an old man leaves a lingering fart in the bathroom for others to "enjoy".

Hubbard's legacy is more enduring and stupid than either Crowley or Parsons.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#151158 - 03/16/06 04:56 PM Re: Jack Parson - Warlock rocket scientist [Re: sveinerforker]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Well in my opinion Persons was.....

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

I forgot that.....I don't care!!!!!

Have a nice day.

#151159 - 03/16/06 07:48 PM Re: Jack Parson - Warlock rocket scientist [Re: Felstorm]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Most...evocative...image...ever.

But, Hubbard gets points for creating a scam that makes mucho dinero.

Also, he may have been "in" on the "joke," so he may get points for that too.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#151160 - 03/17/06 05:03 PM Re: More On Parsons [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City

The story goes that L Ron actually caused his death so he could run off with Marjorie and start the Church of Scientology.

I wonder what Tom Cruise would have to say about that.

#151161 - 03/18/06 06:32 PM Re: Jack Parson - Warlock rocket scientist [Re: ElJago]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
No one beats DeSelby at mad science, no one. Tesla may have gotten AC from "angels" he saw in fever dreams, but DeSelby was flipped out insane.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements