Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#151334 - 03/16/06 11:40 PM Good Tom Cruise interview
DeLamar_J Offline

Loc: Ohio
How do you feel about people being treated with drugs for mental disorders? I agree with Tom. There are other ways. People use drugs as an easy way out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4PJpsValkS8&search=tom%20cruise
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. My personal web page---> http://www.myspace.com/39440105

#151335 - 03/17/06 01:55 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
If I ever require any form of medication I would rather act upon the advice of my doctor than that of a second rate actor.

#151336 - 03/17/06 02:04 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

If I ever require any form of medication I would rather act upon the advice of my doctor than that of a second rate actor.

No Kidding!

#151337 - 03/17/06 04:28 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Uh-oh, I'm picking up logic in your words.
We're going to need to schedule an emergency audit and E-meter test, STAT!

HS!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#151338 - 03/17/06 07:11 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
I had problems with anxiety and controlling my temper, I went to my medically trained doctor, and was given medication (which I still take to this day) and anger management councilling. Not suprisingly I find I am a lot better now and have been ever since.

Tom Cruise is an overrated grinning idiot of an actor who has become a celebrity mouthpiece for a ridiculous science fiction cult.

If you hold the verbal claptrap of Tom Cruise in such high regard maybe you should sign up the the church of scientology message board ?, honestly there must literally billions of people on the planet with more interesting and productive things to say than Tom Cruise !

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#151339 - 03/17/06 07:31 AM Second Rate ? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
AEnigma Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Belgium
Sir, you are too kind .

COS Folding @Home Team
Des Duivels (on Satanism in Dutch)
Des Duivels Forum (Satanic forum in Dutch)
Temple of the Vampire

Kindly leave your morals at the wardrobe.

#151340 - 03/17/06 07:38 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
I have yet to fathom why anyone would be interested in the opinions of actors or musicians on topics other than acting or music.

Entertainers typically occupy the shallow end of the brain pool.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#151341 - 03/17/06 07:43 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I have yet to fathom why anyone would be interested in the opinions of actors or musicians on topics other than acting or music.

Does that go for Reagan, too?

#151342 - 03/17/06 08:08 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
I think Tom Cruise would do well with some meds.

Whether or not to medicate is the choice of the patient/their parent and their doctor.

The idea that we shouldn't utilize existing science because people with obvious pathologies are in denial of them seems truly stupid.

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#151343 - 03/17/06 08:13 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: reprobate]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Does that go for Reagan, too?

If you don't know the difference between Reagan and Cruise, it goes for you too.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini

#151344 - 03/17/06 08:39 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Tom Cruise is clearly in need of some education and medication.

It's obvious that he's unfamiliar with psychology or the methods and reasoning behind medication.

Apparently you are too if you'd agree with that nonsense.

"No such thing as a chemical imbalance."

Well Tom, I'm impressed that you've efficiently and authoritatively negated years of research by qualified professionals, yet for some reason I'm inclined to think you're an idiot.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#151345 - 03/17/06 08:39 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
There are many good arguments for treating psychiatry with caution. There is a kernel of truth to Mr. Cruise's opinion. But it's none of his fucking business.

Drugs are not a cure for affective disorders. What Mr. Cruise doesn't appreciate, is that drugs can treat symptoms that prevent the real cure -- a change of attitude -- from being possible.

If you want to read someone who knows what he's talking about, read some Thomas Szasz.

#151346 - 03/17/06 09:21 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Comedian Robert Klein once said that Tom's reason for hating Ritalin so is that he is in such desperate need of it. I happen to agree with him. In fact, I think that Tom Cruise is in need of a frontal lobotomy. You know, just to be safe.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven." - Paradise Lost, lines 251-255 of Book I

Wading in the cyberspace cesspool (MySpace page)

#151347 - 03/17/06 09:28 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

But what about a really good actor, say Martin Sheen or someone like that?

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#151348 - 03/17/06 11:16 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Heck, or even, a first-rate actor!

I still wouldn't let Gregory Peck give me medical advice, unless he can show me his credentials in either Eastern or Western methods.

Or, unless he'll include a free body massage with the treatment he plans to provide---including HIS package with THE package, so to say.

Reprobate is right, there is a kernel of truth there---because one should be careful before just popping pills and taking drugs, as those things have side effects that can be quite serious---but, it's buried underneath a wave of brainwashed silliness and silly brainlessness. Cruise is only stating this opinions because his church has told him to, and because his church has "translated" his experiences with psychiatry for him.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#151349 - 03/17/06 11:20 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: TrojZyr]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

Heck, or even, a first-rate actor!

I still wouldn't let Gregory Peck give me medical advice, unless he can show me his credentials in either Eastern or Western methods.

Especially since he's been dead for 2 1/2 years.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#151350 - 03/17/06 11:23 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: dragondancer]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Damn, I guess that nixes my chances of getting a body massage.

I'll let Nick Lashay give me one, if he promises to keep his mouth shut.

#151352 - 03/17/06 11:38 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Quaark]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

I don't think *everything* is about sex, of course.

Food is pretty important, too.

#151354 - 03/17/06 02:11 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Tom cruise is an idiot. There's a difference between suggesting that certain medications are over-prescribed and saying we should scrap psych meds all together. The reason he says these things is because he is convinced that scientology is the cure for all psychiatric disorders. Moronic.

"Psychiatry is a pseudo-science"-Tom Cruise.

And putting the letters "scien" in the name of a religion does not make it a science either.

#151355 - 03/17/06 03:02 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: TrojZyr]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
I often get asked by people if I am against the use of antidepressants. The reason for this is (as some of you may already be aware) I am autistic and do not believe in a cure for autism. Many autistics suffer from depression or other comorbid conditions which can be helped a great deal by the use of antidepressant medication.

There are many people in the autistic community who refuse all medication simply because they are against a cure - this is a classic case of counterproductive pride. Personally, I will take anything that helps with the negatives. Those who view taking medication for a problem as a weakness would do well to compare someone who has an untreated medical problem (whether this be a mental illness or a physical health problem) to someone who does what it takes to treat the same problem. Personally, i'll take advantage of whatever medical technology is available rather than being "natural". There is an argument that someone can become reliant on medication, but if it keeps you functioning (and in some cases alive) then this is no different from being reliant on oxygen.

One thing to bear in mind though, is to always (even if prescribed something by a doctor) research any medication yourself before taking it.

#151356 - 03/17/06 03:30 PM Tom Cruise is nuts. [Re: DeLamar_J]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

The Temple | The Elite

#151357 - 03/17/06 03:33 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"Tom Cruise" and "good" used so closely together in a sentence?

I'd rather trust people who spent some of the best years of their
lives studying the human body and its interactions with chemicals.

Are we sure he isn't trying to be a comedian?

#151358 - 03/17/06 04:26 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Quaark]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

I don't just mean chocolate.

I mean THIS chocolate:

http://www.brusselschocolates.com/ourchocolates.htm

(Milk chocolate and hazelnut, yay!)

#151359 - 03/17/06 04:44 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Cholinergic]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

One thing to bear in mind though, is to always (even if prescribed something by a doctor) research any medication yourself before taking it.

Indeed.

You should research and consider what your options are--normal and unusual, Western and Eastern--try the least damaging and/or more productive ones first, and not get wrapped up in counterproductive pride, lest you come to ignore good options, or cling to ineffective ones.

If something helps, great. If it'll help one symptom and give you ten more, not so great---unless you decide that those ten are worth getting rid of the one, of course.

I'm against hasty medication (such as when children are forcibly put on Ritalin, or some twit has a minor problem and pops pills in an attempt to "solve"' his life), and I'm against stubborn resistance to medication. (I certainly have neighbors who will go to their graves merrily chewing roots that aren't helping them one bit.) Everything has to be taken on a case-by-case basis.

#151360 - 03/17/06 04:49 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: RandomStranger]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Tom Cruise is good-looking.

There ya go.

#151361 - 03/17/06 04:53 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: TrojZyr]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Tom Cruise is good-looking.

There ya go.

You are aware that charisma (in ample doses) cures cancer, right?

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#151362 - 03/17/06 04:55 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Well of course! What else would cure cancer? Drugs? Drugs are bad, mmkay.

#151363 - 03/17/06 05:28 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: TrojZyr]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

It's times like this that I have to ask:

"What Would Xenu Do?"

Probably get all freaky with Tom "Good Looking" cruise.

#151364 - 03/17/06 05:45 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: RandomStranger]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Or, stuff him in a volcano, and stick his thetan onto some poor person .

(Actually, that makes "WWXD?" a pretty handy slogan.)

If someone you know turns into a smiling, screaming, couch-bouncing pretty-boy, you'll know they're possessed by Tom Cruise's thetan.

#151365 - 03/17/06 07:34 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
Satanya Offline
Banned

I can´t even believe Tom Cruise is a topic at all. A big hit one at that. God bless America.

>> Reprobate, sweety pie: Yes, at least Reagen knows a thing or two about Jesus -- if we´re talking about big hits, we might as well throw that in indeed. Cheers.

#151366 - 03/17/06 09:47 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Lust Offline

I do not understand why you think this is a good interview.
On what authority is "Tom" speaking on?
"Tom" is an "actor" not a Doctor.

The Today show for that matter would interview a
Goat, if the producers thought it would get more ratings.
Remember Katie's Anal Probe.
Hail Satan!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#151367 - 03/17/06 11:21 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Do you really think a hysteric fanatic trying too hard at proselytize his retarded white-light religion to the masses qualifies as a "good interview"?

#151368 - 03/18/06 01:46 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Atheon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
If the drugs are an easy way out, why not take it? Taking the hard way out would be dumb if you know an easy way exists.

I agree that doctors go on overkill when it comes to drugs. There are non-chemical means to help with some mental disorders. For some drugs are the answer. Try having a nervous breakdown, scizhophrenia or bipolar disorder and see if Scientology can help you. (These can be medically induced if you care to run a personal experiment.) Let us all know the results.

Atheon Naturali

#151369 - 03/18/06 12:26 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Further proof that Tom Cruise is an idiot. "Psychology is a psuedoscience" - this comming from a SCIENTOLOGIST. Sorry buddy, you have zero credibility on any scientific matter - no matter what "history" you have read!

Are there instances of overmedication? Yes.
Can medication actually be harmfull to some people? Yes.
Has medication proven to be beneficial to many, many more people? HELL YEAH!

There are many people very close to me who's quality of life have been improved by the propper administration of medication.

One close friend in particular is a much happier person who is not as quick to anger as before he started taking Adderol. This individual is also much more enjoyable to be around than before.

I took Ritalin througought high school - in the first few years of college I suspected the drug no longer worked for me and my doctor agreed. I am currently not on any medications but I am contemplating talking to a doctor about restarting medications for anxiety and anger - seing how friends with the same problem I have have been helped by medication.

SETI@Home Team

#151370 - 03/18/06 12:41 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

It's interesting to note, that in the posted interview, Tom Cruise declares several times that "I've researched psychiatry/psychology, that is why I know about these things, and you don't" ; yet, he never once applies any factual evidence to support his position that he has, indeed, researched the subject.

However, instead of calling Tom on his shit, Matt allows himself to be put on the defensive, and gives Tom sanction to control the conversation.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

~ Charles Bukowski

#151371 - 03/18/06 03:30 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
DeLamar_J Offline

I think that in some cases drugs can help, but I think they are given out to quickly these days. It seems like every time someone goes to have a problem treated, they are instantly medicated instead of being talked to. Sometimes people are given drugs when they just need someone who cares to talk to them, and help them through an issue.
What I like about the inteview is when he says what is an ideal situation? People not being drugged. In alot of cases I think this is true.
I'm not a shrink, but my wife was medicated at one time and it messed up her life for a few years. As soon as she stopped taking drugs, her life became better, she became more active, and a more positive person. I realize everyone is not like my wife, and that every case is individual. But I think drugs are being handed out like hotcakes nowadays.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. My personal web page---> http://www.myspace.com/39440105

#151372 - 03/18/06 07:33 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Quote:

I think that in some cases drugs can help, but I think they are given out to quickly these days.

You think that in some cases drugs might help?

Unless it is you or your child, your opinion isn't required. These are personal decisions between patients and doctors. Period. Bad doctors will practice bad medicine, stupid people will take stupid advice, but in the end, utilizing the existing science is no sin.

Quote:

It seems like every time someone goes to have a problem treated, they are instantly medicated instead of being talked to. Sometimes people are given drugs when they just need someone who cares to talk to them, and help them through an issue.

So you think "talk therapy" is better than chemistry in treating illnesses. Hmmmm.

Moreover, if someone is such a wretched human that they do not have a sustainable relationship in w3hich they can "talk", artificial relationships will not help.

Talk therapy can be useful, but a chemical problem is best treated chemically.

Quote:

But I think drugs are being handed out like hotcakes nowadays.

I just did a little research. In most states and by regulation of the insurance companies patients on psychiatric drugs have to see their doctor monthly. There must be a minimum of 30 days between each new prescription--even of a drug that someone has been on for years. Blood work must be done regularly, etc....

Sounds a bit more tricky than hotcakes to me.

As for your wife, who must be thrilled you choose to share her psychiatric history with strangers (probably could do with a valium for that, I bet), anecdotal stories cannot be used to determine legitimacy of drug treatments.

Y~

#151373 - 03/18/06 08:12 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Ygraine]
Satanya Offline
Banned

That it is all about television there is no doubt about, but from Dr. Phill to Tom Cruise it´s a bit of a decline. What else could possibly be said but God bless America?

If you ask me: this thread is starting to look like an Oprah Winfrey episode. Why am I watching it -- I don´t know.

#151374 - 03/18/06 08:30 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Quote:

With all due respect, Magister, I´ll have to disagree because otherwise my finger-tips won´t stop tickling.

I would not like to think that an expertise can only equal all an expert can have knowledge about.

That would be like saying: a musician can only know about music, an actor can only know about films, a lawyer can only know about law, a doctor can only know about medicine.

It isn´t the case. Whilst I agree that at times that might occur, I wouldn´t generalise it. Surely I´ll ask not for the expertise pertaining to a doctor to a lawyer but opinions & expertises are different animals. In my opinion?

#151375 - 03/18/06 08:32 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Ygraine]
DeLamar_J Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I think that in some cases drugs can help, but I think they are given out to quickly these days.

You think that in some cases drugs might help?

Unless it is you or your child, your opinion isn't required. These are personal decisions between patients and doctors. Period. Bad doctors will practice bad medicine, stupid people will take stupid advice, but in the end, utilizing the existing science is no sin.

Quote:

It seems like every time someone goes to have a problem treated, they are instantly medicated instead of being talked to. Sometimes people are given drugs when they just need someone who cares to talk to them, and help them through an issue.

So you think "talk therapy" is better than chemistry in treating illnesses. Hmmmm.

Moreover, if someone is such a wretched human that they do not have a sustainable relationship in w3hich they can "talk", artificial relationships will not help.

Quote:

But I think drugs are being handed out like hotcakes nowadays.

I just did a little research. In most states and by regulation of the insurance companies patients on psychiatric drugs have to see their doctor monthly. There must be a minimum of 30 days between each new prescription--even of a drug that someone has been on for years. Blood work must be done regularly, etc....

Sounds a bit more tricky than hotcakes to me.

As for your wife, who must be thrilled you choose to share her psychiatric history with strangers (probably could do with a valium for that, I bet), anecdotal stories cannot be used to determine legitimacy of drug treatments.

Y~

I cant tell if your for or against drugs or not. You say (Talk therapy can be useful, but a chemical problem is best treated chemically), and then (So you think "talk therapy" is better than chemistry in treating illnesses. Hmmmm. Moreover, if someone is such a wretched human that they do not have a sustainable relationship in w3hich they can "talk", artificial relationships will not help) So are you for drugs? If someone is a wretched human then should they just be drugged and then consider the problem fixed?

Edited by DeLamar_J (03/18/06 08:37 PM)

#151376 - 03/18/06 08:37 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Sarracenia Offline
CoS Member

Basically, instead of considering the content of the post, you are asking a well thought out response to be condensed to a simplistic yay or nay.

ToV

#151377 - 03/18/06 08:43 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Sarracenia]
DeLamar_J Offline

Quote:

Basically, instead of considering the content of the post, you are asking a well thought out response to be condensed to a simplistic yay or nay.

I just want to know if this person is for drugs or against. From what I have read it seems this person is leaning more in the direction of yes. Some people can be so crazy to the point where they cannot be reasoned with, but does that justify drugging them? Just dope them up and consider the problem gone?

Edited by DeLamar_J (03/18/06 08:46 PM)

#151378 - 03/18/06 08:44 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Satanya]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

If an entertainer has some background in the field in question, then his point of view on that field may have some validity - even then his point of view is validated by that background and not his status as an entertainer.

If Cruise had some legitimate background in psychiatry his point of view might carry some weight, but he does not. Aside from his celebrity status and whatever arrogance he derives from subscribing to his pseudoscientific "religion", his point of view carries no more weight than any random person taken off the street.

He has no authority on the topic, quite the opposite in fact given his history, and unless he is able to present a convincing argument based on verifiable information from legitimate sources it is just more hot air from another Hollywood blowhard.

#151379 - 03/18/06 08:50 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
DeLamar_J Offline

Quote:

If an entertainer has some background in the field in question, then his point of view on that field may have some validity - even then his point of view is validated by that background and not his status as an entertainer.

If Cruise had some legitimate background in psychiatry his point of view might carry some weight, but he does not. Aside from his celebrity status and whatever arrogance he derives from subscribing to his pseudoscientific "religion", his point of view carries no more wieght than any random person taken off the street.

He has no authority on the topic, quite the opposite in fact given his history, and unless he is able to present a convincing argument based on verifiable information from legitimate sources it is just more hot air from another Hollywood blowhard.

I agree that he has no REAL AUTHORITY on the topic. But do any of us? Unless we have a medical degree? All I can offer is my own experience, beyond that I have no real authority, same as most people posting in this thread. What I do know is what I have seen, and that is more harm than good when it comes to drugging people.

#151380 - 03/18/06 08:52 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

The world is not a simple matter of black and white options. This is really very basic stuff. Saying I'm for using drugs for psychiatric treatment is just as idiotic as saying I'm against using drugs for psychiatric treatment. Sometimes drugs are useful, sometimes they are not.

By the way, if someone is so crazy they cannot be reasoned with why not drug them into a manageable stupor?

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#151381 - 03/18/06 08:57 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: MagisterRose]
DeLamar_J Offline

Quote:

By the way, if someone is so crazy they cannot be reasoned with why not drug them into a manageable stupor?

I'm not sure, something just dont seem right about it.

#151382 - 03/18/06 08:59 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Tom Cruise has less authority than most. He is a Hollywood mental health casualty who should probably be on medication himself.

An afternoon on google search could provide anyone of average intelligence with enough reliable information to realistically debate on this issue.

I am not debating this topic, just pointing out that Tom Cruise is a flake who's opinion probably has less validity than the guy who delivers pizza to your house.

#151383 - 03/18/06 09:04 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

You realize there are different types and degrees of psychiatric disorders that respond to different medications in different ways to varying degrees, right?

#151384 - 03/18/06 09:04 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Ygraine]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly. I am currently on medication for a chemical problem. I wouldn't even dream of taking "talk therapy" for a problem that that lies within my body alone. I mean, how stupid can you be? As Magister Rose said, this is not a black and white problem. I have never, ever, symphatised with people who are either for or against something. Especially not prescribed medication.

#151385 - 03/18/06 09:09 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Sarracenia Offline
CoS Member

What of the violent, say, paranoid schizophrenic? If he poses an immediate threat, he must be subdued and restrained physically and/or chemically. Again, not everything is in black or white. If you are more swayed by anecdotes, I have more than enough to support drug treatment for psychiatric disorders.

Fortunately, the fact that they have no value to an argument will spare me from having to post them.

ToV

#151386 - 03/18/06 09:09 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: $lesk]
DeLamar_J Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly. I am currently on medication for a chemical problem. I wouldn't even dream of taking "talk therapy" for a problem that that lies within my body alone. I mean, how stupid can you be? As Magister Rose said, this is not a black and white problem. I have never, ever, symphatised with people who are either for or against something. Especially not prescribed medication.

From what I have read, it all boils down to this...Every case must be delt with on an individual basis. I am just a little more against drugs than for drugs. I think they should be a last resort, but still, what do I know? Its not like I have a phd, just an opinion.

#151387 - 03/18/06 09:09 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
Satanya Offline
Banned

I understand what you are saying now, Magister. Thank you for the clarification.

I agree, well, I see. When it comes to entertainment, the entertainer’s image can be very powerful, to the point where the fan will indeed even go as far as vote for a political party because their idols did so.

Like if God wasn´t enough, let´s re-inforce it with the Big Brother.

I was just pointing out that when it doesn´t come to the area of entertainment, or as far as it goes specifically with media influence, the issue has all these other bunch of angles.

HS!

#151388 - 03/18/06 09:13 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Every case must be delt with on an individual basis.

Imagine that! One size fits all is never a good option.

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#151389 - 03/18/06 09:22 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: MagisterRose]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
Quote:

Imagine that! One size fits all is never a good option.

Tellme about it! I once was dumb enough to buy a "one size fits all" shirt, and i looked like I was wearing a friggin' tent!

#151390 - 03/18/06 10:43 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Satanya]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

I agree with you that a person can become skilled or knowledgeable in many areas. People are not uni-faceted. People tend to be shocked by me, for example, because I know about topics outside of my general area of study, when really, I think it's natural, healthy, and even necessary to have a broad knowledge and interest base.

But, I certainly agree with Magister Svengali that most actors and actresses are brainless blowhards. They aren't this way just because they're only "supposed" to be good at acting, rather, they are this way because the world they live in and the lifestyles they lead encourage them to be vapid, out-of-touch, arrogant, insecure, and spoiled. You wouldn't ask Britney Spears about a serious topic because she's dumber than a box of mice, not because she's only supposed to know about singing and (mediocre) acting.

Of course, the danger here is that so many musicians and actors get so absolutely full of themselves that they begin spouting off at the mouth at things they don't really understand, and THAT is why you must take what they say with a grain of salt. A mental midget with a god complex is truly a scary being to behold.

#151391 - 03/18/06 10:59 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: TrojZyr]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Quote:

A mental midget with a god complex is truly a scary being to behold.

I think I love you now, darling, what is you, Republican or Democrat?

#151392 - 03/18/06 11:06 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Satanya]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Both, and neither .

Nowadays, though, if I have to pick a side, I usually side with the Democrats, though not with conviction or enthusiasm.

#151393 - 03/18/06 11:12 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

I agree that he has no REAL AUTHORITY on the topic. But do any of us? Unless we have a medical degree?

As far as I can tell, the main point that people keep coming back to here is that the advice of a medical doctor should be taken over that of an actor when it comes to medical issues. Does someone really need a medical degree to dispense that kind of advice? What kind of authority are you looking for?

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#151394 - 03/19/06 06:58 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: TrojZyr]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

You wouldn't ask Britney Spears about a serious topic because she's dumber than a box of mice, not because she's only supposed to know about singing and (mediocre) acting.

Oh, boy. Wait until you see Farenheit 9/11.

"Honestly (Smacking gum and twirling hair), I think we should just trust our president in every decision that he makes and we should just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens."

It seems her reasoning skills are even poorer than her singing skills.

#151395 - 03/19/06 07:09 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: London]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Oh, yeah, now I remember that.

Just classic.

But, at least she can tell chicken from tuna, yes?

#151396 - 03/19/06 07:10 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: London]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Oh, boy. Wait until you see Farenheit 9/11.

"Honestly (Smacking gum and twirling hair), I think we should just trust our president in every decision that he makes and we should just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens."

It seems her reasoning skills are even poorer than her singing skills.

Yes that is retarded, her reasoning skills are at about the same level of Michael Moore and his fans.

#151397 - 03/19/06 07:26 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
London Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Yes that is retarded, her reasoning skills are at about the same level of Michael Moore and his fans.

Zing! I wanted to throw a Moore stab in there as well, but just couldn't get any to come out right...

#151398 - 03/19/06 07:28 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: TrojZyr]
London Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

But, at least she can tell chicken from tuna, yes?

But I tought tuna was the chicken of the sea? Wait... What.. I'm confused... Where am I?!

#151399 - 03/19/06 07:31 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: London]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Brittany Spears has more intelligence in her toejam than Michael Moore has in his brainpan.

Where do you think that places his fans on the bell curve?

#151400 - 03/19/06 07:41 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
London Offline
CoS Member

Oh, I agree with you entirely.

Many of Moore's detractors claim he is a brilliant propagandist, but I disagree. I think his propaganda is textbook and fairly easy to spot. It works simply because his fans are so easily duped. That is indicative of where they lie on the Bell Curve...

#151401 - 03/19/06 12:04 PM Thomas Szasz [Re: reprobate]
Isabel23 Offline
CoS Magistra

Thank you!

Dr Szasz has been fighting the long and lonely battle against the mindless "drug them and stack them" reality, and opposes the imposition of medication in the absence of actual crime.

Thomas Szasz

#151402 - 03/23/06 02:04 PM Re: Thomas Szasz [Re: Isabel23]
DeLamar_J Offline

#151403 - 03/25/06 11:35 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

I certaintly think that Tom Cruise, whatever is religion is, in that particular interview is a winner against that pathetic, pedantic, "I know better than you" entertainer. At least, Cruise, has the wiseness to laugh it out instead of jumping on his opponent at the end.

As for the question if Cruise wasn't just not taking care of his own business in that interview, I thing he just voices his opinion, and there is no wrong with that, right.

Finally, regarding his opinion, I think that he is right about saying that medicamentation for mental disorder problems is just a mask, not the solution. One key phrase is that, "these medicamentations are just mind altering substances", and certainly not taken by indulgence, something Satanism is against of, no?

One flaw of Cruise's opinion, pinpoint by some on this thread, is that they were no such thing as chemical imbalance. I think there is certainly case were medicamentation is of primary importance, particulary in extreme case of violent schizophrenia, for which medical imbalance seems right.

But mild medicamentation seems to have been Cruise's target. In that case, I certainly agree that it looks very like a conspiracy that millions of people (children) are now suffering chemical imbalance, while a few decades (years) ago, they were no such thing. Has psychiatry discovered a new disease or has they created a new one?

As for medicamentation in general, I think that the field is so uncertained and so unsure, that is becoming ridiculuous. Most are just pain killer, and in my own experience, they are many time more worst than just doing regular outdoor exercice. But isn't big money involved, isn't it? Outdoor exercice worth nothing.

#151404 - 03/25/06 02:08 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: luciferHammer]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

and certainly not taken by indulgence, something Satanism is against of, no?

Don't get so caught up in the bold print that you can't read between the lines.

If medication is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner for a professionally diagnosed problem, then what is wrong with that?

If you need technicalities I have one for you.

Taking the prescribed medication is indulging your desire to get better.

Does Tom Cruise have a right to his opinion? Sure.

But when he attempts to pass that opinion off as scientifically validated and superior to professional opinion, then it quickly becomes self-righteous bullshit.

Quote:

In that case, I certainly agree that it looks very like a conspiracy that millions of people (children) are now suffering chemical imbalance, while a few decades (years) ago, they were no such thing.

Chemical imbalances didn't just appear overnight.

You need to remember that "decades" ago medicine and science (psychology) were not as effective as they are today.

You are comparing two separate worlds of thought.

Also, times were different then, much more conservative and socially critical. Admitting to mental problems didn't look good for the aspiring businessman or dutiful housewife. The 'hush hush' mentality was dominant.

Edited by AmbientLogic (03/25/06 02:59 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#151405 - 03/25/06 02:34 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Poetaster]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

Quote:

Don't get so caught up in the bold print that you can't read between the lines.

"... that is impossible for you to read between it's lines" is certainly better construct.

Quote:

If medication is proscribed by a licensed medical practitioner for a professionally diagnosed problem, then what is wrong with that?

Prescribe??

Quote:

But when he attempts to pass that opinion off as scientifically validated and superior to professional opinion, then it quickly becomes self-righteous bullshit.

He never said it was scientifically validated. He anwsered that the claimed about him being member of the Church of Scientologist was right, never said his opinion was superior to professional opinion, that was the pitfall it's interview try to put in. Are you trying to do it with me?

Quote:

Chemical imbalances didn't just appear overnight.

You need to remember that "decades" ago medicine and science (psychology) were not as effective as they are today.

Overnight and year is certainly an order more separate than year and decade (in fact, 365 1/4 less exception to 10). And if they are so advanced, why they are more troubled people needing medicamentation? If they are so advanced, why not advicing medicamentation who really cure. The fact is they don't know, but they are a lot of money to do by selling medecine.

Cnn

Read the article above. You'll have the best proof that mental disease medication is far for being right. In fact, I'd better flip a count to decide which medicament to take than ask a doctor. Did I make myself clear?

#151406 - 03/25/06 02:58 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: luciferHammer]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

"... that is impossible for you to read between it's lines" is certainly better construct.

What?

Quote:

Prescribe??

My mistake. Thank you.

Quote:

He never said it was scientifically validated. He anwsered that the claimed about him being member of the Church of Scientologist was right, never said his opinion was superior to professional opinion, that was the pitfall it's interview try to put in. Are you trying to do it with me?

Apparently you and I watched two separate interviews.

Quote:

Overnight and year is certainly an order more separate than year and decade (in fact, 365 1/4 less exception to 10).

A figure of speech. It's an English thing.

Quote:

And if they are so advanced, why they are more troubled people needing medicamentation? If they are so advanced, why not advicing medicamentation who really cure. The fact is they don't know, but they are a lot of money to do by selling medecine.

Completely irrelevent to my entire position.

You claimed that you think it's a "conspiracy" and that "decades" ago chemical imbalances didn't exist.

I pointed out that they did.

Medicine and science are not perfect, however, it's like night and day compared to a few decades ago.

Quote:

In fact, I'd better flip a count to decide which medicament to take than ask a doctor. Did I make myself clear?

If that makes you feel better, by all means.

I'll still consult a professional before leaving my fate to chance.

It's all clear - after strenuous effort.

- Sam Harris

#151407 - 03/25/06 03:17 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Poetaster]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently you and I watched two separate interviews.

I mean, his opinion. Just read after the assertment.

Quote:

Quote:

Overnight and year is certainly an order more separate than year and decade (in fact, 365 1/4 less exception to 10).

A figure of speech. It's an English thing.

Figure of speech has nothing to deal with rigorous thougths. Science is all about it, otherwise it is not science.

Quote:

Quote:

And if they are so advanced, why they are more troubled people needing medicamentation? If they are so advanced, why not advicing medicamentation who really cure. The fact is they don't know, but they are a lot of money to do by selling medecine.

Completely irrelevent to my entire position.

You claimed that you think it's a "conspiracy" and that "decades" ago chemical imbalances didn't exist.

I pointed out that they did.

I pointed out that chemical imbalances are likely existing in extreme cases in my first post. This statement was only to underline the strange fact that so many poeple seems to have a mental problem these days. Well, if you consider sheeps mentally diseased, maybe it is right to claim so.

Quote:

In fact, I'd better flip a count to decide which medicament to take than ask a doctor. Did I make myself clear?

If that makes you feel better, by all means.

I'll still consult a professional before leaving my fate to chance.

Did you click on the link I've provided, did you read what was written, and do you have basic statistic knowledge to understand it. Thought it was aim to only one kind of mental disease, it is a big one and enough for me to be supicous of doctors.

#151408 - 03/25/06 03:59 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: luciferHammer]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I mean, his opinion. Just read after the assertment.

Watch the interview again.

If you can't see that Tom Cruise condescended everything that didn't fit with his opinion, then I can't help you.

Furthermore, there's no ambiguity about his arrogance towards those who do take medication. 'Tom knows, you don't' was the basic message through the entire interview.

On numerous occasions he stated to have "studied" the issue, yet not once does he offer any conclusive evidence to support his theory.

In conclusion, Mr. Cruise is just another rube who was taken for a ride.

Quote:

Figure of speech has nothing to deal with rigorous thougths. Science is all about it, otherwise it is not science.

I made the comment "chemical imbalances didn't appear overnight."

You proceeded to explain to me that "overnight" and "year" were not compatible timeframes. This is true, however, irrelevent.

I then explained to you that it was nothing more than a figure of speech.

At this point you decided I needed a lesson in scientific method and a reminder that "figures of speech" do not coincide with rigorous scientific thought. Not sure how you decided upon that conclusion or what it has to do with my statement, but ok.

I'm inclined to ask if you even know what a "figure of speech" is?

Quote:

Did you click on the link I've provided, did you read what was written, and do you have basic statistic knowledge to understand it. Thought it was aim to only one kind of mental disease, it is a big one and enough for me to be supicous of doctors.

Yes, I did read the article.

Unfortunately for you, it does nothing to support your claim that medical doctors haven't a clue.

In fact, it provides evidence to the contrary.

As I stated, medicine is not perfect and will have different effects on different people according to their physiology.

Certainly you know that medicine can't be 100% effective 100% of the time for 100% of the patients taking said medications; it'd be foolish to think so.

It would also be foolish to assume that because Joe Blow didn't react to the medicine - even though Tom, Dick and Harry did - that the medicine is worthless and the doctor who prescribed it is an idiot.

The article goes on to explain that even in cases that one medicine had no positive effect, a simple switch of medication generally fixed the problem. Which I'm sure you read that the study concluded it was safe to do so for the five medications in question?

If you want to continue this conversation, private message me. I'm sure that nobody wants to see our pointless bickering.

- Sam Harris

#151409 - 03/25/06 04:26 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Poetaster]
BEHERIT Offline

Now whats the theory and science behind that. tom cruise is a brainwashed scientology moron.

#151410 - 03/25/06 04:35 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: BEHERIT]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

That's my point.

- Sam Harris

#151411 - 03/25/06 04:35 PM Actors what? [Re: TrojZyr]
mastiva Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

But, I certainly agree with Magister Svengali that most actors and actresses are brainless blowhards. They aren't this way just because they're only "supposed" to be good at acting, rather, they are this way because the world they live in and the lifestyles they lead encourage them to be vapid, out-of-touch, arrogant, insecure, and spoiled. You wouldn't ask Britney Spears about a serious topic because she's dumber than a box of mice, not because she's only supposed to know about singing and (mediocre) acting.

I don't think most actors and actresses are "brainless blowtards". Certainly many that are on the top of the film industry may be that way, or appear that way; alot of that is due to the nature of the television and tabloids that educate the masses about the "lives of their favorite stars".

However, those people and their vapidity should not be assumed to be what actors and actresses are as a whole. I am an actress; I deal a great deal in theatre; I know many actors.

Certainly, like the rest of the race, there are idiots, but acting is Hardly a profession that is mostly succeeded in by morons. It takes a Great Deal of intelligence, courage, and emotional willingness to actually realistically portray someone they are not in situations they are not in. Educated actors do loads of research and developement for every role they play - and most people can not even comprehend desiring to do that much research for their profession, or even for themselves!

I never assume that actors know what they are talking about based on their fame; I never watch or read anything pertaining to their lives, but I would also never assume that just because of twits like Britney Spears or Tom Cruise that the profession is doomed to be riddled with shallow fools.

"You wouldn't ask Britney Spears about a serious topic because she's dumber than a box of mice, not because she's only supposed to know about singing and (mediocre) acting."

While Britney may not be a great actress, I can't help but notice that it feels as though you are assuming a bit much about what is entailed in learning how to act. Once again, sure, that girl is dumb and can only act as herself in whatever parts she gets due to her fame, but the truly good actors not only spend years and years honing their craft, giving up most of their time in dedication and effort, but Also are fairly well educated in a variety of other areas, because in order to play other people, with various professions, education levels, and world experiences, one must know something about the world and the knowledge within it also.

Forgive me if this seems harsh; I just hate to see the world I love lumped in so quickly with the few idiots that seem to crowd idiotic newstand paper products.

#151412 - 03/25/06 06:06 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Poetaster]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

Quote:

Yes, I did read the article.

Unfortunately for you, it does nothing to support your claim that medical doctors haven't a clue.

In fact, it provides evidence to the contrary.

Can I remember you that the chance of being right by flipping a coin is 50%, without side effets....

#151413 - 03/25/06 06:11 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Quote:

cant tell if your for or against drugs or not.

Exactly.

It is funky little number we call "The Third Side."

I'm for people taking responsibility for their malfunctions in whatever way works for them.

I'm for more self-awareness and less busy-bodies.

I'm for query and against knee-jerk reactions.

I'm for disagreeing with my neighbor and maintaining friendly relations provided they don't interfere with my ability to self-choose.

The world is tad rougher in shades of gray, but a whole lot more ineteresting.

Y~

#151414 - 03/25/06 06:54 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
I would take that has-been hack with less than a grain of salt.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#151415 - 03/26/06 01:00 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Citizen Jonesy]
DeLamar_J Offline

#151416 - 03/27/06 12:32 AM Re: Actors what? [Re: mastiva]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

I should've been more specific. Or, perhaps I was too specific, when I should've been more general.

I'd say most celebrities--the people who appear on VH1, basically--are idiots. Half are actors, and half are musicians/performers. They're the crowd to whom I was referring.

It has nothing to do with acting per se, and I certainly wasn't referring to theatre. (I've done some theatre acting myself.) I was referring to celebrity, and the cult of celebrity, more than anything.

#151417 - 03/27/06 08:21 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Drugs should not be used as a cure all, however chemical imbalances are a reality. The largest problem is misdiagnosis, people can manipulate the system.
What I would ask is this-"what does Tome Cruise know about being pregnant?", and "does being a scientologist automatically make one an expert on psychotropic drugs and/or Psychiatry?". It is true though that Psychiatry and prescribing drugs is hit and miss. Being pregnant does alter hormone levels, the degree of significance is different for every women though. A good psychiatrist will examine practical applications rather than just dole out drugs.

#151418 - 03/27/06 09:32 PM Re: Actors what? [Re: TrojZyr]
mastiva Offline
CoS Member

You have appeased me I figured as much, but I was taken aback in the moment.

#151419 - 03/30/06 03:00 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DickSteele]
uncleherpe Offline

I really hate his whole crusade against ritalin. I have pretty severe ADD and its hard to finish a thought or carry a conversation more often than not, its a shitty way to live and I dont blame people who get ritalin. I dont get high off it at all even though its technically speed.

#151420 - 03/30/06 08:43 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Kewpster Offline

Loc: Texas
Tom Cruise is a babbling fool. He has confirmed it by speaking about that which he obviously knows nothing about.
Chemical disorders can be treated by medications and in some cases, medication is the only fix. Unfortunately, these imbalances are not detectable by blood testing. The physician will generally start the patient on a mild form of whatever medication and then treat the symptoms from there. I have seen first hand the benefit of medicating people for their phycological issues. It can make a world of difference. Having said that, there are physicians that jump the gun on prescribing the fix all pill without getting to know the patient. These are the doctors that are in it for the kickbacks from the drug companies for meeting quota on the new fix all pill. Sadly, there are alot of people that are caught in this type of scheme. Sometimes counseling will help instead of medicating, but that is something that the doctor and patient should decide.

Kewpster

#151421 - 04/07/06 06:37 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
WolfMoon Offline

Aside from the many amounts of bad press about Scientology and Tom Cruise (I think that speaks for itself). I disagree about automatically calling someone "weak" for being treated for an illness. I'm sure there are many people that are prescribed anti-depressants that should not be. Although, if someone has a serious depression problem that is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, science is the best way to go! Some people simply cannot function at all if they do not get proper medical help. The same goes for any condition.

#151422 - 04/07/06 11:44 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: WolfMoon]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

"Although, if someone has a serious depression problem that is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, science is the best way to go! "

Depression sometimes means that a person's physiochemistry is much lower than what has been determined as a baseline.

Chronic pain burns through and depletes neurotransmitters and causes more pain.

In keeping with your post, it is when people have an actual problem they refuse to treat that they get what's coming to them.

#151423 - 04/08/06 01:59 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
As someone who is studying Psychology, I am going to dip my feet into this.

Tom Cruise is a moron.

I am not an expert, but I know enough from studying and personal experience that he has no idea what he is talking about.

Chemical imbalance doesn't exist? Does he know what a neurotransmitter is? Does he know what proteins are?

Neuroscience lesson FYI:
Human behaviour is just as easily influenced as any phenotypical trait of the human body (eye colour, skin tone, et cetera). Each neurotransmitter is made by certain proteins which are coded by RNA wich are in turn coded by DNA. When you have a flaw in the DNA which prevents said protein from being produced (or enviromental changes, diet, gene inactivation...) You have a chemical imbalance. Saying you don't need drugs or psychology/psychiatry/neuroscience/cognitive science to fix such a problem is like saying you don't need oil to keep your car running smoothly. Sure it will work for a while, but you may get other problems. People with mental disorders that cause great amounts of stress usually end up developing ulcers, heart problems and other mental issues such as Anxiety panic disorder.

Most medications today are designed, bot to replace lost nurotransmitters (that would be tough) but to tell the terminal buttons -located at the synapse of two neurons(brain cells)- weather or not to reuptake said transmitters as quicker or slower.

Problems may occure because said person may have more than one chemical imbalance but only one problem is noticed, or they diagnosed the wrong neurotransmitter as being imbalanced (getting the correct one by just looking at a person is nearly impossible). There can be up to 5 neurotransmitters that cause the same behaviour. Try looking up how many endorphines exist.

#151424 - 04/08/06 04:04 PM Daark's Law [Re: Quaark]
Majic Offline

Loc: Sagittarius III
Quote:

Ever notice that any discussion of any kind has a gravity-like tendency to eventually morph into a discussion of "who I'd like to do"?

If I may be so presumptuous (and indeed I may)...

Daark's Law

"As any discussion of any kind grows longer, the probability of it morphing into a discussion of 'who I'd like to do' approaches one."

...oh, and, um... Tom Cruise is a Nazi!

Edit: Modified to apply universal scope, as originally expressed by Professor Daark.

Edited by Majic (04/08/06 10:10 PM)

#151425 - 04/08/06 04:49 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
Tom needs electroshock. It'd likely make him a better actor. Or at least make him an actor at all. Fame and fortune doesn't equate with right thinking, or accurate knowledge. He is a scientologist, after all...

#151426 - 04/08/06 05:34 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
solomondark Offline

Loc: canada
Thank u DeLamar for posting this I am 100% support Tom Cruise from the point of view of that drug is not the way to escape realty what ever religion does work for someone is a way to get out of this kind of problem . I have been seeing a mental doctor for almost 6-month and tow month ago I become a Satanist when I draw the figure my successes of been free of drug is become more stronger after I become Satanist now I can say am in control . "self existence" in Satanism remind us a healthy mind Solomon. Hail Satan !

#151427 - 04/08/06 08:51 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
BrotherJoseph Offline

Loc: usa
I could not agree more with what he talks about.
What he says about drugs only "masking" the problem completeley makes sense.
Has anyone seen the movie tumbsucker? The kid in the movie goes through a point in his life where his school thinks he has add, so he gets prescribed riddilin, and it seems to make things better, but not health wise. You'll have to see it to find out, its one of my favorite movies.

#151428 - 04/08/06 10:53 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: solomondark]
uncleherpe Offline

Quote:

Thank u DeLamar for posting this I am 100% support Tom Cruise from the point of view of that drug is not the way to escape realty what ever religion does work for someone is a way to get out of this kind of problem . I have been seeing a mental doctor for almost 6-month and tow month ago I become a Satanist when I draw the figure my successes of been free of drug is become more stronger after I become Satanist now I can say am in control . "self existence" in Satanism remind us a healthy mind Solomon. Hail Satan !

1.HUH?

2. in reply to what I did understand- that you support tom cruise's viewpoint: I would think a satanic point of view on mental illness is to just take care of it, in whatever way works best. I dont look down on anyone for taking perscription drugs if they work correctly and there is no abuse involved.

#151429 - 04/09/06 02:56 PM Wow... [Re: DeLamar_J]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

More than 1600 answers for one dyslexic ?

#484453 - 12/28/12 04:11 AM Re: Wow... [Re: DeLamar_J]
Clarkkent Offline

Loc: Illinois
Drugs are drugs are drugs. Drugs in the dictionary basically meaning basically depicts a state of being delusional, or not sober. What is a drug? What is medicine? What is alcohol? What is sugar? What is a double cheeseburger? Hell they all have uses, anything can be abused. If it works it works. To ignorantly state that anything is useless or inferior just because someone labeled it a "drug" is absolutely dangerous. Man once lived without any "drugs". Man, in this "perfect" state without "drugs" for some reason went through all the trouble of discovering how to make a damn complex compound called cocaine.... why? Who the hell knows but to assume that we in our perfection are/were completely content somehow without them is a bit contradictive. Many sought out drugs, even Christians have to admit, it was written Jesus turned water into wine... Why? Not because it was superior in the form of hydrating the body. Therefore, there are uses for anything in this world, and they all probably work for one and not another. Some seem to want to convince others that because they themselves, and their group can do it (already you have admitted they are "like" you because it's your group) one way, everyone else is wrong in their method because their group can do it why can't you? Well the fact is, they may or may not be right that drugs are not ultimately more useful than they are harmful. But tell the majority of the world who are impoverished, and who, on a regular basis wake up wondering what the hell this thing called happiness is (that they can vaguely remember as a child) that drugs don't satisfy at least some need in their life whether it be pain of the mind, body, etc. Until the quality of life is increased severely in so many ways around the world, drugs play their part to at least temporarily give some relief to those that need them. If all drugs did was hurt us, well shit, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be used on such a regular basis as they do. Diabetes is one of the leading causes of serious illness in the world today. So address this drug sugar before we go on and increasingly imprison over half the world's prisoners (and we only have less than a half billion people here!) for importing, trafficing, and using drugs which don't even statistically mount up to much at all compared to "sugar" for god sake! Start raiding sugar factories, and start making 0% tolerance for DUI's before jumping on pharmaceuticals or cartels. To be honest until people's withered, decaying, and apathetic minds are straightened out most have completely lost the comprehension of what happiness is anyway. Most people lost their "belief" in true happiness at about age 15. This was "growing up" and realizing it was a lie according to what most will tell you (generation after generation, very unfortunate). Until that ignorant type of "Life is a bitch and then you die", "it's a cold cruel world out there", "everyone is out for themselves", that is just plain paranoid, and too used to failing to even attempt creating paradise or taking advantage of their possibly one life to live. So these one liners I hear that this is bad, and that is good. No two ways about it means nothing. We're all very different, and yet we are so very similar in just about every way....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405208 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements