Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#151366 - 03/17/06 09:47 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Lust Offline

I do not understand why you think this is a good interview.
On what authority is "Tom" speaking on?
"Tom" is an "actor" not a Doctor.

The Today show for that matter would interview a
Goat, if the producers thought it would get more ratings.
Remember Katie's Anal Probe.
Hail Satan!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#151367 - 03/17/06 11:21 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Do you really think a hysteric fanatic trying too hard at proselytize his retarded white-light religion to the masses qualifies as a "good interview"?

#151368 - 03/18/06 01:46 AM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Atheon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
If the drugs are an easy way out, why not take it? Taking the hard way out would be dumb if you know an easy way exists.

I agree that doctors go on overkill when it comes to drugs. There are non-chemical means to help with some mental disorders. For some drugs are the answer. Try having a nervous breakdown, scizhophrenia or bipolar disorder and see if Scientology can help you. (These can be medically induced if you care to run a personal experiment.) Let us all know the results.

Atheon Naturali

#151369 - 03/18/06 12:26 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Further proof that Tom Cruise is an idiot. "Psychology is a psuedoscience" - this comming from a SCIENTOLOGIST. Sorry buddy, you have zero credibility on any scientific matter - no matter what "history" you have read!

Are there instances of overmedication? Yes.
Can medication actually be harmfull to some people? Yes.
Has medication proven to be beneficial to many, many more people? HELL YEAH!

There are many people very close to me who's quality of life have been improved by the propper administration of medication.

One close friend in particular is a much happier person who is not as quick to anger as before he started taking Adderol. This individual is also much more enjoyable to be around than before.

I took Ritalin througought high school - in the first few years of college I suspected the drug no longer worked for me and my doctor agreed. I am currently not on any medications but I am contemplating talking to a doctor about restarting medications for anxiety and anger - seing how friends with the same problem I have have been helped by medication.

SETI@Home Team

#151370 - 03/18/06 12:41 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
It's interesting to note, that in the posted interview, Tom Cruise declares several times that "I've researched psychiatry/psychology, that is why I know about these things, and you don't" ; yet, he never once applies any factual evidence to support his position that he has, indeed, researched the subject.

However, instead of calling Tom on his shit, Matt allows himself to be put on the defensive, and gives Tom sanction to control the conversation.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
~ Charles Bukowski

#151371 - 03/18/06 03:30 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
DeLamar_J Offline

I think that in some cases drugs can help, but I think they are given out to quickly these days. It seems like every time someone goes to have a problem treated, they are instantly medicated instead of being talked to. Sometimes people are given drugs when they just need someone who cares to talk to them, and help them through an issue.
What I like about the inteview is when he says what is an ideal situation? People not being drugged. In alot of cases I think this is true.
I'm not a shrink, but my wife was medicated at one time and it messed up her life for a few years. As soon as she stopped taking drugs, her life became better, she became more active, and a more positive person. I realize everyone is not like my wife, and that every case is individual. But I think drugs are being handed out like hotcakes nowadays.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. My personal web page---> http://www.myspace.com/39440105

#151372 - 03/18/06 07:33 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Quote:

I think that in some cases drugs can help, but I think they are given out to quickly these days.

You think that in some cases drugs might help?

Unless it is you or your child, your opinion isn't required. These are personal decisions between patients and doctors. Period. Bad doctors will practice bad medicine, stupid people will take stupid advice, but in the end, utilizing the existing science is no sin.

Quote:

It seems like every time someone goes to have a problem treated, they are instantly medicated instead of being talked to. Sometimes people are given drugs when they just need someone who cares to talk to them, and help them through an issue.

So you think "talk therapy" is better than chemistry in treating illnesses. Hmmmm.

Moreover, if someone is such a wretched human that they do not have a sustainable relationship in w3hich they can "talk", artificial relationships will not help.

Talk therapy can be useful, but a chemical problem is best treated chemically.

Quote:

But I think drugs are being handed out like hotcakes nowadays.

I just did a little research. In most states and by regulation of the insurance companies patients on psychiatric drugs have to see their doctor monthly. There must be a minimum of 30 days between each new prescription--even of a drug that someone has been on for years. Blood work must be done regularly, etc....

Sounds a bit more tricky than hotcakes to me.

As for your wife, who must be thrilled you choose to share her psychiatric history with strangers (probably could do with a valium for that, I bet), anecdotal stories cannot be used to determine legitimacy of drug treatments.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#151373 - 03/18/06 08:12 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Ygraine]
Satanya Offline
Banned

That it is all about television there is no doubt about, but from Dr. Phill to Tom Cruise its a bit of a decline. What else could possibly be said but God bless America?

If you ask me: this thread is starting to look like an Oprah Winfrey episode. Why am I watching it -- I dont know.

#151374 - 03/18/06 08:30 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Quote:

I have yet to fathom why anyone would be interested in the opinions of actors or musicians on topics other than acting or music.

Entertainers typically occupy the shallow end of the brain pool.

With all due respect, Magister, Ill have to disagree because otherwise my finger-tips wont stop tickling.

I would not like to think that an expertise can only equal all an expert can have knowledge about.

That would be like saying: a musician can only know about music, an actor can only know about films, a lawyer can only know about law, a doctor can only know about medicine.

It isnt the case. Whilst I agree that at times that might occur, I wouldnt generalise it. Surely Ill ask not for the expertise pertaining to a doctor to a lawyer but opinions & expertises are different animals. In my opinion?

#151375 - 03/18/06 08:32 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Ygraine]
DeLamar_J Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I think that in some cases drugs can help, but I think they are given out to quickly these days.

You think that in some cases drugs might help?

Unless it is you or your child, your opinion isn't required. These are personal decisions between patients and doctors. Period. Bad doctors will practice bad medicine, stupid people will take stupid advice, but in the end, utilizing the existing science is no sin.

Quote:

It seems like every time someone goes to have a problem treated, they are instantly medicated instead of being talked to. Sometimes people are given drugs when they just need someone who cares to talk to them, and help them through an issue.

So you think "talk therapy" is better than chemistry in treating illnesses. Hmmmm.

Moreover, if someone is such a wretched human that they do not have a sustainable relationship in w3hich they can "talk", artificial relationships will not help.

Talk therapy can be useful, but a chemical problem is best treated chemically.

Quote:

But I think drugs are being handed out like hotcakes nowadays.

I just did a little research. In most states and by regulation of the insurance companies patients on psychiatric drugs have to see their doctor monthly. There must be a minimum of 30 days between each new prescription--even of a drug that someone has been on for years. Blood work must be done regularly, etc....

Sounds a bit more tricky than hotcakes to me.

As for your wife, who must be thrilled you choose to share her psychiatric history with strangers (probably could do with a valium for that, I bet), anecdotal stories cannot be used to determine legitimacy of drug treatments.

Y~

I cant tell if your for or against drugs or not. You say (Talk therapy can be useful, but a chemical problem is best treated chemically), and then (So you think "talk therapy" is better than chemistry in treating illnesses. Hmmmm. Moreover, if someone is such a wretched human that they do not have a sustainable relationship in w3hich they can "talk", artificial relationships will not help) So are you for drugs? If someone is a wretched human then should they just be drugged and then consider the problem fixed?

Edited by DeLamar_J (03/18/06 08:37 PM)
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. My personal web page---> http://www.myspace.com/39440105

#151376 - 03/18/06 08:37 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
Sarracenia Offline
CoS Member

Basically, instead of considering the content of the post, you are asking a well thought out response to be condensed to a simplistic yay or nay.

ToV

#151377 - 03/18/06 08:43 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Sarracenia]
DeLamar_J Offline

Quote:

Basically, instead of considering the content of the post, you are asking a well thought out response to be condensed to a simplistic yay or nay.

I just want to know if this person is for drugs or against. From what I have read it seems this person is leaning more in the direction of yes. Some people can be so crazy to the point where they cannot be reasoned with, but does that justify drugging them? Just dope them up and consider the problem gone?

Edited by DeLamar_J (03/18/06 08:46 PM)

#151378 - 03/18/06 08:44 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Satanya]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
If an entertainer has some background in the field in question, then his point of view on that field may have some validity - even then his point of view is validated by that background and not his status as an entertainer.

If Cruise had some legitimate background in psychiatry his point of view might carry some weight, but he does not. Aside from his celebrity status and whatever arrogance he derives from subscribing to his pseudoscientific "religion", his point of view carries no more weight than any random person taken off the street.

He has no authority on the topic, quite the opposite in fact given his history, and unless he is able to present a convincing argument based on verifiable information from legitimate sources it is just more hot air from another Hollywood blowhard.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#151379 - 03/18/06 08:50 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: Svengali]
DeLamar_J Offline

Quote:

If an entertainer has some background in the field in question, then his point of view on that field may have some validity - even then his point of view is validated by that background and not his status as an entertainer.

If Cruise had some legitimate background in psychiatry his point of view might carry some weight, but he does not. Aside from his celebrity status and whatever arrogance he derives from subscribing to his pseudoscientific "religion", his point of view carries no more wieght than any random person taken off the street.

He has no authority on the topic, quite the opposite in fact given his history, and unless he is able to present a convincing argument based on verifiable information from legitimate sources it is just more hot air from another Hollywood blowhard.

I agree that he has no REAL AUTHORITY on the topic. But do any of us? Unless we have a medical degree? All I can offer is my own experience, beyond that I have no real authority, same as most people posting in this thread. What I do know is what I have seen, and that is more harm than good when it comes to drugging people.

#151380 - 03/18/06 08:52 PM Re: Good Tom Cruise interview [Re: DeLamar_J]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

The world is not a simple matter of black and white options. This is really very basic stuff. Saying I'm for using drugs for psychiatric treatment is just as idiotic as saying I'm against using drugs for psychiatric treatment. Sometimes drugs are useful, sometimes they are not.

By the way, if someone is so crazy they cannot be reasoned with why not drug them into a manageable stupor?

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43876 Topics
405559 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM