Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#151564 - 03/18/06 08:04 AM Membership Has Its Privileges
Hixem Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I have posted this to the General Satanism Discussion forum instead of Questions about the Church of Satan because Id like input and discussion from more than members of the Church of Satan priesthood. Id also like to hear from current CoS members as well as others that are struggling with the same question that I have.

I have been hesitant to join the Church of Satan. Im not sure how a $200 red card will benefit me. The Grotto System, as I understand it, is being phased out by the Church. New and continuing grottoes are the exception, not the rule, as I read from the CoS website. Furthermore, only one physical Church exists, advocating and representing Satanic philosophy and values.

Two hundred dollars is by far cheaper than ten percent of my annual salary. As religions go, it is very affordable. The question though, is not fiscal.

The SatanNet message board is, so far, the only place Ive seen that provides any additional benefit to Church members. There are forums, which I havent seen, that are available only to card carrying members.

My question is what led members of the Church to join, and how membership has had its privileges.

-Sojournist

#151565 - 03/18/06 08:56 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
This is a question that has been asked over and over again, and the answer hasn't changed.

You don't get anything for the $200 membership fee except for membership in the Church of Satan. From there it's up to you. Like everything else in life, what you get out of it is in accordance with what you put into it.

Either you see a point in contributing to the only organization dedicated to carrying forward the religious principles laid down in The Satanic Bible or you don't. It's not our job to convince you.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#151566 - 03/18/06 09:04 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
The reason I mailed off my registration and 200$ is because I wanted to throw my lot in with an organization that supports the things I support.

I'm also not a leech. Anton LaVey offered his wisdom and experience. I think it's only proper that I align myself with something I completely agree with, don't you? It's kind of like saying "thank you."

I don't care if I ever meet another Satanist, although I'm not against it either.

I don't expect benefits.

My benefit comes from helping to further the goals of The Church of Satan, which happen to be the goals I have as well.

I also benefit because it makes me feel good to know that I'm a part of something worthy of respect and admiration.

Besides, the CoS doesn't ask for your money, you offer it; so the question of benefits shouldn't even be a question.

If that's all you're concerned about, then don't join.

It's that simple.

If 200$ is a concern, you have bigger issues anyway.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a persons faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#151567 - 03/18/06 09:16 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Hixem Offline

Loc: North Carolina
If the topic comes up again and again, then Im guilty of not using the simple search function of the forum. This is an oversight that I will correct. I appreciate the feedback, Virus9 and AmbientLogic.

Id like to clarify my original post. The general vibe of my post was Whats in it for me? I admit that to an extent, that is part of the motive of raising the question. The title and tone warranted the predictable and correct replies I received.

I am not, however, soliciting anyone to proselytize or convince me to join the Church. Im more interested in what has lead members to make the decision to affiliate. Every member that participates in the board with a cyan-colored name has made the personal decision to send in an application to join the Church. Im interested in what led them to make the decision.

Im also interested in the thoughts of those unaffiliated.

Why have you joined, or chosen not to?

#151568 - 03/18/06 09:56 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Poster: AmbientLogic

The reason I mailed off my registration and 200$ is because I wanted to throw my lot in with an organization that supports the things I support.

I'm also not a leech. Anton LaVey offered his wisdom and experience. I think it's only proper that I align myself with something I completely agree with, don't you? It's kind of like saying "thank you."

I don't care if I ever meet another Satanist, although I'm not against it either.

I don't expect benefits.

My benefit comes from helping to further the goals of The Church of Satan, which happen to be the goals I have as well.

I also benefit because it makes me feel good to know that I'm a part of something worthy of respect and admiration.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the topic. The only thing that I might add is that I came to these boards to communicate with like minded individuals, and this helped me to accomplish that goal.

The Temple | The Elite

#151569 - 03/18/06 10:01 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Dak Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Somewhere else
Satanism is a religion for the non-joiner. Go about living your life to the fullest and that is evil enough.

When you have recognized that this IS your calling and you are ready to commit yourself and accept that you are evil, you are damned, and you are going to Hell then consider membership. When you decide you are ready to cast your lot with the powers that brought hell to Earth there is no other place than the Church of Satan.
And finally, ASK NOT WHAT THE CHURCH CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR OUR CHURCH

"High proof ye now have given to be the race of Satan, for I glory in the name Antagonist of heaven's almighty king, amply have merited of me of all Th'infernal empire that so near heaven's door triumphal with triumphal act have met, mine with this glorious work, and made one realm, Hell and this world one realm, one contintent of easy thoroughfare." - Satan, Paradise Lost

www.TheCaveStore.com

#151570 - 03/18/06 10:05 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
It's quite simple really. Both AmbientLogic, Taboo and Virus9 is in agreement with my sentiments on this.

"Ask not what the Church can do for you, but what you can do for the Church".

#151571 - 03/18/06 12:16 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Virus9]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
personally i believe giving $200 to those who not only share the same beliefs as you but also brought "hell to earth" is one of the best ways i could spend that type of money. my only problem is im unemployed and my room mate is barely keepin up with the bills so now the question lies in "where the hell am i gonna get $200?" maybe ill go find someone to scam out of that kind of money. its worked before

#151572 - 03/18/06 12:22 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Catalyst]
Dak Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

my only problem is im unemployed and my room mate is barely keepin up with the bills so now the question lies in "where the hell am i gonna get $200?"

This is your first trial in Satanism. Are you effective in the real world? Use what you have learned, if anything, to change your circumstance. If you fail in that, then membership will not benefit you, or the CoS anyway.

#151574 - 03/18/06 12:26 PM It Certainly Does. [Re: Hixem]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

I am not, however, soliciting anyone to proselytize or convince me to join the Church. Im more interested in what has lead members to make the decision to affiliate. Every member that participates in the board with a cyan-colored name has made the personal decision to send in an application to join the Church. Im interested in what led them to make the decision.

Well, certainly the decision to join is variable for each person.

For myself, I wanted to be a part of an organization that I found to be practical and applicable to my lifestyle -- that is, an organization based around the pursuits of the individual.
This is exactly what the Church of Satan is, and why I think you'll hear others posit "what you get from it is equivalent to what you put in."

It's natural to ask "what's in it for me?"
But, understand that only you can answer that question.
You are your own god.
Get it?

HS!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
~ Charles Bukowski

#151575 - 03/18/06 12:35 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Catalyst]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:

my only problem is im unemployed and my room mate is barely keepin up with the bills so now the question lies in "where the hell am i gonna get $200?" maybe ill go find someone to scam out of that kind of money. its worked before

How about being a responsible individual and getting off your ass and getting a job? That way you'll be able to save up $200 without resorting to illegal activity. You'll also cease being a psychic vampire where your roommate is concerned.
Prevention of Virtue

#151576 - 03/18/06 12:36 PM Metaphorical Imagery [Re: Quaark]
Dak Offline

CoS Warlock

You are correct in your observation. My statement was paraphrasing from what I remember of a passage in Ms. Barton's Church of Satan. It was meant in a dual fashion. Partly to intimidate and partly to inspire the final break from white-light religious influences.

"There is no heaven of glory bright, and there is no hell where sinner roast."

#151577 - 03/18/06 12:37 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
If you agree with it, life your life by it, and accept these teachings as fact...

Then it is a token of respect to join The Church of Satan. Which is why I joined. I need no other "benefit" from The Church. It was and is my token of gratitude, respect, and admiration for those that put the time and effort into keeping The Church running.

Had I never joined, there are a few people here that I consider friends but I never would have met otherwise.

There are benefits, they just aren't spelled out as entitlements by the CoS on joining.

There are other more serious things that membership offers, that aren't spelled out either.

It's up to you.

"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine. ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#151579 - 03/18/06 12:41 PM While you're at it... [Re: Catalyst]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Post your required introduction. The 7-day grace period is almost up.
Prevention of Virtue

#151580 - 03/18/06 12:41 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Dak]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
ok im sorry i did not phrase that properly or in its entirety, yes, i am unemployed, but i did just move back up here just 2 weeks ago from 200 miles away in southern ohio. i am not bein a psychic vampire or anything else, seeing as how i am now settled in and every business within 2 miles either direction has my application, making a total of about 25 jobs applied for, and as far as illegal activity? im too smart and too well learned to do my work in an illegal way- i can find money legally, as i have made over $100 since i moved here. i just used scam as it is the only way i could think to describe my doings in short terms. sry for any confusion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12202 Members
73 Forums
43990 Topics
406088 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements