Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#151564 - 03/18/06 08:04 AM Membership Has Its Privileges
Hixem Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I have posted this to the General Satanism Discussion forum instead of Questions about the Church of Satan because Iíd like input and discussion from more than members of the Church of Satan priesthood. Iíd also like to hear from current CoS members as well as others that are struggling with the same question that I have.

I have been hesitant to join the Church of Satan. Iím not sure how a $200 red card will benefit me. The Grotto System, as I understand it, is being phased out by the Church. New and continuing grottoes are the exception, not the rule, as I read from the CoS website. Furthermore, only one physical ďChurchĒ exists, advocating and representing Satanic philosophy and values.

Two hundred dollars is by far cheaper than ten percent of my annual salary. As religions go, it is very affordable. The question though, is not fiscal.

The SatanNet message board is, so far, the only place Iíve seen that provides any additional benefit to Church members. There are forums, which I havenít seen, that are available only to card carrying members.

My question is what led members of the Church to join, and how membership has had its privileges.

-Sojournist

#151565 - 03/18/06 08:56 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
This is a question that has been asked over and over again, and the answer hasn't changed.

You don't get anything for the $200 membership fee except for membership in the Church of Satan. From there it's up to you. Like everything else in life, what you get out of it is in accordance with what you put into it.

Either you see a point in contributing to the only organization dedicated to carrying forward the religious principles laid down in The Satanic Bible or you don't. It's not our job to convince you.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#151566 - 03/18/06 09:04 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
The reason I mailed off my registration and 200$ is because I wanted to throw my lot in with an organization that supports the things I support.

I'm also not a leech. Anton LaVey offered his wisdom and experience. I think it's only proper that I align myself with something I completely agree with, don't you? It's kind of like saying "thank you."

I don't care if I ever meet another Satanist, although I'm not against it either.

I don't expect benefits.

My benefit comes from helping to further the goals of The Church of Satan, which happen to be the goals I have as well.

I also benefit because it makes me feel good to know that I'm a part of something worthy of respect and admiration.

Besides, the CoS doesn't ask for your money, you offer it; so the question of benefits shouldn't even be a question.

If that's all you're concerned about, then don't join.

It's that simple.

If 200$ is a concern, you have bigger issues anyway.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#151567 - 03/18/06 09:16 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Hixem Offline

If the topic comes up again and again, then Iím guilty of not using the simple search function of the forum. This is an oversight that I will correct. I appreciate the feedback, Virus9 and AmbientLogic.

Iíd like to clarify my original post. The general vibe of my post was ďWhatís in it for me?Ē I admit that to an extent, that is part of the motive of raising the question. The title and tone warranted the predictable and correct replies I received.

I am not, however, soliciting anyone to proselytize or convince me to join the Church. Iím more interested in what has lead members to make the decision to affiliate. Every member that participates in the board with a cyan-colored name has made the personal decision to send in an application to join the Church. Iím interested in what led them to make the decision.

Iím also interested in the thoughts of those unaffiliated.

Why have you joined, or chosen not to?

#151568 - 03/18/06 09:56 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Poster: AmbientLogic

The reason I mailed off my registration and 200$ is because I wanted to throw my lot in with an organization that supports the things I support.

I'm also not a leech. Anton LaVey offered his wisdom and experience. I think it's only proper that I align myself with something I completely agree with, don't you? It's kind of like saying "thank you."

I don't care if I ever meet another Satanist, although I'm not against it either.

I don't expect benefits.

My benefit comes from helping to further the goals of The Church of Satan, which happen to be the goals I have as well.

I also benefit because it makes me feel good to know that I'm a part of something worthy of respect and admiration.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the topic. The only thing that I might add is that I came to these boards to communicate with like minded individuals, and this helped me to accomplish that goal.

The Temple | The Elite

#151569 - 03/18/06 10:01 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Dak Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Somewhere else
Satanism is a religion for the non-joiner. Go about living your life to the fullest and that is evil enough.

When you have recognized that this IS your calling and you are ready to commit yourself and accept that you are evil, you are damned, and you are going to Hell then consider membership. When you decide you are ready to cast your lot with the powers that brought hell to Earth there is no other place than the Church of Satan.
And finally, ASK NOT WHAT THE CHURCH CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR OUR CHURCH

"High proof ye now have given to be the race of Satan, for I glory in the name Antagonist of heaven's almighty king, amply have merited of me of all Th'infernal empire that so near heaven's door triumphal with triumphal act have met, mine with this glorious work, and made one realm, Hell and this world one realm, one contintent of easy thoroughfare." - Satan, Paradise Lost

#151570 - 03/18/06 10:05 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
It's quite simple really. Both AmbientLogic, Taboo and Virus9 is in agreement with my sentiments on this.

"Ask not what the Church can do for you, but what you can do for the Church".

#151571 - 03/18/06 12:16 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Virus9]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
personally i believe giving $200 to those who not only share the same beliefs as you but also brought "hell to earth" is one of the best ways i could spend that type of money. my only problem is im unemployed and my room mate is barely keepin up with the bills so now the question lies in "where the hell am i gonna get $200?" maybe ill go find someone to scam out of that kind of money. its worked before

#151572 - 03/18/06 12:22 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Catalyst]
Dak Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

my only problem is im unemployed and my room mate is barely keepin up with the bills so now the question lies in "where the hell am i gonna get $200?"

This is your first trial in Satanism. Are you effective in the real world? Use what you have learned, if anything, to change your circumstance. If you fail in that, then membership will not benefit you, or the CoS anyway.

#151574 - 03/18/06 12:26 PM It Certainly Does. [Re: Hixem]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

I am not, however, soliciting anyone to proselytize or convince me to join the Church. Iím more interested in what has lead members to make the decision to affiliate. Every member that participates in the board with a cyan-colored name has made the personal decision to send in an application to join the Church. Iím interested in what led them to make the decision.

Well, certainly the decision to join is variable for each person.

For myself, I wanted to be a part of an organization that I found to be practical and applicable to my lifestyle -- that is, an organization based around the pursuits of the individual.
This is exactly what the Church of Satan is, and why I think you'll hear others posit "what you get from it is equivalent to what you put in."

It's natural to ask "what's in it for me?"
But, understand that only you can answer that question.
You are your own god.
Get it?

HS!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

ďFor those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.Ē
~ Charles Bukowski

#151575 - 03/18/06 12:35 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Catalyst]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:

my only problem is im unemployed and my room mate is barely keepin up with the bills so now the question lies in "where the hell am i gonna get $200?" maybe ill go find someone to scam out of that kind of money. its worked before

How about being a responsible individual and getting off your ass and getting a job? That way you'll be able to save up $200 without resorting to illegal activity. You'll also cease being a psychic vampire where your roommate is concerned.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#151576 - 03/18/06 12:36 PM Metaphorical Imagery [Re: Quaark]
Dak Offline

CoS Warlock

You are correct in your observation. My statement was paraphrasing from what I remember of a passage in Ms. Barton's Church of Satan. It was meant in a dual fashion. Partly to intimidate and partly to inspire the final break from white-light religious influences.

"There is no heaven of glory bright, and there is no hell where sinner roast."

#151577 - 03/18/06 12:37 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
If you agree with it, life your life by it, and accept these teachings as fact...

Then it is a token of respect to join The Church of Satan. Which is why I joined. I need no other "benefit" from The Church. It was and is my token of gratitude, respect, and admiration for those that put the time and effort into keeping The Church running.

Had I never joined, there are a few people here that I consider friends but I never would have met otherwise.

There are benefits, they just aren't spelled out as entitlements by the CoS on joining.

There are other more serious things that membership offers, that aren't spelled out either.

It's up to you.

"ďLet the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.Ē ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#151579 - 03/18/06 12:41 PM While you're at it... [Re: Catalyst]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Post your required introduction. The 7-day grace period is almost up.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#151580 - 03/18/06 12:41 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Dak]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
ok im sorry i did not phrase that properly or in its entirety, yes, i am unemployed, but i did just move back up here just 2 weeks ago from 200 miles away in southern ohio. i am not bein a psychic vampire or anything else, seeing as how i am now settled in and every business within 2 miles either direction has my application, making a total of about 25 jobs applied for, and as far as illegal activity? im too smart and too well learned to do my work in an illegal way- i can find money legally, as i have made over $100 since i moved here. i just used scam as it is the only way i could think to describe my doings in short terms. sry for any confusion

#151581 - 03/18/06 12:45 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Catalyst]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

personally i believe giving $200 to those who not only share the same beliefs as you but also brought "hell to earth" is one of the best ways i could spend that type of money. my only problem is im unemployed and my room mate is barely keepin up with the bills so now the question lies in "where the hell am i gonna get $200?" maybe ill go find someone to scam out of that kind of money. its worked before

Your comments have reminded me of this handy ritual written by Magister Rose. You may need to alter the ritual slighty to fit your situation, but you are obviously smart enough to figure that out. I am sure that it will help you in your endeavors.

The Temple | The Elite

#151582 - 03/18/06 04:24 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
The question of why I joined the Church is terribly easy to answer.

Why does anyone affiliate with any organization? It is usually because they agree their goals and share their ideals. That is why I joined the CoS.

As for the money, it never bothered me. How useful is it to agree with an organization if one does not in some way help to support it? My $200 was a token of respect and a show of support. It's not at all complicated.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven." - Paradise Lost, lines 251-255 of Book I

Wading in the cyberspace cesspool (MySpace page)

#151583 - 03/18/06 05:23 PM Think about it. [Re: Hixem]
Noxilenticus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell
The information I have gathered from communicating on these forums and in the Members only Special Interest Groups(SIGs) is invaluable(and by invaluable I mean it is highly likely it will save my life in a very long term future and overwhelmingly benefit my power status).

Satanism is not just some fucking fan club. It is the way WE LIVE. The people I have built personal relationships with on these forums are some of the finest people I have ever known. I may even have the privilege of meeting a few of them someday. Maybe someday when you figure it out(on your own) you might gain their respect as well.

This is not a non-profit organization(and nor is any other church in the world claiming to be). Do you think is it cheap to host web pages for the thousands of visitors that come to this lair? How much time do you think admins spend answering all the emails they get from members, inquirers, and crazy religious activists? These people need to make a living too somehow.

200 dollars is a fair amount of money. Fair enough to make sure you understand that you are making a serious decision in your life. Being a Satanist means cutting and gutting the roots of any other religion you have ever participated in(with the exception of the Vampires and any other religions that do not conflict it). The change that I went through after becoming a Satanist was one of the most dramatic transitions in my life. I stopped feeling sorry for starving children in Ethiopia and the thousands of helpless people dying of cancer(to which I am still trying to find a cure for anyway to benefit myself in the future). I started focusing more on my life and my own God self. I have turned my back on my white-light family and do not even celebrate Christmas with them any longer. That doesnít mean you will go through a change similar to mine, I just am that serious about my religion. Life has become no laughing matter to me. I feel I am dying every day and all I want to do is survive(and am attempting that in very serious scientific ways). Of course there is the occasions I go out with friends and family and enjoy myself. The other aspect of my change is that I learned to enjoy my life more, just not to the point where it interferes with my survival or my brain cells(I donít like to drink). In survival of the fittest, the fittest will dominate. Whoís side do you think is going to be fittest?

Hail Satan!
Noxilenticus
"Satanists are epicurean, skeptical atheists who see Satan as a symbol of pride, individualism, and the quality of questioning all dogmas. The word in Hebrew means 'adversary' and so we are each 'Satans' to the doctrines that would have people use faith instead of reason to understand the universe in which we live. Our goal is to enjoy this, the only life we have and not waste it in anticipation of a mythical afterlife or an imagined apocalypse." - News 31 May, XLI A.S. in Reguards to The Satanic High Mass that happened on 6/6/6

- Noxilenticus Zodameranu

#151584 - 03/18/06 05:25 PM Easy to answer. [Re: Hixem]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
If you don't now know the benefit, no one will ever be able to "convince" you that there is any.

#151585 - 03/18/06 05:26 PM Re: While you're at it... [Re: LKRice]
Hixem Offline

Quote:

Post your required introduction. The 7-day grace period is almost up.

Was this directed at me?

http://www.satannet.com/lttd/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=330692&an=0&page=0#Post330692

#151586 - 03/18/06 05:30 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
It's a matter of stratification.

There are many benefits for the worthy.

There are doings that even most CoS members don't get to hear of. And cerainly not anyone else.

Which is actually quite wise. I tell you, It'd make your toes curl.

For those in the know, life is one long party.

What do you bring to the table that qualifies you for the spoils?

#151587 - 03/18/06 07:18 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Why have you joined, or chosen not to?

To answer this as a non-card owner.

Well, I own cards, and lots of them, 52 X 100.

Seriously. I have not joined, because I was the way I was before I read the SB, and I will be even if I did purchase the card, for whatever reason.

There is life, which I chose to live, and then there is not life.

Whatever the CoS "offers", is something I can obtain on my own, if I so choose.

Whether I have the opportunity to do "it" with Magis [insert], is another story for another time.

I may, or I may not have a chance to meet Svengali, however, I may, and it won't be because I have a card.

Now, to clear up my choices in these regards.

I'm not putting down the card.

I'm merely saying that life is, or isn't, and a card won't change that. I am who I am, and have always been, and a card won't change that either.

With this wisdom at hand, I've decided that "IAM" and I am a Satanist, regardless of affiliation.

My respect for the founder, if not staggering in any regard, because I do or do not send in donations, for a card, or just as a donation. The respect still is, no matter what.

And so life goes, without "that" red card, but hey, cards get boring to me, and make my wallet a hassle to sit on!

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#151588 - 03/18/06 07:45 PM Re: While you're at it... [Re: Hixem]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

No. I wasn't talking to you.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#151589 - 03/18/06 08:17 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Felstorm:
Quote:

Then it is a token of respect to join The Church of Satan. Which is why I joined. I need no other "benefit" from The Church. It was and is my token of gratitude, respect, and admiration for those that put the time and effort into keeping The Church running.

Ditto for me.

#151590 - 03/18/06 09:26 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: HellofallHells]
DeLamar_J Offline

Loc: Ohio
Just join and find out. 200$ is not that much money anyway. You dont have to join to be a Satanist, just so you know. Maybey I should stop spending money at the emporium and send in my 200$. Buying from the emporium supports Satanism, so just go there, then you will get something.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. My personal web page---> http://www.myspace.com/39440105

#151591 - 03/19/06 12:24 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
LordDak said it best:
Quote:

ASK NOT WHAT THE CHURCH CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR OUR CHURCH

If the only reason you wish to join is for 'priviledges' then perhaps you shouldn't join. (Though I highly doubt that this will be the case.)

Membership in the Church is just like life - you only get out what you put in. I have been a member for just about a year now and only very recently have I been privileged to something not made available to the general public. If I am never 'privileged' again I will be perfectly fine with that because that is NOT why I joined.

I joined because I agreed with everything in The Satanic Bible and wished to give the devil his due. I joined more out of RESPECT for the Church and it's philosophies than anything else.

Hail Satan!
Hail the the Church of Satan!

SETI@Home Team

#151592 - 03/19/06 07:24 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Poetaster]
Titania Offline

Quote:

I wanted to throw my lot in with an organization that supports the things I support.

Exactly my feelings on the subject.

Quote:

Besides, the CoS doesn't ask for your money, you offer it; so the question of benefits shouldn't even be a question.

people seem to actually forget this. Check out the CoS website. See? There isn't anything stopping you reading any of it's articles and literature. Nothing stopping you from reading any new material posted on there, no 'locked off' members-only section, no subscription fee to exclusive articles or whatever...

#151593 - 03/19/06 07:45 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
I have not joined the church but I may apply to do so in the future. The fee of $200 is not a lot to officially confirm and show your support for a philisophy/way of life that you truly believe in and can relate to.

I wouldn't expect any fringe benefits from acquiring a card, the money I paid would be a show of support and thanks for everything the teachings and writings of Anton Lavey has given me in my life.

I would not expect a 10% discount at my local occult bookshop or a glossy 8 x 10 of Anton Lavey grinning with his thumbs up !

I have met members and non members alike and the subject of membership was never really much of an issue, as we are all individualists why should it be ?

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#151594 - 03/19/06 11:58 AM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Leviathan_Rising Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I have been hesitant to join the Church of Satan. Iím not sure how a $200 red card will benefit me.

I like little red cards. They project the illusion of speediness.

The $200 registration fee is not even worth mentioning. Iím surprised by how often it is brought up as a focal point. Iíll spend that little on a single eveningís entertainment. If the registration fee provides stamps, post-its, ink cartridges, and paper for an administrator to use, than itís all for the better. I donít care for what purpose the organization uses the fee. Hell, I hope the Magistra orders some pizza with it.
MmmÖpizzaÖ

Quote:

The Grotto System, as I understand it, is being phased out by the Church

The Grottos are irrelevant to me. I have never needed a Grotto before, why would I need one now? Do you feel that you need the Churchís approval to start a private Satanic group? As long as said group does not identify itself as ďChurch Approved,Ē I fail to see a problem.

Quote:

My question is what led members of the Church to join, and how membership has had its privileges

As it has been stated many, many, many, many, many, many times before, membership in any org is simply a matter of throwing your hat into the ring with others of the same ilk. One of the professional associations that I belong to requires an annual renewal which is quite a bit more expensive than the Churchís one-time registration fee. What are the benefits of belonging to that association? Well, I get a little membership card and the occasional journal. The other benefits are not readily apparent, yet they do exist.

Where membership privileges are concerned, I seriously doubt that any organization can provide any privilege beyond what I can attain on my own. My life is my own to live. I will not pine away wishing for some secret privilege or unholy beanie-cap* to be bestowed on me. For those that spend copious amounts of time pondering Satanic privilege, that time would better be spent on attaining tangible success in this life. No portion of a beingís life should focus on what privileges might be bestowed for two-hundred dollars.

*The only exception that I make regarding the bestowal of an unholy beanie-cap is the one that is issued at the supremely secret and mega-elite All Hallows Eve Ultra-Satanic Xtreme-Violent-Chainsaw-Orgy-and-Square-Dance Shindigô which is held at the annual Lost Order of Satanic Equilibrium Retreat (or LOSER for short). Now thatís a beanie-cap worth striving forÖ Just be sure to wash it thoroughly after the shindig is over; Iíve heard that it can get kind of sticky.
"Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience." -Einstein

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing. " -Emerson

"The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next." -M. Arnold

Citizen

#151595 - 03/19/06 12:39 PM It's not the card!!!!! [Re: Hixem]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

Iím not sure how a $200 red card will benefit me.

For some reason, some people keep believing $200 is the price of a card. You are not paying for the red paper rectangle, you are paying for your registration into an organization. A life-long membership and you anly have to pay for it once!

When a person graduates from a career, he receives a diploma, right? But that doesn't mean all the money his parents spent in his education since he was a kid went to pay the paper where this diploma is printed.

Quote:

Furthermore, only one physical ďChurchĒ exists, advocating and representing Satanic philosophy and values.

"
I don't understand what you mean by "only one". How many Churches do you need to join at the same time?

#151596 - 03/19/06 03:15 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: man_mind]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

I may, or I may not have a chance to meet Svengali, however, I may, and it won't be because I have a card.

Could you clarify that statement?
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
ďA membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.Ē -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#151597 - 03/19/06 03:23 PM A gesture, with benefits, yes. [Re: Hixem]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Membership is, as many have said here, a gesture. A gesture and a statement of solidarity with the Church of Satan, its philosophy, and also what is actually does (Pentagonal Revisionism and whatnot).

Yes, there are benefits. Being more easily in touch with other people who have made such a gesture, for one. Being more likely to know of things in the pipeline, is another. It's all about communication, and people are more likely to communicate such things to you if there is more evidence to show that you are of a like mind in such regards.

I joined the Church of Satan for both of these reasons. I approve of the Church and am proud to be able to call Myself a member. I also enjoy the benefits of increased contact with other CoS Members.

For you... Decide well.

For Me... obviously, it really doesn't make too much difference how you decide.

#151598 - 03/19/06 04:08 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I joined for the Cadillac (with Baphomet hubcaps), the tap-dancing monkey, and all the chimichungas I can eat.

A little more seriously, my reasons for joining are just that... mine. You should find your own reasons rather than polling everyone for theirs.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#151600 - 03/19/06 04:37 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Quaark]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Actually, I haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite , but I have eaten at the Birthplace of the Chimichunga* in Tucson.

Mind you aren't late for your flogging.

* According to a program I saw on the Travel Channel.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#151601 - 03/19/06 06:38 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Hixem Offline

I get it.

Thank you for time spent responding on a subject I understand is already tired.

(1) Membership is Personal Choice

Each member has made his choice for reasons relevant and important to himself. I donít take the decision lightly. For personal reasons, joining the Church of Satan is more than a mailed membership application. I havenít asked to be convinced to join the Church. Iím not meekly seeking validation of my very personal decision.

I have solicited for the motivation and views of those that post and read here. I havenít asked for direct contact with members. I didnít publicly query the priesthood for a justification of membership. In fact, with purpose I raised the question in the forum where any member or non-member may respond if he wishes.

Quote:

A little more seriously, my reasons for joining are just that... mine. You should find your own reasons rather than polling everyone for theirs.

Respectfully, if you don't choose to share your reasons, as others have been willing to do, then this does nothing to contribute to the dialouge. I see little value in your rebuke that I shouldn't poll others for why they made the important decision to join. This is the appropriate medium for the question, is it not?

(2) Value of Membership

I belong to various professional and political organizations, each with different membership obligations. Maintaining membership in some of these organizations is costly in resources and time. I derive social, financial and business benefits from membership. None of these organizations, though, are the formal body of my religion.

Fortunately, beyond the ability to affiliate with members that share the same world view, I can look forward to a new car, a tap dancing monkey, TexMex food and a beanie. (I really want that beanie!) This is beyond my wildest expectations! I was expecting an email newsletter, a quarterly magazine or maybe disclosure of the secret handshake. Still an outsider, I wondered how deep the Rabbit Hole went.

(3) Physical Stuff

The two tangible parts of the transaction are the most irrelevant. I've never got a membership card when I was baptized in the Methodist Church. I didn't get anything suitable for framing when I changed teams to Presbyterian. When I was ordained by the Universal Life Chruch I only received an automated email response. Church of Satan gives a red membership card. So I naturally wanted to know what the card is used for. Not having one, it seemed a reasonable question.

As for the burden of the $200 one time fee, it's not a case of getting enough stuff for my money. Instead, it's sounds too cheap. It's obviously none of my business how the church maintains a worldwide membership without tithes, solicitation for donations or active recruitment of members. Postage, processing, staffing, leases and production are needed just to accept my application and send me a welcome packet.

My hypothesis was that the price point was just high enough to relieve the administration of the inevitable burden of indifferent trinket-seekers looking for a nice piece of laminated swag to take to show and tell.

(4) Motive

Quote:

it makes me feel good to know that I'm a part of something worthy of respect and admiration.

Quote:

My benefit comes from helping to further the goals of The Church of Satan, which happen to be the goals I hav[e as well.

Quote:

what you get out of it is in accordance with what you put into it.

Quote:

I wanted to throw my lot in with an organization that supports the things I support

Quote:

I came to these boards to communicate with like minded individuals, and this helped me to accomplish that goal.

Quote:

Ask not what the Church can do for you, but what you can do for the Church

Quote:

I wanted to be a part of an organization that I found to be practical and applicable to my lifestyle

Quote:

Why does anyone affiliate with any organization? It is usually because they agree their goals and share their ideals. That is why I joined the CoS.

Quote:

I'm merely saying that life is, or isn't, and a card won't change that. I am who I am, and have always been, and a card won't change that either.

Quote:

I joined because I agreed with everything in The Satanic Bible and wished to give the devil his due. I joined more out of RESPECT for the Church and it's philosophies than anything else.

Quote:

I wouldn't expect any fringe benefits from acquiring a card, the money I paid would be a show of support and thanks for everything the teachings and writings of Anton Lavey has given me in my life.

Quote:

As it has been stated many, many, many, many, many, many times before, membership in any org is simply a matter of throwing your hat into the ring with others of the same ilk.

Quote:

Membership is, as many have said here, a gesture. A gesture and a statement of solidarity with the Church of Satan, its philosophy, and also what is actually does (Pentagonal Revisionism and whatnot).

This is what I learned about why members join Church of Satan. These are uncensored contributions from those who have already answered this question themselves. It sounds like exactly what it is: dedicated members of a religion. This is not a Testimonials page from a polised website. This is not conjecture from a sociology student's term paper. This is the answer from the source.

(5) Practical Satanism

I've read the tenets and philosophy central to the Church and the religion. I apply them in the way that I live. Members themselves will verify that Church of Satan is a body of non-joiners. What leads a culture of individuals who scorn sheeplike following, eschew pointless hierarchy and distrust organized religion join a church? It wasn't the red card. It's more than the result of their enrollment transaction.

Again, I appreciate the time, attention and effort of those that responded to my question. I've learned from it.

Hail Satan!

-Sojournist

#151602 - 03/19/06 10:14 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Hixem]
Leviathan_Rising Offline
CoS Member

All in all, that was a fairly decent conclusion for this thread. I expected much worse.

Quote:

So I naturally wanted to know what the card is used for.

Verification.

Edited by Leviathan_Seeker (03/19/06 10:15 PM)
"Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience." -Einstein

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing. " -Emerson

"The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next." -M. Arnold

Citizen

#151603 - 03/20/06 03:22 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Svengali]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Just using a name a s a reference. After reading your posts on the Spring Break reatrds, your name was stuck in my head.

Further reason for saying this in particular (the action, not the name drop) was because I was attempting to make the point that, people are on earth, (Some in space, some beneath the crust) and eventually, one will run in to the other, especially if views on life are remotely similar.

If two people live in a specific area (Not saying that you live near me) for example, and they both enjoy horror films, then chances are they will both go to the theatre, and they will meet, directly or indirectly.

Membership won't stop these sorts of events from occuring.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#151604 - 03/20/06 03:37 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: man_mind]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Thanks. Excuse the interrogation, I'm mildly paranoid.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
ďA membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.Ē -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#151605 - 03/20/06 04:58 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: Svengali]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Not a problem. I was sort of vague.

#151606 - 03/21/06 12:44 AM Re: A gesture, with benefits, yes. [Re: Linguascelesta]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

Yes, there are benefits.

Something that often goes overlooked are the benefits that one can obtain with or without registration.

Both the Church of Satan website (under Sources), and the book by Magistra Blanche Barton, contain lists of movies and literature, many which one may not stumble upon through their everyday activities.

I have found value in these lists through being further inspired to read and am currently enjoying a fantastic novel. I'm sure many others have experienced the same.

Whilst one may have been Satanist before finding the CoS website, there can be substantial value to one's life through appropriate use of the resources that have been made freely available.

#151608 - 03/21/06 04:39 PM Re: Membership Has Its Privileges [Re: ]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Quote:

This coming summer is proof of the benifits of Membership.

And that is what I was alluding to See ya there!

SETI@Home Team

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405206 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements