Topic Options
#152218 - 03/21/06 07:10 PM Tell me your veiws about poetry
Buffy Offline

Loc: Mackay- Australia
Greetings
Well, I have been posting some of my poetry and I know a lot of it consists of anger, self abuse, and drugs etc. I just want to make it clear I dont condone any of the things I write about. I see it as an emotional outlet and doesn't mean I carry out or intend to carry out any of it's actions.
I know this site does not condone any of the things I write about in poetry, but as poetry as an art and a form of expressionism I would like to know if anyone has any views or input about my sort of poetry and if I should continue to submit them or not.
So please be honest.
Hail Satan!

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.

#152219 - 03/21/06 11:04 PM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Buffy]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
You are fishing for compliments and doing so in a disgustingly thinly-veiled way.

If you sincerely believe that the rhyming excrement you write is poetry, I suggest that you try reading some William Blake or John Milton's Paradise Lost. Perhaps that will show what real poetry looks like.

We are not here to bolster your ego. You are wasting space on the board. Am I being honest enough for you?

#152220 - 03/21/06 11:08 PM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Maya]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

You are fishing for compliments and doing so in a disgustingly thinly-veiled way.

We are not here to bolster your ego. You are wasting space on the board. Am I being honest enough for you?

Wow!

That made me smile from ear to ear!

#152221 - 03/21/06 11:11 PM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: CWH]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

But this was aggressive.

He only asked a question. What's this ?

#152222 - 03/22/06 12:11 AM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Assabrah]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

But this was aggressive.

Yes, you are correct.

And my own answer to his question is no.

No, he should never post his poetry again.

Now, the next question is, will he follow my suggestion?

I will say that I believe that something may have been lost in translation.

I may be wrong, however.

#152223 - 03/22/06 12:24 AM Re: Here's The Lowdown [Re: Buffy]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
From what I have seen I would say you at least have some talent for self expression. More so than many who attempt poetry, at least.

However, you have not yet learned to channel your expression through the art of poetry.

Learn about poetry first.

You can break the rules afterwards. But first it is wise to know exactly what rules you are breaking.

And actually, the term "free verse" is quite deceptive. There is really no such thing. All poems need structure, form, rythm and cadence.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#152224 - 03/22/06 02:18 AM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Assabrah]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

But this was aggressive.

I don't know.

I read Maya's response and it made me smile, I even giggled a little.

#152225 - 03/22/06 02:24 AM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Assabrah]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Quote:

But this was aggressive.

You're right. I'm just a mean little Satanist. I'll go stand in the corner of the forum now.

#152226 - 03/22/06 05:53 AM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Assabrah]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
He invited honesty. He got it.

If someone doesn't want honest opinions, they shouldn't ask for them.

#152227 - 03/22/06 06:06 AM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Buffy]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Being someone who writes poetry myself, from time to time, I view it as probably the weakest and cheapest way for people express themselves in an artistic fashion.

Certainly, there are and have been masters out there who I am in awe of.

That being said, the majority of amatuers who dabble in the art only give poetry a bad name. It takes some amount of talent to sculpt, draw, paint, perform, write a story, but any third grader can make words rhyme. Thus, poetry seems to be the artistic outlet for those who are untalented in other areas of self expression. They put down their inner most feelings on paper, make sure that some of the words rhyme, and use strikingly similar vocabulary as everyone else. To them, the work is gold, and to anyone else who endures it, it's just flat out annoying. And since anyone can write something that qualifies by definition as a poem, the amount of crap that is churned out is enormous, and it discourages one from wading through it in order to find the poetic gems that are out there somewhere.

In my home town, some artists organized to create a free publication where their paintings, writings, and poetry receive an audience. One issue, six of the ten poems published were about someone's eyes.

If you want to take poetry seriously and actually improve, I agree with UVRay. Study the art. Read the masters. Try expressing something that every other depressed high schooler with an unhealthy amount of teenage angst isn't already expressing on the back of their math folder.

#152228 - 03/22/06 07:49 PM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Mason_Rust]
GhostMoth Offline

Quote:

I view it as probably the weakest and cheapest way for people express themselves in an artistic fashion.

...That being said, the majority of amatuers who dabble in the art only give poetry a bad name.

Very true. And online poetry has really depleted the artistic values of poetry. Young writers and people writing out of emotional trauma are mistakenly led to believe that you can call your self-loathing ramblings "poetry" simply because it rhymes or you broke it up into verses.

I like Baudelaire, Poe, Plath, and Dylan Thomas. They were imaginative. I like the subtle poetic storytelling of Bukowski. There's a poetry to understanding the depth and relevance in his often unassuming words.

But there is some more recent work I found very creatively stimulating as a writer myself. The book Versus that Hurt has alot of contemporary and unconventional poets. The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry is a really mixed bag with some good stuff in it. There's Spoken Word which comes with a CD and has other worthy contemporaries like Saul Williams. It's important to appreciate both the original conventions of poetry and more modern takes on it by those who really have a gift for artistic expression with words.

The poetry I hate as much as the non-poetic confessionals you often find online, is the pedantic and unimaginative crap regurgitated by someone who thinks you have to sound like William Blake or Emily Dickinson, replete with "ye's" and "O'er's". It's already been done and doesn't need to be imitated.

A poet should always be creative and strive for their own personal artistic expression.

--Ghost

#152229 - 03/22/06 08:42 PM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Buffy]
melektaus8 Offline

Loc: Michigan.
In my opinion, when people say they write poetry they tend to use the word too freely.

In my introduction I specified that I do not write free verse poetry. This is due to my standards for poetry.

Poetry is an art, and like all arts there are do's and dont's.
If your painting a picture, you don't work your way from the canvas to the floor and wall. You have and understanding of the circumscribing lines in which you work.

I've had an opportunity to view your poetry, and yes, it does reflect self destructive and morbid elements. However, to me poetry is an intimate thing, and serves as a great way to release otherwise counterproductive feelings in a positive and creative way.

In your poem titled "Till Satan Reigns thee Earth" I noticed a strong presence of the heroic couplet (aa,bb,cc and so on).
I know for me that this is one of the poetic structures that comes to me most intuitively, and is quite catchy to readers.

I agree whole heartedly with UV Ray regarding free verse. It holds as a flimsy foundation for something which it could never match up to. Do read about poetry; its history and influence on other forms of the arts.

I would reccoment this book for anyone who is interested:

"The Making of a Poem" by Mark Strand and Evan Boland.
Published by Norton.

Hail Satan!
Mikael D.W.

"Those who are physically and mentally unhealthy and unfit must not perpetuate their sufferings in the bodies of their children. Through educational means the State must teach individuals that illness is not a disgrace but a misfortune for which people are to be pitied, yet at the same time that it is a crime and a disgrace to make this affliction the worse by passing it on to innocent creatures out of a merely egotistic yearning" - Adolf Hitler

http://www.woodharrow.com

#152230 - 03/23/06 12:28 PM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Buffy]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
poetry in itself may be an art form, and oft times a very beautiful one,at that, yet in my personal beliefs i feel it is a window into ones proverbial soul. you write it as an emotional outlet, sure, but are you sure you do not really feel this way or condone those things? look down into yourself, find your true feelings, grab them and just let them flow out of your pen. thats how i write. once i can find where i put it, i am going to post one of my poems. ill just title the post "poem". tell me what you think.

#152231 - 03/23/06 01:20 PM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Buffy]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Outside of William Shakespear, Edgar A. Poe, Percy Bysshe Shelly and the occasional Edo period Haikai, reading or listening to poetry is like chewing glass. Please do not contribute to the growing pile of excrement clogging up the public libraries of the world. Thank you.

#152232 - 03/23/06 09:55 PM Re: Tell me your veiws about poetry [Re: Mr_Atrox]
Buffy Offline

Loc: Mackay- Australia
Well thanks for the honesty, as i wouldn't expect anything less.
But there is one thing I'd like you to know. That is I am infact a female. Not a "He".

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43882 Topics
404448 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements