Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#153988 - 03/31/06 04:54 PM Re: pipedreams ? Yes > pipedreams. [Re: Assabrah]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You are precisely correct.

There would be an easy way to instantly improve the average quality of LttD users: simply make the entire forum "members only." We'd be rid of 99% of the morons, because 99% of said morons are nonmembers. The handful of others could simply be dealt with swiftly and we'd be on our merry way.

But, that's not what those who run this forum have in mind. The fact is that to find a single diamond you must move a great deal of dirt. Nobody is required to dive in with the miners to roll in the dirt if they don't want to! Even the miners themselves do not have to wallow in it, only get it out of the way to find the precious gem within.

The fact that many will complain that it is done this way, when they themselves greatly benefit from this very process, is bizarre. How many of those who complain are themselves not members, or were not members and yet used this forum for some time before becoming members? How many have found wonderful gems despite sifting through many handfuls of dirt? To say, "I have wasted my precious time sifting that dirt to find the gem, when I could have scooped up gems by the handful, precut, straight from the earth!" is no more foolish than to think that nuggets of wisdom will be found without effort, laid out by some mysterious benefactor for them to harvest.

Such things are indeed pipedreams. No omnipotent god is laying jewels at your feet, and no trick of magic is going to change the fact that to find things worth reading, on this forum or anywhere else, you must be willing to invest your time in finding them. The same is true of the people who use this forum, we cannot possibly locate those whose company is appreciated, those who contribute, without the opportunity to select them from the weeds that spring up alongside them.

The moderators and administrators generously make this easier for everyone by eliminating the very worst so that your own effort may be spared in some degree. They shovel the dirt, you still get the gems.

I am pleased that some understand this. Mr. Assabrah himself is to be commended not only for pointing this out, but for bringing what he has to the table.

To those who complain: you do not have to enjoy the way in which valuable things are found, but it is no use complaining that your jewels had to be dug up!

#153989 - 03/31/06 05:45 PM Re: pipedreams ? Yes > pipedreams. [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Here here!

Mr. Assabrah and Mr. LeviathanXIII, some very good points and
excellent writing indeed; proof within what you have written that
one only need to get their hands dirty to find the gems!

Thanks for taking the time to make your points.

#153990 - 03/31/06 06:14 PM Re: come on..... [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Wolf Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:

I am getting too old, thatís what it is. I no longer have patients for this type of thing and allow myself to think of things that should be common knowledge. I need to stop thinking perhaps, then it wouldn't bother me.

You know what? The older I get, the easier I find it to deal with these things. It's not that my expectations or hopes have vanished; in my world, people take care of how they express & behave themselves, seek knowledge instead of "passtimes", read books, create things. MY world, therefore, is a careful selection of people and material worthwhile. That's where I go after work and in my breaks, at night, in the weekends. That's where I go in my dreams.

The innumerous amount of morons out there surely is something to deal with everywhere and everyday, but like I skip most of the TV-channels available, and avoid serious contact with the utmost emptieheadests, I skip posts when kits insist on ignoring every spelling-rule or write out in screamin unreadable red or allcaps, use the "ignore user" button for really emptyheaded self-repeating mindless ones, and enjoy the modskills of an excellent staff around here. But I do not get irritated no more - I conclude that certain herdfolks simply want to present themselves as emptyheaded sheep not even worth the effort of taking wool from. Always have been there, always will be there.

Yet over the years I have become more and more amused by this kind of humans. I have no way become milder and do not seek their company, but as you rightly say, contact and even interaction is unavoidable. Well now, on the internet we have far more possibilities to cut that off rightaway, but in offline space this kind of "rudeness" may get you in annoying trouble; these are the people that serve us in many situations, from supermarkets to working areas. I have learned to play with them as if on stage in some silly theatre farce, where my lines are comfortably limited to reactions like "No! Really??!!". That's all they need for respons and they will tell you the most amazing things about what their worlds are made of, which in many cases is so absurd that all you can do is laugh, laugh, and laugh even more. It's all one big amusing stage. And since laughing is very good for the health, these people somehow benefit me.

But I know that after watching, I will retreat to my own world, where things are different. The occasional lost sheep I encounter there still, does not bother me. There's no need for interaction here so I skip 'em.

#153991 - 03/31/06 07:42 PM Re: come on..... [Re: Wolf]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
I donít really get breaks from my work, my job doesnít run on an eight hour clock, and I rarely sleep so that Iím afraid doesnít work out to well either. But I understand your sentiments and it is good to hear that some people have no trouble avoiding this type of thing.

I am never rude to people unless they deserve it and I always try to make exceptions for those who are less educated then I am. I use to be amused by the antics of people who do their hardest to look and sound foolish, but not often now days. I can even understand it to an extent, and everyone makes mistakes once in a while that is to be expected but for the most part it is beyond my comprehension why so many people want others to think that they are illiterate or worse.

It all breaks down to tolerance I suppose, what you are willing to tolerate and what you are not. Everyone has something that bugs them to no end. My short fuse gets the better of me from time to time.

#153992 - 03/31/06 08:05 PM Re: come on..... [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Mile_Highlander Offline

Quote:

and I always try to make exceptions for those who are less educated then I am.

Uhhh..... Thank you, I guess???

#153993 - 03/31/06 08:44 PM Re: I know, here she goes again! [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Magister_Harris Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
Call it lack of civility, lack of consideratiom, or lack of intelligence. I call it stratification. Their inability to follow simple rules shows me that they're not worth anyone's time.
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

#153994 - 04/01/06 01:44 PM Re: come on..... [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Baghashiro Offline

Loc: Germany
If there were no idiots, there was no elite. So, every stupid moron out there may be regarded as a proof of how high Oneself is standing at the top of the food-chain.
And besides, any ridiculous comment might produce some kind of valuable emotional energy you can use for yourself. For free.

And compared to most forums on the net, the moron quote here is relatively low, isn't it?

shemhamforash!

#153995 - 04/01/06 11:32 PM Re: come on..... [Re: Baghashiro]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

And compared to most forums on the net, the moron quote[sic] here is relatively low, isn't it?

shemhamforash!

Thanks to the swift weeding out that our moderators do, mostly.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#153996 - 04/02/06 03:21 AM Re: come on..... [Re: dragondancer]
Baghashiro Offline

Loc: Germany
Indeed. And as I see, quote is the wrong word in english, right? What I meant was "percentage".

Shemhamforash!

#153997 - 04/02/06 09:24 AM Blackenings [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
I haven't read anyone elses posts here. Posts like this, I like to answer under my own steam--as it were. I don't think you're bitching here. I think you are speaking the thoughts of many others. There are probably not as many names turning black as I'd like to see, however, I think it's pretty close. Plus, I think sometimes those who would be banned are having interactions with others, that are bringing out behavior in others, that readers or moderators might enjoy watching the outcome of. For the most part, I concur with your post--especially after repeated warnings.

#153998 - 04/03/06 02:42 PM Re: come on..... [Re: Baghashiro]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Yes, percentage would work fine in the sentence. I appreciate your effort to use the English language correctly. If I were speaking German I assure you, you would be correcting me constantly.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#153999 - 04/03/06 09:33 PM I feel grtatitude actually. [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
No need to read two posts when one botched introduction says so much!

#154000 - 04/04/06 01:30 AM Re: come on..... [Re: Baghashiro]
Csongor Offline

Loc: Hungary
Quote:

If there were no idiots, there was no elite.

I know about me that I am elite. I hate idiots, and I do not need them. If there was only elite, it would be discoverable, because the Earth would be a much better place.

#154001 - 04/04/06 09:20 AM Re: I know, here she goes again! [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
No, you are not really bitching as much as making a valid point that many have probably felt but did not comment on. As for myself, you have, in a way, opened my own eyes as I am making the extra little effort not to just print everything in lower cases now.

#154002 - 04/04/06 10:30 AM Re: come on..... [Re: Csongor]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Exactly.

Italian food is still delicious, even when there's no such thing as McDonalds.

Also, to be "elite" can imply many things, and there can be many hierarchies within that one label.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405796 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements