Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#159751 - 04/29/06 09:25 AM Xian relations
MaliciousSeraph Offline

When I was alot younger I remember going to a forum call 'Satanist.Net'. They were not affiliated with the CoS and most of what they promoted was very bad. I think they eventually got shut down b/c so many people complained (not nessecarily users).
Anyways while I was there, there was a thread made about our reletionship with xians. The man that made the thread was married to one and asked if anyone had done the same. I was very shocked at the number of people who said they had xian GF/BF's, or who were even engaged and married to them.
Yes, they all had kept it a secret from there significant other. One guy even said he was just holding TSB for a freind. I was wondering if any of you are involved with xians or have been? If so, explain why you think that it may work out for the better.

Edited by MaliciousSeraph (04/30/06 11:36 AM)

#159752 - 04/29/06 10:04 AM Re: Xian reletions [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
The girl I was with last night claimed to come from a very devout catholic upbringing, but I have never tried to marry one. For one thing, there is a good chance that they would want toget married in a church, and I will never go to a church for anything. I am also too young to get married. everyone I know that IS married say that I am wise to put it off until later in life because I am still young and have too much of my life to enjoy before getting tied down with that kind of responsibility. I agree with them.

#159753 - 04/29/06 10:11 AM Re: Xian reletions [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
sCara Offline

This has been covered before. The search feature will bring up many a reply - in the case of people not wanting to repeat themselves.

My take, short and sweet: I would not marry a man that was not a Satanist.

#159754 - 04/29/06 10:23 AM Re: Xian reletions [Re: sCara]
MaliciousSeraph Offline

Quote:

My take, short and sweet: I would not marry a man that was not a Satanist.

What about you ascendacy, could you marry someone who is not a satanist?

#159755 - 04/29/06 11:30 AM Re: Xian reletions [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
Adversary Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
If Satanists only dated or married other Satanists, then there would be many lonely Satanists. Seriously, I bet there are many here that have never met other Satanists outside the internet. That's an advantage of not being a martyr.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him." - Sun Tzu "Morality is a human invention conferred by the self-serving interests of the sensually impoverished" - Anton Szandor LaVey

#159756 - 04/29/06 11:52 AM Re: Xian reletions [Re: Adversary]
MaliciousSeraph Offline

Quote:

If Satanists only dated or married other Satanists, then there would be many lonely Satanists.

Agreed, but I think that most satanists become involved with athiests, not xians. Or so I thought, in fact I think I will make this a poll.
Have you have been involved with a xian
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 04/29/06 11:51 AM
View the results of this poll.

#159757 - 04/29/06 12:07 PM Re: Xian reletions[sic] [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Quote:

When I was alot younger I remember going to a forum call 'Satanist.Net'. They were not affiliated with the CoS and most of what they promoted was very bad. I think they eventually got shut down b/c so many people complained (not nessecarily users).
Anyways while I was there, there was a thread made about our reletionship with xians. The man that made the thread was married to one and asked if anyone had done the same. I was very shocked at the number of people who said they had xian GF/BF's, or who were even engaged and married to them.
Yes, they all had kept it a secret from there significant other. One guy even said he was just holding TSB for a freind. I was wondering if any of you are involved with xians or have been? If so, explain why you think that it may work out for the better.

"After college I plan to join the FBI"

#159758 - 04/29/06 12:07 PM Re: Xian reletions [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

There is a direct correlation between compatibility, and long term success for relationships. If your intent is to have a short fling then it really doesnít matter much. If youíre looking for something more long term, then itís more important to find a partner that is compatible with you. Only you can decide what that is, and if your partner being xian would interfere with your enjoyment of the relationship.

My wife is not a xian. I do not think a relationship would prove to be successful for me in the long term, if my significant other's beliefs so contradicted mine. My wife is not a Satanist, although she exhibits many of the qualities one would expect to find in one. Her views, while not mirroring completely, are definitely compatible with mine.

The Temple | The Elite

#159759 - 04/29/06 12:10 PM Re: Xian reletions[sic] [Re: RandomStranger]
MaliciousSeraph Offline

I really don't want to start this again.

#159760 - 04/29/06 12:23 PM Re: Xian reletions [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I also would only consider a serious relationship with a Satanist; I've had more than one such relationship, and I did not consider such relationships immeasurably difficult to find.

I've said this before, but any Satanist who would marry, much less have children with, a theist is asking for trouble. I will allow that some Satanists can find a perfectly suitable mate in an atheist, but marrying someone who honestly believes in a deity? I'd feel like I was marrying a retard.

Also, we are more open to legal discrimination than perhaps any religion in America; there are no advocacy groups to cover our backs. If you have children with a theist and it doesn't work out (and really, is it likely to work out?), guess who will never get custody in a million years...

#159762 - 04/29/06 01:36 PM Re: Xian reletions [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I agree with Warlock Leviathan; compatibility is everything.

However, the expectation that Satanists only date Satanists is absurd.

Limiting compatibility to a religious context is rather self-defeating in my opinion.

Frankly, I'm sure that a few Satanists put more stock in other aspects of a relationship, if you get my meaning.

Only you can determine what you value in a relationship, but one thing is certain, not every Satanist is going to consider the things you value valuable.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#159763 - 04/29/06 03:03 PM Re: Xian reletions [Re: Poetaster]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I'll generally concur with the three previous posts.

I will say that I at least could date a theist, depending on the nature of their theism. If someone considers god to be more-or-less absent from the picture (deism or the like); an entity or force that holds together time and space; or an entity or force that directs and enlivens the flows of nature, creation, and destruction, then such theism may in fact be generally benign in theory. (Of course, in practice, it may be another matter.)

Incidentally, for me, I'd tend to think that dating a theist would be problematic not simply because they believe in a big person (or collection of persons) in the sky, but more because of the moral and personal worldview that usually goes along with that belief. I tend not to date theists because they typically have a childishly naive, goody-two-shoes view of the world, society, and justice. Also, many theists have a strong external locus of control, meaning, they don't believe in their ability to influence their circumstances, and I'd be annoyed with someone like that.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#159764 - 04/29/06 03:32 PM Re: Xian reletions [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
When starting a relationship, it is absolutely essential that everyone involved have some common ground in their basic values. Because of the differences in the very nature of the religions, this can create conflict. However, I wouldn't say it's entirely impossible.

A few years ago I would have thought otherwise, but having met at least one Satanist who carried on a relationship with a Catholic for a few years has changed my view a bit. They built their relationship around their shared interests and made an agreement not to get onto the subject of religion. They stuck to this agreement, and even managed to remain friends until about a year after they broke up.

The key thing is that neither one had any illusions about what they were in the relationship for. They knew there were no wedding bells in their future and they were free to take things one day at a time.

At the same time I realize that such a relationship would not be for me. I enjoy discussing religion way too much.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#159765 - 04/29/06 03:36 PM Re: Xian reletions [Re: MaliciousSeraph]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

I will not marry or get into a serious relationship with anyone who is below me. Anyone I would share the rest of my life with must be elite.

I think that if you want another elite individual that you would be compatible with to come into your life strongly enough, then you CAN create that reality.

Just dating someone who is a theist is fine if they are fun, and when you get tired of them, youíre free to go. When I date people who are theists, I USUALLY like things a bit more on the platonic side (meaning that kissing is the farthest I like to go with most theists) and I don't date them very long.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#159766 - 04/29/06 04:02 PM Re: Xian reletions [Re: Virus9]
DarkWater Offline
CoS Member

Loc: SinCity
Quote:

At the same time I realize that such a relationship would not be for me. I enjoy discussing religion way too much.

Me too. Satanism pulses though all my thoughts, all my actions. I doubt that a Christian, and probably not many theists of any flavor, could be committed to a Satanist unreserved in speech and deed (within the relationship). Even if this were false, I would not be able to stomach their thoughts and ways. I have a low tolerance for the childish, for the emotionally unstable, for the intellectually crippled, for those high on spiritual pipedreams. Neither money nor great sex can keep me in a relationship with such a creature.

This perspective, of course, is not universal among Satanists. But it is my position, one that I will not personally compromise.

DarkWater

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405808 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements