Topic Options
#160288 - 05/01/06 10:42 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Quiddity]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

What the hell??

Where did you get that pic?

#160289 - 05/01/06 10:55 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Exx Offline

Well, I never really had a problem with superstitions. My grandmother believed in a lot of them (or at least she followed them out of habit) and she would enforce them on me too when I was younger, my favorite being "Don't rock a rocking chair when there's no one sitting it it!" And to me the impact of superstition on a young mind is a positive one.

By seeing adults believing in something that could only be described as "magical" to the young mind, it helps children realize that it is alright to believe in magic too..

And...WOW! That pic is crazy, that's either some damn nice photoshopping or a really bizarre accident ..I love it

Edited by Exx (05/01/06 10:56 PM)

#160290 - 05/01/06 11:04 PM Bastard fish! [Re: CWH]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
A passerby happened to have his camera at the ready when the sky opened, and this bastard fish fell out the fucking sky and smashed into my roof!

I tried calling animal control, and they just laughed!

I swear, I'm moving away from the damned ocean if this ever happens again.

It sure goes to show you can never predict the weather!

#160291 - 05/01/06 11:42 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
When I was younger I had to crack all my toes before bed, or else I would die. Turned out to be OCD.

#160292 - 05/02/06 12:46 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Quiddity]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Okay, I really didn't see that one coming!

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#160293 - 05/02/06 07:58 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
I have always had a fascination for gemstones, my particular favourites being lapis lazuli, malachite and obsidian. While researching obsidian, I came across this interesting little superstition. If you keep a piece of obsidian in your purse, you will never be short of money. I could not find any suggested origins for this superstition.

Translation: "purse" in Britain is the small container for coins and currency notes; the large container that holds makeup, phone and everything else is called "handbag". (By the way, what do you call the coin container?)

Having just been reminded about this superstition, I checked to see if the little piece of snowflake obsidian which has been secreted in a small compartment in my purse for at least 20 years was still there; it is. Well, it has worked. On maybe there were other reasons …

I would be very interested if anyone could suggest a reason for this superstition. When you look at it unemotionally, quite a few superstitions are commonsense though others are ridiculous, and I wonder into which category the obsidian falls.
Hail Satan!
Magda

#160294 - 05/02/06 08:19 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
AlricTarrant Offline

Loc: The Empire State
One superstition that I do not personally have but which many people do (and that annoys the hell out of me ) is a belief in astrology. People will be relatively rational and anti-mystical but turn around and talk about your "sign" as if it explains everything. I suppose there is some way to make astrology harmless and fun but in order to do so you can't actually believe in it and a lot of people do. Few things are as annoying as hearing someone say "Oh thats because you're a <insert astrology sign here>" when you reveal a personality trait. Come on now!

So maybe that doesn't entirely fit the topic but its related.

A.T.
"It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” -The Good Doctor "And for all the good or evil, creation or destruction, that your living might have accomplished, you might just as well never have lived at all. "

#160295 - 05/02/06 08:46 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: AlricTarrant]
man_mind Offline
Banned

A simple look into history tells you where Astrology came from. The Greeks!

They devised all sorts of systems and calculable gadgets. Astrology at that time, was invented to make the commoner feel special. Getting TWO loaves of bread was just a goddamned miracle, until.....Astrology!

As opposed to the beggar finding a loaf, and then praising the empty sky with a hint of skepticism, he now had something that was a sort of verification! A ticket to the know how of this appearence/miracle.

Ho. Dear Cancer. You have a big future ahead of you! Today something IS going to happen! The day looks great, and if all else fails, you will be alive in the next day!

They always had a way to make a fail safe, just incase something didn't turn out right!

If the beggar had 2 pennies, and he read the astrology that said he would be coming into money; he laughs, shrugs it off, then suddenly he finds a penny, and finds himself counting the other two, assuming of course he can count; he just came in to money!

Silly shit. I hate astrology! I smite those that ask me my "sign".

I hate my sign in particular to all of the others. Gemini. (Although, these symbols do aid in birthday rituals and the like)

Literally, I get 10-15 dumb ass people a day that tell me that I am who I am, because I'm a Gemini. "Ohhh, you're an artist? AND a moral terrorist? That's because you have two different personalities! You're a Gemini!"

No shit Sherlock. Two totally different...! WOW.

I have a lot more than two! Personality equates pebbles.

At the very least, it is amusing to watch passionate, dedicated people spend their entire lives believing this bunk, even to the point of selling out their parents house, and sending them to Old Fogey Village, so they can open up their astrology store.

All the time, the answer was right there if they cared to look at it. I guess these superstions all boil down to one thing (for most people), it is a requirement for them to have to have something to believe in. God, the stars, fruit rollups, or David Koresh. (Sp?)

Edited by man_mind (05/02/06 08:49 AM)

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#160296 - 05/02/06 10:42 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Oh, that's neat, priestess. Obsidian is a beautiful stone. I'm fond of opals and malachite, myself.

Mostly, my superstitious behavior amounts to finding lucky pennies, counting the unusual-but-positive coincidences that pop up in a day, finding four-leaf clovers, seeing a rainbow, collecting items that have a special "energy" or "vibe" about them that I like, etc.

And, since I'm a Satanist, I like to reverse a lot of superstitions so that they produce good luck instead of bad luck. If I see a black cat, it's a good thing. Friday the 13th is a lucky day.

The broken mirror is still unlucky, because you could step on broken glass.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#160297 - 05/02/06 10:51 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: man_mind]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
As a taurean I often get the "no wonder you're so stubborn !" from people if the subject of astrology rears its ugly head.

No I'm stubborn because I KNOW I'm right and you're wrong about a great many things, gitface !

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#160298 - 05/02/06 11:29 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

I was surprised to see that you reverse the usual view by regarding black cats as lucky. In Britain they are generally regarded as one of the commonest good luck symbols, as depicted on many "good luck" greeting cards.

Two countries separated by a common language, as I have of course remarked before! By the way, what do you call a coin container? The thing that holds your money, which you keep inside your purse which we call handbag. I thought I could speak American, but have suddenly realised that this is one word that I do not know.

Yes I like opals too.
Hail Satan!
Magda

#160299 - 05/02/06 11:35 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>By the way, what do you call a coin container? The thing
>>that holds your money, which you keep inside your purse
>>which we call handbag.

A "coin purse". Go figure.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#160300 - 05/02/06 11:37 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Well put.

This also travels in to another realm of ignorance. Such me being arrogant, etc. Same outcome there.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#160301 - 05/02/06 11:38 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Thank you! Sounds logical.

HS
M

#160302 - 05/02/06 01:28 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Unless they're trying to attack me or they're going to give me an illness, most animals are lucky .

That's interesting that Brits find black cats lucky, whereas Americans do not. I wonder how that got started.

Hmm. I've heard the coin container called a coin purse by most people. Or, could it be called a clutch purse, or is that something else?

I usually carry most coins in my pockets, and I call my purse a "bag," or sometimes my "pack," but I think that's just me. What I carry around with me is more of a mini-backpack than a real purse--it's better for my back and shoulders, it's harder to steal from me ideally, and I don't have to keep adjusting it or fiddling with it, because it doesn't fall off my shoulders like a usual purse. So, I may not be the one to ask when it comes to lady accessories .

Looks kinda like this:

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements