Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#160273 - 05/01/06 07:07 AM Satanic Superstition ?
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
I have begun to realise recently that I have picked up my grandmothers habit of being a slave to stupid, completely illogical and unrational superstition.
My daughter brought her umbrella still open into the house a few days ago and I grabbed it, closed it down and said "that's bad luck honey bee", she replied in typical four and half year old fashion "why ?" , I couldn't give her an answer ! My daughter has now started a campaign to try and replicate every superstition I know in order to get the desired reaction.
Shoes on tables, knives and forks crossing on dining tables, tossing coins indoors, spilling salt then throwing some over my shoulder, all bullplop, all completely irrational.
My daughters rationality have meant I am now making a conscious effort to eradicate all these ridiculous practices one by one.

Does anyone else have any stupid superstitions blighting their lives ?

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#160274 - 05/01/06 07:19 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Some superstitions have a practical reason behind them. I'd rather not put my shoes on a surface where people put food & utensils that will go in their mouths. Umbrellas are more likely to be damaged when carried open indoors, and are more likely to scratch or poke someone. And I don't walk under ladders because of what might fall from the top of them!

Otherwise your superstitions sound pretty harmless to me; I'm having a hard time seeing why they'd be a "blight" -- unless you took them seriously....

#160275 - 05/01/06 08:13 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
Quote:

No.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#160276 - 05/01/06 10:00 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
man_mind Offline
Banned

No. I've never found a need to believe such nonsense.

Someone did tell me once (Well, a lot of people say a lot, but has very little meaning) that "if a bee comes near you, just say butter, over and over, and it will go away."

When the chance presented itself, a Bee came along. This person recited their silly incantation, and got stung. They could not figure out why it just didn't work.

I asked plainly, "Are you afraid of the bee?"

The answer was yes. Deathly afraid of Bee's to the point that logic resides in the buttocks.

I informed them that Bee's, like any other animals (Most) can smell your fear. Now, I'm not sure if they literally smell your fear, or if that is just a metaphor for "getting that feeling on the back of your neck when your being stared at."

In other words, emotional discharge.

Wives tales and superstitous beliefs usually stem from fear, idiocy, misunderstanding, or just plain retardation.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#160277 - 05/01/06 10:28 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
I've never been superstitious.

When I was a child, I did what your daughter is now doing. I intentionally did everything I was not supposed to do in the way of superstition, to prove to my mother that her beliefs were silly. This including whistling at night (said to attract evil spirits), opening umbrellas indoors, walking under ladders, etc.

She especially hated the fact that, as a young teen, I used the local cemetery as a reading spot--thinking I'd bring home the spirits of the dead (it was quiet there, which made for good reading).

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#160278 - 05/01/06 10:47 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
AlricTarrant Offline

Loc: The Empire State
I really hate stepping on cracks in sidewalks. I guess its not a superstition in the sense that I think something bad will happen but I'd rather not step on cracks than step on them for no rational reason whatsoever. I can't say it bothers me that much anymore but it used to.
"It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” -The Good Doctor "And for all the good or evil, creation or destruction, that your living might have accomplished, you might just as well never have lived at all. "

#160279 - 05/01/06 11:01 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
PWG Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: MI
I give no weight to mindless supersitions at all. As reprobate pointed out, there may be some common sense reasons for these old-wives tales to exist, but not some cosmic "boogeyman gonna git you" nonsense.

I think that the superstition has been replaced in modern culture by the "urban legend." Try as I might to avoid these, sooner or later a co-worker will send a mass e-mail, or post it on a bulletin board, or it will come up in a conversation. But, such is the curse of interacting with the "herd."

The most entertaining part of the whole thing is when you challenge them on the fallacy of their subject. They will continue to defend (sometimes with great passion) their erroneous position.

Hmmm, I seem to recall some clever fellow that equated popular lies with cancers, but I can't quite remember his name......

#160280 - 05/01/06 11:48 AM I am the 3-fold law. [Re: reprobate]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
Hey, reprobate, do you think maybe some of these superstitions came about out of a sort of exasperated retaliation against people's stupidity. I can imagine a person working on a ladder, and along comes some mindless ass--walking under it, and then being stupid enough to say "Why not?" when asked not to.

I can imagine a reply going something like "Because I love lime Jello, and Jesus won't love you anymore if you do, you stupid bastard."

In some situations, if a person has to ask, they don't deserve to know.

Of course, this doesn't really work either, since the one working on the ladder is the one being put in danger. This makes me think the answer may be as cynical as this, but intended the other direction. I think this is more likely, considering that if the asshole walking under the ladder knocks me off of it, no superstition is necessary. I personally guarantee his bad luck, and that it will last a long time--assuming he does.

#160281 - 05/01/06 12:35 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>Does anyone else have any stupid superstitions
>>blighting their lives ?

I catch myself doing little things like this from time to time. I can't think of any instances where it becomes self-defeating for me, though. I see it as a mix of liking whimsical things that enrich life (in a Douglas Adams kind of way), and my own natural liking of ritualism.

It seems strange that the 21st century there are still so many who place validity in these things or hope in a lucky charm, but there are good reasons why. For one thing, our species seems to be hard-wired for pattern seeking. One book that went into good detail on the subject was Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things. I think there's a lot to be said on the subject from a Satanic point of view, especially when it comes to the ritual chamber.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#160282 - 05/01/06 01:38 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: reprobate]
Kewpster Offline

Loc: Texas
You certainly don't want to walk under a ladder that I'm on. There's no telling what I might drop, whether accidental or not.

#160283 - 05/01/06 02:08 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Mile_Highlander Offline

I'm sure most of us have something, whether or not we are conscious of it.

#160284 - 05/01/06 04:33 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Do I have superstitions? Sure.

And they're all voluntary.

Such as: I pick my feet up when crossing railroad tracks, at the same time I create a little jingle while doing it; it's fun, so who cares?

I also enjoy picking up pennies when they're face-up, then again, I like picking them up when they're face-down too, but the ones that are face-up make me feel all tingly inside.

Is there any substance to these little childhood delights? Of course not, but they're childhood delights that I remember fondly and continue to replicate in an attempt to create a momentary feeling of nostalgia.

Do I give them a second thought once I've finished the mini-ritual?

Why would I? Nobody's watching anyway.

"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#160285 - 05/01/06 07:05 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Poetaster]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Yeah, now that I consider the question, I have a couple of superstitions, but they're usually for fun, and I just do them for fun. It adds a little extra magic to the day.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#160286 - 05/01/06 09:16 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

I have a superstition. I believe rubbing myself in sardines and swimming in shark infected waters brings bad luck...

#160287 - 05/01/06 10:08 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Old_Pig]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have a superstition. I believe rubbing myself in sardines and swimming in shark infected waters brings bad luck...

I thought maybe I could get away with doing it in the privacy of my bathroom. Fuck!

#160288 - 05/01/06 10:42 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Quiddity]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

What the hell??

Where did you get that pic?

#160289 - 05/01/06 10:55 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Exx Offline

Well, I never really had a problem with superstitions. My grandmother believed in a lot of them (or at least she followed them out of habit) and she would enforce them on me too when I was younger, my favorite being "Don't rock a rocking chair when there's no one sitting it it!" And to me the impact of superstition on a young mind is a positive one.

By seeing adults believing in something that could only be described as "magical" to the young mind, it helps children realize that it is alright to believe in magic too..

And...WOW! That pic is crazy, that's either some damn nice photoshopping or a really bizarre accident ..I love it

Edited by Exx (05/01/06 10:56 PM)

#160290 - 05/01/06 11:04 PM Bastard fish! [Re: CWH]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

A passerby happened to have his camera at the ready when the sky opened, and this bastard fish fell out the fucking sky and smashed into my roof!

I tried calling animal control, and they just laughed!

I swear, I'm moving away from the damned ocean if this ever happens again.

It sure goes to show you can never predict the weather!

#160291 - 05/01/06 11:42 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
When I was younger I had to crack all my toes before bed, or else I would die. Turned out to be OCD.

#160292 - 05/02/06 12:46 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Quiddity]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Okay, I really didn't see that one coming!

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#160293 - 05/02/06 07:58 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
I have always had a fascination for gemstones, my particular favourites being lapis lazuli, malachite and obsidian. While researching obsidian, I came across this interesting little superstition. If you keep a piece of obsidian in your purse, you will never be short of money. I could not find any suggested origins for this superstition.

Translation: "purse" in Britain is the small container for coins and currency notes; the large container that holds makeup, phone and everything else is called "handbag". (By the way, what do you call the coin container?)

Having just been reminded about this superstition, I checked to see if the little piece of snowflake obsidian which has been secreted in a small compartment in my purse for at least 20 years was still there; it is. Well, it has worked. On maybe there were other reasons …

I would be very interested if anyone could suggest a reason for this superstition. When you look at it unemotionally, quite a few superstitions are commonsense though others are ridiculous, and I wonder into which category the obsidian falls.
Hail Satan!
Magda

#160294 - 05/02/06 08:19 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
AlricTarrant Offline

Loc: The Empire State
One superstition that I do not personally have but which many people do (and that annoys the hell out of me ) is a belief in astrology. People will be relatively rational and anti-mystical but turn around and talk about your "sign" as if it explains everything. I suppose there is some way to make astrology harmless and fun but in order to do so you can't actually believe in it and a lot of people do. Few things are as annoying as hearing someone say "Oh thats because you're a <insert astrology sign here>" when you reveal a personality trait. Come on now!

So maybe that doesn't entirely fit the topic but its related.

A.T.
"It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” -The Good Doctor "And for all the good or evil, creation or destruction, that your living might have accomplished, you might just as well never have lived at all. "

#160295 - 05/02/06 08:46 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: AlricTarrant]
man_mind Offline
Banned

A simple look into history tells you where Astrology came from. The Greeks!

They devised all sorts of systems and calculable gadgets. Astrology at that time, was invented to make the commoner feel special. Getting TWO loaves of bread was just a goddamned miracle, until.....Astrology!

As opposed to the beggar finding a loaf, and then praising the empty sky with a hint of skepticism, he now had something that was a sort of verification! A ticket to the know how of this appearence/miracle.

Ho. Dear Cancer. You have a big future ahead of you! Today something IS going to happen! The day looks great, and if all else fails, you will be alive in the next day!

They always had a way to make a fail safe, just incase something didn't turn out right!

If the beggar had 2 pennies, and he read the astrology that said he would be coming into money; he laughs, shrugs it off, then suddenly he finds a penny, and finds himself counting the other two, assuming of course he can count; he just came in to money!

Silly shit. I hate astrology! I smite those that ask me my "sign".

I hate my sign in particular to all of the others. Gemini. (Although, these symbols do aid in birthday rituals and the like)

Literally, I get 10-15 dumb ass people a day that tell me that I am who I am, because I'm a Gemini. "Ohhh, you're an artist? AND a moral terrorist? That's because you have two different personalities! You're a Gemini!"

No shit Sherlock. Two totally different...! WOW.

I have a lot more than two! Personality equates pebbles.

At the very least, it is amusing to watch passionate, dedicated people spend their entire lives believing this bunk, even to the point of selling out their parents house, and sending them to Old Fogey Village, so they can open up their astrology store.

All the time, the answer was right there if they cared to look at it. I guess these superstions all boil down to one thing (for most people), it is a requirement for them to have to have something to believe in. God, the stars, fruit rollups, or David Koresh. (Sp?)

Edited by man_mind (05/02/06 08:49 AM)

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#160296 - 05/02/06 10:42 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Oh, that's neat, priestess. Obsidian is a beautiful stone. I'm fond of opals and malachite, myself.

Mostly, my superstitious behavior amounts to finding lucky pennies, counting the unusual-but-positive coincidences that pop up in a day, finding four-leaf clovers, seeing a rainbow, collecting items that have a special "energy" or "vibe" about them that I like, etc.

And, since I'm a Satanist, I like to reverse a lot of superstitions so that they produce good luck instead of bad luck. If I see a black cat, it's a good thing. Friday the 13th is a lucky day.

The broken mirror is still unlucky, because you could step on broken glass.

#160297 - 05/02/06 10:51 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: man_mind]
ElJago Offline

As a taurean I often get the "no wonder you're so stubborn !" from people if the subject of astrology rears its ugly head.

No I'm stubborn because I KNOW I'm right and you're wrong about a great many things, gitface !

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#160298 - 05/02/06 11:29 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

I was surprised to see that you reverse the usual view by regarding black cats as lucky. In Britain they are generally regarded as one of the commonest good luck symbols, as depicted on many "good luck" greeting cards.

Two countries separated by a common language, as I have of course remarked before! By the way, what do you call a coin container? The thing that holds your money, which you keep inside your purse which we call handbag. I thought I could speak American, but have suddenly realised that this is one word that I do not know.

Yes I like opals too.
Hail Satan!
Magda

#160299 - 05/02/06 11:35 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>By the way, what do you call a coin container? The thing
>>that holds your money, which you keep inside your purse
>>which we call handbag.

A "coin purse". Go figure.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#160300 - 05/02/06 11:37 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Well put.

This also travels in to another realm of ignorance. Such me being arrogant, etc. Same outcome there.

#160301 - 05/02/06 11:38 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Thank you! Sounds logical.

HS
M

#160302 - 05/02/06 01:28 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Unless they're trying to attack me or they're going to give me an illness, most animals are lucky .

That's interesting that Brits find black cats lucky, whereas Americans do not. I wonder how that got started.

Hmm. I've heard the coin container called a coin purse by most people. Or, could it be called a clutch purse, or is that something else?

I usually carry most coins in my pockets, and I call my purse a "bag," or sometimes my "pack," but I think that's just me. What I carry around with me is more of a mini-backpack than a real purse--it's better for my back and shoulders, it's harder to steal from me ideally, and I don't have to keep adjusting it or fiddling with it, because it doesn't fall off my shoulders like a usual purse. So, I may not be the one to ask when it comes to lady accessories .

Looks kinda like this:

#160303 - 05/02/06 01:46 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>I call my purse a "bag," or sometimes my "pack,"
>>but I think that's just me.

I don't know if this is a regional or possibly age-related term, but I always saw purses being referred to as "pocket books".

#160304 - 05/02/06 02:17 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I always called them coin purses as well with a straight face, until Stewie was shaving himself to be a swimmer, and from that day forth, I smile when I hear someone say it.

I've always known them to be a purse, or pocket book. I've also heard the term wallet, for a females purse.

#160305 - 05/02/06 02:52 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: man_mind]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
I dont have any but my roommate has and old Khukuri knife and follows the superstition that it is bad luck to unsheath it without drawing blood, yours or anothers. The one and only time he showed me this knife he took it out, looked somewhat concerned about doing so, and then cut open the tip of his finger as his form of drawing blood with it. Needless to say, he has a nice knife that he does not get to use at all.

#160306 - 05/02/06 05:11 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Quiddity]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
There must be some kind of a charm you can use over your house to keep the sharks from falling into your roof!

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#160307 - 05/02/06 05:21 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

>>By the way, what do you call a coin container? The thing
>>that holds your money, which you keep inside your purse
>>which we call handbag.

A "coin purse". Go figure.

It is also known as a "change purse".

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#160308 - 05/02/06 05:28 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: dragondancer]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Lucky Cthulhu charm, or beaver tail key chain.

#160309 - 05/02/06 05:54 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: AlricTarrant]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>One superstition that I do not personally have
>>but which many people do (and that annoys the
>>hell out of me ) is a belief in astrology.

Personally, I view my astrological sign in the same way I view my ethnicity, birth stone, or state flower: an amusing trivia bit, not without its symbolic or lesser magic uses, but not something that I actually vicariously live through either.

#160310 - 05/02/06 09:02 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: man_mind]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

I am also a Gemini, but people don’t say all those annoying things like what you have mentioned.

The idea of having more than one personality is silly to me. I have one personality, and I am just ME.

I just like being a Gemini because I can celebrate my birthday in nice weather.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#160311 - 05/02/06 09:04 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

There are all kinds of things to carry with you and keep money in nowadays.

I keep a “wallet” inside my purse, and it has a separate part for coins, a separate part for paper money, and also has slots for credit cards and such. I like my purse contents to be organized, and it would annoy me to have money be loose in my purse.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#160312 - 05/02/06 10:43 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: man_mind]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

How about a shark's tooth? I seem to have plenty of them.

#160313 - 05/02/06 11:09 PM Astrology: Psych-Agent [Re: Bill_M]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Astrology is just gross. There are some topics that reek of ignorance to a degree that I no longer care about whatever benefits there may be in practicing conversation. I can taste the stink of the other person's mental laziness, and every time I do, I fear that I have somehow been infected by it. It's the same feeling I get around chatty xians, and what a doctor probably gets who forgets to put gloves on, and realize he has been exposed to a patient's blood, or a soldier who feels his lungs begin to sting, and starts flashing back to seminars about nerve-agent, and starts feeling around for his atropine injectors.

In this case, it is Psych-Agent, rather than nerve, blister, or blood agent--or a bio-hazard.

The answer is the same in every situation:

DECONTAMINATE!

This being said, I have read briefly and carefully on the subject, for the same reasons I own the Family Guy cartoon series. I think there is something to be learned SUBJECTIVELY from careful study of stupidity. The practice is to be avoided. The mechanics are to be understood for parallels with human behavior.

The only two pieces of information about this topic I can recommend are the quote at bottom, and an essay called "Signs of the Times" by Isaac Asimov. Everything else is shit. I don't doubt there are some great books out there about how to mindfuck someone out of this and that--I don't care. I've spent all the time I'm going to reading about this topic.

I recognize the usefulness of being adept at the language, as explained in the following quote from "Mostly Harmless." I refuse to take any notice or part in the shit, however, for the same reason I refuse to talk like a xian: STRATIFICATION.

I simply do not want to be surrounded with people who talk like shitheads--for whatever reason. I certainly don't want to impress them with verbal gymnastics, since that would just attract them.
I found this quote to be a fillip to senses, though. At least, though I choose to distance Astrology, it is still refreshing to see an articulate description of a person who simply exploits the mechanics.

"I know that astrology isn't a science, said Gail. Of course it isn't. It's just an arbitrary set of rules like chess or tennis or what's that strange thing you British play?
- Er, cricket? Self-loathing?
- Parliamentary democracy. The rules just kind of got there. They don't make any sense except in terms of themselves. But when you start to exercise those rules, all sorts of processes start to happen and you start to find out all sorts of stuff about people. In astrology the rules happen to be about stars and planets, but they could be about ducks and drakes for all the difference it would make. It's just a way of thinking about a problem which lets the shape of that problem begin to emerge. The more rules, the tinier the rules, the more arbitrary they are, the better. It's like throwing a handful of fine graphite dust on a piece of paper to see where the hidden indentations are. It lets you see the words that were on the piece of paper above it that's now been taken away and hidden. The graphite's not important. It's just the means of revealing their indentations. So you see, astrology's nothing to do with astronomy. It's just to do with people thinking about people."
- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

#160314 - 05/02/06 11:10 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: MagdaGraham]
LordAbyss Offline

Don´t be fooled.

They call it wallet. It isn´t separated by genders as it is in GB. Over there it is all wallet.

If you choose to be fooled by this "coin purse" thing that was invented here, you´d have to repeat yourself to their: "Whet did you esk?" one thousand times.

They can´t even take the piss properly. Too lousy. Annoying though. I ought to be the last to deny.

#160315 - 05/02/06 11:12 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
LordAbyss Offline

Quote:

I don't know if this is a regional or possibly age-related term, but I always saw purses being referred to as "pocket books".

C´mon. How often do people talk about purses? In America where fashion or anything related to what one wears or carries isn´t even in the dictionary? (I am not sorry and do look at the photo of that bag posted somewhere above... honestly, all it takes is a little taste! I could write a song starting with just about how wrong that buckle is... face it, you don´t talk about these things, you paint dragons on your denim trousers for fack sakes) Among males? When did once if that become always? Pocket books. Is this when I laugh out loud? Can´t be.

#160316 - 05/02/06 11:18 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
LordAbyss Offline

Nice hat.

#160317 - 05/02/06 11:24 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
LordAbyss Offline

It doesn´t matter in what you believe in. Superstition is belief. Belief for its lack of possible reasonable explanation brings on a chain on events. If you keep thinking that an opened umbrella in the house is powerful enough to ruin your life, then it is. It is all in your head. Simple as that.

#160318 - 05/02/06 11:44 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Quiddity]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Maybe that's the problem.

The Temple | The Elite

#160319 - 05/02/06 11:48 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Neko]
LordAbyss Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe that's the problem.

I will propably be banned for saying all the less so what the hell, let me guess: ToV members from the Bible Belt? As thick as it comes.

#160320 - 05/03/06 07:16 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: man_mind]
ElJago Offline

I also can't help but think of Stewie shaving his nutsack whenever I hear the term "coin purse".

#160321 - 05/03/06 08:47 AM Re: I am the 3-fold law. [Re: Quiddity]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Maybe we should invent new superstitions, in order to fuel some Darwin Awards. "It's good luck to open an umbrella indoors! Especially if you start swinging it around! And don't forget to leave your rat shit stained, roach gut smeared boots on the table! It makes the jolly elves of the kitchen very happy!"

#160322 - 05/03/06 10:44 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: LordAbyss]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>I could write a song starting with just about how wrong
>>that buckle is... face it, you don´t talk about these
>>things, you paint dragons on your denim trousers for fack
>>sakes) Among males? When did once if that become always?
>>Pocket books. Is this when I laugh out loud? Can´t be.

We were merely discussing the peculiar vocabulary difference between different English-speaking regions. I never said I myself carried a purse. So what the fuck were YOU talking about?

#160323 - 05/03/06 10:46 AM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Quiddity]
man_mind Offline
Banned

If you had said a Tigers tooth, I would have said that I saw that episode of Twilight zone! lol.

Seriously, a friend of mine in the military, SGT (I'm sure SGT is wrong, is it SGNT?) Kelly (Last name withheld) Makes shark mouth plaques as a hobby. He offered to give me one for free, but I declined because he actually sells them for a couple hundred. Some are big some are small, and as ignorant as I am about the scientific terms of the sharks name, he also included that tid bit on a piece of engraved metal underneath the pointy, razor sharp display.

#160324 - 05/03/06 10:55 AM Re: Astrology: Psych-Agent [Re: Quiddity]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>In this case, it is Psych-Agent, rather than nerve,
>>blister, or blood agent--or a bio-hazard.
>>
>>The answer is the same in every situation:
>>
>>DECONTAMINATE!

I don't understand how you can get so worked-up over something as mundane as astrology. We're talking about something that appears in the newspaper on the same page as the crossword puzzle and Family Circus.

>>I don't doubt there are some great books out
>>there about how to mindfuck someone out of this
>>and that

You mean like The Satanic Witch?

#160325 - 05/03/06 10:56 AM Re: I am the 3-fold law. [Re: reprobate]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Ah, I like this idea.

It is good lick to have a portable radio with you at all times, and super lucky if you keep it on the edge of your tub while bathing. However, it must be on (insert) station.

It is bad luck to brush your teeth before bed.

It is bad luck to go to your doctors appointment for kemo if it is 4 minutes after 12.

It is good luck to sleep with as many people as possible when you're infected with the HIV virus. Especially close friends.

It is bad luck to rinse off your poultry.

It is good luck to eat the vegitable without rinsing. Rinsing them only washes away any potential good luck you could have.

Cleaning your toilet bowl is bad luck.

It is extreme good luck to wear the same underwear (All clothes that are worn under something else) for four weeks or longer.

It is good luck to go to Louisiana and stand in the first swarm of mequito you find, especially lucky if they are all swarmed around still water spots.

This can go on all day! Let's right a book!

#160326 - 05/03/06 01:01 PM Pet Habits: Minor Rituals [Re: Bill_M]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

I'm not worked up. My comparisons are sound, albeit dramatic. I was referring more to conversation than a page on a newspaper. I see certain topics, like astrology or christinanity, as a sort of litmus test--a sort of general idea of what I can expect from a person in the future.

Obviously it is as harmless sitting on a newspaper page, as a person sitting on Santa's lap or hunting for easter eggs--which I don't do either. I don't ritualize buying a lie--even if I don't REALLY believe it. The pettiness of the lie is not an issue to me. The repetitive reinforcement of ritualizing something does not get me worked up--I simply have no respect for it, and have no problem saying so. It is this passive ritualization of known falsehoods that engender most of the ridiculous behavior and ideas in the world--from the astrology column to the Inquisition, to Muslim fanaticism. From a person's sign meaning something unwarranted, to dead people coming back to life, the power of prayer, and the bible proves that serpents could at one time speak.

I extend a smile and some tolerance as long as the stupidity is eating at someone else's mind, but when I feel it gnawing through my own backbone and brainstem, I withdraw my tolerance and give them the finger.

The process is significant. It is precisely it's apparently trivial nature that makes it significant--significant, without being important. Therefore, I don't take it seriously. I just simply don't take it at all.

If I'm going to make a pet habit out of something, I prefer it be something more interesting. I do have pet habits, in fact, here's one that seems petty in scale, but I enjoy it for about 30 seconds:

After Chinese food, there's always the fortune-cookie. For years now, I have thrown away the cookie and chewed up the fortune. I usually get pretty surprised looks in restaurants.

It's a pet habit--like the astrology column, but it's fun, and if there is any meaning to the ritual--however slight, it is the defiance of influence by an impersonal agent. Besides this, I originated it.

Of course, when I referred to books about mind-fucking, I was referring to astrology specifically. The Satanic Witch is applicable, but very useful beyond the realm of basic bullshittery.

I admit there are practical uses for the verbal jargon that goes along with astrology for Satanists--if one wishes to swim in this medium. I just don't care to, unless I have to. While this is true--I usually don't balk when someone reads off their entry in the column. I usually just smile and nod. If the conversation goes much farther than this, I prefer to be known as someone who rejects crap, than thought of as a tolerant person.

Socially, the mental laziness is annoying, and the stratification benefits seem on the order of those attained by mingling in a church. There are so many better things to do in the world. I just prefer not to waste my time. It's more about boredom than offense, really.

I just thought of a new pet habit while I was writing this. I think I just improved the spelling of "Christianity."

I think "Christinanity" works better. I think I'll go with it. This beats reading an astrology column any day.

#160327 - 05/03/06 01:09 PM Re: Pet Habits: Minor Rituals [Re: Quiddity]
man_mind Offline
Banned

The repetitive reinforcement of ritualizing something does not get me worked up--I simply have no respect for it, and have no problem saying so.

How do you mean "ritualize"?

As I stated already, I do use the symbology of some astrological signs in a birthday ritual, to reinforce the selfish Icon of the "I" (Me). It is just another way to say this is my day.

#160328 - 05/03/06 01:32 PM Re: I am the 3-fold law. [Re: reprobate]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

How about a place of ultimate happiness after we die--for going along with the local social-engineers?

Shit. It's already been done. Well, we may not get an award for originality, but there's sure a market for bullshit.

#160329 - 05/03/06 02:20 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
crackergirl Offline

Loc: Kansas
There's a clinical term for believing in superstitions. It's called OCD. Some people think they have to tap things a certain amount of times or they have to touch certain things or walk on certain tiles of the floor or something really bad will happen. If they don't perform these "rituals," they become overwhelmed with anxiety. I knew a chick that thought she had to count light posts in a certain way when she was driving or her mother would get into a car wreck.

A lot of my friends are superstitious in a sense that they believe in "karma." They warn me sometimes of it, and I have to tell them, "What goes around comes around is bullshit. I'm the only balancing factor in my universe. I know full well the consequences of my actions, and that's all karma is. Karma is consequences to one's actions. It's not some mystical force."

If you open a flood gate, it's not karma that makes the water spill out. If you open an umbrella indoors, it's not superstition that knocks Mama's favorite shadowbox off the wall. These are consequences to actions. Incidentally, the reason I don't open umbrellas indoors is because it doesn't rain in my house. Maybe the person that made up this particular superstition was just trying to get back at an enemy who had a leaky roof.

#160330 - 05/03/06 04:32 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

I have to turn the light switch on and off 666 times before I leave a room or my family will die.

Just kidding.

#160331 - 05/03/06 04:37 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: crackergirl]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Quote:

There's a clinical term for believing in superstitions. It's called OCD.

Are you referring to Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder??
If you are, that is certainly news to me...

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#160332 - 05/03/06 05:11 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
LordAbyss Offline

No. You were trying to take the piss and now you are "onwed".

#160333 - 05/03/06 05:19 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: LordAbyss]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Sorry Bill, you heard'em. You're "onwed" by a guy who can't spell "owned"

LordAbyss = Tool

#160334 - 05/03/06 05:21 PM Re: Astrology: Psych-Agent [Re: Bill_M]
uncleherpe Offline

astrology is lighthearted fun to me. I dont mind it. As long as someone doesnt launch into a tangent about how accurate it is or how it works.

#160335 - 05/03/06 05:25 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: LordAbyss]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

You misunderstood the point.

You have also deliberately made the attempt to cause trouble...

Your nature is known, and you're nothing but a flea.

Your antics gain you nothing but contempt.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#160336 - 05/03/06 05:35 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: CWH]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>Sorry Bill, you heard'em. You're "onwed"
>>by a guy who can't spell "owned"

Well my day calendar at the time of this posting is on Wednesday, so maybe I am in fact "onwed".

But geez, first diabolist, now this guy! I seem to be a magnet for the insane.

#160337 - 05/03/06 05:38 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
uncleherpe Offline

i dont know if they are crazy so much as just plain rude(especially the crackwhore post you linked). What posseses people to be nasty when no one provoked them?

#160338 - 05/03/06 05:43 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: uncleherpe]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

i dont know if they are crazy so much as just plain rude(especially the crackwhore post you linked). What posseses people to be nasty when no one provoked them?

Maybe thier mommies and daddies didn't give them enough hugs when they were little.

But more than likely, they were picked on far too often for being stupid; now they hide behind distance and a computer screen. Meaning that since no one can get up and kick their ass as needed, they can act like assholes any time they like.

#160339 - 05/03/06 05:47 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Well my day calendar at the time of this posting is on Wednesday, so maybe I am in fact "onwed".

Nice catch, very funny!

#160340 - 05/03/06 06:37 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Poetaster]
LordAbyss Offline

Quote:

You misunderstood the point.

You have also deliberately made the attempt to cause trouble...

Your nature is known, and you're nothing but a flea.

Your antics gain you nothing but contempt.

What is this? Macbeth with hole in left boot and an undecipherable itch, on to himself whilst hopping through a dead eucalyptus field on a limpsy-slimpsy brown horsey on his way back from Galileo´s shack on a Sunday afternoon? Bloody hell. Unbelievable. Give us a descent chronicle next time, will you darling.

#160341 - 05/03/06 06:51 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: CWH]
LordAbyss Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry Bill, you heard'em. You're "onwed" by a guy who can't spell "owned"

LordAbyss = Tool

That was a typeo.

#160342 - 05/03/06 06:54 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: LordAbyss]
BlasphemousOne Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Quote:

That was a typeo.

So was that.

#160343 - 05/03/06 07:01 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: BlasphemousOne]
LordAbyss Offline

Quote:

Quote:

That was a typeo.

So was that.

Elementary my dear Watson.

#160344 - 05/03/06 07:17 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
There is a superstition in my family against yellow flowers... Since I was a kid I was told that touching a yellow flower would bring us almost instant doom in a form of a fatal accident or a similar event.

I don’t know the origin of this superstition. It doesn’t exist in the cultures of the places where my ancestors came from. Looks like it’s exclusive of our family.

My grandmother used to tell us very detailed stories to illustrate the horrible consequences of even coming close to a yellow flower. My favorite was a woman she knew who was putting yellow flowers in a vase and at the same moment a lightning hit her son, who was playing ball outside, reducing him to ashes.

I know it sound ridiculous, but the fear of yellow flowers was very real in my family.

There was one time that the superstition was “confirmed” to us, when my brother fell down and broke his mouth minutes after touching a yellow flower at the park. Probably just a coincidence…

But, why take chances?

I never touch them, just in case.

#160346 - 05/03/06 08:34 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: LordAbyss]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

What is this? Macbeth with hole in left boot and an undecipherable itch, on to himself whilst hopping through a dead eucalyptus field on a limpsy-slimpsy brown horsey on his way back from Galileo´s shack on a Sunday afternoon? Bloody hell. Unbelievable. Give us a descent chronicle next time, will you darling.

My god, he's like Andre Breton.

Except retarded.

It's like talking to a finished mad lib.

#160347 - 05/03/06 08:45 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

I'm beginning to think we all might know this particular person, and if that's the case, I'm hardly surprised....

Call me crazy, but the "darling" is almost a dead giveaway.

- Sam Harris

#160348 - 05/03/06 08:50 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
LordAbyss Offline

I didn´t start it!

Who is this now anyhow? I think I recognise his face but I´ve never seen him before...

#160349 - 05/03/06 08:52 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Poetaster]
LordAbyss Offline

Is you always the last to know? No good, no good.

#160350 - 05/03/06 08:56 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: LordAbyss]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Surely your life cannot be this sad?

I mean, what would Oasis think?

- Sam Harris

#160351 - 05/03/06 08:59 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Poetaster]
LordAbyss Offline

Quote:

Surely your life cannot be this sad?

I mean, what would Oasis think?

They´d think I´m an obsessed drunk twat who should get a life if my heart was in it.

I own a tambourine of me own for the records... you´re messing with the wrong one, mate.

I could never give a shit. Alrite? Oasis was just an inevitable result.

#160352 - 05/03/06 09:27 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Poetaster]
LordAbyss Offline

#160353 - 05/03/06 11:06 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
Carkosa Offline

Quote:

I have begun to realise recently that I have picked up my grandmothers habit of being a slave to stupid, completely illogical and unrational superstition.

Satanic superstition??? That's sort of an oxymoron isn't it?

Satanic and superstitions...those two things cancel each other out. Being a slave to illogical beliefs and the compulsive behaviors associated with them are hardly Satanic in my opinion. Having fun with traditional superstitions is one thing. Actually believing this nonsense is not good.

#160354 - 05/03/06 11:35 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Carkosa]
LordAbyss Offline

Quote:

Satanic superstition??? That's sort of an oxymoron isn't it?

An anathema, yes.

#160355 - 05/04/06 04:24 AM Mostly Harmless [Re: uncleherpe]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Here's a nice treat...

"Surely the notion that great lumps of rock whirling in space knew something about your day that you didn't must take a bit of a knock from the fact that there was suddenly a new lump of rock out there that nobody had known about before.
That must throw a few calculations out, mustn't it?
What about all those star charts and planetary motions and so? We all knew (apparently) what happened when Neptune was in Virgo, and so on, but what about when Rupert was rising? Wouldn't the whole of astrology have to be rethought? Wouldn't now perhaps be a good time to own up that it was all just a load of hogwash and instead take up pig-farming, the principles of which were founded on some kind of rational basis?
Gail Andrews had taken it all reasonably well. She was just starting to recover from the initial onslaught, when she made the rather serious mistake of trying to shake Tricia off by talking smoothly about diurnal arcs, right ascensions and some of the more abstruse areas of three-dimensional trigonometry.
To her shock she discovered that everything she delivered to Tricia came right back at her with more spin on it than she could cope with. Nobody had warned Gail that being a TV bimbo was, for Tricia, her second stab at a role in life. Behind her Chanel lip gloss, her coupe sauvage and her crystal blue contact lenses lay a brain that had acquired for itself, in an earlier, abandoned phase of her life, a first class degree in mathematics and a doctorate in astrophysics."
--Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

#160356 - 05/04/06 09:21 AM Re: Mostly Harmless [Re: Quiddity]
man_mind Offline
Banned

It is hogwash. Again, it is Greek hogwash. Why don't people listen? (Not Q, but others whom he must continue to explain this to)

Fuck it. It is all real. Star particles and mini novas, gas and rock can explain your financial situation! AND, fortune cookies are the mere cousin to tarot cards, but none the less real as well.

#160357 - 05/04/06 05:30 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: ElJago]
d1g1t Offline

Loc: Southwest UK
Superstitions are either silly irrational beliefs, or common sense dressed up.

A black cat running in front of you - what does it matter?
Opening an umbrella inside - A broken peice of china!

I don't believe in superstitions, but I do have believe in common sense!

#160358 - 05/04/06 07:12 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: TrojZyr]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>It's like talking to a finished mad lib.

I was thinking of Zippy the Pinhead myself, or perhaps just a bot, but I like yours better.

#160359 - 05/04/06 07:44 PM Re: Satanic Superstition ? [Re: Bill_M]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

The only difference is, the mad libs I've encountered usually feature the word "penis" once or twice.

Zippy the Pinhead! Yes! I like yours better. Except Zippy usually contains charming pictures of roadside kitsch to distract us from the madness.

#160360 - 05/04/06 08:36 PM #1 Superstition blighting my life: [Re: ElJago]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
The popular superstitious belief that inflation is caused by rising prices!

Compared to that one, umbrellas are nothing!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406070 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements