Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#166463 - 05/27/06 08:10 PM Re: The brain is the boss. [Re: Carkosa]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:

There is no proof that shows otherwise.

I would suggest that your statement needs to define brain death as complete brain destruction to be more accurate.

There do exist many examples of EEG flatliners who are resuscitated and live long lives to tell the tale.

And then there are problems like this one.

The current scientific paradigm likes to pretend it possesses all of the answers with only a few details to be "tidied up".

That's been the same story told through out all of history.

There is still much science does not understand.

There is still much that science has gotten wrong.

Doubt is a two-edged sword. It needs to be applied as much to what we think is false as to what we think is true.

Evidence procedure is everything.

#166464 - 05/27/06 08:13 PM Re: Unprovable assumptions. [Re: Achilles]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Speaking of increasing youth and lifespan, how do you have such a young voice?

Living long does not require growing old.

Or as Mark Twain once put it:

"Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated."

#166465 - 05/27/06 08:16 PM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: ModernTantalus]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Yes. Is the universe a closed system?

Even worse, does anyone actually know if the universe is closed?

Socrates I recall it was suggested that mankind was like a group of frogs sitting around a frogpond self-assured that they know everything about the world.

#166466 - 05/27/06 08:21 PM Re: Unprovable assumptions. [Re: Nemo]
Achilles Offline

I was hoping you would have dropped a few hints, hehe.

It's impressive. You sounded like you were in your early 20s or less. Do you also look the way you sound? You should write a book on healthy living!

#166467 - 05/27/06 08:21 PM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: Psychotherapeut]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

And isn't this just as much an assumption just as those who are stating they are somehow "certain" that after death you are non-existent?

Arguments go on and on due to people who think they know things when, in truth, they do not.

They only are harboring assumptions.

As I have written above I am suggesting that it is wise to not assume that something that "seems plausible" is true.

Test it if you can.

If you can't then be careful what you choose to believe.

In my own case, I believe I will have a drink.

#166468 - 05/27/06 08:41 PM Re: Unprovable assumptions. [Re: Nemo]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Yes sir I do see what you mean.

Hail Satan!

#166469 - 05/27/06 09:17 PM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: Nemo]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

And isn't this just as much an assumption just as those who are stating they are somehow "certain" that after death you are non-existent?

Arguments go on and on due to people who think they know things when, in truth, they do not.

They only are harboring assumptions.

As I have written above I am suggesting that it is wise to not assume that something that "seems plausible" is true.

Test it if you can.

If you can't then be careful what you choose to believe.

In my own case, I believe I will have a drink.

I'll be more than happy to admit it all to be pure speculation... I would never lie to someone to say otherwise. I'm not a philosopher, and I suppose I should leave it to them to do their job... While there is a small overlap with what I do and what I continue to study, I think more than anything I wanted to stir the pot a little with another possibility that wasn't a total metaphysical explanation, and wasn't coming from someone who assumes there is a tangible afterlife... When I read the physio-psych/neurology rationalized post I felt compelled to... While we know that the basic information posted about how neurons function (thank the giant squids for this ), we still have little to no strong evidence on the process of thinking and consciousness being nearly as simplistic. We've come such a long way from simple behaviorism, seems like a cop out to explain it as simply as that... Especially when we can't make any finite statements (Not that any science is finite whatsoever...). I don't see any way of verifying any of it without experiencing it, and I'm not looking to die any time soon. I think I'd rather have a drink as well...

#166470 - 05/28/06 12:08 AM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: Nemo]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Socrates I recall it was suggested that mankind was like a group of frogs sitting around a frogpond self-assured that they know everything about the world <<

And you know what, Magister Nemo?

I have always said there is a great amount to be learned from such animals.

The frog is only being the best frog he can be - and doing it by thinking in a manner that is pertinent to his own existence; his own nature.

I think the way I want to think. I don't need my thoughts clogged with notions of other dimensions or afterlife bullshit.

I personally think it more natural to the human to live in such a way. I think it's the perfect example of why religions and mystical philosophies have thwarted man's ability to live.

My answer to anyone who asks how I know there is no life after death is - because that's what I think.

The problem with Socrates was that he never actually found the very things he was looking for - usable tools for living life.

I'm glad the old crow is dead.

This isn't an attack on what you've said - just my own take on the issue.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#166471 - 05/28/06 12:23 AM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
UVRAY
I have read many of your posts here and I always seem to take a little something for my arsenal from everyone of them. Who was it that said I think therefore I am? I'm not sure, but I believe it. I try not to shove my philosophies down others throats, not to imply anyone has, I just try to live by them. I feel that's all you really can do. I also like to share my thoughts, as I mentioned when I first got here, I believe in an open mind, and I believe in speaking your mind. Don't hold back for anyone. But I digress, good post my friend.

Hail Satan!
Hail ME!

#166472 - 05/28/06 01:53 AM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: ModernTantalus]
loyalservant Offline

blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall see God. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

#166473 - 05/28/06 02:32 AM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: Psychotherapeut]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Then here is to you!

#166474 - 05/28/06 02:42 AM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

I personally think it more natural to the human to live in such a way. I think it's the perfect example of why religions and mystical philosophies have thwarted man's ability to live.

Why what is "natural" for human beings is to be religious, to bow and scrape and serve the Gods they worship!

If we add up all the religious human beings and compare that number to all the non-religious human beings we discover what is normal and natural for human beings.

Religion did not just pop up in the last few hundred years, after all.

But I digress.

The real question here is what is more useful.

I would contend that overall it is more useful to have most human beings religiously worshipping their gods and for us to choose to be gods.

It all works out in a very balanced manner then.

Otherwise there is only needless frustration.

Cats act like cats.

Dogs act like dogs.

Humans act like humans.

Cats hiss. Dogs bark. Humans worship.

It is all very natural.

#166475 - 05/28/06 02:43 AM Blessed are the peasants. [Re: loyalservant]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

BWA HAHAHAHA!

Boy, are you in the wrong place!

#166476 - 05/28/06 02:57 AM Re: Blessed are the peasants. [Re: Nemo]
UmbraeNoctem Offline
Banned

Loc: Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, USA
Quote:

BWA HAHAHAHA!

Boy, are you in the wrong place!

Indeed. He meant to post it in the humor section.

Alien Elite.
Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#166477 - 05/28/06 02:57 AM Re: I can't take it anymore! [Re: Nemo]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Why what is "natural" for human beings is to be religious, to bow and scrape and serve the Gods they worship! <<

I am saying they worship because they cannot accept their nature; because of their "spiritual" development. In actual fact it's only an externalistion of their own egos.

As an example, Christians often espouse their altruism by denying the lust for revenge but you will often hear them say with real malice "oh God will really punish them."

It's failure to accept what is natural. But humans are still humans.

>> If we add up all the religious human beings and compare that number to all the non-religious human beings we discover what is normal and natural for human beings.<<

I disagree with that, I am afraid. The majority do not dictate what is natural or normal. I would say the majority make it wrong. Great minds think differently, not alike.

The enlightened don't need such illusions.

That is my understanding. I try not to think too much and just live according to my nature.

But the truth is, I couldn't give a fuck what they or anyone else thinks.

"the more intelligent I become, the more dumb I realise I am"

Richard Marcinko.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12196 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406002 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements