Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#171257 - 06/17/06 03:39 PM Bashing other religions
WolfMoon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
There was a thread about this on Warlock Bloodfire's Satanism myspace group, I felt it was worth mentioning here as well. This is concerning maturity amoung Satanists. Far too often I see "so-called" Satanists fixated on religions like Christianity. By proxy, it becomes their faith. Satanism is about indulgence, not self-destructive motives of useless hate. Knowing the difference defines a Satanist from a mere anti-Christian devil worshipper!

The Blood is the Life

#171258 - 06/17/06 06:18 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Yes! Do you know what else is true? You aren't going to believe this, but the sky is blue!
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven." - Paradise Lost, lines 251-255 of Book I

Wading in the cyberspace cesspool (MySpace page)

#171259 - 06/17/06 06:20 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Nogitsune Offline

Loc: N. Region of the W. World
Perhaps, though, it bears noting that there is a fine line between hatred of a religion, and hatred of the effects said religion has outside of it's story book.

That line, I think, is of some importance, as it reveals a considerable portrayal of one's mind by observing whether they obsess over the book/religion itself, or the undesirable side effects that come with it.

One obsesses with the story, another obsesses on how those that read and believe that story and/or listen to the interpretations spouted by their 'leaders'. The latter could effect you in undesirable ways if overlooked, so I suppose a bit awareness in this field couldn't hurt. Forewarned is forearmed and all that jazz.

Just an observation by the Nogi.
Within the eye of the storm of conformity, creativity runs rampant. The key then, is to surround yourself with the shaven fools if one is to truly be free. -Nogi The death rate on Earth is: .... (computing) .... One per person.

#171260 - 06/17/06 06:47 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Maya]
WolfMoon Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Yes! Do you know what else is true? You aren't going to believe this, but the sky is blue!

I can take your hint that I was stating the obvious. However, not everyone is as observant as you would like them to be. I just felt it had to be said.

The Blood is the Life

#171261 - 06/17/06 07:14 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Sadly, that thread was posted there out of necessity. At the time I posted it, too many group members were posting threads that just had no real purpose other than to trash-talk other religions.

If a person says something like "I hate Christianity" in my group, I expect them to be able to back that up with valid reasons why (and why they think they should care at all) along with productive solutions.

In other words, the focus should be on living Satanism, not vicariously living Christianity. Thankfully, most of the people here already get that part.

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#171262 - 06/17/06 07:19 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Bloodfire]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Can I still really, really, really, REALLY hate Islam, just for fun?

It just feeeeeels soooooooooooo gooooooooooood!

Please?

Warlock to Warlock humor, kiddies and jihadists.

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#171263 - 06/17/06 07:32 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Quaark]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Quote:

Can I still really, really, really, REALLY hate Islam, just for fun?

Well, okay, but only on Thursdays and the fourth day of Hanukka.

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#171264 - 06/17/06 08:42 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Quaark]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Oooo. Warlock on Warlock action......

Nm. I re-read what you wrote. I just go so excited.

Edited by man_mind (06/17/06 08:42 PM)

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#171265 - 06/17/06 08:57 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Quaark]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
We don't have to "bash" Jihadists verbally, we have Satanists in uniform in Iraq KILLING them!
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#171266 - 06/17/06 09:52 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
I apologize. Your statement was annoyingly obvious, but I was just feeling a bit bitchy.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven." - Paradise Lost, lines 251-255 of Book I

Wading in the cyberspace cesspool (MySpace page)

#171267 - 06/17/06 10:24 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Svengali]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

A fact I never forget, and take delight in daily.

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#171268 - 06/17/06 10:52 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Rasputin Offline

Loc: Israel
Couldn't agree more- great post. I even said the same thing on the boards couple of days ago.
If there's something that the SB thought me it's to be open-minded. I'm open minded towards everything my knowledge is not sufficient of: Paganism, Reincarnation, ET's etc... My family's best friends are practitioners of the Provoslavic/Orthodox Russian Church and they are great people.
I wonder how many of them Hardcore-Satanic folks know what the inverted cross is really all about. Do they know that it was first presented in Christian connection by a student of Jesus, who felt not worthy enough to be crucified 'upwards' like his master?
"What do you mean? "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is morning to be good on?" (Gandalf, The Hobbit- J. R. R. Tolkien)

#171269 - 06/17/06 11:00 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Svengali]
S_Magazine Offline
CoS Witch

We don't have to "bash" Jihadists verbally, we have Satanists in uniform in Iraq KILLING them!

Unfortunately, not enough are dying by our hands, but they're sure enough doing a job on each other.

#171270 - 06/17/06 11:53 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
I think it's natural for many Satanists, particularly those new to identifying themselves as such, to do a lot of religion bashing. And it can certainly be a fun thing sometimes. I enjoy witty forms of blasphemy as much as the next Satanist. Hell, I typically start my show every week with a bit of religion-bashing humor.

But I imagine the compulsive sort of religon bashing is rooted in having some sort of emotional ties to those religions. Satanists may be "born not made", but a life of anti-Satanic indoctrination doesn't immediately vanish from upon reading The Satanic Bible. As Dr. LaVey said, it's one thing to accept something intellectually, but another thing to accept it emotionally. For many I've notice that it's a passing phase. Eventually, they learn not to entertain Jesus freaks and focus on other things.

Amd when it comes to having a forum on Satanism, whether it's this one or one of the countless others out there, I agree that the xtian-bashing thing quickly becomes tiring and unproductive. I'm not really interested in seeing yet another web site that lists Bible contradictions, or lyrics from some heavy metal band out to market attention for themselves. The Satanic Bible provides a core definition for a religion with an applicable philsophy, and the applications are only limited to the Satanist's imagination! There's no need to remind us of what Satanism isn't when there are so many opportunities to tangibly show what Satanism is.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#171271 - 06/18/06 02:46 AM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
I never really got the whole hating a religion thing. As a matter of fact, I love religions.

I am one who loves different cultures and a lot of different cultures were infuenced by religion. I like reading the mythology behind many religions and discussing the philosophy with others.

What I don't like is hard-core religious people. People who have no identity other than their religion. People who can't make any choices in life without opening a religious text. People who claim the book they read is better than any other book. People who bash other religions because they have nothing else better to talk about than how more correct they are then others.

I laugh at these " so-called" Satanists becuase they are acting the same way these religious people are. They are advertising their religion as their main identity. They claim that the books they read are better than any book around (The Satanic Witch is a great book and all, but I would rather curl up to Federik Pohl). You often see these kinds doing book reviews on books that have to do with their religion to people of said religion who have more than likely have read said book. The people have to sit and think about their choices being "Satanic" or not. Another thing they have in common is most of them more than likely didn't read the entire book.

It boils down to these "so-called" being the exact same kind of people, they just wear a huge Baphomet instead of a giant cross.

"i hate x-tians cuz they push ther religion in every 1s faces!!11!1one!11 HAIL SATIN 666 - signed Satans_Whore_Boodlove6666QT4U"

Pot. Kettle

#171272 - 06/18/06 07:21 AM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
There was a time where i hated christianity and spend too much time on that hatred, it does not affect me anymore these days, i see a bigger danger in muslim extremism and their whole jihad thing towards all non-believers..but then again, i try not to focus alot on it. If that time comes (hope not) that i need to defend myself against that scum, then i am definitely ready for it.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#171273 - 06/18/06 11:09 AM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: tovasshi]
The_Lightning Offline

What a beautifully written reply! I agree with you completely.

I think that every rebel has to feel hatred and anger towards things that repressed him and made society so dumb- it's a part of getting detached from it and starting to walk one's own path.
It is when it's obsessive that those feelings become self-distractive, like anything else would be when taken in an overdose. Balance- is definitely a key word here.

#171274 - 06/18/06 11:30 AM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
I am not one for bashing other religions myself. I am what I am and do not need to gratify myself in the destruction of others simply based on their 'faith'. I actually studied many religions over the years prior to finding Satanism. Even after reading the Satanic Bible when I was 17, I continued to study other religions and just made it a point to live by what I had learned from that diabolical black book. I find actually it helps to know thine enemy, to paraphrase. I find myself rarely leaving home with the exception of retrieving necessities because I do not wish to be bothered by anyone, and therefore I do not wish to bother them. You will always have to deal with righteousness, idiocy and hypocrocy wherever you go. Until Lex Talionis is widely practiced by nations everywhere(if ever), there will always be idiots. Just stay out of their way. How does that expression go when encountering animals, "They are more afraid of you then you are of them." We are feared because we are the Alien Elite, we see life for what it is rather than trying to change what we are for the promise of a glorious afterlife, and that scares them. Don't waste your time bashing them and lowering yourself to their level. Take pride in knowing that they fear YOU because you are a Satanist.

Rege Satanas!

#171275 - 06/18/06 12:08 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: tovasshi]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Suffice it to say, I have a "complex" relationship with religion. I neither strongly hate it, nor strongly love it. It's not a black/white deal with me, because I have put so much work into studying religion, and really trying to understand it.

When I think about it, the religion I bash the most is Wicca, because to my knowledge, I've never met a well-adjusted Wiccan, and I think that's rather telling. When I engage in bashing, I typically bash specific people or groups, or make fun of particular teachings or views.

I like religion because:

Religion--Big Questions, an attraction to myths and archetypes, the ability to disassociate during a profound ritual, etc.--is a part of who we are as human beings. It is encoded into us. To deny this would be akin to denying the biological and genetic origins of lust, or love, or aggression.

Religion often inspires people to create great works of art and myth. Certainly, people create myths and art without religion all the time, but I do wonder what would've been lost if religion did not exist. I for one love studying all the different creation myths, for example, or watching the assorted rituals of various religions.

Religion typically inspires people to ask Big Questions and seek purpose. If there's one thing I can say about the sincere religious people I know, it's that many of them seem to be genuinely energized and excited about life in the least, and genuinely interested in complex questions related to purpose, meaning and/or ethics at the most. The hardcore atheists I know tend to be more than a bit dull and drab, and they sometimes get lost because they aren't grounded in some kind of purpose or sense of direction.

Religion can actually look really cool when it's discussed or practiced by people who sincerely care about Big Questions, who aren't afraid of complexity, and most of all, who truly want religious teachings to apply to human beings in a realistic, sensical, and humanistic fashion. John Shelby Spong, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Tito Colliander, Chuang Tzu, Paul Tillich, CS Lewis, St. Thomas Aquinas can be considered examples of people who seem mostly sincere, (usually) well grounded, and willing to truly wrestle with ideas, in order to seek truths that will create the best, most humanistic, most intelligent, most honest results and practical applications for human beings. Naturally, the products of these sophisticated, honest musings are rarely Satanic in spirit or in nature, note, but I for one can at least appreciate it when individuals are attempting to create a realistic framework that they themselves can live within.

Many people would be lost without some kind of religion or ideology. They need something to guide and inspire them, as well as something to control their conduct and direct their morality. To tear religion away from such people would akin to tearing a pacifier away from a baby, or draining oil out of a car and expecting it to still run just as well as before.

Not everyone is a Satanist, could be a Satanist, should be a Satanist, would be a Satanist. For me to resent a non-Satanist for seeking a standard, theistic, morality-based "white-light" religious path would be akin to a lion resenting a gazelle for not being a lion. Water has to seek its own level, after all.

I dislike religion because:

It often inspires people to deny and ignore their lives, their bodies, their minds, and their natural instincts. So, you get nuts like St. Symeon of Stylites mortifying their flesh, and homosexuals seeking "treatment." Even worse, it inspires groups and religious authorities to encourage or force others to deny and ignore their fleshy forms and natural urges.

It inspires mob mentaility and herd conformity. "Pastor says it, I believe it!" In turn, religion often inspires people to disregard or ignore personal experience, common sense, scientific evidence, and objective observations.

Religion can encourage or allow escapism, avoidance, and black and white thinking, so that people can flee from answering Big Questions and avoid seeking authentic purpose and meaning. "Everything I need to know or think about is in The Book, and every response to every moral or personal problem is in The Book, too!"

It can inspire people to proselytize and act obnoxious, and it can encourage people to legislate their moral and subjective personal views. Naturally, religion can also inspire people to commit atrocities of various sorts in order to "preserve" or "uphold" the faith.

Religion champions a fervent belief in things unproven and unseen, and encourages people to pursue spiritual pipe dreams, at the expense of things seen and proven.

The majority of religions champion, in whole or in part, wishy-washy slave moralities that advocate for turning the other cheek and the like. Many religions--or, at the least, certain sects of various religions-champion irrational, unhealthy, unnatural ideas and practices such as child abuse, animal sacrifice, oppression of certain groups or individuals, mortification of the flesh, and compulsive abstinence.

Once again, most people would be lost without some kind of ideology to guide and direct them, and that's just laughable and pathetic.

Religion allows assholes to polish goodguy badges, and provides a screen for various types of brigands, psychopaths, cowards, hypocrities, and crazies to hide behind with pride. Religion allows certain individuals to carry out personal vendettas and plans using lofty, self-satisfied spiritual rationalizations, and such rationalizations make such people even more determined and dangerous.

Oh, and I like your Kimba the White Lion avatar.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#171276 - 06/18/06 01:16 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: TrojZyr]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
One Hell of a post, TrojZyr; an excellent breakdown of the issue. But one line in particular practically LEAPED off the screen:

Quote:

For me to resent a non-Satanist for seeking a standard, theistic, morality-based "white-light" religious path would be akin to a lion resenting a gazelle for not being a lion.

Bravo. That's one of the most perfectly-distilled insights on this topic I've ever seen.

-Chess

#171277 - 06/18/06 01:59 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Svengali]
WolfMoon Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Heh. Good point.

The Blood is the Life

#171278 - 06/18/06 02:03 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Bill_M]
WolfMoon Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I think it's natural for many Satanists, particularly those new to identifying themselves as such, to do a lot of religion bashing. And it can certainly be a fun thing sometimes. I enjoy witty forms of blasphemy as much as the next Satanist. Hell, I typically start my show every week with a bit of religion-bashing humor.

But I imagine the compulsive sort of religon bashing is rooted in having some sort of emotional ties to those religions.

I totally agree. When I first read the Satanic Bible about 10 years ago it was a natural phase for me to focus on the "rebellious" aspect, but I moved on, that isn't my goal. I am in no way stating that we as Satanists should be tolerant of religions like Christianity. My point was simply to not be fixated on it. As the good docter said, "indulgence not compulsion". Furthermore, it should also be acknowledged that these types of slave religions will always exist in some form for the bottom of the food chain. To seperate the sheep from the wolves. Their worst punishment is sometimes their own faith.

The Blood is the Life

#171279 - 06/18/06 03:03 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: TrojZyr]
The_Lightning Offline

You know- I always enjoyed your posts, but to this particular reply I must say- well done!
Perfectly written.

#171280 - 06/18/06 05:25 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Illuminatus Offline

Loc: Hellsinki, Finland
I must admit I enjoy bashing christians and pointing out the faults in their "logic" and watch them squirm. But the constant compulsive bashning as presented by the Freethinkers here is quite stupid in my opinion. People who think that stupid people have no other problems than their religion and that without it they would be great minds are just absurd. To me, religion isn't a reason for stupidity but a symptom of it.

#171281 - 06/18/06 06:14 PM Stratification [Re: TrojZyr]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Quote:

For me to resent a non-Satanist for seeking a standard, theistic, morality-based "white-light" religious path would be akin to a lion resenting a gazelle for not being a lion.

I agree with Chess; that was brilliantly stated, and I shall remember that simile and steal it for future use. Don't sue Me... I shall say "As a wise friend of Mine said..."

Generally, My take has been "well, we need the slaves, after all". Without the herd as a point for comparison, we'd still be downright cool, very effective at what we choose to do, etc, but, by definition, we wouldn't be élite any more. And being élite is fun. And yes, of course then we'd further stratify into our own levels of brilliance, which is all well and good... But frankly, we already have that within ourselves, and it's good to have "the peasantry" way below us to be opressed, and serve us with their mindless milling herd nature.

I'm with Nietzsche on this one: The religious nature itself, if not the religion per se is to be encouraged, even amongst the stupid and ignorant (I stray a little from Nietzsche here, as I personally am happy for the religion itself to be promoted also - Just needs a few things ironing out, generally the atrocities that most religions endorse - Without them, they'd be perfect slaves).

Amongst ourselves, the Alien Élite, Nietzsche's Übermensch(en), we can put our own religious nature to good use. Then, it's just a matter of putting their religious nature to good use... To us.

#171282 - 06/18/06 06:34 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Bashing their religion only make them get in “alert mode”. Which for them means closing their minds even more than before and finding refuge in the mechanical repeating of their bible verses.

Instead, I like to find a little crack in their armor and sneak my way in.

My personal method for doing that is humor. I wouldn’t write a blatantly “anti Christian” comic; It would be counterproductive. But I insert my little Satanic message in the plot of my stories.

I hope I can make people laugh… and at the same time make them think.

#171283 - 06/18/06 06:36 PM Humour [Re: Old_Pig]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
1) Your comics are great. I know you know this already, but hey.

2) I don't know about other white light religions, but I've found that a lot of Christians are actually quite open to humour regarding their chosen religion.

#171284 - 06/18/06 07:18 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Old_Pig]
pitzi_83 Offline

I use humor to open them up and soften them.
Then I play the "Convertable" role.

I wait for an Irrational explenation and question it. easy easy.
I continue with this tactic until they fear me due to the
questions of disbelief I plant in them against their god.

I remember sitting with a Rabbi once and making him
so uncomfortable in that manor, that he couldn't look me in
the eyes.
I learned this method from my father.

Sometimes, it's so much fun I think it's a sin.
(Drumroll)

Seriously now. I only bash religious groups of one kind or the
other if they pose a threat to me or harm me in any way.
Same as I would to any other enemy, religious or not.

#171285 - 06/18/06 07:42 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Old_Pig]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>Bashing their religion only make them get in “alert
>>mode”. Which for them means closing their minds even
>>more than before and finding refuge in the mechanical
>>repeating of their bible verses.

An analogy I once heard is that while religion is crutch for these people, trying to lean in and kick away that crutch will only make them cling to it tighter.

>>I hope I can make people laugh… and at the
>>same time make them think.

I must say that your work is a refreshing difference to a lot of this "all shock, no wit" stuff that passes for "humor" these days. I suppose it all goes back to the Satanic power of comedy, something LaVey wrote about in his essay The Whoopee Cushion Shall Rise Again. Humor itself is the antithesis of the sacred, pretentious, and pious. From a very early age I learned that one really well-executed sarcastic remark can uproot an entire institution of thought.

Of course when anger against religion gets counter-productive and all too consuming, well that's why we have psychodramas like Le Mess Noir at our disposal. But I certainly feel that the right comedy can serve as that "black mass" for many. Of course I tend to go for audio rather than a visual medium, but I think the idea is the same.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#171286 - 06/18/06 08:13 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Chess]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Thank you sir.

The credit for the idea underlying the metaphor goes to Professor Sinister, though, who doesn't seem to post here much anymore. He narrated this lovely little story once about a gazelle who wants to be a lion and the lion who humors her, and needless to say, it goes badly.

Tha Pig sez:

Instead, I like to find a little crack in their armor and sneak my way in.

My personal method for doing that is humor. I wouldn’t write a blatantly “anti Christian” comic; It would be counterproductive. But I insert my little Satanic message in the plot of my stories.

I hope I can make people laugh… and at the same time make them think.

Exactly. Humor is a wonderful tool for breaking down people's usual defenses and getting them to chill out and/or think.

You're absolutely right that most people go into "alert mode" if you try to harp at them.

"Captain, the sensors have picked up an incoming lecture off the port bow!" "Raise the defensive shields, and put our fingers in our ears and go 'Na na na na, I can't hear you,' Mr. Sulu!"

Nobody likes a lecture or criticism. Sure, there are times to appeal to people with logic and reason, but those tools only go so far, and humor can often go even further. But, even then, you have to be very careful if you plan on actually appealing to the audience you want to make fun of, because if people come to feel like too much of the humor is at their expense, they'll get offended, and the shields will go up.

Oh, and I agree with Lingua that, depending on the topic and depending on the Christians, Christians are actually moderately hang-loose about humor at their expense, especially if you compare them with Muslims and various types of Pagans in that department. There's a great Christian humor magazine called "The Wittenburg Door" (known just as "The Door"), and they poke fun at each other and themselves constantly. (They especially love to mock the Left Behind Guys, televangelists, megachurches, and Kirk Cameron).

Lingua sez:
Generally, My take has been "well, we need the slaves, after all". Without the herd as a point for comparison, we'd still be downright cool, very effective at what we choose to do, etc, but, by definition, we wouldn't be élite any more. And being élite is fun.

Yes, being elite is fun!

But, as you noted, it wouldn't be as cut-and-dry as all that. The "elite" would simply be the absolute best of the best. It would be harder to be considered elite, but the concept would still exist.

Not to mention, in the end, the real goal should be to compare oneself with oneself, no? (Not that being smug about being better than scores of scumbags isn't fun and isn't good for morale, because it certainly is.)

But, I think you're right that we do need certain types of people in society to hold everything together. We need people who adhere to a slave morality in order to hold various social contracts together. We need menial laborers who'll work at McDonalds or clean floors. We need spunky social activists to challenge the status quo that we ourselves just usually navigate around. And, I for one would become quite fatigued if I always had to use my best Lesser Magic techniques on everyone around me, so it's a blessing to me that not everyone is rapier-sharp and eagle-eyed.

Just needs a few things ironing out, generally the atrocities that most religions endorse - Without them, they'd be perfect slaves).

I do think many things need to be "ironed out." Many liberal theologies in various religions are helping to do that, by promoting humanism, pragmatism, and science, but encouraging "spirituality" and community. They are thankfully filing down the sharp fangs of religion, but letting the beast itself live.

I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as "slaves vs. masters," because of how complex most people are. (Though, don't get me wrong, I do think there is a sizeable class of people who I'd call "sheep" or "slaves" without hesitation.) The theologians and scholars I mentioned previously are/were generally pretty sharp, and while I think my view of the world is superior to theirs in the end, I don't necessarily consider them total rubes, either. It's why I say that some people are merely nonsatanic, while others are flagrantly unsatanic. Don't underestimate the power, intelligence, or the usefulness of nonsatanic people.

And, while many people do have use to us, especially in certain situations, I am not fixated on "tool use." If I need someone to act as a tool in the moment, I take the steps to make it happen. But, for the most part, I'm quite content to wish people well in their own endeavors and happiness in their own lives, just as I want them to do with me. Even when I use people, I try to leave them "intact" as much as is appropriate and possible; most people who've been "used" by me for some end would probably report that I made them feel happy, humored, or appreciated in some way, so the deal is usually reciprocal in some fashion.

While I often wish many more people would die so as to free up more resources and more room on the planet, I don't necessarily wish most average people actual ill will in the form of profound, needless, or extreme suffering. (If they do it to themselves, well, then, that's their problem, and I'll reserve my right to snicker and sneer if they sabotage themselves in a really stupid or really obnoxious way.) When it comes to most religionists, I just want them to find purpose, meaning, wisdom, dignity, satisfaction and a genuinely good life while walking their path in life; I want them to be useful to me and pleasant towards me when I need them to be; and I want them to stay out of my hair and other people's beeswax.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#171287 - 06/19/06 08:22 AM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Those people only need to ask themselves but one question: Does this in any way improve the condition of my life or does it have other positive effects?

In my opinion it has no positive effects whatsoever and, although I do enjoy good discussions about religion, I know there is nothing to be gained to constantly tell them they are wrong or try to convince them you are right for that matter. I consider that solipism of the highest form.

They will never understand me and I will never understand them and sometimes it's best to leave it at that as long as they do not interfere with my personal life.
'satanists' who feel the compulsive urge to bash other religions whilst contributing nothing to their own lives or that of their loved ones are just as bad as the people they 'hate'.

There is, obviously, a thing to be said for opening the eyes of others through what you create be it a well written article or another work of art. A good piece of work will always open more minds than bashing which leads to nothing but a waste of energy.

#171288 - 06/19/06 08:48 AM Compulsion [Re: Grima]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

I agree with you Grima.

There is no importance at all to "feed the inside beast with hate" towards christians for example.

Well now, I know that I'm saying this living in a liberal country, so they truly don't exist for me, they just follow their religions without yelling the name of Jesus in the street.

I think that the people in need to bash christianity all the time for example, are people making a "transfer of hate" : this religion could represent the symbol of their forced education by their parents, etc...

It is compulsion.

Edited by Assabrah (06/19/06 08:49 AM)

#171289 - 06/19/06 01:05 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
Lust Offline

I would recomend a Black Mass in which the absolute highest expression of the herd is ceremonially dethroned and crushed into the ground.
What better way to remove those unwanted influences?
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#171290 - 06/19/06 09:29 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Lust]
WolfMoon Offline
CoS Member

A black mass would serve this purpose very well. It has been many years since I myself have taken part in one. But these days I feel no need to.

The Blood is the Life

#171291 - 06/20/06 03:10 AM Re: Compulsion [Re: Assabrah]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:

I think that the people in need to bash christianity all the time for example, are people making a "transfer of hate" : this religion could represent the symbol of their forced education by their parents, etc...

The christian religion has certainly played a negative role in my youth but I simply did not want to do anything with them anymore. I learned from an early age that it is not the group but always the individuals you need to take care of.
Take care of the individual, the one that really bothers you, get it over with and you can get on with your life.

It is indeed compulsive behaviour and frustrates their own happiness although they cannot see it. Those that continue on this path are simply not worth the effort, let them hate if they think that improves their quality of life. We know better although it sometimes annoys me that they dare call themselves satanists since I believe a true Satanist does not simply say a religion is wrong but has the knowledge and expertise to back up his claims.
But I digress, I think a lot of people have made some excellent points here already.

#171292 - 06/20/06 09:17 AM Re: Compulsion [Re: Grima]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
There is only one religion which I truly despise, even though I am not exactly on the same side as the rest of them, either. This religion is Pagan, or more specifically, Wiccan. Every time I think about them I picture them running naked through the woods doused in "magical" oils and calling fireflies "fairies" like a herd of babbling idiots.

#171294 - 06/20/06 10:12 AM Re: Compulsion [Re: Quaark]
UmbraeNoctem Offline
Banned

Loc: Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, USA
Quote:

She moved: I miss her cleavage.

Call me shallow.

Hi Shallow!

Alien Elite.
Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#171295 - 06/20/06 10:37 AM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: tovasshi]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

I never really got the whole hating a religion thing. As a matter of fact, I love religions.

I am one who loves different cultures and a lot of different cultures were infuenced by religion. I like reading the mythology behind many religions and discussing the philosophy with others.

What I don't like is hard-core religious people. People who have no identity other than their religion. People who can't make any choices in life without opening a religious text. People who claim the book they read is better than any other book. People who bash other religions because they have nothing else better to talk about than how more correct they are then others.

I laugh at these " so-called" Satanists becuase they are acting the same way these religious people are. They are advertising their religion as their main identity. They claim that the books they read are better than any book around (The Satanic Witch is a great book and all, but I would rather curl up to Federik Pohl). You often see these kinds doing book reviews on books that have to do with their religion to people of said religion who have more than likely have read said book. The people have to sit and think about their choices being "Satanic" or not. Another thing they have in common is most of them more than likely didn't read the entire book.

It boils down to these "so-called" being the exact same kind of people, they just wear a huge Baphomet instead of a giant cross.

"i hate x-tians cuz they push ther religion in every 1s faces!!11!1one!11 HAIL SATIN 666 - signed Satans_Whore_Boodlove6666QT4U"

Pot. Kettle

So basically you don't make the distinction between common sense realism, supernatural revelation, and pop fiction as long as it satisfies some random need.

The main reason bashing religions is discouraged is because there are more interesting things to talk about. Too many people attempt to side up with Satanism in reaction to some other religion and just won't shut up about it. And some people wrongly assume that bashing other religions is ALL Satanism is about.

Supernatural religions deserve to be bashed for encouraging epidemic glorification of irrationality, and for devaluing this world in favor of some non-existent afterlife.

They all claim to be "special" based on some non-existent supernatural sanction.

Satanism teaches that people are exceptional by virtue of their abilities.

Once again, for the millionth time, 99% of the losers you encounter here and elswhere claiming to be "satanic" or "elite" aren't.

Satanism is a "put up or shut up" philosophy.

As Magister Rose says, "Empty cans rattle the loudest."

........ but don't make the mistake of equating Satanism with other religions.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#171296 - 06/20/06 05:06 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: Grima]
WinterGoat Offline

Loc: WA State
Wonderfully stated!
Just let me add that this also can lead to counter-productive argumentation, and is akin to proselytizing.

Albert Schweitzer

They're persecuting what they can't stand to look at in themselves--the truth.

From the song Warlock
by The Electric Hellfire Club

TESLAMAP5

#171297 - 06/20/06 09:21 PM Re: Bashing other religions [Re: WolfMoon]
IronJohn Offline

Loc: Missouri,United States
Right, and don't forget the kids that like to wear all black and stare down old ladies at the mall. Then, they come up and talk to me for some reason, they say, "nobody's my friend because I'm so elite and they're intimidated." The two seem related, they usually grow from being obsessed with christianity or wicca or some other rhp religion that they're the "arch nemesis" of. Then, somebody whose opinion they'll actually listen to, i.e. somebody at a heavy metal concert or on this or some other satanic site tell them to let the horse rest in peace. So then, they become obsessed with how elite they are because they could afford the seven dollars or whatever it is now for the Satanic Bible. At this point they're completely gone, because no matter who tells them to shut the f up, their interpretation will be "They're just intimidated because they're not as elite as I am." Truly, a legend in their own minds. All hail Napoleon Dynamite's evil twin.

#171298 - 06/20/06 09:31 PM After awhile... [Re: WolfMoon]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
After awhile you get completely tired of being critical of the antics of children.

You simply decide to either let them grow up or drop dead.

Sometimes both.

THE FIRE FROM WITHIN

Nemo On Satanism: Volume One
Satanic Sources - Print

My 9sense interview on Greater Magic:
http://youtu.be/PCcYWmeSkCI

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
11895 Members
73 Forums
43648 Topics
404207 Posts