Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#17283 - 12/14/03 12:09 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Old_Pig]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really ought to calrify what I mean before I say anything more.
The "satanic image" I refer to is the conditioned image that society beilieves a "satanist" is to have, i.e, balck clothes, work the graveyard shift, kill puppies and get into trouble type of image.lifestyle......a counterproductive lifestyle so to speak. Basically society has the "misdirected or misinterpreted media view" of satanism, one that I do not fit, neither do any of the rest of these fine people on the board including yourself. Some of us work day jobs, others prefer nights, some do not need to work. When all is said and done though, society will sitll never understand what a satanist truly is though because no explanation will ever be good enough. Those that get it need no explanation, those that do.....no one explanation will ever be good enough.

Hail!

Edited by Todd_Pope (12/14/03 12:12 AM)

#17284 - 12/14/03 12:59 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Sammael Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Detroit, MI
Quote:

my tacky 80's music collection

Hair bands I assume?
I'm HUGE on the hair bands - Motley (my fav), Poison, Queensryche, Warrant, Skid Row, etc (just to name a few). A number of people have mentioned that it "just doesn't fit in with the rest of my personality."
What?? The tall bald man in black and a trench coat can't like 80's butt-rock?

#17285 - 12/14/03 09:02 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Felstorm]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It has long been a dream of mine, so I'm glad I recently took the plunge and went for it.

I get a great deal of satisfaction from it all

#17286 - 12/14/03 09:07 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Anonymous
Unregistered

*big smiles* Thank you Ms (tress) Strega

I shall have to PM you at some point, I'm interested to know your own personal techniques.

#17287 - 12/14/03 12:29 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
RomanLions Offline

Loc: Wooster, OH
I love the puzzled looks I get when people mistake my dark outfits, pale skin, and black hair for some kind of vampire wanna-be, and they find I'm not what they expect.
I love NFL football, and I can dominate and dispose of any argument concerning my favorite team. The mindless rednecks who half-heartedly venture into a discourse on this subject find themselves outmatched by me, and the spectacle that ensues usually raises more than a few eyebrows.
I love board games too. My favorites are Risk, and Stratego, but I'll settle happily into Scrabble, or any of the Milton Bradley classics. My wife, and I are amassing quite a stack of them. We have hooked my eleven year-old neice into our affinity for them, and for a kid who has a playstation 2, and an X-box I think that's a rather remarkable feat these days.

#17288 - 12/14/03 11:41 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I probably appear to the the opposite of someone you would generally consider a Satanist. I'm 18, but I've been interested in Satanism for a few years, and never did go through that black/goth phase.

I have highly eclectic tastes in everything. My music taste ranges from old hippy music, to indie rock, to folk, to death metal. It sure confuses people when I can switch between listening to Simon and Garfunkel to In Flames. I dress pretty a-typical also. I have more clothes than I know what to do with, most are scored from second hand stores, and I've never seen someone else wearing the same thing as me.

I'm also love lots of movies, and am known to enjoy a good animation from time to time. My room is purple, and full of books, and plants, and bright colorful things I collect when I travel.
I just end up collecting things that I think are attractive, and what I listen to and how I dress is not dictated by anyone. But it's not the stereotypical Satanist style, so it confuses the hell out of people, and I've never had a person be able to guess I was a Satanist. But then again, I'm the only one in town that I know of.

#17289 - 12/15/03 12:12 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
I hope you enjoy learning about it as much as I did.

It really does give you an inner perspective upon which alot of people have fantasies. Yet is so sad that surprisingly few people are willing to indulge in that delicious exchange of power. In some cases I don't see much difference between the Ritual Chamber and the Bed Chamber.

Ah that glorious "suspension" of disbelief that lasts all to exstaticly short some times. Pun intended. Ha!

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#17290 - 12/15/03 12:19 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Don't change a thing that is just exactly what it's all about. You are more 'satanic' than most I've run across IRL.

Keep it up! We need more outstanding individuals. Even if they are low-profile.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#17291 - 12/15/03 10:23 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Sammael]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
Some hair bands make the cut, including some of what you mentioned. But mostly I am a fan of techno-pop and new wave, a la Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Duran Duran, and related bands. I'm also a big 80's/early 90's Madonna fan (i.e., before she tried to look as though she had 'depth')

--The Royal Me

#17292 - 12/15/03 10:34 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: mastiva]
Shylock Offline

Actually, my appearance was designed more for the purpose of making me look good rather than to project an "unSatanic" image to throw people off--I went through a goth phase, but it really did nothing for me. I do however enjoy the fact that my clean-cut, relatively mainstream-attractive look buys me useful credibility at times. As for interests, mine just happened, but there's always been a part of me that finds it humorous how unstereotypical some of them are, and that part of me likes combining these elements with my religion wherever possible. For instance, perhaps you've seen them, there are these "Devil Ducky" things out now that basically are Satanic Rubber Duckies. A wonderful coming together of interests, I must say, as is the "I Rub My Ducky" 'personal massager,' and the fact that Soft Cell (a fave tacky 80's band) is partly the work of CoS member Marc Almond (from what I've heard, anyway, though I liked "Tainted Love" long beforehand).

--The Royal Me

#17293 - 12/15/03 10:41 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Shylock Offline

That book collection sounds interesting. As a child, I was always fascinated by scifi/fantasy and suspense films which told of hidden passageways and secrets in the cellars of old houses, and have always loved secret compartments in things. When I was younger, I had to keep on my toes about some of my interests because of nosy and not-too-approving parents. I actually put together a hidden compartment in the bathroom behind a false drawer facade (to clarify, the cabinets have a wooden panel resembling a drawer under where the sink is, because there's no room for an actual drawer there; but there is a space behind the panel that can hold a few books and things). Likewise, I've hidden objects in floor vents, potted plants, and all sorts of other places.

--The Royal Me

#17294 - 12/16/03 01:32 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
RobertE Offline

Loc: Michigan
there are these "Devil Ducky" things out now that basically are Satanic Rubber Duckies.

Mine is sitting on top of my monitor warding off spam, virii, and old men pretending to be young lustful women.
There is no Hank. You are Karl. Make your own list as you see fit. Eat as many wieners as you want, any way you want, even with a large group of consenting individuals if you want! Take pride in your wiener-eating. Make up large, elaborate ceremonies revolving around the kissing of your own ass, having them photographed and videotaped by the media if possible.

#17295 - 12/16/03 07:35 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
SmiteAllGods Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I think that just BEING yourself is good enough. Just be conservative enough not to show all about yourself is good. Being a Satanist does not require one to be an asshole. Like Todd_Pope said before, one can be nice person but still be a satanist. It would be our own choice to be a nice person, not for an incentive that isn't there, but for our own gratification/free will.

I enjoy looking up at the sky, or driving down the countryside watching everything out there. I also enjoy walking quietly around the city at around 3 and 4 am, just scaring the hell out of gangster-wanna-be's. No one would miss them if some went missing either....

#17296 - 12/24/03 05:02 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My hobbie is self analysis, and the ability to always try and attach a definition to what is dark and what is not. I have always held to the opinion that being dark isn't measured or defined by a collection of dark garments or black make-up. Its a state of mind, where you reinvent yourself through the evelution of your inner identity.

"Earth may have lost a great philosopher but hell has gained a new leader." -Anon

#17297 - 12/28/03 03:03 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

ahh, my first post!..

Well, I happen to collect Nintendo games etc.. The old 8-bit NES, not the newer stuff. I do this because it takes me back to when I was a child. The aesthetic design of the console, games and accessories is still amazing and beautiful, nothing else comes close. The marketing magic of Nintendo was amazing, and very effective. What could be more Satanic? When I was young, the NES was much more than a fun toy: it was a status symbol. It was very important to own one. It was so 'cool', that many non-game items were linked to the Nintendo scheme, such as candy shaped like a GameBoy, etc. Why? Why was that important? Because of the marketing. The gimmicks. There was Nintendo cereal. Nintendo cartoons, clothes, shoes, candy, notebooks, etc.. I had very few games; they were expensive. Now, I can go buy 20 used games for the price that one used to cost! And I'm not just a 'nerd'; I enjoy the games as well.

I like to escape into the 80's in other ways too. With music and fashion, cars and women. It's because I associate these things with a more pure and happy time in my life. Before I had to grow up and face people like xtians and the politically correct. A time when I could listen to 'conflicting' things like Devo and Iron Maiden without being an outcast. My ECI, so to speak.

I also collect horrible movies. As in zombie movies and so on. I like the way Satan/dark forces are often portrayed in these. I like the cheap music. Some of these are meant to be scary, but are in fact mostly comical.

I collect horrible church items, such as Chick tracts. I sometimes find insane booklets at flea-markets. I have a book from an African Faith Healer, or 'Spiripathologist' - he claims that Satan causes all sickness by sending disease to humans from his 'secret underground demon-seed Satan radiological plants'. What could be more hillarious?

In general, I'm an odd-ball and try to find beauty in the mundane.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12173 Members
73 Forums
43940 Topics
405811 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements