Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#17253 - 12/11/03 12:47 PM "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
Within the SB and LaVey's other works, one occasionally encounters reference to the "Art of Misdirection." Essentially, this is his reference to habits, appearances, and interests that give their bearer an outwardly benign image--things like a matronly appearance, the ability to make cookies, interest in old songs, etc. These references are partly suggestions for individuals that have a naturally "wholesome" or innocent appearance. But beyond this, he also recommended the cultivation of such qualities, as they promote an aura of respectability alongside the "social outcast" status that Satanism entails to some extent. Arguably, such habits are also the mark of true individualism, in that obsessively "counter-cultural" types display herd conformity in their blanket denunciation of everything that does not appear 'radical' or whatever.

I have seen this phenomenon at work in myself and in other Satanists. In terms of my outward appearance, I try not to look like the stereotype, both because it makes it easier for people I share my religion with to get past the circulating myths, and because I don't look that great as a goth. As for hobbies, interests and habits, I don't actively try to cultivate them, but I find I have developed some that invite odd comments from those that know of my religious orientation--specifically, my rubber duck collection (there's more than ten), my tacky 80's music collection, and my love of Xmas bric-a-brac (mostly Santa Clauses; not Jesus & Co.).

I'm curious what sorts of oddball interests others on the board have developed, once they moved out of their respective Too-Dark-To-Be-Doing-That phases.

--The Royal Me

#17254 - 12/11/03 04:08 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some wierd hobbies I have, not wierd to me though, would be my book collection that I like to keep in the strangest places. I actually have part of my book collection in a giant loudspeaker that I used to use for playing in a band. I have to actually unscrew each screw by hand and take the cover off the speaker and take the book out each time I want to just read it. I like it though because it keeps everything neat and in order. Sure it takes more effort, it's just fun though.
Also I have a strange taste for my morning tea, I like to just put a few dashes of nutmeg in it so it tastes just right.
Well, those are my wierd, nutty hobbies.

#17255 - 12/11/03 05:07 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
bobstain Offline

Loc: A Marylander's Maryland
I collect my finger and toe nails. That's not so much of a hobbie, but I think it's fairly odd. I remember reading in my Guiness book about a man that died and when his room was being cleaned out a drawer filled with belly button lint was found. It was the largest collection of belly button lint in the world. Thus it was in the book. I wanted something crazy that someone could find after my death. But now it has become second nature that after every time I clip my finger and toe nails I slip it into the bottle. I've been doing it for about four years, and I have maybe 1/4 of an inch of an Italian Coke bottle filled. It's going to be a long trip.

I also carry around a four inch bolt that I found in front of the main building at my old high school. I put it in my pocket that day, and from then on every time I changed my pants, I never really had a place to put it in my room, so it went back in the pocket. That's been going on for about two years now, and I never go anywhere without my trusty bolt. I've never used it to harm anyone, it's just there. It's kind of my security blanked (sorta like Linus from Peanuts). I even took it with me when I went to the British Virgin Islands last Spring (tucked away tight in my luggage for the flights).

#17256 - 12/11/03 05:17 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I collect skulls, of all types.
It's always amusing to watch the faces of those who have not encountered them before
(My favourites are my rat skulls)

I'm also currently studying, shall we say, to be a Dominatrix.

#17257 - 12/11/03 05:31 PM The "coffee ritual"...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a very specific ratio for my coffee...which is not all that odd in the grand scheme of coffee-drinkers. Even the fact that the cup must not be refilled until it is empty for fear of upsetting the precious ratio is not really all that unusual. In fact, the ratio itself is why this little ism of mine became dubbed "the coffee ritual" by those close to me. I specifically require one cream and six sugar packets per cup of coffee...a few waitstaffers have made the mistake of upsetting this balance and have witnessed how puritanical I can be about it. Its not much of an oddity on the whole...at least I don't think so...that's just the way I like my coffee.

#17258 - 12/11/03 08:08 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Now THERE is a good hobby! Nothing like picking up on a little B&D to enhance one's sexual repertoire. I picked up a little shibari, which is Japanese rope-bondage. It's quite elegant when executed properly on a suitable model.

I myself enjoy working with leather, and have quite the talent for making all kinds of kinky toys for people that like to inflict pain as the make each other feel good. I guess one could consider that a 'hobby'... I used to make money off of it, until I moved to ultra-conservative Prudeville.

I also enjoy tormenting masochists. I enjoy all kinds of pranks, and the cornier and cheesier the better. They like it too, but they always give the impression of not liking it. So it twist the knife so to speak. It's fun.

I like to people watch too, although at times it makes me nauseous, and in some cases can be dangerous. It is largely a pointless time sink, like my videogames, but people watching is far less satisfying than my videogames. One in a while I get a really stimulating experience people watching, so it's kind of an encouragement to keep doing it.

Oh I also like to shoot old computers full of holes. It's very satisfying. Nothing beats a day at the range plinking old gutted Gateway cases.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#17259 - 12/11/03 08:47 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
SatanicSquid Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Bay, Ca
I collect model trains, modern (Marklin z) and Lionel Standard Gauge (Prewar, tinplate). The trains cause me to employ the art of misdirection more than help it. Wearing jeans and a Slayer T-shirt, creates a lot of attention at various train stores. It becomes hard to get a serious salesperson, just someone watching me making sure I don't steal something or break anything. It is quite entertaining when they realize I am a potential customer and not just some bum off the street. It even more fun when they realize I know more about them than they do.

I also fly r/c heli's. Once again a rather nerdy hobby. It also throw's people in the area for a spin. The heavy metal guy actually has a brain! It takes a lot of time and effort to assemble, maintain and fly them.

I find mostly both hobbies really screw up the people who know me but have never been to my house before the best. To walk in and there is the big scary guy running these old model trains from the 1920s around the house or sitting at the kitchen table, running these super small ones around it, really messes with there heads.

It takes awhile for me to warm up to people, so I don't talk a lot until I know them rather well, some get the impression that I'm not that bright. I love to see the look in there eyes when they see me working on one of my heli's. Hundreds of little bits and pieces everywhere, a jumbled mess of wires and electronics. Invariably I get asked, "Do you know what your doing," or, "did you put that much together by yourself?" As they say this I can see their eyes looking around franticly for the instructions, that are put away in a box in the corner. Then I can watch their eye's widen again as they realize just how badly they have misjudged me!
When you are going to do a miracle for an ignorant race, you want to get in every detail that will count; you want to make all the properties impressive to the public eye; you want to make matters comfortable for your head guest; then you can turn yourself loose and play your effects for all they are worth. You can't throw to much style into a miracle. It costs trouble, and work, and sometimes money; but it pays in the end.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurthur's Court
Mark Twain

#17260 - 12/11/03 10:06 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
mastiva Offline
CoS Member

I collect Scooby Doo memorabilia, Troma movies, and I have an extensive collection of Final Fantasy 8 toys. I have a bit of LoTR memorabilia as well.

I wouldn't say I'm like you in trying to detract attention from people. I don't really care about any negativities people may have about my look, but then I found that with age and little more taste than I had as a teenager, people generally respect me. The world is changing in regards to people having biases based on looks. As a matter of fact, I think the world got over the biases, then we could each live in our own total environment on a daily basis. I think that could be a whole other subject .

So where that leads is to my interests - I get very artistic with everything. Clothing, hair, the decor of my abode. Even my bookshelf is arranged to be colorful and varied in arrangement. However, everything has it's aesthetic, the books are ordered by subject, my hair is attractively burgundy with red highlights, rather than blue. So the general appearance of everything is kind of of interest/obsession to me.

I also have interests in gematria, photography (visual of course), and play/screen writing.

#17261 - 12/11/03 11:01 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's actully funny but I'm that person that holds the door for the little old lady coming into my store, I do not project a "satanic" image at all at work or out in my everyday life until the word "god" comes into play. then of course I politely ask if anyone desires true input about his "great saviour of man" and let them have a heaping helping of diabolic philosophy times ten.

As for hobbies, I collect all kids of shit, old thrash and speed metal on cassette, CD, DVD's, 7" records, Baseball cards, and recently I took up a few new interests, seeing how much music gear I can amass before 2005 and at the rate I'm going I think I'm going to be sinking another $30,000 into my studio before long. Seeing how many music projects I can undertake before I mentally snap, I like to know my limitations and right now there is never enough on my plate cause I'm never too busy to take on another musical task.

#17262 - 12/11/03 11:17 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I'm curious about what do you think "projecting a satanic image" means.

#17263 - 12/11/03 11:27 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose my oddball collections are of foo dogs, eggs, and plastic turtles. I also have a small collection of sculptures of Mary that were given to me by the artist; they are quite serene and beatuiful pieces of work. I also like to collect snake and dragon figures as well. I have recently developed a keen interest in shackles and irons from the medieval times, so my collection on that has just begun.

#17264 - 12/12/03 12:14 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>But beyond this, he also recommended the cultivation of
>>such qualities, as they promote an aura of respectability
>>alongside the "social outcast" status that Satanism entails
>>to some extent. [Ginger]

I've found that one sure sign of social respectability is getting respect from middle-aged or eldery people, despite being under 30, long-haired, and unmarried. Most recently I've been achieving this with my knowledge and appreciation for comedy of past decades. I've talked with a few senior citizens whose eyes light up when I, a man under 30 who's hardly clean-cut, mention names like Jack Benny, the Marx Brothers, Amos & Andy, Milton Bearle, Red Skelton, and Henny Youngman. I'll hear them say how much they love such "clean" comedy, and express their disgust towards such "dirty" stand-up comedians of today.

Still, I don't know who's more shocked: the old people when they I find out that I additionally love acts like Sam Kinison and George Carlin, or the young people when they find out that I own two Marx Brothers movies. One group insists that comedy isn't funny if it has swearing, the other group insists that comedy demands swearing or shock humor. Oh well.

>I collect skulls, of all types. [...] I'm also currently studying,
>shall we say, to be a Dominatrix. [Ms_Ava_Jinx]

In other words, you don't have the traits that Ginger was asking about?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#17265 - 12/12/03 01:05 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Anonymous
Unregistered

I collect skulls as well (i have one and a half human skulls - the rest are wolf, goat, steer, deer, horse, rat and ram). i collect old punk vinyl (Black Flag, X, Misfits), and i also collect artwork (from Coop, Kozik, Clive Barker, Jason Beam, and our very own CoffinRust). I have many originals framed about my home, and am always saving for more.

Ms. Ava - i was a professional Dominatrix in my later twenties up until a few years ago (now i tattoo , i pretty much make the same money doing this, and finally am putting my artistic ability to use). You, my dear, will make a fabulous Dominatrix (imho).

cheers-
patti

#17266 - 12/12/03 01:29 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
sCara Offline

I collect (more like horde) all sorts of things..

Music.. anything of quality from Robert Johnson to The Damned. I love vinyl (7" and shaped especially).

Movies.. anything from twisted as all hell Japanese slasher fun to Christian Scare propoganda to kids shows from around the world, all with an odd slant, a'course.

Books.. older children's books to first editions of LaVey's writings (I recently acquired an immaculate paperback copy of The Compleat Witch for about $30.. *pats self on back*)

Toys.. be they for sexual fun or old Munsters squeak toys that were meant for one's pet dog back in the 60's.

Older Advertisements.. My current favorite is an old magazine ad of Vincent Price for Tilex..

Coffins, antique embalming tools, bones, carcass art, sideshow memorabilia, Day of the Dead, classic horror, Shag, nuns, rosaries, serial killer stuffs, recipes, 50's era domestic guides and beauty how-to's, antique silver serving ware, quality nudie cutie stuffs, vintage alcohol prints, Kewpie dolls..

A few pitch-ers..

#17267 - 12/12/03 03:11 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Besides the ordinary CD, movie and book collections I have a blade collection.

K-bar, Smith & Wesson, and Buck are a few of the brand names I usually go for (Especially Buck, they have a factory in San Diego county. If I break mine they will replace it for free and they do good professional sharpening too). I have a couple of foldable blades (the ones you flip to lock in place), some nice two sided cutting blades, some combat knives, throwing knives (I'm pretty good at using them), and my favorite piece, my Katana. I had some butterfly knives but I lost them in a fire.

I've been wanting a medieval boardsword and a battle-ax to add to my collection. I would love it if they both have been used in actual combat. It would be worth the extra amount of money.

I also have a fetish of collecting panties of old girlfriends. Each girl I have had a sexual relationship with I've asked for a pair of their panties. They usually don't seem to mind. There was one girl that thought I was a complete psycho.

It doesn't matter if they are clean or dirty. Well, not too dirty.

Maybe that is a little weird but it's just something I do and I like.

Oh, I also love astronomy and cosmology.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#17268 - 12/12/03 03:16 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Bumbly3 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Midlands UK
Before I got to grips with myself and stopped smoking once and for all. I had this great idea that I should keep my hands busy. So I taught myself how to knit, crochet, tat and crewel embroidery. I now consider myself fairly competent with all of those skills. But instead of helping me stop, they caused me to buy even more fags because they used to just burn away in the ash tray.
I have a collection of Edwardian hat pins, and a collection of singles that have to be seen to be believed. A couple of examples are "CinderellaRockafella by Ester and Abi Ofarim, and The Kalin Twins singing When.
However here's the real shocker. I play on Neopets.

#17269 - 12/12/03 03:51 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: sCara]
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
Seems you live in a museum, sCara.
But I have a question: Why did you place Dr.LaVey in the toys section between two of Frankenstein's monsters?

#17270 - 12/12/03 05:05 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Philidae Offline
CoS Member

I love medieval history, specifically, architecture and art history.

I also collect human glass eyes, but that doesn't exactly help with the misdirection.

Oh yes, I sew. Mostly medieval costumes and oddball accessories. I'm currently working on a pair of modernized-victorian spats.

#17271 - 12/12/03 05:38 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Bill_M]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
As for me, old people's eyes light up whenever I mention music, and they begin to complain about today's ditties, and I often join them.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#17272 - 12/12/03 05:38 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Bill_M]
Sarracenia Offline
CoS Member

I've found that one sure sign of social respectability is getting respect from middle-aged or eldery people

I agree. This is especially true when it comes to teenagers.

To reply to the original post:

First and foremost, I look older than my age. I am seventeen, but people always think I am twenty to thirty years old. (Quite frankly, I think the people who say I look thirty are bullshitting.) The advantages of this are obvious and need not be said.

The majority of the people I met agree wholeheartedly that I look like a total sourpuss. Strangers who get to know me tell me that they were initially reluctant to talk to me because I look like I am about to either hang myself or the rest of the world. This confused me for I do not intend to look like or even really feel like a sourpuss. But I have come to accept it. It acts as a stratifier. Chatty strangers stay away, and only those with a purpose come to talk to me.

My hobbies and interests are both dorky and slutty. I am the kind who reads a lot and stays at home to do the laundry on Saturday nights. My current obsession are hermit crabs. I have thirteen of them and at the rate I am amassing them, I'll be in the triple digits very soon. On the other hand, I collect sex toys and tawdry clothing. I can rattle off a catalogue of perversions, fetishes and things that make people puke as if I was reading the phone book. My friends always say, "Any conversation with her is going to end up in sex."

Edited by Sarracenia (12/12/03 05:43 PM)

ToV

#17273 - 12/12/03 05:44 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: sCara]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, that's a pretty nifty collection. I like the dolls and the cat's eyes look neat.

#17274 - 12/12/03 11:14 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I have a teddy bear.

It's not a hobby, just a fact.

#17275 - 12/12/03 11:16 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Bill_M]
mastiva Offline
CoS Member

Along the elderly line, I've had many of my customers offer me their grandchildren in matrimony . I also had some very strange advice from some that told me I really really should find a nice jewish boy! They put it "He'd take care of ya".

Many old men find some things about me shocking, yet enjoy it immensely. I get alot of comments on my tongue ring from elderly men, and they usually aren't grossed out - rather, they find it quite arousing. I had one conversation recently where this old man (old being about 70) said to his companions that piercings were disgusting. And then the other old men asked "What about them in other places?" And the man abruptly looked at me and said "Do You have piercings anywhere else??" To which I blushed and looked away. These men are now regular customers of mine!

Older people aren't all that biased after all. You just can't be an asshole like most youths are today.

#17276 - 12/13/03 03:47 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Jack_Bauer]
sCara Offline

I'm running out of space! Good eye though, I really do need all of my Dr. LaVey stuff all together in one spot..

And thank you, Abraxas.. That's our little Kali squirrel mouse kitty.. She plays fetch..

#17277 - 12/13/03 07:28 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Occassionally, I dress in formal clothing and go to the Casino where I hang out with other middle-aged women and play the poker machines.

#17278 - 12/13/03 04:23 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: sCara]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
My cat plays fetch as well. He loves twist ties and brings them to me to throw for him.

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#17279 - 12/13/03 06:41 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: toad]
sCara Offline

*happy claps*

Kali has a preference for the li'l pompoms that were on some of my slipper socks. Boris (our big Franken-kitty) tears 'em up most times, so we had to get her a bigbigbig buncha pompoms from the craft section. She likes 'em alright, but it just isn't the same for her..

#17280 - 12/13/03 06:49 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
GoldenCalf Offline

Loc: Huntsville, Alabama
My outward appearance most closely resembles that of a typical semi-redneck college slob (though I personally hate it, and am giving up on it in favor of a more refined, clean-cut image), which seems the best way to win the trust of others in this part of the country. As for "weird hobbies," I guess you could count my interest in classic country music and pinball.
"I am elite because I am not on welfare. I am elite because I ritually sacrificed my television set and bombed a McDonald's. I am perfect. I'm the REAL Satanist here, and you're just a useless pathetic piece of shit herdling. You disgust me." --the hopelessly ego-deprived jackass

#17281 - 12/13/03 06:54 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Shiva Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I've been forcing myself to smile more often to throw people off-guard. Let's face it, I have pale skin and long black hair... I look like the stereotype villianous character.

Weird hobbies or collections, meaning things that people generally don't expect from the likes of me....

I collect Real Musgrave Pocket Dragons, or at least I used to until the quality of the workmanship went downhill after Musgrave started becoming popular. They are adorable by most standards, and aren't exactly something people would figure me to be fond of.

I like doing crafts and home improvement projects (big surprise there), although I do look a bit out of place at the hardware store next to all the contractors and whatnot. I think some of the employees get a kick out of watching me scurrying around for supplies and looking at power tools. I know they get a kick out of asking the dangerous question: "So, what are you working on now?" I don't hesitate to tell them.

"The ugliest of trades have their moments of pleasure. Now, if I were a grave-digger, or even a hangman, there are some people I could work for with a great deal of enjoyment." - Douglas Jerrold

#17282 - 12/13/03 07:15 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: GoldenCalf]
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Funny...that's me, too. I used to have the same dressing habits as apparently everyone else in college, but I've been phasing out the t-shirts and cargo pants in favor of slacks/khakis and dress shirts over the last couple of months. People now ask me every other day what occasion I'm dressing up for.

As for non-"Satanic" tastes, I've been into 80s pop music for a while, and I really like pictures of angels - not the little cute ones with their harps, but the smite-with-a-flaming-sword archangel types (Diablo II, anyone?)

#17283 - 12/14/03 12:09 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Old_Pig]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really ought to calrify what I mean before I say anything more.
The "satanic image" I refer to is the conditioned image that society beilieves a "satanist" is to have, i.e, balck clothes, work the graveyard shift, kill puppies and get into trouble type of image.lifestyle......a counterproductive lifestyle so to speak. Basically society has the "misdirected or misinterpreted media view" of satanism, one that I do not fit, neither do any of the rest of these fine people on the board including yourself. Some of us work day jobs, others prefer nights, some do not need to work. When all is said and done though, society will sitll never understand what a satanist truly is though because no explanation will ever be good enough. Those that get it need no explanation, those that do.....no one explanation will ever be good enough.

Hail!

Edited by Todd_Pope (12/14/03 12:12 AM)

#17284 - 12/14/03 12:59 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Sammael Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Detroit, MI
Quote:

my tacky 80's music collection

Hair bands I assume?
I'm HUGE on the hair bands - Motley (my fav), Poison, Queensryche, Warrant, Skid Row, etc (just to name a few). A number of people have mentioned that it "just doesn't fit in with the rest of my personality."
What?? The tall bald man in black and a trench coat can't like 80's butt-rock?

#17285 - 12/14/03 09:02 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Felstorm]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It has long been a dream of mine, so I'm glad I recently took the plunge and went for it.

I get a great deal of satisfaction from it all

#17286 - 12/14/03 09:07 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Anonymous
Unregistered

*big smiles* Thank you Ms (tress) Strega

I shall have to PM you at some point, I'm interested to know your own personal techniques.

#17287 - 12/14/03 12:29 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
RomanLions Offline

Loc: Wooster, OH
I love the puzzled looks I get when people mistake my dark outfits, pale skin, and black hair for some kind of vampire wanna-be, and they find I'm not what they expect.
I love NFL football, and I can dominate and dispose of any argument concerning my favorite team. The mindless rednecks who half-heartedly venture into a discourse on this subject find themselves outmatched by me, and the spectacle that ensues usually raises more than a few eyebrows.
I love board games too. My favorites are Risk, and Stratego, but I'll settle happily into Scrabble, or any of the Milton Bradley classics. My wife, and I are amassing quite a stack of them. We have hooked my eleven year-old neice into our affinity for them, and for a kid who has a playstation 2, and an X-box I think that's a rather remarkable feat these days.

#17288 - 12/14/03 11:41 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I probably appear to the the opposite of someone you would generally consider a Satanist. I'm 18, but I've been interested in Satanism for a few years, and never did go through that black/goth phase.

I have highly eclectic tastes in everything. My music taste ranges from old hippy music, to indie rock, to folk, to death metal. It sure confuses people when I can switch between listening to Simon and Garfunkel to In Flames. I dress pretty a-typical also. I have more clothes than I know what to do with, most are scored from second hand stores, and I've never seen someone else wearing the same thing as me.

I'm also love lots of movies, and am known to enjoy a good animation from time to time. My room is purple, and full of books, and plants, and bright colorful things I collect when I travel.
I just end up collecting things that I think are attractive, and what I listen to and how I dress is not dictated by anyone. But it's not the stereotypical Satanist style, so it confuses the hell out of people, and I've never had a person be able to guess I was a Satanist. But then again, I'm the only one in town that I know of.

#17289 - 12/15/03 12:12 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

I hope you enjoy learning about it as much as I did.

It really does give you an inner perspective upon which alot of people have fantasies. Yet is so sad that surprisingly few people are willing to indulge in that delicious exchange of power. In some cases I don't see much difference between the Ritual Chamber and the Bed Chamber.

Ah that glorious "suspension" of disbelief that lasts all to exstaticly short some times. Pun intended. Ha!

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

#17290 - 12/15/03 12:19 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Don't change a thing that is just exactly what it's all about. You are more 'satanic' than most I've run across IRL.

Keep it up! We need more outstanding individuals. Even if they are low-profile.

Are You One of Us?

#17291 - 12/15/03 10:23 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Sammael]
Shylock Offline

Some hair bands make the cut, including some of what you mentioned. But mostly I am a fan of techno-pop and new wave, a la Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Duran Duran, and related bands. I'm also a big 80's/early 90's Madonna fan (i.e., before she tried to look as though she had 'depth')

--The Royal Me

#17292 - 12/15/03 10:34 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: mastiva]
Shylock Offline

Actually, my appearance was designed more for the purpose of making me look good rather than to project an "unSatanic" image to throw people off--I went through a goth phase, but it really did nothing for me. I do however enjoy the fact that my clean-cut, relatively mainstream-attractive look buys me useful credibility at times. As for interests, mine just happened, but there's always been a part of me that finds it humorous how unstereotypical some of them are, and that part of me likes combining these elements with my religion wherever possible. For instance, perhaps you've seen them, there are these "Devil Ducky" things out now that basically are Satanic Rubber Duckies. A wonderful coming together of interests, I must say, as is the "I Rub My Ducky" 'personal massager,' and the fact that Soft Cell (a fave tacky 80's band) is partly the work of CoS member Marc Almond (from what I've heard, anyway, though I liked "Tainted Love" long beforehand).

--The Royal Me

#17293 - 12/15/03 10:41 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Shylock Offline

That book collection sounds interesting. As a child, I was always fascinated by scifi/fantasy and suspense films which told of hidden passageways and secrets in the cellars of old houses, and have always loved secret compartments in things. When I was younger, I had to keep on my toes about some of my interests because of nosy and not-too-approving parents. I actually put together a hidden compartment in the bathroom behind a false drawer facade (to clarify, the cabinets have a wooden panel resembling a drawer under where the sink is, because there's no room for an actual drawer there; but there is a space behind the panel that can hold a few books and things). Likewise, I've hidden objects in floor vents, potted plants, and all sorts of other places.

--The Royal Me

#17294 - 12/16/03 01:32 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
RobertE Offline

Loc: Michigan
there are these "Devil Ducky" things out now that basically are Satanic Rubber Duckies.

Mine is sitting on top of my monitor warding off spam, virii, and old men pretending to be young lustful women.
There is no Hank. You are Karl. Make your own list as you see fit. Eat as many wieners as you want, any way you want, even with a large group of consenting individuals if you want! Take pride in your wiener-eating. Make up large, elaborate ceremonies revolving around the kissing of your own ass, having them photographed and videotaped by the media if possible.

#17295 - 12/16/03 07:35 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
SmiteAllGods Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I think that just BEING yourself is good enough. Just be conservative enough not to show all about yourself is good. Being a Satanist does not require one to be an asshole. Like Todd_Pope said before, one can be nice person but still be a satanist. It would be our own choice to be a nice person, not for an incentive that isn't there, but for our own gratification/free will.

I enjoy looking up at the sky, or driving down the countryside watching everything out there. I also enjoy walking quietly around the city at around 3 and 4 am, just scaring the hell out of gangster-wanna-be's. No one would miss them if some went missing either....

#17296 - 12/24/03 05:02 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My hobbie is self analysis, and the ability to always try and attach a definition to what is dark and what is not. I have always held to the opinion that being dark isn't measured or defined by a collection of dark garments or black make-up. Its a state of mind, where you reinvent yourself through the evelution of your inner identity.

"Earth may have lost a great philosopher but hell has gained a new leader." -Anon

#17297 - 12/28/03 03:03 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

ahh, my first post!..

Well, I happen to collect Nintendo games etc.. The old 8-bit NES, not the newer stuff. I do this because it takes me back to when I was a child. The aesthetic design of the console, games and accessories is still amazing and beautiful, nothing else comes close. The marketing magic of Nintendo was amazing, and very effective. What could be more Satanic? When I was young, the NES was much more than a fun toy: it was a status symbol. It was very important to own one. It was so 'cool', that many non-game items were linked to the Nintendo scheme, such as candy shaped like a GameBoy, etc. Why? Why was that important? Because of the marketing. The gimmicks. There was Nintendo cereal. Nintendo cartoons, clothes, shoes, candy, notebooks, etc.. I had very few games; they were expensive. Now, I can go buy 20 used games for the price that one used to cost! And I'm not just a 'nerd'; I enjoy the games as well.

I like to escape into the 80's in other ways too. With music and fashion, cars and women. It's because I associate these things with a more pure and happy time in my life. Before I had to grow up and face people like xtians and the politically correct. A time when I could listen to 'conflicting' things like Devo and Iron Maiden without being an outcast. My ECI, so to speak.

I also collect horrible movies. As in zombie movies and so on. I like the way Satan/dark forces are often portrayed in these. I like the cheap music. Some of these are meant to be scary, but are in fact mostly comical.

I collect horrible church items, such as Chick tracts. I sometimes find insane booklets at flea-markets. I have a book from an African Faith Healer, or 'Spiripathologist' - he claims that Satan causes all sickness by sending disease to humans from his 'secret underground demon-seed Satan radiological plants'. What could be more hillarious?

In general, I'm an odd-ball and try to find beauty in the mundane.

#17298 - 12/28/03 05:38 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

New (ish) here so this is my first post...so first of all greetings every body..
My hobbies are collecting old technical/instruction manuals for thingsd like video recorders/games consols/synthersisers,and practicing the cold reading/mind reading - have spent a lot of time researching all the old (and few new ruses).

Also I think Dr.LaVey probalbly drew some of his inspiration for his ideas about misdirection from the old conjurors and 'psychics'. basically get someone to look at one thing while do another thing leading them to think that some thing else altogether has happened. This principle can also be used with time (timed Misdirection) which is a bit like setting a little tme bomb that is going to click in somenes mind leading them to experience some 'amazing' quality you have....its all so sneeky

R.

#17299 - 12/28/03 10:56 PM I'm a natural [Re: Shylock]
Frequency Offline

Loc: Montreal
Asperger's Syndrome

Symptom #2265

Love of all things strange, including train schedules and other totaly random things.
As for me... Just about the strangest heavy metal you can come across, is also my favourite. Wormphlegm is 30min worth of what sounds like someone being tortured, as a single song. Sparse drumming, and few changes in melody. Probably the wierdest thing I listen to though is Angizia, take female soprano, male tenor, piano, violin, and throw in some accordion, guitar and black metal growls just for shits and giggles and you got yourself a band.
I won't talk all day but I just wanted to point out I'm far from conventional, and it's completely natural lol

#17300 - 12/31/03 01:49 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Shylock Offline

"I collect horrible church items, such as Chick tracts. I sometimes find insane booklets at flea-markets. I have a book from an African Faith Healer, or 'Spiripathologist' - he claims that Satan causes all sickness by sending disease to humans from his 'secret underground demon-seed Satan radiological plants'. What could be more hillarious? "

My militant Atheist BF collects Chick tracts too, and occasionally attends Baptist Revival-type meetings and all-you-can-eat Church Buffets. If you're interested in this kind of stuff, try to get a hold of a CPA catalogue (CPA=Christian Patriot's Association, or something like that). Its filled with books on the topics like "The Plague of Secular Humanism," the Illuminati, how the Jews are trying to enslave mankind, etc., along with survivalist books and questionable tomes on how to commit felonies (I swear there was a book called "Secrets of Armed Robbery"). Reading book titles from it aloud while drunk is quite amusing. Not to mention, they include all sorts of pamphlets if you order one, my favorite being the sheet of paper with the Ten Commandments on one side and "Is America Communist?" on the other. You can probably order one online somehow; I got mine by obtaining a copy of the Protocols via third-party on Amazon.com (for research on anti-Semitism).

--The Royal Me

#17301 - 12/31/03 02:28 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
I have a growing collection of GG Allin memorabilia. I believe GG, in spite of his massive heroin addiction and obsession with suicide, had some very Satanic qualities. That and he was incredibly funny. My current collection:

CD's
Freaks, Faggots, Drunks, and Junkies
You Give Love A Bad Name
Hated In The Nation
Brutality And Bloodshed For All
Carnival Of Excess (His country album, anyone who claims GG had no talent has not heard this.)
7" record with the Carolina Shitkickers: Layin' Up With Linda
"GG Allin Rules Hell" t-shirt
Hated documentary and his last show on DVD
Shows on VHS:
The Jane Whitney show 6/23/93
Milwaukee, 2/28/89
Santa Barbara, 9/25/91
San Antonio, 2/16/92
Austin, 2/18/92
Portland, 5/28/93
Youngstown, Ohio, 5/12/93
And the book "I Was A Murder Junkie: The Last Days Of GG Allin" by Evan Cohen, signed by the author.

Once I get some more money, I'm going to put it towards getting an autographed GG item from Ebay.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#17302 - 12/31/03 02:38 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
Anonymous
Unregistered

it is funny that i came upn this thread today just after rereading "Cloths make the Slave". (in The Devil's Notebook)

as to answer your question, i have found that having grown beyond whatever genres or subcultures i may have once associated myself with, i have become more free then ever before, both in style, and in hobbies. also, i have never before had friends from such a vast variety of backgrounds and styles.

i too share your love for "cheesy 80s music", and among other things, i have quite a collection of various jackets and scarves of all different types and colors.

Edited by CitizenG (12/31/03 02:43 PM)

#17304 - 01/07/04 11:25 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Quaark]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gumby is great.. I remember an episode where Pokey was mangled in a Ferris Wheel.. that show is realy twisted sometimes.. about the tracts n stuff: my parents have a ton of whack Pat Buchanen books and stuff like that.. 'exposing the gay/nazi conspiracy'.. no shit.. really.. I have an episode of Bibleman (did I mention that already?) and a nice video about the evils of rock/metal.. it has some good concert footage, heh.. I also like Godzilla..

#17305 - 01/09/04 01:26 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies
Stanton_Vetalas Offline

Loc: Teh 518
Quote:

New (ish) here so this is my first post...so first of all greetings every body..

Same here. Anyways, my weird hobbies/weird habbits:
I like to have several types of the same appliance (two TV's, two keyboards, mouses, monitors, fans, three pairs of speakers...)
I think up and write down new ways to organize things in my room (It's extremely messy, but when I clean I do it a new, planned way each time)
I collect misc. vinyls and tapes
I buy tons of tapes and vinyls but only download albums that aren't released on vinyl (ofcourse there's exceptions to that. I buy tons of cds, mostly second hand ones)
I buy atleast two albums I've never heard before every sunday (Student discount day at Last Vestige Second Hand Music ) based on how they look/packaging
I shave the hair off the bottom of my legs where my socks cover

#393464 - 08/31/09 11:45 PM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: Shylock]
goddamn devil Offline

Loc: ohio
my hobbies r:collecting and reading books, love to take pictures, love to take night walks in the woods, like my tats (22 so far). cook, kung fu, and most of all, i fuck w/ people at church. they think that i'm a born again christian, (
i lost my job last x-mas and had to come up w/ money for my children's x-mas, played the game, church paid well...it was pretty fun. and when im up there leading the sheep to the slaughter i feel very good bout myself, but then again im a freak like that.
i am the captian of my soul.

#393477 - 09/01/09 01:49 AM Re: "Misdirection" and weird hobbies [Re: goddamn devil]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Thanks for letting us know...five years after we stopped talking about the topic. crazy

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12011 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405204 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements