Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#173130 - 06/23/06 11:33 PM Quick...cover that symbol !!
MrHarris Offline

Loc: Canada N.B.
I chuckled today at work. I had brought 'The Devil's Notebook' by Anton LaVey to work with me and while it was on the desk my co-worker entered the room. He's a pretty open minded fellow and quite intelligent so I offered him this book to read (which I've mentioned to him before). So he said okay then as we were leaving the room with the book still lying on the table with the cover facing up and this red baphomet symbol exposed in plain view he suddenly jumps back in the room while the door is closing and flips the book over and covers it with another sheet of paper that was lying close by. He comes out and says, "I don't want people to think that were sacrifing anything back there" while he laughed like he truely could by chance lose his career over a book. Well, I laughed and then I felt bad for him which in turn made me chuckle . I'm really curious and excited to see what he thinks about the book.

#173131 - 06/24/06 12:12 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: MrHarris]
melektaus8 Offline

Loc: Michigan.
It's a well known fact that Satanism, or the misconceptions about it, threaten people.

If you care about keeping your job, I would suggest keeping your affiliation under wraps.

All it would take is for one conflict or misunderstanding between you and your friend and I'm quite sure things could turn out differently.

Be smart!

MDW
"Those who are physically and mentally unhealthy and unfit must not perpetuate their sufferings in the bodies of their children. Through educational means the State must teach individuals that illness is not a disgrace but a misfortune for which people are to be pitied, yet at the same time that it is a crime and a disgrace to make this affliction the worse by passing it on to innocent creatures out of a merely egotistic yearning" - Adolf Hitler

http://www.woodharrow.com

#173132 - 06/24/06 12:29 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: melektaus8]
MrHarris Offline

Loc: Canada N.B.
It's not really in that realm where worry is a concern or fear of my job but thanks for the pep talk...that's nice of you. Seriously though I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the input.

#173133 - 06/24/06 01:11 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: melektaus8]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Canada
Quote:

It's a well known fact that Satanism, or the misconceptions about it, threaten people.

Especially in the very Catholic Province of New Brunswick.
Undercroft Sign Up

#173134 - 06/24/06 05:55 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: melektaus8]
DarkApollyon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Brighton, England
Quote:

Yes, I had an experience of this only yesterday, and it was a sharp reminder that even if you think you know someone fairly well it is not always possible to predict someone's reactions to this kind of thing....

The woman (in her mid 40s) who lives in the flat underneath mine (and who has done so for several years) was in my flat, primarily to discuss plumbing problems due to a leaking pipe under my kitchen sink. I speak to her on a regular basis and have always thought of her as fairly laid back, intellegent and open-minded.

Anyway, yesterday she saw my inverted pentagram tattoo, and this, coupled with the fact I have a sign reading 'Satan's kitchen' on the kitchen door, started her off on "Oh my God you're not into all that Satanic-devilworshipping-blackmagic thing for real are you? Please tell me you only like the imagery, etc etc.

I was slightly taken aback by this as I had not expected this kind of reaction from her, so, although I don't like doing it, I denied any Satanic connections, as it is in my interest to maintain good relations with her!

As the conversation continued it came out that she is a Christian 'who should go to church more' and can't/won't differentiate between Satanism/devil worship/Wicca/Pagans/other new age bullshittery.

I think I may have managed to convince her that actually I'm just a Goth/metalhead who like those kind of 'Satanic trappings', but only for purely aesthetic reasons, but only time will tell.

It's just lucky my copy of The Devil's Notebook wasn't sitting in the bathroom as it had been awhile before, or I could have had an even more difficult time of things!!!

#173135 - 06/24/06 06:01 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: MrHarris]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Last night, a colleague was asking for help from Me (as usual). She is very strongly Christian. I leant over My desk and hers, and was stretching to point to this and that on her computer monitor. In My stretching, not only was My "Beast" watch clearly visibly, but also My 666 tattoo on My forearm... That would have got quite a reacion if she'd have noticed it. Did she notice it? No, not in the slightest.

I do make an effort to keep things a little bit under-wrapss, although I am fairly laid-back about such things. I tend to accept that "It's Me" and that if something about My nature causes a problem, then it's an issue of responsibility tot he responsible, and I am prepared to deal with the consequences accordingly.

#173136 - 06/24/06 06:01 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: melektaus8]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
I personally don't care what people think or say. If they've known me for an extended period it shouldn't matter who or what I am. If they find out at a later time or date I am a Satanist, it should not shock or take them back. If they react negatively, fuck 'em, they were never worth my time anyway. The only exception here is if I am plying my craft to enchant or gain something. Logically in this instance I would portray whatever image pleases that person. Now, in the instance of the workplace, well this isn't the kind of stuff you talk about at work anyway.

Edited by lefthandbybirth (06/24/06 06:12 AM)

#173137 - 06/24/06 08:24 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: Mr_47]
ink_collector Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Being from Oklahoma, I can attest that it is NOT in one's best interest to openly voice a Satanic affiliation. From this perspective, I say leave your Satanic Bible home....

#173138 - 06/24/06 09:38 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: ink_collector]
Thirsted Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Very true. Seven other people besides myself are located in the office in which I work and it is not uncommon to hear discussions about church, praying, and recent lessons learned through the "Holy Spirit." At one time, the overhead speakers in one of our bank lobbies was tuned in to a local Christian radio station. I don't know if this is done routinely or not, but nevertheless, it would not be in my best interest to discuss religion whatsoever.

#173139 - 06/24/06 11:03 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: MrHarris]
WolfMoon Offline

That is funny that some people cannot get passed silly superstitions and propaganda. Unfortunately, they still make up most of the flock. I would suggest keeping your Satanic beliefs outside of the office. There is no problem speaking to someone you think might be interested, but sometimes revealing yourself can work against you.

#173140 - 06/24/06 11:55 AM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: DarkApollyon]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
And here you illustrate a very important concept.

Previously, you found her to be laid back and intelligent.

There are some things so deeply rooted in certain regions of the human psyche, that if you invoke them, normally laid-back, open-minded, and intelligent people will transform utterly before your eyes. Satan is one of those things.

Nothing and nobody can make a cynical atheist dust off his old childhood crucifix and start gibbering like a nervous capuchin monkey quite like Satan.

Of course, on the bright side, I have been in situations where people actually reacted better than I'd anticipated. But, you have to be very careful with these matters.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#173141 - 06/24/06 05:12 PM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: TrojZyr]
Lust Offline

Quote:

Of course, on the bright side, I have been in situations where people actually reacted better than I'd anticipated. But, you have to be very careful with these matters.

Careful indeed. I think it depends on how much of the meme
has controll of it's host. I have been researching memes for some
time now and how they affect people. A meme (rhymes with 'dream') may be defined as any self-referential belief system which contains within itself the instructions for its own propagation.

A lot of anthropologists, sociologists and philosophers, have recently dismissed all religions as memes.
I however would not call Satanism a meme. Reason being Satanist do not proseltize, and there are no threats of hell or promises of heaven attached to practicing Satanism.

Christianity and Islam are both highly competitive and successful memes.

Quote:

Nothing and nobody can make a cynical atheist dust off his old childhood crucifix and start gibbering like a nervous capuchin monkey quite like Satan.

Agreed.

Hail Satan!

Edited by Tier_Instinct (06/24/06 05:22 PM)
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#173142 - 06/24/06 06:02 PM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: MrHarris]
Lust Offline

Has your friend read any of Anton LaVey's books?
You have peaked my interest.
Do let us know what he has to say about The Devils Notebook. I am curious to see if he can understand any of Doktor LaVey's philosophies and his humor without having read any of his other works.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#173143 - 06/24/06 09:30 PM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: DarkApollyon]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Canada
Quote:

It's just lucky my copy of The Devil's Notebook wasn't sitting in the bathroom as it had been awhile before, or I could have had an even more difficult time of things!!!

Doing some Hatha Toilet Seat Meditating, are we?
I'm sorry...I couldn't resist!
Undercroft Sign Up

#173144 - 06/24/06 10:07 PM Re: Quick...cover that symbol !! [Re: Enchantress]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Quote:

Quote:

Doing some Hatha Toilet Seat Meditating, are we?
I'm sorry...I couldn't resist!

I have a copy of that printed in a nice font on papyrus style paper, tastefully framed and mounted on the wall by the toilet in the bathroom of My Lair...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406368 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements