Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#173414 - 06/25/06 09:42 AM Extraterrestrials
Carkosa Offline

Some of you may consider this topic to be paranormal. I personaly do not believe in aliens. Given the fact that the universe has billions of stars and planets, I do however feel that it is a logical possibility. It is a great topic of interest for me and something that I have been reading about alot lately. Although there is no concrete proof, there is a small shred of evidence that raises the possibilty. The best possible evidence coming from ancient cultures.

Here is the most popular evidence that is constantly debated:

Crop Circles
This has already been debunked and it has been proven that they can be made by using planks of wood to flatten the crops to form patterns overnight or just in a couple of hours.

UFO Photography & Videos
Many of these photos and videos have been proven to be hoaxes and with current photoshop technology, there is no way that UFO photos can be believable. Every UFO video I have ever seen was extremely blurry, dark and unfocused.

Ancient and Medieval Art Depicting UFO's
Some of these are very debatable and can be interpreted in many different ways. Others are very compelling and convincing. Even though the source I'm giving is from a UFO site, keep in mind that all the art is genuine and not a hoax (with the exception of the Nepal disk which has been debunked as hoax).

Ufo Art

Here is another source that debunks that whole idea. Their explaination is that the UFO's in the paintings are not really UFO's but religious symbols that were common during that time.

Art & UFO's? No Thanks, Only Art

Ancient airplane models...

Ancient airplane

Ancient reptilian alien-like statues...
Reptilian aliens

Archaeological Anomalies

These are items that have been found embedded in places where they should not be. Either our carbon dating system is inaccurate or these things were left here by aliens thousands of years ago. Or intelligent humans date far back then we thought. I haven't done much research on this topic. It was something I just stumbled across so I can't say right now if it has been debunked as a hoax. If it is real, the best logical reason is that our carbon dating system is wrong.

Archaeological anomolies

The Nazca Lines of Peru
"The Nazca Lines are gigantic geoglyphs located in the Nazca Desert, a high arid plateau that stretches 53 miles between the towns of Nazca and Palpa on the Pampas de Jumana in Peru. They were created by the Nazca culture between 200 BC and 600 AD. There are hundreds of individual figures, ranging in complexity from simple lines to stylized hummingbirds, spiders, monkeys, and lizards. The Nazca lines cannot be recognized as coherent figures except from the air. Since it is presumed the Nazca people could never have seen their work from this vantage point, there has been much speculation on the builders' abilities and motivations."
Source

The Dogon People
The Dogon are a tribal people from Mali that worship ancestrial spirits called the Nommo. These gods are said to be amphibious, hermaphroditic, fish-like creatures. They believed Nommos were inhabitants of a world circling the star Sirius. The Dogon knew that Sirius had a companion star before it was discovered in the 1920's. It is impossible to see Sirius's companion star without a very powerful telescope and at the right time of Sirius B's orbit, which lasts several years. They also knew Saturn had rings and that jupiter had 4 moons. Only 4 moons can be seen with simple telescopes.

Ancient Astronaut theory
Ancient astronaut theory is a term used to describe the theories of ancient extraterrestrial contact being involved in some way with the origin or development of human culture. These theories often claim that human beings are either the descendants or creations of beings who landed on Earth millennia ago. Erich von Daniken and Zecharia Sitchin are best known for these theories. This is highly debatable being that it is all based on interpretation of ancient cunieform tablets.

The Mars Conspiracy
There are tons of conspiracy theories and speculation about the supposed "face" on Mars and what look like Artificial structures resembling pyramids and glass tunnels on Cydonia. Truth? We will never really know until NASA goes up there and digs. Until then, all of this is just going overboard and most of the photos I've seen don't look like that at all.

Any opinions or thoughts? When it comes to magic and the paranormal, Doktor LaVey stated that the energy required to levitate a teacup was sufficient enough to implant an idea to a group of people half way across the world. If the magician really did manage to levitate the teacup, it would be believed that he used trickery anyway. Suspend your disbelief for a moment and imagine if the Alien Autopsy video was real. If it were, would humans really accept it? It would be too fantastical to believe.

#173415 - 06/25/06 12:28 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
man_mind Offline
Banned

Don't forget to mention

This Little Project

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#173416 - 06/25/06 02:16 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: man_mind]
Carkosa Offline

Quote:

Don't forget to mention

This Little Project

Thanks. Of course! How can I forget SETI! I haven't really looked into this much. How does this exactly work?

#173417 - 06/25/06 02:28 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Basically, you allow SETI to use unused 'brainpower' on your computer to perform calcultaions. You have to downoad a program called BOINC (Berkley Open Interface Network C.... (forgot what the C is)).

All the information is on their website. Just click on the link in my signature.

SETI@Home Team

#173418 - 06/25/06 04:04 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: False_Messiah78]
Carkosa Offline

From what I've read so far, only one promising signal has been detected and that was on August 15, 1977. It lasted for 72 seconds and has not ever been detected again. It is referred to as The Wow! Signal. How active are you in this project and what are your expectations for it?

#173419 - 06/25/06 04:32 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: man_mind]
WolfMoon Offline

Quote:

Don't forget to mention

This Little Project

Thanks for that link. I was not aware of this.

#173420 - 06/25/06 05:53 PM Re: Extraterrestrials?? [Re: Carkosa]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
Has anyone realized that to the rest of the entire universe, we are the BUG EYED MONSTERS. Next time you look into the mirror, smile and say ' woOOooh to yourself! '

#173421 - 06/25/06 08:50 PM Re: Extraterrestrials?? [Re: chimera]
man_mind Offline
Banned

One thing for sure though. All of the "captured footage" is blurry as hell.

Um, take a look in the Camera section at the store next time your in.

Blurry you say? How's that now?

(Edit Portion Here)

I'm not implying that E.T's don't exist, I am merely saying that no one has caught them on DVD, VHS, Beta, Camera Recorders, Audio Tape, and etc.

If they had, the quality would be FAR better than just a Smurf sized shit stain in the sky.

Edited by man_mind (06/26/06 12:29 PM)

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#173422 - 06/25/06 10:46 PM Here are one or two. More downstairs. [Re: Carkosa]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
(1) The circadian "day" of a human being when placed in a mineshaft for a few weeks is not that of the 24 hour earth day. What planet day does it precisely match?

(2) What Egyptian dolmen structure not only has the usual alignment with the solstices and equinoxes but also proprotionately identifies the precise distance in light years between a number of distant stars ... distances only recently discovered in the last few years through modern astronomy?

(2.a.) Why would anyone thousands of year ago think it was important to map out the distances between stars like that?

The Shroud of the Unknown forum in the members-only forums discusses these and other such curiosities.

I should add that some of the debunking you mentioned was flawed.

#173423 - 06/25/06 11:22 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: False_Messiah78]
Z3ro3X Offline
CoS Member

SETI@HOME is a waste of time if you ask me. The other projects with BOINC seem more productive. You'd be better off giving up some CPU time helping with the biological projects and help find cures to stuff then the off chance of finding a radio signal from some aliens who probably don't give a rats ass about us any way.

It's not that I'm questioning the existence of aliens. But even if in some chance in hell we pick up a signal it would have taken so long to get to use... Well any way with our current level of technology it would be dumb to expect any kind of real time communications with our neighbors. There's also the assumption that they wouldn't mind sharing technology with a race as primitive as ours.

Most likely senario is they're more advance and have rules of not interfearing and would just ignore us if we sent them a signal or they're at our level or more primitive. At which case still wouldn't do us any good.

You're better off improving the quality of life here and now with medical research.

#173424 - 06/26/06 11:37 AM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
Crop circles - yes a lot of crop circles are the work of artists, students, farmers etc with too much time on their hands. However a group of one of the most prominent circle creators were challenged to replicate some of the more complex and hugely elaborate patterns that have appeared with unerring regularity all over the world, (England seems to be a hot bed for circles even to this day).
Even with dozens of volunteers and all the time they needed they were unable to match the symetry and complexity of some of the larger circles, so I think to debunk the whole subject on the basis that there are a lot of hoaxs out there is a mistake.
There was a case in the mid 90's in wiltshire where a farmer was inspecting his fields he came across a huge complex crop circle hundreds of feet wide that had appeared in a field in a 25 minute period where the field was out of his sight. He asked labourers working nearby if they had seen any trespassers/vehicles etc in the field "absolutely not" was their reply. Investigators estimated it would have taken a large team of dozens of volunteers with vehicles HOURS to create a design of such size and complexity.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#173425 - 06/26/06 11:46 AM Re: Here are one or two. More downstairs. [Re: Nemo]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
I've heard theories the "natural" human cycle so to speak has more in common with mars or an unknown planet sometimes refered to as Maldek that is now known in its more recent form the asteroid belt.
Yes there was another planet in our solar system apparently that was destroyed by some cataclysm or other, which may or may not have been our original "home" planet. whereupon we moved to mars, made a pigs ear of that planets once more hospitable environment and now here we are on earth making a dogs dinner of the environment here as well
I've read so many books, and heard so many different theories I find them all intruiging, amusing and fascinating at the same time.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#173426 - 06/26/06 02:38 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: ElJago]
Carkosa Offline

Quote:

Crop circles - yes a lot of crop circles are the work of artists, students, farmers etc with too much time on their hands. However a group of one of the most prominent circle creators were challenged to replicate some of the more complex and hugely elaborate patterns that have appeared with unerring regularity all over the world, (England seems to be a hot bed for circles even to this day).
Even with dozens of volunteers and all the time they needed they were unable to match the symetry and complexity of some of the larger circles, so I think to debunk the whole subject on the basis that there are a lot of hoaxs out there is a mistake.

Because so many people are doing it with ease and great skill, it's hard to take the whole crop circle issue serious anymore.

Quote:

There was a case in the mid 90's in wiltshire where a farmer was inspecting his fields he came across a huge complex crop circle hundreds of feet wide that had appeared in a field in a 25 minute period where the field was out of his sight. He asked labourers working nearby if they had seen any trespassers/vehicles etc in the field "absolutely not" was their reply. Investigators estimated it would have taken a large team of dozens of volunteers with vehicles HOURS to create a design of such size and complexity.

Maybe they couldn't do it...however I have seen documenteries where people were making these very complex patterns in a couple of hours. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to dismiss the whole idea just yet. I'm sure there are exceptions. This is just one of those things, like UFO video and photography that is losing credibility. Do have any more info on this story? Any photos?

#173427 - 06/26/06 04:01 PM Re: Here are one or two. More downstairs. [Re: Nemo]
Carkosa Offline

Quote:

(1) The circadian "day" of a human being when placed in a mineshaft for a few weeks is not that of the 24 hour earth day. What planet day does it precisely match?

I have no idea. I'm going to guess it is either Mars or Venus.

Quote:

(2) What Egyptian dolmen structure not only has the usual alignment with the solstices and equinoxes but also proprotionately identifies the precise distance in light years between a number of distant stars ... distances only recently discovered in the last few years through modern astronomy?

I'm going to say the Sphyinx is the closest match because is not an isolated monument and it is always examined in the context of its surroundings. Like many of Egypt's monuments, it is a complex with other small structures.

Quote:

(2.a.) Why would anyone thousands of year ago think it was important to map out the distances between stars like that?

Religion. Whether their gods were fiction or actually extraterrestrials we will never know. Given the complex nature in how they did all of this raises the possibility that they did interact with aliens.

Quote:

I should add that some of the debunking you mentioned was flawed.

How so? I can understand the crop circle issue. I should not have debunked it completely because there are some exceptions. But again it is not concrete proof and because everyone is doing it, crop circles are losing credibility.

#173428 - 06/26/06 05:45 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
Asmedious Offline

It is an intresting thing to think about while lying under the stars, looking into space. However, even if space aliens do exist, it will, to the best of my knowledge have no affect on my life what so ever. As you say, it does make one wonder, if anyone knows how to focus a camera, and use a telephoto lens.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12024 Members
73 Forums
43832 Topics
405256 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements