Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#173444 - 06/27/06 01:32 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: S_Magazine]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

A solar day on Mars is just over 24 hours, that was my guess.

#173445 - 06/27/06 03:31 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
S_Magazine Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

A solar day on Mars is just over 24 hours, that was my guess.

I was thinking along the lines of a heavenly body that would have more influence (i.e. by gravitational pull) on a human body.

I'm going to have to do some checking on how long it takes for the Moon to revolve around the Earth, though, to see if that fits my guess.

#173446 - 06/27/06 03:37 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
S_Magazine Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

Quote:

(2.a.) Why would anyone thousands of year ago think it was important to map out the distances between stars like that?

I'll have to pass on this one.

Possibly because they believed that the stars governed their lives. Or that the "heavenly bodies" were Gods themselves. In short, they believed in crap akin to astrology.

Upon further reflection, I would like to change my "answer" slightly.

Any answer that anyone here can make to Magister Nemo's final question would only be mere speculation, because there's really no way of knowing what went on in the Ancients' minds. That is, unless you're fluent on a native level in ancient Sumerian or ancient Egyptian and can read whatever documentation they left behind for yourself. Or you decide to take Sitchin at his word.

#173447 - 06/27/06 04:05 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: S_Magazine]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

It seems significant to me that this "altered" circadian rhythm occurs when removed from the natural day/night cycle. I imagine something similar must occur in polar regions unless a schedule is enforced.

#173448 - 06/27/06 04:29 AM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:

How can such a monumental event not effect your life?? Life as we know it will definitely change. If intelligent extraterrestrial life is found, the people of the world and their governments will need to determine how to manage interactions with them. Aliens are different from us physiologically, and may be different from us behaviorally also. Their minds may not possess any resemblance to our own at all. If our interactions with them are positive (which I highly doubt) we may have the opportunity to learn more about them and possibly visit another world that has life. If our interactions are negative then we will have to worry about them either enslaving or destroying us all.

Your reply makes it seem as though I suggested that in the next "visit" extraterrestrials would be found.
It just might happen that they will "kidnap" somebody and that person would be considered insane for the rest of his life—no affect on me.
But- if aliens do come to earth and reveal themselves (to the whole world) - I just hope they will "come in peace" because otherwise, this would effect my life in a negative way (obviously).

Edited by The_Lightning (06/27/06 04:34 AM)

#173449 - 06/27/06 05:51 AM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
I myself am very sceptical about the theory of extraterrestrial life travelling vast distances to this planet (or from secret bases in Antartica, Mexico, Argentina, area 51 or from within the hollow earth ! ) in nuts and bolts spacecraft.
I'm more a fan of the "Daemonic reality" theory, there are strange things that have always existed alongside us on earth that have appeared in different forms over the centuries:- UFO's, angels, demons, aliens, monsters, fairies, men in black etc.
Why they exist and what their purpose is is something we will probably never understand, for some reason they seem drawn to us and seem to "need" our interaction in some way.

A line from the average film version of the great book The Mothman prophecies sums it up, Richard Gere playing a bastardized version of the great John Alva Keel asks a disembodies entity on the phone "What do you look like ?", the entity answers "It depends who's looking".

This echoes what happened at Fatima, Portugal during a festival in the 1930's. A shimmering ball of light appeared in the sky above the festival witnessed by hundreds of people, when asked to describe what they had seen by journalists everyone gave a different answer some said they saw the virgin mary, others the archangel gabriel, others described demons dancing in the sky, while others described a golden disk spinning like a top.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#173450 - 06/27/06 10:35 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: S_Magazine]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
The reason for the Ancients being so heedful of the stars and planets might be because the solar system was not anywhere near as pleasant and gentle as it is today. It could actually have been that there once was a solar system engulfed in chaos that was caused by the interactions of those titanic floating bodies, which were called Gods. Those planets could have destroyed much of what was on the Earth’s surface with astonishing heavenly effects.

That is an interesting idea.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#173451 - 06/27/06 11:20 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: S_Magazine]
Bill_M Online
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>Any answer that anyone here can make to
>>Magister Nemo's final question would only
>>be mere speculation, because there's really
>>no way of knowing what went on in the
>>Ancients' minds

Falling back on the old solipsism argument (a long time favorite of mystics and assorted "faith" zealots, regardless of the topic) does not reduce every answer to "pure speculations" of equal validity.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#173452 - 06/27/06 12:19 PM Re: My guesses... [Re: Discipline]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

It could actually have been that there once was a solar system engulfed in chaos that was caused by the interactions of those titanic floating bodies, which were called Gods. Those planets could have destroyed much of what was on the Earth’s surface with astonishing heavenly effects.

You sound like Immanuel Velikovsky.

Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision stuff has been pretty thoroughly discredited by the scientific community (Sagan did a particularly smashing job of it in Broca's Brain) but it's certainly an intriguing notion. To paraphrase Gould, Velikovsky may be wrong, but at least he's gloriously wrong!

-Chess

#173453 - 06/27/06 01:23 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: The_Lightning]
Carkosa Offline

Quote:

Your reply makes it seem as though I suggested that in the next "visit" extraterrestrials would be found.

No it does not. My comments were strictly directed to your stance that hypothetically, proven knowledge of extraterrestrial existance will have no effect on your life.

Quote:

It just might happen that they will "kidnap" somebody and that person would be considered insane for the rest of his life—no affect on me.

Of course, an experience limited to only a select few will not effect you or me. But we are not talking about single testimonials that are not verifiable. We are talking about the best possible proof to the general world, past and present - such as documented mass sightings, ancient texts, signals from space, visual evidence, etc.

Quote:

But- if aliens do come to earth and reveal themselves (to the whole world) - I just hope they will "come in peace" because otherwise, this would effect my life in a negative way (obviously).

Even if they came in peace your life will still change.

Edited by Carkosa (06/27/06 01:30 PM)

#173454 - 06/27/06 01:33 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
I hope they take me with them. I am tired of living on Earth . That could prove to be a very intyeresting experience as well.

#173455 - 06/27/06 03:26 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Catalyst]
Bill_M Online
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>I hope they take me with them.

Sounds reasonable, so long as it didn't include being put into a colony of New-Agers.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#173456 - 06/27/06 03:34 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Catalyst]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
>>I hope they take me with them.

I'm sorry, they don't have any more room on their home planet now that they picked up all those Heavens Gate folk.

SETI@Home Team

#173457 - 06/27/06 04:56 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:

My comments were strictly directed to your stance that hypothetically, proven knowledge of extraterrestrial existance will have no effect on your life.

I never wrote that! "proven knowledge" never appeared in my post.

Quote:

We are talking about the best possible proof to the general world, past and present - such as documented mass sightings, ancient texts, signals from space, visual evidence, etc.

No… YOU are talking about that, I was talking about the general possibility that aliens exist.

Quote:

Even if they came in peace your life will still change.

Never said it wouldn't! Just made clear I hope it would be for the best.

#173458 - 06/27/06 05:08 PM Re: My guesses... [Re: Chess]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I do.

However, there are many others who have been doing research into this theory.

I also find it funny how quickly everyone seems to use Sagan as the end-all-to-be-all of astronomy.

There are others out there looking deeper and working hard at this concept. Immanuel Velikovsky was just the beginning and his theory was not fully developed at the time.

Again, don't throw the idea out simply because of one man's preconditioned theories.

I have done enough reading on Sagan and on this theory. I looked at both of the opposing sides. I have made my conclusion based off research of some fine data.

But I am an annoyance to the relativity community.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12016 Members
73 Forums
43827 Topics
405219 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements