My thanks, sir.

-Chess

#173475 - 06/28/06 03:18 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: S_Magazine]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Sorry but you missed on all three.

Better luck next time!

#173476 - 06/28/06 03:19 AM Re: Here are one or two. More downstairs. [Re: Neko]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Mars ... and to within one decimal place.

You win the kupee doll!

#173477 - 06/28/06 03:19 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Another winner!

Give the man a cigar!

#173478 - 06/28/06 03:23 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Correct.

However you bring up a small bit of additional humor.

How very interesting that of all the moons in the solar system only one (ours) always faces the planet it orbits.

And only the very center of the face that always faces us has an equilateral triangle circumscribed in the center crater.

Ah coincidences!

#173479 - 06/28/06 03:26 AM Stop! [Re: pitzi_83]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

What a weird feature (The rotation and orbit match)...

Thoughts like that might start to make you draw unacceptable conclusions.

Certainly the Moon cannot be hollow.

Certainly the Moon is described in many legends as having only arrived in historical times.

Ignore all that!

That is an order!

#173480 - 06/28/06 03:27 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Some things are so basic to the flesh that even thousands of years will not remove them.

#173481 - 06/28/06 03:34 AM Re: data [Re: Chess]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

The latest documentary (part one of three) by Thornhill as a part of the Kronia group goes into no small degree of detail on plasma physics and the flaws in the current gravity-only cosmology which even Einstein was never happy with.

Little details like how the solar wind accelerates faster and faster as it leaves the Sun do tend to cause one to pause.

Gravity is a puny force that fails to account for what we see out there.

But there is a force that does.

#173482 - 06/28/06 06:27 AM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Oh… I think I understand what was confusing about what I wrote.
I'm sorry- it is quite confusing…
I meant that I have an "agnostic" approach towards aliens- The existence of aliens can't be proven, therefore it's irrelevant to my present life.
It's like saying- ok, perhaps aliens do exist-and if they do, it doesn't matter (as much as it doesn’t matter if they don't exist) because I don't know of it and I'm not planning on searching for something that isn't relevant to my immediate life.
BUT if one day I'll be able to know of it for certain- I hope it changes my life for the best.

Quote:

I know. I don't expect that kind of answer here from anyone. However, I still wouldn't be too quick to answer for everyone either. A lot of people go against everything they believe in when their lives are threatened. If aliens were strong enough to enslave humanity, would you be enslaved to save your life or would you rather let them kill you?

I agree- in that hypothetical situation I don't know how anybody will react.
BUT RIGHT NOW, because we didn't chose to worship aliens, the issue of their existence does not have a major relevance to our immediate life. Being interested in them if fine- but what can you DO about it?

#173483 - 06/28/06 06:57 AM Re: My guesses... [Re: Nemo]
S_Magazine Offline
CoS Witch

Oh, well.

#173484 - 06/28/06 12:00 PM Re: My guesses... [Re: Nemo]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

How very interesting that of all the moons in the solar system only one (ours) always faces the planet it orbits.

Hate to contradict you, Magister, but synchronous rotation of moons is actually quite common. Just about everything orbiting close enough to its parent planet is tidally locked, and all the major satellites in the solar system are on that list.

Personally, what I've always found most odd is the coincidence that as seen from Earth, the Moon and Sun have exactly the same angular diameter. There's essentially no other place in the solar system where you can stand and see the Sun and ANYTHING consistently appear even close to the same size. Because of that, total eclipses (at least the way we get them, with the entire corona visible) are a uniquely Terran phenomenon.

Quote:

And only the very center of the face that always faces us has an equilateral triangle circumscribed in the center crater.

Never noticed that one. Looks like you've sent me on a treasure hunt!

-Chess

#173485 - 06/28/06 02:53 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: ModernTantalus]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Great!, Modern we must be terribly egocentric to think that we are the only type of life in the universe. Think of how vastly different life is here on Earth, it is most likely like that elsewhere also. Considering the size of the universe if there is only life here on Earth then it is a huge waste of space, nature does not waste. Us coming in contact with other civilizations is probable and more likely the longer the race survives, but unlikely. Think about this. We have sent many probes and satellites into space. Consider that one travels very far and crash lands on a planet where there is life similiar to what we were like thousands of years ago. Imagine what the primitive being would think?

#173486 - 06/28/06 04:02 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: DickSteele]
Achilles Offline

Life elsewhere will most likely evolve much more differently than on earth. I doubt there is other intelligent life as we know it.

#173487 - 06/28/06 04:22 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: Carkosa]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

This is something that few people are truly considering:

Besides the possibility of life on other planets (or moons), one must consider the possibility of what that life is.

As a general statement, the odds of it being anthropomorphic are slim and none. Do not forget that we were not a predestined result of evolution, mammals dominate the planet solely because meteoric impact annihilated the giant reptiles (i.e. dinosaurs) that previously dominated for dozens of millions of years. Apes haven't existed for even a blink in time compared to the time these creatures covered the globe. Also do not forget that our cerebral cortex is an evolution upon the reptilian brain structure, and that prior to their extinction, several species of dinosaurs evolved brain capacities that must have conferred intelligence similar to modern birds and perhaps even higher mammals (obviously not including humans). This, 65 million years ago. Had they not died they may have evolved much further, we will never know.

Reptiles themselves evolved to deal with the conditions of interior terrestrial existence, away from water.

Amphibians evolved to exploit existing resources on water fronts.

Terrestrial plants themselves were responsible for literally terraforming the entire planet, rendering it habitable in the sense we know today. Said plants took millions of years to actually colonize the interior land masses.

And so forth.

The odds of a planet having conditions suitable for any life are small (per planet; the odds of there actually existing other planets must be admittedly high given the number of planets likely existing in the universe, even if they are far outside our reach). The odds of said planet having conditions vaguely resembling earth are ridiculous.

Therefore, whatever life exists elsewhere will have evolved under very different circumstances and will almost certainly bear no particular resemblance to life on earth. The only requirement is that it is able to replicate itself, causing proliferation and evolution (yes, evolution is a foregone conclusion of any replicator capable of error in replication). These beings would not belong to any of the five kingdoms of life on earth, cladistically speaking; in other words, even if it is mobile, has a nervous system of some kind, and feeds on other beings, it is not an "animal." It's something else.

Therefore, questions about whether this life is "intelligent" or "peaceful" or whether it gives a shit at all are all moot. This life will almost certainly not have anything in common with us except replication and the presense of survival mechanisms. What those mechanisms are (intelligence, for example, is a survival mechanism), statistically speaking, is probably nothing we know much about.

However, given the general prevalence of xenophobia among earth life (most animals don't particularly care for members of other species and often not even members of their own species), if we are going to view aliens in earth terms, probably they won't like us much.

#173488 - 06/28/06 04:24 PM Re: Extraterrestrials [Re: The_Lightning]
Carkosa Offline

Quote:

BUT RIGHT NOW, because we didn't chose to worship aliens, the issue of their existence does not have a major relevance to our immediate life.

The interest has nothing to do with worship. The issue revolves around how would we react toward such a revelation. Lots of questions would arise about their existance as well as our own. It may open doors to many possibilities both postive and negative. The positive being that religion will be crushed. The negative being that interactions with them may prove dangerous.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements