Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#174569 - 07/01/06 12:15 PM Law of the Trapezoid.
melektaus8 Offline

Loc: Michigan.
I have found this essay to be a bit difficult to understand entirely.

What I've grasped thus far is that certain angles impact the psyche different ways, and in some cases lead to destructive things.

Anton LaVey states some of his observations from working as a "paranormal" investigator in San Francisco; saying that in some cases where bad things have occurred, there were present certain angles which more than likely made it so.

If anyone can assist, that would be greatly appreciated.

Truly,

MDW
"Those who are physically and mentally unhealthy and unfit must not perpetuate their sufferings in the bodies of their children. Through educational means the State must teach individuals that illness is not a disgrace but a misfortune for which people are to be pitied, yet at the same time that it is a crime and a disgrace to make this affliction the worse by passing it on to innocent creatures out of a merely egotistic yearning" - Adolf Hitler

http://www.woodharrow.com

#174570 - 07/01/06 04:07 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: melektaus8]
PWG Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: MI
You are on the right track, what are you having trouble with?

#174571 - 07/01/06 06:59 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: PWG]
melektaus8 Offline

Loc: Michigan.
What I am having trouble with is knowing what it is in totality.

Does it simply state that the Trapezoid will cause possible destructive effects, buildings that resemble a Trapezoid(s) or both?

I have seen the use of the Trapezoid many places in Satanic art and just don't feel that I've had the correct impression of what it is.

I just wanted to ask if there was something anyone can observe that I had perhaps overlooked.

Thank you for your reply.

MDW
"Those who are physically and mentally unhealthy and unfit must not perpetuate their sufferings in the bodies of their children. Through educational means the State must teach individuals that illness is not a disgrace but a misfortune for which people are to be pitied, yet at the same time that it is a crime and a disgrace to make this affliction the worse by passing it on to innocent creatures out of a merely egotistic yearning" - Adolf Hitler

http://www.woodharrow.com

#174572 - 07/01/06 07:07 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: melektaus8]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Well, yes, there is actually a great deal you have not mentioned or "overlooked".

That is one reason we have members-only forums downstairs so that we can go into depth on these kind of things.

In the meantime I would suggest reading Klines' Sentics.

#174573 - 07/01/06 07:27 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: melektaus8]
PWG Offline
CoS Warlock

Magister Nemo's advice is rock solid. Don't just limit your thinking to the trapezoid.

Consider the physical setup of even natural formations that give people the "creeps."

I have been able to observe the Law of the Trapezoid at work first-hand, and it's one of my favorites.

#174574 - 07/01/06 09:04 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: PWG]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I have been able to observe the Law of the Trapezoid at work first-hand, and it's one of my favorites.

I always thought the people in my workplace were more than a little crazy, but I'd always chalked it up to job stress and immature behaviour. However, the pattern on the carpet consists of a highly abstract scribbled pattern of lines, and I just started looking at it in-depth the other day and noticed that within the scribbles it's riddled with trapezoids. This may have had the subconscious effect of driving people batty.

I've been working at this place for some time, and recently my job duties take me away from the main areas and back into an area that has a neutral carpet pattern - no trapezoids - and what few people that are there are much saner! I've really noticed that the difference is most pronounced when I venture out to interact with people in the "tainted" area.
Undercroft Sign Up

#174575 - 07/02/06 04:01 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: melektaus8]
Dallas Offline

Loc: Utah County, Utah, US
I've found a few things just by googling.

#174576 - 07/02/06 04:59 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: Nemo]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

In the meantime I would suggest reading Klines' Sentics.

Magister, I just did a library search on your suggestion, but I could only find:

"Sentics : the touch of emotions by Manfred Clynes, 1925- Copyright 1977".

Is that the same one as you're recommending?
Undercroft Sign Up

#174577 - 07/02/06 06:34 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: Enchantress]
PWG Offline
CoS Warlock

Good observation! I'm sure people make a comment if they move from the tainted are to the more normal one, right?

#174578 - 07/02/06 08:24 PM Yes. [Re: Enchantress]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

That is correct. I was recalling the author's name from memory and clearly misspelled it.

#174579 - 07/04/06 03:17 AM Re: Yes. [Re: Nemo]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Irregardless of that, Magister Nemo - thank you for introducing that title. I hadn't heard of it before, and have ordered it from the library at your suggestion.

I know your suggestions to be sound, and appreciate any guidance you feel to offer.
Undercroft Sign Up

#174580 - 07/04/06 06:04 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: melektaus8]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
I haven't fully understood the Law of the Trapezoid. But I recently noticed that the ancient mesoamerican pyramids at Teotihuacan , are a collection of smaller trapezoids over larger ones. I've always found them to be quite intrigueing.

#174581 - 07/04/06 06:18 AM Other Reading [Re: Enchantress]
PWG Offline
CoS Warlock

Also try the "Angles of Madness" chapter in The Secret Life of a Satanist.

#174582 - 07/04/06 05:23 PM Re: Trapezoid. [Re: Rattlesnake]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

So is the shape of this bulletin board with the green line under Letters to the Devil forming the visual "top" and the block of massages forming the base.

#174583 - 07/04/06 06:33 PM Re: Trapezoid. [Re: Nemo]
Achilles Offline

Hey, it goes both ways actually. "Where the Elite Come to Play" can be the top and the green line is the base of an upside down trapezoid. Then the "Letters to the Devil" and "Magister Ventrue's" can be seen as another trapezoid with the green line the base. I've never noticed that. Maybe that's why it's so attractive.

Now I also see the bottom of the CoS Emporium with

" home |shopping cart | checkout
my account | contact us | mailing list
store policies | terms of use | privacy statement
"

Another trapezoid.

Let's see if there are anymore fun puzzles to look for...

#174584 - 07/04/06 07:40 PM Re: Trapezoid. [Re: Achilles]
man_mind Offline
Banned

I also never noticed that!

Very nifty.

It would actually explain why I do find it very attractive to look at, despite it not being my number 1 favorite color. While others I've had look at a post someone made, get unnerved, exiting the room quickly.

Ha! That is fascinating.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#174585 - 11/04/06 03:38 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: melektaus8]
redheadgrl Offline

I read about the law of the trapezoid (The Devil's Notebook pg. 113) and was questioning why the trapezoid shape is disturbing. I don't find it disturbing at all, quite the opposite, and I have a number of trapezoid shapes in my home.

#174586 - 11/04/06 04:36 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: redheadgrl]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

It's effects are not always upon a conscious level but rather an emotional one.

#174587 - 11/05/06 01:06 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: melektaus8]
TheAbysmal Offline

Irrespective of any significance this contribution may have in the topic, I just started reading Ian Stewart's Concepts of Modern Mathematics today, and in reading it, a trapezoid sorta took center stage in My mind while reading the second chapter, Motion Without Movement. The second chapter starts with a treament of Euclid's proof of isosceles triangles, which--put very, very simply--is if you can flip the triangle over and it fits perfectly within the bounds of its original trace, it is isosceles. The problem with Euclid's proof, according to Zeno's paradoxes, is the concept of motion involved in it. Among Zeno's paradoxes, one stipulates that apparent motion, which we see everyday, cannot occur: To reach point B from point A, you must first pass through the midpoint C. To reach midpoint C from point A, you must first pass through midpoint D, and so on. Obviously, motion occurs, and so it should not overturn Euclid's proof, so a different view of motion must prevail. Closer to the trapezoid I come...

Transformations make Euclid's proof possible, specifically, transformations confined to rigid motion. For instance, give a rectangle with vertices between points (1,1), (1,3), (3,1), and (3,3) on a Cartesian coordinate system, and given the transformation J(x,y) = (x+1,y+1), it is easy to see the same rectangle has moved up and to the right by one coordinate. This is an example of translation. The other two types of rigid motion are reflection and rotation. Now, how about an example of unrigid motion.

Given the same rectangle and the transformation K(x,y) = (x2,xy), you see the same rectangle, but distorted, as if it were stretched around the left side of a soda can from a three-quarter perspective.

Here is where the trapzoid kicked in for Me. Can the trapezoid be some kind of transformation of the rectangle? I am a bit rusty on my geometry and trig, and I have been unable to think of a way to do it all day. It bugged Me so much from the moment I began mulling it over in My head that I had to put the book down.

Can any of you think of a transformation of the rectangle that results in a trapezoid?

Hail Satan!

Refuse to die.

#174588 - 11/05/06 04:28 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: TheAbysmal]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
J(x,y)=(xy,y)

Where the rectangle exists only in quadrants I and II.

Edited by Drimlybunk (11/05/06 04:33 AM)

#174589 - 11/05/06 02:37 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: TheAbysmal]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

I just started reading Ian Stewart's Concepts of Modern Mathematics today

Does it get into non-Euclidian realms? (That is, drop Euclid's "ugly" fifth postulate and see where you end up.) If so (and if you've got the math to approach the subject at least somewhat deeply), prepare to have your mind blown.

Quote:

The problem with Euclid's proof, according to Zeno's paradoxes, is the concept of motion involved in it. Among Zeno's paradoxes, one stipulates that apparent motion, which we see everyday, cannot occur: To reach point B from point A, you must first pass through the midpoint C. To reach midpoint C from point A, you must first pass through midpoint D, and so on. Obviously, motion occurs, and so it should not overturn Euclid's proof, so a different view of motion must prevail. Closer to the trapezoid I come...

The resolution to Zeno's Achilles and the Tortoise paradox is that it turns out an infinite series can add up to a finite sum. Thus the paradox is not a valid objection except in realms where calculus does not apply.

-Chess

#174590 - 11/06/06 12:19 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: Chess]
TheAbysmal Offline

Your observation of infinite series adding up to finite sums is indeed correct. I probably should have avoided mentioning Xeno's Paradoxes without also mentioning those only rendered Euclid's Proof of the Isosceles Triangle incorrect in his time; likewise, the author offers this bit of information in his book. I neglected to include it in My original post in a rush to get to the meat and potatos of it, the Trapezoid.

Interestingly enough, Drimlybunk shows how thinking inside the box, the first and second boxes, offers a partial solution. Here is where I walk the fine line between compulsion and indulgence. :) Perhaps there is a significance to this I may later discover...

The subject of math, in all its flavors, has never failed to blow My mind. I enjoy it much, even what of it I may never apply beyond entertainment. What I find so intriguing about Concepts of Modern Mathematics is that it is more of an exposÚ of understanding math and its beauty, rather than blind manipulation of proofs and numbers. The author really, deeply loves the subject, and you can tell it from the prologue alone.

Hail Satan!

Refuse to die.

#174591 - 11/07/06 11:00 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: redheadgrl]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:

I read about the law of the trapezoid (The Devil's Notebook pg. 113) and was questioning why the trapezoid shape is disturbing. I don't find it disturbing at all, quite the opposite, and I have a number of trapezoid shapes in my home.

The geometric figure shown in the book actually has a line of symmetry. That in fact makes it look like a somewhat "balanced" shape. But when you take a more general look at what a trapezoid is (a quadrilateral with only two sides parallel) you can see in manifested in some "uneasy"-looking geometry in the 3D world. A perfect example that LaVey gives is a room where the walls, ceiling, and/or floor do not meet at perfect 90-degree angles. He confirmed that this showed up in the kind of rooms where people would get the creeps without knowing why.

Experiments have shown time and time again that humans like to see symmetry. Lack of symmetry makes us feel uneasy. But when you make things more and more asymmetric, it can get to a point where shapes just look messy and don't move the observer's mind. Trapezoids tend to have just enough parallel lines or symmetry to make us "want" to "complete" the symmetry in our minds, but the non-parallel lines keep irking the mind at the same time. This is what can cause uneasy-looking geometry.

The Law of the Trapezoid though isn't limited to offering psychological explanations for allegedly haunted place, though. It has its applications. Sometimes we need asymmetry to help us "think outside of the box" too. For example, I think the traditional Satanic altar has a nice lack of symmetry by placing only one white candle to the right.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#174592 - 11/07/06 11:04 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: TheAbysmal]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:

The subject of math, in all its flavors, has never failed to blow My mind.

Mathematics is one of my own passions, that's for sure. I definitely want to check out the volume you mentioned.

My own personal view of the trapezoid is that it's the simplest way to represent pushing things into the next "dimension". If you hold up a square sheet of paper in front of you, then start to tilt the top back, it will look trapezoidal because of your perspective; the top will look shorter than the bottom because it's further away. Likewise in the ritual chamber we suspend disbelief in order to "push" things in an unconventional "direction".

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#174593 - 11/07/06 11:33 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: Enchantress]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
My English classroom is a blue trapezoid. The walls art is large wood trapezoids. The building in wich it resides has trapezoid office areas for the staff members.

My highest grade is in that class.

#174594 - 11/07/06 01:22 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: Bill_M]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

If you hold up a square sheet of paper in front of you, then start to tilt the top back, it will look trapezoidal because of your perspective;

I find this transformation much more suited to answer TheAbysmal's question than my own. Although mathematically it would only result in a flatter rectanlge, it's magical and pragmatic implications are far superior.

(I'm much more a fan of art than math... though I do enjoy both.)

#174595 - 11/09/06 08:28 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: Drimlybunk]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
I have been watching this topic for some time and have really enjoyed the information conveyed about different aspects of what makes up The Law of the Trapezoid and its effects.

I would just like to ask, aside from the mentioned texts and theories discussed in this thread and also aside from The Devils Notebook.

What other texts and/or theories would be recommended reading as I would really like to study this subject further.

La bonne cuisine est la base du vÚritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#174596 - 11/09/06 11:08 AM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: Bill_M]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
I was waiting for our resident mathematician to put in his two cents on this one.

#174597 - 11/10/06 09:40 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: melektaus8]
PeachesPartridge Offline

Loc: where the youngsters get hyphy...
A friend and I recently created this structure, to be used as a temporary art gallery:

#174598 - 11/10/06 11:30 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: PeachesPartridge]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Excellent endeavour! Have you created other structures such as this? It would also look great if you added a fog machine to it.
Undercroft Sign Up

#174599 - 11/12/06 11:49 PM Re: Law of the Trapezoid. [Re: Enchantress]
PeachesPartridge Offline

Loc: where the youngsters get hyphy...
Gosh, thanks. This is the first one, but this design has a lot of potential for varied interpretation. Its modular, being held together entirely with cottering pins, & can accordian out from 12 to 18 feet in length. It can be assembled by two people in a very leisuerly three hours. The next version will be designed to be used as a greenhouse. When it finally gets used as an art gallery in December, not only will it be black and have walls, but there will probably be a fog machine and all kinds of spooky lighting.

heres a picture of the original mock up, which you can see had an extra Satanic touch:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406070 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements