Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#175097 - 07/03/06 07:11 PM Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist?
Zephirus Offline

Well, I've read The Satanic Bible, and I have to say that nearly all of it is in tune with who I've already been for years. I just have a couple concerns that maybe someone could address.

First, the whole magic bit about halfway through the book lost me. Not lost in the sense that it was confusing or too heady for me. I'm just not into that stuff, and never will be under any cirumstances. I am a man of science, period. If this disqualifies me as a Satanist, so be it, as I'm not one to lie to myself about my beliefs and values. It's one of the reasons Christianity and other religions are such a turn-off to me: too much of what I call "hocus pocus." In my opinion, the ritualistic side of any religion is counter-productive and a waste of time, as much as praying is. If I want something, I take sensical, earthly actions to achieve it. To me, Satanism is a philosophy, not a religion. Throughout my whole life, it's always the philosophies (Satanism, Taoism, etc) that have attracted me, NOT religions.

Second, on the topic of compassion. I'm a person who believes we're all born a clean slate. Any hereditary mental/physical disabilities aside, we are a product of our environment and our upbringing. I believe everyone has potential to be successful and to achieve a level of greatness (whatever that may be for that person). The Satanic Bible talks of the "strong" and the "weak," but being a big advocate of relativism, I have to argue: who defines those terms? What one person defines as strong, others might consider weak. As I understand TSB (and I may be interpreting it incorrectly), the homeless would be considered weak, and we should just leave them to die. Is this correct? Obviously, being a person who is capable of objective and logical thought, I can say that many homeless are where they are due to pure laziness. But that may not always be the case. Is it possible that a powerful CEO could one day be homeless, due to whatever circumstances? Absolutely. I've always had a soft spot for the homeless, I'm not sure why. It pains me to think that there are people who have no roof over their head. Yet I am wary of the portion of the homeless who are nothing more than leeches. Recently, I was in a gourmet popcorn store in the city, and an apparently homeless guy walked in and asked if I could buy him some popcorn. Sure, why not? I won't give them money ever, but my policy is, once in a while I'll buy them food. So I buy this guy a bag of popcorn, and he walks off, WITHOUT EVEN A THANKS. Mother-fucker!! And I'm sure many of you are reading this, chuckling and thinking "I told you so." You're right. I extended myself to this guy, and he was a fucking ingrate. If I wasn't concerned with him physically harming me in a dark alley, I would've planted a big fat footprint on his ass and told him to go to hell. So, do you ignore the homeless who ask for money or food? Is it within the Satanist's beliefs to do so? What if it's winter out, and you see a homeless woman and child on the steps of a building, freezing their asses off. Then what? Is it different from the homeless guy who's asking for something? I guess a good question is, at what point would a Satanist say to him/herself, "I know my life is about me and my loved ones first and foremost, but damn..these people need help." That's something I could probably never give up. If I see someone who needs help and it costs me nothing to help them, I'll do it. In the section of TSB where LaVey talks about psychic vampires, he very eloquently states that you have to weigh the give and take in your relationship with someone. If it costs me nothing to pick up a baby toy off the ground and go up to the mother twenty feet away and say "You dropped this," I'll do it. If she's already opening the door to her car in the parking lot 150 feet away, forget it. If I then see a note on the baby toy, "$100 reward if returned," then I'll find myself bolting to her car before she drives off.

Now, all that being said about me helping strangers and whatnot, there's a catch to it. If I help someone out and they show no appreciation, they are an ass. Whereas a right-hand pather might blow this off, I say bullshit. Everyone is capable of expressing gratitude. And if I fix someone's computer and they offer no thanks, I'm likely to discreetly fuck it up again on purpose, then decline when they ask for help again. I also refuse to help people who I perceive to be lazy or slackers. People who I know are intelligent and motivated, I have no problem helping, and I get a certain level of satisfaction teaching things to people who are receptive to learning and actually show progress. I'll also help people who reciprocate in some manner.

Enough of the whole compassion thing, I think I've beaten it to death. Essentially, although The Satanic Bible struck a chord in me, I don't know if I really fit the profile. Do I need to? Of course not. Anyone can take on the title of Satanist, or Buddhist, or Sikh, or whatever. But I refuse to label myself something I'm not. The whole point of this post is not for validation. I couldn't give a shit whether I'm a Satanist or not. I will continue happily living my life the way I have for years now, helping those who need it and appreciate it and grow from my help, rather than helping those who remain stuck and useless. I'll continue to indulge in everything and anything I damn well please, as long as it doesn't harm others. But I'll never refer to myself as a Satanist unless I really fit the bill, because a poser I am not.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your time. Pardon any ignorance in my post, I'm still gauging my understanding of Satanism and weighing it against my own values.

#175098 - 07/03/06 07:39 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
WolfMoon Offline

As far as magic is concerned, you are trying to look at it from what you've been told by pseudo-Satanists, wanna-be-occultists and Christian heretics. It takes some time to grasp, but the concept of magic is an applied psychology. A way to vent your desires or frustrations into a productive channel to meet your ends. The ritual in itself is for drama effect. I would suggest reading the magic part in the Satanic Bible a few times, as it seems most people miss the point the first time reading through it. It does not require a literal belief in an external deity called "the devil" that you are trying to summon. Satan is a force in nature. If you ask how I know this, I only ask you to apply the Satanic principles to your life and see it's effect on your world. Whether these prove positive is ultimately up to the individual.

#175099 - 07/03/06 07:51 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: WolfMoon]
Zephirus Offline

Actually, I'm not looking at magic from that perspective at all, I was just going by my gut feeling as I was reading that section. I'm just not a ritual person. I don't believe casting spells or throwing curses really does anything, and I understand the whole psychology aspect of it, *and* I see its importance, but I can just as easily sit here and close my eyes and envision an enemy burning to death, rather than setting up an altar, and performing a physical ritual. I only do what feels natural to me. And magic and rituals has never been something I've ever been into. It's just not my bag.

I forgot to mention another thing. I remain agnostic in the aspect of life after death. I accept that I don't know what happens.. I don't subscribe to any notions of reincarnation or the idea that life just ends and you're dead. I simply don't know, and right now I don't care. I'll find out when I die.

#175100 - 07/03/06 07:59 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I'm just not into that stuff, and never will be under any cirumstances. I am a man of science, period.

Being a man of science shouldn't prevent you from being a man of drama, too. It may help you to grasp the spirit of magic if you consider the references Magus Gilmore sometimes makes to it in interviews, as "psychodrama". The object is to make yourself into a creature of your own art, by drawing on ritual and theatric techniques.

This, of course, is only the beginning, but you may find it helpful. Many of us have found a great deal of practical and emotional gain in some level of ritual. You may get a lot out of studying the rites of ancient and primitive cultures (eg., the festivals to Dionysus at which Oedipus Rex was first run; or the cannibal dances of the Pacific Northwest tribes like the Kak'wakwa).

But as for your Big Question:

Quote:

So, do you ignore the homeless who ask for money or food? Is it within the Satanist's beliefs to do so?

This is a complex question.

Satanism does not have any particular politics associated with it. That is a question of your own discretion in applying Satanism to your own life.

The Satanic Bible has nothing to say about homeless people that I can remember.

But "strong" and "weak" are not just matters of interpretation.

What matters MOST, above all, is whether YOU have power over your OWN life.

Your introduction suggests you're basically a pretty competent guy, and can look after yourself financially. That's part of "strength".

Another part is whether you're morally, spiritually, or psychically beholden to anyone else.

Whether you're a generous or compassionate person isn't quite as important to us as whether you are compassionate as an indulgence, as an appreciation of your own success -- or as a compulsion, as a response to fend off guilt or shame at your own success.

That's the issue. Only you can answer that.

The Church of Satan isn't going to tell you what your political or social beliefs should be.

I hope this at least goes some way toward answering your question.

Edited by reprobate (07/03/06 08:00 PM)

#175101 - 07/03/06 08:14 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Let's see here....

Magic.

I'd say that a large number of Satanists initially have the same impression of magic/the "supernatural"/occultism as you. Many experiment with ritual, and find it to be surprisingly gratifying and useful. Others never quite take to it.

I would say that a Satanist must be willing to doubt, experiment, and cultivate a sense of wonder, all at once. It's all about testing to see what works, and what's true, without knee-jerkedly adhering to a standard of gullibility nor a method of hard-line skepticism.

Once you've researched Satanism more and tried it on for size, I'd recommend that you try doing a sincere ritual. If anything, you may find that it's a good emotional release.

The Satanic Bible talks of the "strong" and the "weak," but being a big advocate of relativism, I have to argue: who defines those terms?

That is a very good and very important question to ask.

When I was a green young Satanist, I wrestled with this issue quite aggressively, because I'm someone who would be considered by Neo-Nazis and staunch eugenicists to be physically weak and possibly genetically flawed. I wanted to make sure that Satanists were not going to hold me to some asinine or arbitrary standard.

I found that, for the most part, what determines weakness or strength to most Satanists is an individual's ability to use what they have and reach their full potential for thriving and surviving, while avoiding the principle Satanic Sins.

You are correct that people are complex, so that a person who is weak according to one standard is strong according to another, and that people who languish in one field can flourish in another.

But, I think there are some people one could safely say are generally impressive and admirable, and there are certain people one can safely call weak, stupid, ineffectual, pathetic, or disgusting.

More importantly, and more helpfully, there are actions, attitudes, personality types, and behaviors that one can typically call "good" or "bad," in terms of whether they promote strength and overcome weakness.

As I understand TSB (and I may be interpreting it incorrectly), the homeless would be considered weak, and we should just leave them to die. Is this correct?

Generally, yes, although Satanists will of course differ in their interpretations of these kinds of issues, sometimes in very subtle ways.

I might tend to say that most homeless people, period, are weak simply because they have shown that they're unable or unwilling to rise up from circumstances that they usually despise. I don't necessarily say this with hate or derision, mind you, because I feel a bit sorry for the authentically handicapped or mentally ill, the battered women on the run from abusive husbands, the teenagers escaping abusive parents or guardians, and the starry-eyed young people whose stocks took an abrupt dive.

But, if strength is being able to rise above bad circumstances, turn liabilities into assets, and not become a casualty of natural selection, then, the proof's in the pudding.

As for "deserving to die," sometimes Satanists will assert that the homeless actually deserve to die because they're leeches and eyesores, and sometimes Satanists will just say that deserve it or not, many homeless will die simply because that's what usually happens to you if you live that hard-knock life. (Often, both points will be made simultaneously.)

So I buy this guy a bag of popcorn, and he walks off, WITHOUT EVEN A THANKS.

And that is exactly why many people--and many Satanists--can't stand the homeless.

My main peeve is with the "quasi-homeless." These are the kids who like to bum around for fun and then ask you for money. Little shits, they are.

Anyway, I digress. Well, at least you can say you learned some kind of a lesson from this, and it only cost you some gourmet popcorn. I'd say, the lesson is not to stop doing kind things for people. The lesson here is to be more careful about who you're kind to, and stop to think and to read the signs before doing that good deed.

o, do you ignore the homeless who ask for money or food?

1) I avoid eye contact.

2) I say, "Sorry, can't help you."

I guess a good question is, at what point would a Satanist say to him/herself, "I know my life is about me and my loved ones first and foremost, but damn..these people need help."

When a Satanist really, truly cares about a group, a person, or an issue, then he or she should do something about it.

From there, you can ask yourself, "What does my cause/group/issue of choice really need to thrive and succeed in the long term? What can I do to help make that happen, without hurting or cheating myself?"

If you're worried about the homeless, I imagine there are many things you can do without giving them money straight up on the street, or buying them food when they demand it. You could give to a reputable shelter or charity, or donate time at a soup kitchen. You could devise your own program--social, religious, political--aimed at helping the homeless, or killing whatever you think the roots of homelessness are.

Just be sure to not complain about any burdens or assholes to which you needn't subject yourself. If you see your time, energy, or money going down the drain, and you hate that, then stop doing the things that cause that problem for you.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#175102 - 07/03/06 08:23 PM Re: "I couldn't give a shit whether I'm a Satanist or not." [Re: Zephirus]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Then neither shall I.

For any others reading this thread I suggest two comments by Anton LaVey:

Regarding magic:

"Magic works in harmony with nature. Bearing that in mind, I can assure you that I have stumbled onto something. Magic works. I would do it whether people attended the Church of Satan and did it with me or not."
-(page 98, The Devil's Avenger)

Regarding compassion for strangers (homeless or otherwise):

"Responsiblity to the responsible."

The above quote represents my attitude toward the author of this post.

Ignorance can always be pardoned.

Courtesy is something I consider to be a requirement for dialogue.

#175103 - 07/03/06 08:26 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: reprobate]
Zephirus Offline

Really well-put. Thank you. To answer that, my compassion is something that I just have within me. I do NOTHING out of guilt or obligation, I broke free from those chains years ago. Hell, even if my own family tries to pull crap on me, like "Oh that's fine, go ahead and do <such and such>," I just say "Okay, I will, thanks!" I love my family but I let them know, along with everyone else in my life, that I don't operate on those levels. I don't take hints either, if someone wants a favor, they had better come out and just ask me.

So when I help someone, I do it for the right reasons: just because I feel like helping someone who's in a bind, as long as it doesn't impose too much on me. This rule of mine applies to animals, too.

#175104 - 07/03/06 08:30 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
weles Offline

Loc: California
I find myself having similar feelings to Zephirus regarding Satanism with respects to Ritual. I find formalized ritual unappealing. If I want social interaction, I prefer the informal ritual of dinner and drinks. If I want to focus my mind, I prefer to do it through the ritual of taking a walk or petting my cats. Formalized religious ritual, regardless of whether or not there is supernatural appeal being made, does not hold appeal. It is one of the things preventing me from joining CoS despite considering it on and off for many years. Another is my lack of interest in accepting the notion that someone is my better based on organizational title (I balk at this in the work I do in order to pay for my otherwise nice life, why would I take on more heirarchy socially?). I do not consider anyone to be my better, and do not accept what someone says to be true simply based on their role as a formal authority figure (and I do find myself not in full agreement with some of the writings of CoS leadership).

Regarding compassion and altruism, while I certainly don't purport to speak for anyone else, my own reconciliation with such drives and my own sense of self value is that I acknowledge that I perform such acts in order to achieve self satisfaction and other personal reward may give you a path to consider for yourself. I do not lie to myself that I have some Xtian duty to a higher power to promote loving kindness. I accept that when I help someone, it is for a reason. When I help a friend, it is because they are part of my chosen family and have already established a history of deserving my help or else they would not be my friend. If they violate that trust, they stop being my friend. I do not forgive them undeservingly, they would need to re-earn my trust and love. When I stand for some social cause, it is because I feel that by doing so I promote some benefit to myself: social stability, defense of rights against dogmatic Xtian incursions, erosion of the power of undeserved and unearned elites, and so on. I share your idea that people are born with a clean slate and should not be a priori dismissed as worthless without being given a chance to prove their worth. I disdain social structures which retard people's chances to prove their worth, and am disgusted at talent wasted by a system which rewards cloying toadies and sycophants, hiding behind weak claims of being a meritocracy. My assessment of many situations is that compassion and altruism benefit me, and in those cases I am happy to help. When I am wrong, I stop helping.

Whether or not you decide to call yourself a Satanist is your own decision and not something I claim to have any insights into, but I wanted to put forward the idea that not all compassion and altruism comes from blind faith and stupidity. It can be something you accept as a strategic or tactical necessity, or even for some people as fetish/religion in and unto itself.

#175105 - 07/03/06 08:30 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>I am a man of science, period. If this disqualifies me as a Satanist, so be it, as I'm not one to lie to myself about my beliefs and values.

Then all the more reason to utilize magic.

All science was once seen as magic.

I am a man of sciences myself. I view magic as one of those amazing aspects of life that is hard to a draw conclusion on but is nevertheless there and is quite useful.

Don't throw a useful tool out just because mainstream scientists have no sense of creativity and depth.

>>In my opinion, the ritualistic side of any religion is counter-productive and a waste of time, as much as praying is.

Praying is a waste of time because you place your desires and needs in a fictional deity. That is like rubbing a lamp hoping a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

Rituals on the other hand are very useful. I would be surprised if you have never ritualized before. I ritualize when I paint, compose music, work out, make love, and when I do many other such intimate situations. Ritualizing is a part of what it is to be human and it is a very powerful tool which can achieve astounding results.

You need to study, practice, and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. They bite!

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#175106 - 07/03/06 08:30 PM Re: "I couldn't give a shit whether I'm a Satanist or not." [Re: Nemo]
Zephirus Offline

Nemo, I wanted to tell you, I appreciate your welcome in my introduction thread. And please note, my comment you pointed out in this thread was not meant to insult. My point is, I don't care what labels are put upon me, I am what I am. I wanted to make it clear that I am not here seeking approval. There are plenty who would seek out Satanism because it's "cool" (pseudo-Satanists). I just wanted to emphasize that I'm not one of them, hence the quotation you referenced. I know it didn't quite come across right, sorry about that. What I should've said was, if, by the tenets of Satanism, I'm not a Satanist, then that's okay, I won't lose sleep over it.

Edited by Zephirus (07/03/06 08:34 PM)

#175107 - 07/03/06 08:37 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

First, the whole magic bit about halfway through the book lost me. Not lost in the sense that it was confusing or too heady for me. I'm just not into that stuff, and never will be under any cirumstances. I am a man of science, period. If this disqualifies me as a Satanist, so be it, as I'm not one to lie to myself about my beliefs and values. .......If I want something, I take sensical, earthly actions to achieve it. To me, Satanism is a philosophy, not a religion. Throughout my whole life, it's always the philosophies (Satanism, Taoism, etc) that have attracted me, NOT religions.

There are certainly those who would label themselves Satanists who do not practice Greater Magic, or ceremonial ritual. That is one of the best things about Satanism, it is a religion of individuals. As long as you agree with the key points of Satanism.

I would point out, however, that you are practicing Lesser Magic if you "take sensical, earthly actions to achieve" whatever is your desire.

Quote:

Second, on the topic of compassion. I'm a person who believes we're all born a clean slate. Any hereditary mental/physical disabilities aside, we are a product of our environment and our upbringing. I believe everyone has potential to be successful and to achieve a level of greatness (whatever that may be for that person). The Satanic Bible talks of the "strong" and the "weak," but being a big advocate of relativism, I have to argue: who defines those terms? What one person defines as strong, others might consider weak.

By "clean slate" do you mean "equal"? Humans are all produced in the same manner, but I would submit the equality ends there. Obviously we are not all born equal. You have already pointed out some of the differences. It is not necessarily what you are born with as much as what you do with what you are born with.(and I include enviromental factors here also) Those who are born to be elite in some manner will rise to the top in spite of their origins, they are obviously not weak.(Just look at the origins of some of the most famous scientists, authors, actors, musicians, etc.)

Conversely, there are always those born with every advantage who just wallow in their own shit. They will never amount to anything either, despite their origins. I don't see stratification as cut and dried as the nuture thing as much as being born with the hutzpa to rise above others.

If you see everyone as being successful, even if, in their minds, that simply means learning to keep their mouths shut so they don't drool, then we simply would not be recognizing the elite. They are still there, but you just refuse to recognize they are somehow stronger. Yeah, the droolers can be proud of themselves if they want, but that does not erase the fact that they are not at par with say...Ben Franklin. Obviously there are levels of stratification.

Quote:

As I understand TSB (and I may be interpreting it incorrectly), the homeless would be considered weak, and we should just leave them to die. Is this correct? Obviously, being a person who is capable of objective and logical thought, I can say that many homeless are where they are due to pure laziness. But that may not always be the case. Is it possible that a powerful CEO could one day be homeless, due to whatever circumstances? Absolutely.

Sure, a CEO can one day be homeless, but if he got to be a CEO on his own merits and not by virtue of his father giving him the job or what have you, then he will pull himself back up and do what it takes not to be homeless. If he is a slackard by nature then he is where he deserve to be.

Should we let the homeless just die? For some that would be doing themselves and the rest of society a favor, in my opinion. You answer this question yourself later in your post, see my next response.

Quote:

I've always had a soft spot for the homeless, I'm not sure why. It pains me to think that there are people who have no roof over their head. Yet I am wary of the portion of the homeless who are nothing more than leeches.

I see it that homeless people do not need to be homeless. There are always ways to get off the streets, in this country anyway. I have worked with many clients who have been homeless and destitute, but have worked hard to better themselves. That is the key. You have already pointed out that a lot of these people just want handouts and are not willing to do anything to help themselves. They are weak and lazy and do not deserve your time or concern. How many bags of popcorn do you buy ingrates before you say "fuck this". If, on the other hand you derive some pleasure from helping the mother and child on the steps go ahead and do it. The important thing is that you are not doing it out of some kind of moral obligation to the human race. You are doing it out of pure pleasure on your part. If it is a burden to you and it will hurt you or your loved ones in some way, then think at that time in terms of self preservation, which is what that homeless person should be thinking about.

Quote:

I also refuse to help people who I perceive to be lazy or slackers. People who I know are intelligent and motivated, I have no problem helping, and I get a certain level of satisfaction teaching things to people who are receptive to learning and actually show progress. I'll also help people who reciprocate in some manner.

Bingo! You are deriving a certain amount of pleasure because you know these people are possibly deserving of your attention. That is the key.

Quote:

Essentially, although The Satanic Bible struck a chord in me, I don't know if I really fit the profile. Do I need to? Of course not. Anyone can take on the title of Satanist, or Buddhist, or Sikh, or whatever. But I refuse to label myself something I'm not. The whole point of this post is not for validation. I couldn't give a shit whether I'm a Satanist or not. I will continue happily living my life the way I have for years now, helping those who need it and appreciate it and grow from my help, rather than helping those who remain stuck and useless. I'll continue to indulge in everything and anything I damn well please, as long as it doesn't harm others. But I'll never refer to myself as a Satanist unless I really fit the bill, because a poser I am not.

Only you can answer these questions. Being true to yourself is the important thing, whether you label yourself Satanist or not. It is good that you are thinking about these things and studying Satanism rather than rushing ahead and just taking on a label that may have no meaning to you.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#175108 - 07/03/06 08:40 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
On Satanism and magic:

As has been stated, many Satanists consider Greater Magic to be simply psychodrama that helps one to vent harmful emotions relating to this or that or the other so one can tackle the matter more reasonably. And Lesser Magic is of course simply applied psychology, NLP, etc.

On homeless people:

Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!

Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!

I have no pity for homeless people begging etc. I have, also, been homeless, due to unfortunate circumstances, for about a month when I was 18. During that month, I encountered Hell on Earth, and yet I never begged. Nor did I ever lose pride in Myself. I was the most presentable homeless person around. I passed by other homeless people and they asked Me if I could spare some change. I looked into their pitiful pleading eyes, looking into their sad little paper cups holding coins, smiled, and told them, truthfully, that they had more money than I had. I travelled across Europe, actually, and met lots of interesting people, many of whom voluntarily offered Me transport, food, drinks, shelter, money, new clothes, all kinds. I was a dinner guest of quite a number of families, and one family actually had Me stay at their house for a few nights to recover a bit (I was ill, hungry, blistered, it was midwinter, I was crossing the Alps to get from France to Italy). I never asked for any of that charity, and yet I received it gratefully. I clawed My way back up into society with Nietzschean will and Machiavellian style. I charmed My hosts and they felt their lives enriched to have met such a remarkable individual, someone who had all these physical discomforts and yet was cheery and pleasant and asked for nothing.

#175109 - 07/03/06 08:43 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
Gabriela Offline

Hello Zephirus, I think that may you need to be a little more critic with your actions, so you can't help someone when that someone didn't ask you for help, and you just think that he need it. Who can tell what is to be a poor person, it is relative.

The problem when you help somebody is that you never do that because you need a retribution, like a thanks, this is risk. The really need in compassion is do anything for other person without recive anything.

Magic, for me, is that feeling of be in change, every moment, with every step I take in any discipline. Sometimes people confuse magic with ritual, they are not the same, but sometimes they need each other.

Good Bye.

#175110 - 07/03/06 08:44 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: dragondancer]
Zephirus Offline

Quote:

Only you can answer these questions. Being true to yourself is the important thing, whether you label yourself Satanist or not. It is good that you are thinking about these things and studying Satanism rather than rushing ahead and just taking on a label that may have no meaning to you.

Yes, of course.. I'm an intelligent person. As some of you will find out, I do slip up and say stupid things once in a while But I've got brains. Otherwise I wouldn't be where I am today.

Thanks to everyone else who posted, too. Your responses have been extremely insightful and helpful to me!

Ave Satanas!

#175111 - 07/03/06 08:51 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Linguascelesta]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
And here we see true strength in action.

You found yourself in an bad situation, but gradually worked your way out of it, and did the best you could to cope and thrive in the meantime.

Actually, if I don't sound too idealistic, it sounds like you had quite the adventure. If I were homeless, I'd definitely take the opportunity to travel where I wished and see the sights. (Sure as hell beats standing on a median with a stupid sign, like most homeless seem to do.)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
44001 Topics
406140 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements