Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#175172 - 07/14/06 10:29 AM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

In my opinion, the act of ritual itself is a waste of energy.

That's an interesting opinion considering the quote you chose for your signature.

#175173 - 07/14/06 10:30 AM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Anyone that states that ritualizing is a waste of energy, truly has no understanding of human behavior.

I guess weddings are a waste as well? That also means funerals, birthday cakes, graduations, honey moons, romantic candles, and etc. are all just wastes of energy.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#175174 - 07/14/06 10:41 AM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Assabrah]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
This is an oversimplification, and just my take on things...but, for me, magic is the poetry of life. Yes, many of us are very intelligent.; but, there will always be those things that can't be reduced to a scientific formula. That is how I see the force in the universe that is magic.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#175175 - 07/14/06 11:11 AM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>I think that if it makes you sleep better at night and
>>feel good and happy about yourself, You're in the green.

You're responding to somebody whose name is in the black. They're gone. So who are you responding to?

>>In my opinion, the act of ritual itself is a waste of
>>energy.

So you don't comprehend, at the very least, the entire second half of The Satanic Bible?

>>so why is a certain breed of magic better than
>>the other?

"If the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, then established occultists would do well as maze-makers." Anton LaVey, on the other hand, took an Occam's razor to the occult world (as one writer put it), throwing out the scavenger-hunt and hypocritcal aspects to get right down to what people truly mean by "magic", and how to most directly utilize that.

>>Why not simply skip the ritual and enact the change
>>with simply your will,

I see on your website that you drew a picture of Kirk Hammet. Why do that, when you could just tear out a photo from a magazine or CD bootlet? As long as we're throwing out ritualized expression, why not art too? After all, putting paint on a canvas is just a waste of time. Artists should be able to go express their will through direct means instead, right?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#175176 - 07/14/06 11:54 AM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: ThaDeej]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>FANTASTIC!! I love the analogies you've given here,
>>very well put! HS!

Thank you. Maybe I should copy this one down; might make good essay material later, you never know.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#175177 - 07/14/06 02:32 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Alan Offline

Loc: Scotland
It is an interesting point of view you may have, but could I say as I have (and Still am) in contact with an inmate in prison who is a keen Wiccan, the theory and enjoyment which magick and ritual (whether it exists or not) gives my friend something to hold on to as he is locked up 23 hours a day and has very little to sustain him but his belief in Meditation and the hope of eventual release.

I have helped the best I can, but it is DIFFICULT maintaining your belief (in a religion)when others are against you and ridicule you at every turn. As a determined Satanist, whilst in prison my belief in Satanism was ridiculed by certain prison officers who only wanted to hear about the sexual orgies??!!..

Get a grip. If he knew that your heart beats 3 (three) times as fast when having sex over a period of time, he woould'nt be so keen on sex as it would really nacker him somewhat!!

Hope this is of interest to you?

PrisonSatanist.

#175178 - 07/15/06 11:37 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Assabrah]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
My point lays in paradigm. I feel it would be far easier to design your own kind of magic, rather than adopt somebody elses. It's in that paradigm based on old methods may actually be more useless now, rather than evolving methods and creating new ones to better adapt for changing times.

Christianity hasn't changed in two-thousand years, and look at how it's doing. I would rather not see magic become as stagnated as the rolling paper pages of the bible.

#175179 - 07/16/06 06:17 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Linguascelesta]
Barb Offline

CoS Member

Way to go! I applaud you for conquering your past formidability by taking control and turning your life around for yourself, and having fun in the process. That’s truly Satanic.

"Life is the great indulgence-death the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life-here and now!" ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how much he can utilize what he has." ~Anton Szandor LaVey

"Twenty percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production, IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities." ~The Pareto Principle, as stated by John C. Maxwell

#175180 - 07/16/06 07:23 PM Re: Why not skip the ritual? [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:

Why not simply skip the ritual and enact the change with simply your will, if it is to be an internal change, and if it is to deal with something like money or love, just do what you feel is right (In your own personal sense, of course.).

"Once someone understands his potential, reinforcements supplied by the ritual chamber can be superfluous."
-The Devil's Notebook, page 35. Bold emphasis mine.

I would only add but not before.

#175181 - 07/17/06 07:25 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Zephirus]
Lillith Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
Awhile ago, while working at a hotel, a man came in telling me that his wallet and credit cards and cash had been stolen from him at a hotel in a town over 100 miles away. He told me that he had hitchhiked and walked all the way to this town, and although his job he was heading to was in Colorado, he only needed a place to sleep for awhile and a shower. I found numbers to Salvation Army, a homeless shelter, and a few other places that helped people in need. Including the police, who told me that there were no places in town that could help him. After watching this man walk all over town and looking for a place to stay or some organization that would help him, I decided that I wasnt risking my job too much by giving him a room and just not writing it in the books. I felt better helping him, and he got a job locally with a carnival the next day to save up some money to go to Colorado. I think if you receive any kind of gratification from helping someone else, that's all that should matter.
As far as magic, I agree with you. I may not be a woman of science, but I have never felt comfortable with magic in any way. Magic, spells, prayer and other "trappings" of other religions have always made me turn away from those paths. I agree with you that the philosophy is what I focus on the most. I know that magic and the "intellectual decompression chamber" as LaVey stated, is vital for some people. I am just not one of those people. I don't think you have to fall into any "pattern" or "mold" to be a Satanist, I think that understanding and living the philosophy should be enough. That magic, Lesser or Greater, should be a requirement, is not how I understood it.
Thank you for your post, it was very informative and I appreciate that others may feel the same as I.

#175182 - 07/17/06 07:29 PM Re: Am I too compassionate to be a Satanist? [Re: Lillith]
Lillith Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
Ok, now I feel a bit silly, I must have missed that part about what your name being in black means. I didn't realize that poster had been banned. I still liked the post though, and my reply still stands. Sorry..

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements