Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177453 - 07/12/06 01:04 PM Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll
Matt Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Land of Oz
Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll

Officially:

Baddeley, Gavin. Lucifer Rising: a book of sin, devil worship and rock ‘n’ roll. London: Plexus, 1999.

I bought this book from a music store in my city, which has a book section. I also got my copy of The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Witch, The Satanic Rituals, The Big Fat One Coop Sketchbook and countless musical items there. I have not seen this item available on the CoS Emporium or any Satanic-specific online stores.

Before I start I will mention similarities between this book and Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground, by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderland. Both books discuss Satanism and metal music. The main differences are that Lords of Chaos looks specifically at everything that relates to black metal and happens to include details about some of the core black-metallers were devil-worshippers. In contrast Lucifer Rising looks at Satanism in all forms (herein more correctly described as Satanism and forms of devil-worship) in relation to music.

I found this to be one of the most interesting books I have ever read. It covers in detail how Satanism and certain forms of devil-worship initially emerged and then flourished within the metal and extreme music scenes. Lucifer Rising traces the steps of metal pioneers and illustrates exactly how satanic imagery was assimilated into heavy music through key bands, individuals and certain iconic albums. Gavin Baddeley is a competent and fluent Satanic author who never once confuses the word ‘Satanist’ with the term ‘devil-worshiper’. The result is an intensely enjoyable and informative book that you will no doubt attempt to devour over night – only to find it is much too big!

Interwoven with the text of the book are extensive interviews, some lasting pages at a time. You will read interviews with LaVey, Coop, Magister Gilmore, Count Grishnackh, Cronos of Venom, Diabolus Rex, King Diamond, Boyd Rice, Blanche Barton, Andrea Meyer, Vincent Crowley of Acheron, Euronymous, Glenn Danzig, Thomas Thorn of the Electric Hellfire Club, Glen Benton of Deicide, Paul Douglas Valentine and Kenneth Anger among many more. Each interview is in depth, frank and to the point. Baddeley gets fascinating answers every time. LaVey is interviewed more than once and is asked about issues, which haven’t been covered in other material that I have found.

Satanism and devil-worship are both given an opportunity to speak. Baddeley mentions more significant devil-worship movements in greater detail over the more temporary and less serious ones. The Church of Satan and its members are given a large amount of space to express their views, but at the same time people who have shot off from the Church of Satan and created their own movements have also got their own sections. There are also many lesser-known devil-worshipping leaders (who took their beliefs seriously – and had followings) who get a chance to be interviewed and have their philosophies expressed. There is also a discussion on occultists and Alistair Crowley, and how they influenced early metal to become interested in the arcane.

One would not have been convinced that the author is a Priest in the Church of Satan had the blurb not stated it. The author did not glamorise the Church of Satan’s philosophy over devil-worship and its’ forms. Since the author did not attempt to make Satanism look ‘good’, a larger audience can read the book without being preached to. I feel confident in saying that this book should be made available to anyone who wants to know about this topic because it is purely objective.

This book really contributes to the world with its objective summation of Satanism and devil worship in the context of metal and extreme music.

The book itself is incredible quality. I estimate there would be no more than half a dozen pages in this book that does not contain quality black and white photographs relevant to the text. There are nifty devilish watermarks on all pages, and the fonts and headings are all stylistically ‘evil’ looking. This hardback book is about 2 centimetres thick and weighs in at around 240 pages. In other words this book is a substantial read on its subject matter. You will be pleasantly surprised with the pictures and glad to hear that they only augment the text and don’t compensate for it.

A quick note on the bibliography contained at the end of the book. This biography summarised all the relevant Satanic books anyone could want to read – to date! The books are listed under topic headings such as The Church of Satan, Satanic Cinema, Historical Background, The Third Reich and Satanic Crime.

At US$16.95 or UK£12.99 I highly recommend this book. I paid AUD$50 for mine and was completely satisfied with what I received in terms of quality, content and originality (that is, it actually contributed to my knowledge on both topics; it didn’t just restate it).

Matt

#177454 - 07/13/06 01:25 AM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: Matt]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
13 July XLI A.S.

Well, that's one opinion. Here's a different one...

Lucifer Rising
by Gavin Baddeley
(Reviewer: Matt G. Paradise)
from Not Like Most #11

Baddeley offers up his well-researched and largely well-written account on the history of Satanism, from its ancient roots to modern-day figures and aspects both of note and of little regard. Because of such, I’m of two minds about this book. In its beginning, there is a pleasing amount of succinct and unambiguous knowledge pertaining to what has led up to modern Satanism, traversing religious, literary, and political influences through approximately one-third of the book. In Part II, Baddeley delves deep into Satanism’s appeal, in either a direct or oblique sense, to popular 20th century musicial acts (primarily, heavy metal), for better or worse. In the final Part, the author examines people and musical personalities of modern-day who either are associated with Satanism (such as Anton LaVey, King Diamond, Boyd Rice, Carl Abrahamsson, Thomas Thorn, Vincent Crowley, Blanche Barton, Michael Moynihan, Peter Gilmore, Diabolos Rex, and Coop) or just merely think they are (like the amass of individuals I refuse to dignify by naming). Here’s where I part ways with the author, and justifiably so.

The fact of the matter is that this book wastes far too much page space by affording a voice to those who have nothing to do with Satanism (except maybe to slam it), and, hence, lends credence to shit-disturbers, whiners, the mentally-ill, and an assortment of CoS coattail-riders. Baddeley does counter some of this nonsense in his commentary, but to what ends? It stills stands that these individuals were given press under the umbrella of Satanism when it ‘s so glaringly undeserved.

Likewise, I simply cannot accept this book as an accurate picture of Satanism in and of itself. Its implied message is that almost all of those mentioned are Satanists, which is grossly misleading to those not in-the-know and may inevitably drag some of our media representatives once again into pointless non-issues of the past. As a result, the uninitiated are led to believe that practically anything that calls itself Satanism is Satanism.

Ultimately, this leads me to the question of whether or not I would suggest this book to someone wanting to know what Satanism is. As a whole, I would not. There is too much diversion and dross in it to qualify. To its credit, there is some great information contained in this book, but it’s interspersed with so much off-the-track and often irrelevant nonsense from certain interviewees that it is a mixed-bag at best.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#177455 - 07/13/06 09:34 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: Matt]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
I'm not particularly sure which book mentions this but the most accurate thing I read was that in regards to the church burning and "movement" of the "black metal satanists" in Scandinavia, Americans would not take a genre such as music to an extreme political sense and utilize for whatever ends to generate controversy such as the European factions have. Americans take it more as a fad and delve no further than the trend itself, with no political idealism added. "As long as your bellies full, wallet's full and have a roof over your head, that's the means to the end" basically.

#177456 - 07/16/06 06:18 AM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: MagisterParadise]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
I have not read the book, but I remember that, some years ago, an acquaintance sent me a photocopy of a couple of pages in which the author refers to me. Every one of his statements about me was incorrect. I wondered why he had not bothered to contact me to verify his information, especially since the truth was more interesting than his rumours and speculation (part of which appeared to be lifted almost verbatim from a gutter-press exposée). At the time, I was publishing a magazine, so I was not hard to find if he had wished.

#177457 - 07/17/06 10:19 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: MagdaGraham]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Magister Paradise and Priestess MagdaGraham, are you aware that this title appears on the CoS website? (under Books by Church of Satan Members) http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/Sources.html

Now, a reasonable person would take this as an endorsement of this text. You two seem to make very convincing arguements that this text should NOT be endorsed by the CoS.

I just went on a book shopping spree using the CoS Reading lists as my shopping list. I intentionally did not buy Lucifer Rising today due to Magister Paradise's review.
I was planning on purchasing it at a later date but MagdaGraham's post has me reconsidering.

Ultimately, if it remains on the CoS site I will take it as an official endorsement and indeed purchase the book.

Perhaps you should discuss having this title removed from the site with the appropriate Administrators. If a book is indeed spreading mistruths about the CoS and its Members, or otherwise printing misleading infomation it probably should not be on the site, no?

My two cents.

SETI@Home Team

#177458 - 07/17/06 11:32 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: MagdaGraham]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

I have not read the book, but I remember that, some years ago, an acquaintance sent me a photocopy of a couple of pages in which the author refers to me. Every one of his statements about me was incorrect. I wondered why he had not bothered to contact me to verify his information, especially since the truth was more interesting than his rumours and speculation (part of which appeared to be lifted almost verbatim from a gutter-press exposée). At the time, I was publishing a magazine, so I was not hard to find if he had wished.

In Journalism that is called "Professional Standards."
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#177459 - 07/18/06 01:08 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: False_Messiah78]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
“Ban the book” sounds uncomfortably like “burn the book”.

Maybe I should have continued to ignore it. Catch-22 situation.

CoS acknowledges Members’ achievements. They have publicised my bdsm books.

If anyone is concerned about the allegations against me, PM me. I promise to reply (possibly not same day).

#177460 - 07/19/06 01:43 AM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: False_Messiah78]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Perhaps you should discuss having this title removed from the site with the appropriate Administrators. If a book is indeed spreading mistruths about the CoS and its Members, or otherwise printing misleading infomation it probably should not be on the site, no? <<

Whilst Magister Paradise's comments are valid from our point of view, the fact it is that Gavin Badderly was writing the book as a work of journalism and not as a text intended to represent The Church of Satan and thus it could be considered rather unfortunate that in such a work the journalistic net has to be spread in order to incorporate a wider perspective for its varied audience.

It does seem that Rev. Badderly suffers the same penchant of not checking all his facts like many other journalists - that said, the book is an enjoyable and entertaining read.

There is no need to remove the book from the CoS site. I am sure Magus Gilmore is well aware of its contents and probably puts into a similar perspective that I have just outlined.

The book still puts correct information out there, Magister Paradise is simply saying that it also includes information that he personally would have liked to have seen left out. One has to use their discretion - those people able to do so are likely to be the ones we would be more interested in. If they can't sort the wheat from the chaff on their own we wouldn't want them anyway.

I should remind you that Rev. Badderly is the senior and most experienced CoS representative here in the U.K and is an excellent proponent of church information.

I'm not suggesting you do not take certain information into consideration but if I were you I'd forget relying on endorsements or condemnations from others and make up your own mind.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#177461 - 07/19/06 03:55 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Quote:

I should remind you that Rev. Badderly is the senior and most experienced CoS representative here in the U.K and is an excellent proponent of church information.

It is impossible for you to remind me of something if I had never been told that information in the first place.

Quote:

I'm not suggesting you do not take certain information into consideration but if I were you I'd forget relying on endorsements or condemnations from others and make up your own mind.

The whole idea of reading the book would be to gain further information and insight. Before I go reading somebody's account of an organization or movement I like to know whether it is a reliable source.

I have very limited funds right now so I am careful as to how I spend my money. Spending it on innacurate information would not be a wise choice, would it?

Thank you for your input on this matter.

Edit: After reading this again it seems condescending - that wasn't my intention. I'm not going to edit the text, but note that I do value all your input on the matter. You have all made very good points and they have not gone unconsidered.

Edited by False_Messiah78 (07/21/06 05:07 PM)

SETI@Home Team

#177462 - 07/26/06 10:30 AM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: False_Messiah78]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I just checked Ebay, and it seems that a copy of Lucifer Rising is going for rather cheap. If you find you don't like it, you'll just be out, say, $5, I think it was.

When I first read Lucifer Rising, I was confused and miffed, because it does contain a lot of extraneous stuff that isn't on real Satanism, including a few interviews with some profoundly dumb people. But, when I read it later, I found it to be an insightful and useful read, because I realized that it isn't meant to be just a biography on real Satanism, but an exploration of everything that has led up to real Satanism, and has led from real Satanism. I learned lots of new things about the Western history and culture of all things diabolical.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#177463 - 07/27/06 02:25 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock &#8216;n&#8217; Roll [Re: TrojZyr]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
It sounds like, while not a fool-proof description of Satanism, this book should be on the shelf of anyone interested in Western occultism.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#177464 - 10/18/06 08:14 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: TrojZyr]
Hagen von Tronje Offline
CoS Priest

Funny thing, I actually liked the interviews with the idiotic "Satanists" like Glenn Benton. Why? Because I got the feeling that Reverend Baddeley was mocking them. He asked them to speak their mind, and so they did. All two brain cells of it. It gave me a wry grin to see them allowed a forum to make asses of themselves, juxtaposed right alongside the ones who make sense (King Diamond, for example).

#177465 - 10/18/06 08:54 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock &#8216;n&#8217; Roll [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
prelati Offline

Loc: England
It's generally regarded as a bad idea to answer your critics - for good reason - but in this particular context, perhaps you'll forgive this exception.

To those who had kind words for my little opus - a thousand thanks! I can only blush, stare at my shoes, and remind you that if nobody buys books, it makes us scribes redundant creatures indeed.

As for the criticisms... All opinions are valid, and I, probably more than most, am aware that 'Lucifer Rising' is far from perfect. Would I write it differently today? Of course. In a sense, no book is ever finished (just ask my long suffering editors), you just shoo it out into the world when you think you've done the best job you can. Would I change it in the ways suggested by some of the less enthusiastic readers?...

Magister Paradise: Thanks for your positive criticisms, but the book you describe is not a book about Satanism and popular culture - my subject - but a book about the Church of Satan. There's already an excellent book on this very topic by Blanche Barton (which I thoroughly recommend). To refuse to give 'the oxygen of publicity' to those you disapprove of for whatever reason would've been an untenable approach that would've fatally compromised the book. Many who liked the book, said they enjoyed its balanced tone. Inevitably, some have damned it as being a pro-LaVey puff job...

I'm well aware of the difficulties of representing Satanism in a public arena. In my experience, presenting your perspective with clarity and honesty puts your case far more effectively than refusing to accept that a lunatic fringe even exists. I came to LaVeyan Satanism by looking through all of the options and seeing it as the most valid and inspirational. I expect my readers - those whose opinions I value - to follow a similar path. If nothing else, 'Lucifer Rising' contains a few of the last recorded words with Anton LaVey. Are you really suggesting people forgo those for fear they encounter interviews with less enlightening intellects?

Miss Graham: I can only assure you that I made many efforts to contact you while researching that section of the book. Your magazine appeared to have been inoperative at the time, and in these pre-internet days I relied on contacts within the occult world, sadly to no avail. You certainly seemed to be 'lying low'. 'Lucifer Rising' was heavily researched - both from documents of every stripe and numerous personal interviews - perhaps if you troubled read the rest of it you might agree. I was particularly pleased, for example, to track down Kip Trevor and Sister Naama - both interesting walk-on parts in Satanism's history. If there are errors, or indeed 'allegations' against you (I can't find any), then I'd love to hear about them. I thought your interview in 'Rule Satannia' (RIP) was fascinating.

Perhaps one of the reasons for not answering your critics, is the danger of going on interminably... For all of its faults, 'Lucifer Rising' did introduce a lot of people to Satanism in general, and LaVeyan Satanism specifically. I know this, because they tell me, and that's something I am proud of. There's always space for improvement - evolution perhaps - and for those who dislike 'Lucifer...', the best remedy for my inadequacies would be to answer with a better book of your own. I'm serious. I'd love to read it!

#177466 - 10/23/06 12:00 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Oh, now I see the humor in it, and can relax. I was saying that when I was a much younger Satanist, I was sensitive to unsatanism being sold as or in the same package as Satanism, so I was worried about readers mistaking Benton for real Satanism. I didn't fully understand the author's intentions at the time, and I certainly didn't know he was CoS-affiliated.

The quotes from Benton are classic, though. I almost can't believe that much crazy-stupid resides inside one person.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#177467 - 11/06/06 10:50 PM Re: Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock ‘n’ Roll [Re: Matt]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
It was an informative book. That and Lords of Chaos. If you happen to be into the metal scene that is or are just a book nut about occult topics in general.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Quaark 

Forum Stats
12155 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405735 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements