Topic Options
#186620 - 09/03/06 03:12 PM Viewing problem involving the Arcade
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Canada
Magister,

Sometimes when I go from the Arcade to the Main Index, only three forums are visible - they are the first three of the board. In order to be able to see all the forums, I have to go back to the Arcade and go to the Main Index again (I guess it's like retracing my steps), and then the other forums are visible again. Is this a cookies problem?
Undercroft Sign Up

#186621 - 09/03/06 03:31 PM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Enchantress]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I just went back and forth about 25 times trying to duplicate this, and got nothing. Ditto for when I logged out and logged back in without checking the "remember me" box. Even totally logged out you should see more than just the first three forums when viewing the main page.

I'm guessing (just a guess) that your browser if occasionally failing to load the entire page. That does happen to me sometimes (though never happened here), half a page will load up and then the browser quits loading. I just hit refresh or back and try again.

Of course, the arcade is new and has had a glitch or two, so maybe that's it. With no error message it's hard to say.

#186622 - 09/03/06 03:40 PM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Thank you very much for trying it so many times.

Well the page I've seen is a complete page. While viewing it, I've tried to click the "Show favourite" link, to see if that would do any good. What it then showed me was only one forum, so I clicked it again to "Show all forums" and it went back to showing all three of them.

It's happened a few times now, over the last couple weeks. I've found that if I go back to the Arcade, then back to the forums - it'll show all of them. This only seems to happen when I go to the Arcade and play nothing, then try to view the Main Index. If I play something, then everything's normal.

It fixes it too, if I log out and log back in.
Undercroft Sign Up

#186623 - 09/03/06 11:08 PM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Enchantress]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I've (very) occasionally seen a similar problem, though never when coming back from the Arcade -- only the first several forums show, as if my account had been downgraded. I just hit reload and all is then as it should be. I had thought it was just a connection problem on my end until you mentioned it. It seems there's a very small glitch lurking somewhere, though it's clearly not a major issue.

-Chess

#186624 - 09/05/06 01:50 AM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Chess]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Well it just happened again - only this time there were NO Forums at all!

I pulled the address off the top, just in case that may help identify the problem:

http://www.satannet.com/lttd/ubbthreads.php?Cat=4
Undercroft Sign Up

#186625 - 09/08/06 11:01 PM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Enchantress]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Well, with this URL I figured it out, sort of.

Miss Enchantress is being redirected to cat=4 forums in this case; cat=4 forums are a set that she does not have access to so none are displayed (they are displayed to me, which is how I figured it out).

In the first case, she was directed to cat=1 forums, the News and Announcement forums, which she of course can see.

Under normal circumstances she ought to be redirected to cat=0 which would be all forums, displaying only those she has access to.

As for why she was directed to only one set of forums instead of the whole lot, I can only speculate that it is a very tiny coding error somewhere. I've never experienced it though, so it could also be something else (maybe a browser issue?). This is all I'm capable of figuring out on my own, if it really is any kind of coding error it would be in the hands of Magister Ventrue to do anything else, if anything else need be done.

#186626 - 09/10/06 01:38 AM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Warlock Leviathan,

Thank you for your gracious assistance in this matter. If it's any help, I'm using the IE (Internet Explorer) browser. I tried deleting my cookies and that has not helped. Everything's okay if I go to the arcade and actually play something - the problem only occurs when I don't play anything but just look.
Undercroft Sign Up

#186627 - 09/10/06 01:48 AM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Enchantress]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

As a quick fix, if you don't feel like going back and forth to the arcade to correct it, just replace the number at the end of the URL with "0" so that cat=0 and load that.

#186628 - 09/10/06 02:13 AM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

I've just tried it again, and this time I get all the forums - but with this address where there is no Cat #:

http://www.satannet.com/lttd/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

But all seems to be well now! Thank you once again!
Undercroft Sign Up

#186629 - 09/10/06 02:19 AM Re: Viewing problem involving the Arcade [Re: Enchantress]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Yes, cat= is the same as cat=0 so you could just as well delete the "4" from cat=4 (or cat= whatever) and get the forum listing back to normal.

Forum Stats
12104 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405514 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements