Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#186682 - 09/04/06 12:54 AM Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Whilst this has been noted in a different thread, I thought it worth posting here. Whilst he may have been in the spotlight at times for the wrong reason, he did have a significant impact towards changing the public's perception on animals, particularly reptiles.

SOURCE

From News.com.au
=======================================

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead

September 04, 2006 02:14pm

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest and reportedly into his heart .

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) was called about 11am (AEST) and an emergency services helicopter was flown to the crew's boat on Batt Reef, off the coast near Cairns, with a doctor and emergency services paramedic on board.

Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

One report today said his American-born wife Terri was trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania at the time of the tragedy.

Police in Tasmania said they had made contact with her and have passed on the news of her husband's death.

The Irwins have two children - a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a three-year-old son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin.

Steve Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

In an sad twist, it has been reported that his new documentary was aimed at demystifying the stingray.

Irwin's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

#186683 - 09/04/06 01:02 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
In all honestly, I don't care. But maybe that is because I am having a really messed up week.

In any event, I am sure the Discover Channel will hold a Crocodile Hunter marathon followed by a biography. I don't have cable, so I woudn't know.

#186684 - 09/04/06 01:08 AM A Truly Noble Death [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
Ironically, I just posted what I thought was an amusing video about him just a day or two ago in the humor section. I hope it was seen as it was intended, as the more I learn about this man, the more respect and curiosity I have about him.

In all seriousness and respect--considering that on a long enough time-line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero, I'd have to say the way he died was as remarkable as the way he lived and seems to describe him in a way.

I keep thinking of him like a Klingon dying in an amazing battle. Honestly, how many people die from Manta-ray barb trauma? This is as amazing to me as the fact that he lived as long as he did, considering his activities.

As "honor deaths" go, it beats the hell out of most alternatives.

Hail the Crocodile Hunter--who died well!

Edited by Quiddity (09/04/06 01:09 AM)

#186685 - 09/04/06 01:11 AM Re: A Truly Noble Death [Re: Quiddity]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Your comments were definitely seen as intended Quiddity. I don't think there is any question about that.

#186686 - 09/04/06 01:11 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I have posted my reply there, but of all news I've heard lately I am actually most moved by this. I may not give a rat's ass if a thousand people are blown up in a third world country, but to hear that Irwin has died doing what he loved to do is tragic.

His detractors are many, but they had neither the skill nor the lust for life that Irwin did. Find a man more content than he was.

I am sad to hear of any fellow animal man meeting his end. We are a separate breed, and he was nothing if not an animal man. I, for one, will miss old Steve.

#186687 - 09/04/06 01:13 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

For any who DO care... here are a couple more links to further information.

Tributes for a 'true original'
Irwin shaped by his early life

#186688 - 09/04/06 01:22 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Here is hoping that his legacy will last in those he inspired.

I see that he also was behind the International Crocodile Rescue. I mention this, Leviathan, in reference to your interest in and comments on reptiles.

#186689 - 09/04/06 01:32 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
WyckedImp Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Washington
Very sad indeed. The magic and fun that he brought to my children, and me, will surely be missed.

Hail Steve for the enchantment and joy that he brought to the (mostly undeserving) world.

#186690 - 09/04/06 01:43 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Indeed, I can think of few other people that took "live every moment to it's fullest" with as much enthusiasm as he did. I can't help but think that he would have had few regrets about what he did with his time and there's no better way to die than that.

#186691 - 09/04/06 01:45 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You said in the other thread:

He would certainly now be worried about the stingray getting a bad wrap as a result.

This is definitely true. I know if he had one final wish it would be that the animal was not blamed for this. He knew as I know that there are occupational hazards and that animals will act on their instincts and are blameless for it. It is our responsibility in approaching them that we be the ones to bear the risk.

He is not the first, by the way, to die of mishap in this line of work. Famous herpetologist Karl P. Schmidt died of a boomslang bite in 1957, which he believed (not unjustifiably at the time) to be not especially dangerous. He was wrong, and actually wrote of his experiences under the effects of the venom until he died.

Amusingly, I think if Irwin could issue one last public statement it would be, "I hope the stingray is okay."

#186692 - 09/04/06 02:07 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
UmbraeNoctem Offline
Banned

Loc: Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, USA
Quote:

Amusingly, I think if Irwin could issue one last public statement it would be, "I hope the stingray is okay."

Without a doubt.

I remember when he first aired on TV years ago and everyone thought he was nuts and his popularity grew like wildfire.

He lived his life to it's fullest and died doing what he enjoyed. For that, he has earned at least some of my respect.

Alien Elite.
Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#186693 - 09/04/06 02:08 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

As you know probably more than most, for too long society likes to blame the animal for being...well.. an animal. The main examples that come to mind are the crocodile and shark. When someone is taken by a shark, many jump on the bandwagon about how 'our' beaches are not safe and need to be protected... ie Kill sharks.

In saying this, there has been a trend over the past few years that families of victims beg for the sharks to be left alone as they are not to blame for what happened. There IS a growing respect for the domain of other animals.

You probably do not know of this man, but Rodney Fox is quite famous in Australia. Many years ago, he was attacked by a shark not far from where I live. Somehow, he survived (see pics below for why I say somehow)

The bite
The scar

For some time he massacred sharks in 'retribution'. He then saw the problem with this and now fiercly protects them and has a museum a few minutes from here.

It's this change in attitude that must be fostered, and what Irwin did so well. He used his unique brand of entertainment to get a very important message across. He succeeded. It is such a shame that he could not personally continue this message.

Quote:

You know, I think you would be right on the mark with that one. I can see him saying that right now.

#186694 - 09/04/06 02:18 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
darkangel1210 Offline

Loc: England
Today is truly a sad day because the world lost someone who was passionate about his work to the very end. I thoroughly enjoyed watching his shows as a little girl and dreamed of one day going to Australia to see him in person.

At the very least his legacy will be remembered in the work that he lived for.

A great loss indeed.
What does not kill me, makes me stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche Man is the cruelest animal - Friedrich Nietzsche Governments should be afraid of their people, not people of their governments - V, 'V for Vendetta'

#186695 - 09/04/06 02:31 AM ...but then again, he's no John Ritter [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
It's ironic that we're discussing modes of death right now. Just a couple hours ago, I managed--by way of a series of mis-clicks, to end up staring at the death of John Ritter, an actor in a 3rd-rate sitcom who never really did anything to offend anyone--which in itself is a little offensive to me. I'm embarrassed to know that he managed to die on September 11th (of 2003), but did so of a heart condition while filming another lame sitcom.

For contrast, I don't even need to make any jokes about John Ritter--considering how many Hollywood produced. Oops. I said I wouldn't do that.

As difficult as it is to admit, perhaps his death wasn't a total waste, considering the comedic contrast and reinforcement he accidentally added here to the polar-opposite death of the Crocodile Hunter.

Those who don't make good backdrops for those who do.

#186696 - 09/04/06 02:34 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I actually knew who Rodney Fox was when I was five years old, and I read about his story. He went from hating sharks to being an advocate for their protection. He came to terms with the fact that he was bitten because he was in their domain and took that risk, not because they are malicious or evil.

Irwin was injured by animals before, but he never blamed them. I've been bitten by nonvenomous snakes (never been envenomated and don't plan to be), spiders, dogs, cats, had the holy hell scratched out of me, and here is proof of love: try cleaning up after my animals.

He knew and understood animals on their terms, something most people are simply incapable of. He knew they were not "just like people but not as smart," they are just what they are and perfect at it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12090 Members
73 Forums
43862 Topics
405449 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements