Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#186727 - 09/04/06 04:41 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Svengali]
Achilles Offline

The ironic thing is that he survived all the deadly snakes and other animals he handled, but he was killed instantly by the "pussy of the sea", the sting ray.

I actually liked his show and it was sad to see him go. He lived life to the fullest and loved every minute of it. It was really a matter of when this would happen. He will be missed.

#186728 - 09/04/06 04:50 PM News Flash [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
JSBlack Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: South Wales
I wasn't going to post this but...

Attachments
367954-not_killed_by_sting_ray.jpg (105 downloads)

#186729 - 09/04/06 05:14 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Svengali]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
Hitting the nail on the head !!!

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#186730 - 09/04/06 07:42 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Adonis_Mendes Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here & Now
( A repost of my downstairs reply, since it's also appropriate here as well. )

I just found out today of his death, and it hit me rather hard, because I admired the man so much!

Though the man would be deemed as reckless with his own safety when he was alive that was basically what he was taught by his father. His rustic style with animal wrangling, along with his passion for wildlife and the charisma that he had, made him the undisputed face of wildlife conservation throughout the world.

He was among the first people who sparked my interest of reptiles. He, in my most humble opinion, was and still is, the vanguard of wildlife conservation. No other individual could compete with the undying zeal and passion he held for animal species from all walks of life, nor better communicate their importance to millions around globe.

Figuratively speaking, he was no doubt a magister of his craft. For that I salute him!

Hail Steve Irwin!!!

He will be missed!

#186731 - 09/04/06 08:51 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
If it was Jeff Corwin or Mark O'Shea, I'd be a bit more disappointed, but Steve Irwin's behavior with dangerous animals begged for something like this to happen. His television programs were very light on educational information, and instead would focus on Steve's reckless regard for his own safety and at times the safety of the animals he "worked" with (or more accurately, antagonized the fuck out of).

The only surprises here are that it didn't happen sooner and that it wasn't a reptile.

#186732 - 09/04/06 10:19 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
Good.

I hated that moron!
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#186733 - 09/05/06 12:23 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Svengali]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

He was an obnoxious moron who got what was coming to him.

"When in another's lair...."

With respect Magister..

He was an obnoxious moron who..

A. Set high goals
B. Achieved them
C. Made a tremendous positive impact on animal conservation
D. Made millions of dollars (put back into his dream)
E. Changed the world rather than be changed by it

I would say that this is a fine example of 'walking the walk', and he led the life he dreamed of rather than whine about what he did not have. This attitude serves a better example of 'how to live' rather than 'how not to'.

So some may think he was over the top or obnoxious. He still affected life more than most ever dare to dream.

Also, he was swimming over the stingray, which felt cornered between him and the cameraman. There was no handling.

#186734 - 09/05/06 12:28 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Adonis_Mendes]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

Figuratively speaking, he was no doubt a magister of his craft. For that I salute him!

See my most recent post. I agree completely.

#186735 - 09/05/06 07:50 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
If he set up wildlife preserves where the animals can go about their lives unmolested by humans, I'll give him some credit.

I like animals better than I do humans and am not of the opinion that they are here for entertainment or sport.

Edited by Svengali (09/05/06 08:45 AM)
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#186736 - 09/05/06 09:04 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Svengali]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

I, too, value non-human animals more than that of humans. Of course, they are not here for entertainment or sport. I do not need to 'see' the animals in order to appreciate them.

But..

Most human beings are unable to operate in the same manner. They can't appreciate anything past the bigmac they are stuffing into their mouth. There are those out there who do seek to destroy the habitat of animals, and it is only by raising awareness of this issue in conjunction with public interest in conservation that the issue will be adequately addressed.

Creating a reserve for animals to protect this habitat is, obviously, a valuable idea. But unless fundamental changes are made to the manner in which the world thinks and operates, we will be left with nothing but the reserves. This, in my opinion, hardly meets the definition of conservation:

Conservation - the act of conserving; prevention of injury, decay, waste, or loss; preservation: conservation of wildlife; conservation of human rights. source

I do not believe Irwin's antics inspire animal cruelty. As we both know, there are always those who take a message or philosophy and twist it for their own needs. The ones who would abuse animals in this context would certainly be a minority, and the positive impact that Irwin has made would offset this 100 times over.

His work extended well beyond documentaries and Australia Zoo, including International Crocodile Rescue and working with conservation funds from around the globe.

My respect for Steve Irwin is not just regarding his 'mission', but also his ability to achieve it.

Edited by BrehtJB (09/05/06 09:12 AM)

#186737 - 09/05/06 09:48 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Though I wasn't really a fan of him, he had great enthusiasm for his work and you can tell that he really enjoyed what did. At least he died doing something that he liked, as per his wishes. RIP Steve Irwin...

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#186738 - 09/05/06 10:08 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

What if I ran through the streets and grabbed people's asses and said "crickey!, what a fine specimen!", I would be arrested, why is allright to do that to animals but not people?

#186739 - 09/05/06 10:42 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
The_Fool Offline

Loc: Far East
Latest news said it was his fatal decision to turn his attention while filming something to a group of passing stingray that led to his death. A large bullray suddenly stopped and pierced him right through the heart while releasing poison, killing him instantly.

In my opinion, the animal was just acting defensively as he thought Steve was a predator, and should not be blamed for it. Steve must have been caught by surprise as he was not prepared to deal with the animal in this situation... He should have known better.

#186740 - 09/05/06 12:24 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I just tended to see Irwin as, well, an Aussie, so Itypically forgave him for getting too close to, say, a crocodile, and then cheerily saying, "Crikey, he's an angry little bugga!" or casually noting that there was a rattlesnake between his legs. I'd expect the descendants of British outcasts and brigands who live on an island with so many poisonous lifeforms that they even have a poisonous mollusc to be more than a bit eccentric. Hey, in such a dangerous world, you might as well be a go-getter, what?

He cared about crocs and other critters deeply, and that interest and passion often caused him to toss caution into the wind. But, like I and others have said, his brand of passionate risk-taking based on an authentic lifelong interest is a cut above, say, typical frat-boy risk-taking or what have you.

And, if Irwin inspired those Big Mac-eating ignorants to think more about the importance of conserving and protecting even ugly or "evil" animals like crocodiles and snakes, then he performed a worthwhile service in the end. Sometimes, you need glitz, glamor, and pizzazz to get a message across, because people don't listen otherwise.

Yes, I imagine Irwin and Corwin and even Jack Hanna do sometimes annoy the animals they're studying or displaying, but their conduct is not grossly abusive or traumatizing based on what I've seen, and I imagine the animals get over it pretty quickly once said hosts move on to the next segment, just as they get over other daily annoyances or brief stressful moments. I suppose I'm arguing that the ends ultimately justify the means in these particular cases.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#186741 - 09/05/06 12:29 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: DickSteele]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
My god, that would make an awesome program.

"On Sociology Today, I'll be stalking the elusive lumpenproletariat. Ah! There's the female. Look at the size of 'er! Notice the ill-fitting floral pants and the baggy shirt that doesn't match. And here comes the male. Oh, he's a 'uge bugga, too! You can tell him by the Budweiser baseball cap and the grease-stained Nike t-shirt..."

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements