Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#186742 - 09/05/06 01:23 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Svengali]
Priestess Palmer Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Viking Bay
Quote:

"When in another's lair...."

I think Steve Irwin agreed with that sentiment anyway.

#186743 - 09/05/06 04:09 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: DickSteele]
Achilles Offline

There is more to what he did than that. If it wasn't for people like him, many of these animals would have been dead and still stereotyped as "vicious." He locked up thousands and thousands of acres of habitat that will be forever protected for these animals. Most people will never be able to do a quarter of the things he did.

#186744 - 09/05/06 06:53 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Colonel_Akula Offline

CoS Reverend

Loc: The North
I'm with you my Brother. I never quite jived with his perky, ADD-infused personality but his love for reptiles, amphibians and all things furry or clawed was undeniable.

As a fellow collector of reptiles and arachnids I am saddened by his passing.

If nothing else, he perished doing what he loved and accomplished more tham most ever will.

HS!!!
"We are evolutionaries in the purest sense of the word. Spiritually and intellectually we are transcending a world grown rotten and we are transvaluing values, because for us, the highest value is irrefutable."

"Delay is like Death"
Peter the Great.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Orwell.

#186745 - 09/05/06 08:09 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: DickSteele]
man_mind Offline
Banned

1. Steve Irwin was a stamp collecter. He did nothing with animals.

People around the globe continued to run over snakes on purpose, because they were a sign of evil, or too dangerous, etc. They contued to shoot pitts on sight, and crocs for the same reason.

As a Satanist, this scenerio would make me furious.

BUT, JACK ASS:

2. Steve Irwin put his life on the line (Blood, sweat and tears, (no HALF ASS SHIT - like some opinions I've been reading) and helped aid new boys and girls to understand their place (the animals) and the precautions to take to stay alive when near them. Respect, and Caution. Can't say the same for most Texans who go on the yearly or monthly (Or whatever-y) Rattle Snake Butcher.

People who harm snakes (Snakes being the representitive of all animals) are dead meat.

Those who respect animals, will live longer. (According to me, as in, if I find out.....)

In order to differentiate between the two scenerios, you need a mediator, who has....yeah, what you're showing me you lack here, BALLS.

Stever had'em.

RIP Steve. I'll be sure to spit on those who do less but say more.

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#186746 - 09/05/06 09:05 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: TrojZyr]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

That was a good post.

Quote:

I just tended to see Irwin as, well, an Aussie, so Itypically forgave him

It's good to hear that mate.

You make good points regarding the ends justifies the means. Another example, which could potentially stir up more debate, is that of zoos. I for one, do not like the idea of animals being kept in cages on display for the public. But.. Without the chance to see these animals, many of the public would cease to care. It is an at times sad trade-off, but zoos do have an important place, a very imporatant place, in animal conservation.

#186747 - 09/05/06 09:06 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: The_Fool]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

In my opinion, the animal was just acting defensively as he thought Steve was a predator, and should not be blamed for it. Steve must have been caught by surprise as he was not prepared to deal with the animal in this situation... He should have known better.

On saying that, Steve always did say, that any time he was bitten, or anything that happened was HIS fault, never the animals. He had a profound respect and love for them.

#186748 - 09/05/06 09:07 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: DickSteele]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

What if I ran through the streets and grabbed people's asses and said "crickey!, what a fine specimen!", I would be arrested, why is allright to do that to animals but not people?

I can't help but be thrown by the fine imagery of your example.

I do think, however, that it is not a good comparison. I mean, what would that do for 'ass' welfare?

Technically, one can argue that it is wrong to go and even film animals. For entering their environment is to allow them to grow accustomed to man, for example. But again, to maintain public interest in animal conservation does require things like entertaining documentaries.

#186749 - 09/05/06 10:24 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: TrojZyr]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

My god, that would make an awesome program.

"On Sociology Today, I'll be stalking the elusive lumpenproletariat. Ah! There's the female. Look at the size of 'er! Notice the ill-fitting floral pants and the baggy shirt that doesn't match. And here comes the male. Oh, he's a 'uge bugga, too! You can tell him by the Budweiser baseball cap and the grease-stained Nike t-shirt..."

Now that's funny! You had me rolling on the floor in tears. I could just hear Mr. Irwin saying those things.
"Crikey! Look at the nose on that one!"

I love your humor, TrojZyr and you always know just where to inject it.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#186750 - 09/05/06 11:37 PM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

I for one, do not like the idea of animals being kept in cages on display for the public.

I understand where you're coming from, but one should also consider that zoo inhabitants have lives which are much easier than their free-roaming brothers. I'm sure their stress level is pretty close to zero.

As far as Mr. Irwin is concerened, I like the guy. He had sincerity, energy, and enthuisiasm which were off the scale. The world has lost an amazing individual.

#186751 - 09/06/06 01:12 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Further to this..

From the Herald Sun:

Queensland title searches revealed companies associated with the Irwins bought 33,730ha between 2001 and 2004 for conservation projects, for about $3 million AU. He earned roughly $4million AU a year.

Media reports also list properties in Tasmania, Vanuatu, Fiji and the US, dedicated to create "national parks".

Specifically, these are the breeding programs at Australia Zoo and conservation projects supported by Steve and Terri Irwin:

Breeding Programs
Southern cassowary
Fijian crested iguana
Koala
Bilby
Rhinoceros iguana
Giant aldabran land tortoise
Mary River turtle
Peregrine falcon
Komodo dragon
Asian small-clawed otter
Australian green python
Black cockatoo
Burmese python
Canopy goanna
Bush stone curlew
Death adder
Echidna
Jabiru
Woma python
Red kangaroo
Reticulated python
Rusty monitor
Saltwater crocodile
Tasmanian devil
Comon wombat
Yakka skink

Conservation Projects
The Australian Wildlife Hospital
Tiger conservation programs in Sumatra, Bhutan and India
Elephant conservation programs in Cambodia and Vietnam
Cheetah conservation program in South Africa

#186752 - 09/06/06 01:33 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: London]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

I understand where you're coming from, but one should also consider that zoo inhabitants have lives which are much easier than their free-roaming brothers. I'm sure their stress level is pretty close to zero.

I agree. Though of course it does depend on the quality of the enclosure and care.

#186753 - 09/06/06 02:06 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
And, there's always a potential middle ground. Many zoos are working to create better habitats and more entertainment options for their animals, and I applaud those efforts. So, you don't have to stick an animal in a cage or tiny enclosure, nor should you.

I remember seeing a baboon, I think it was, in an incredibly small, drab enclosure at the Denver Zoo. He just sat in the corner, facing the wall, rocking back and forth. It broke my heart. But, a zoo doesn't have to be that way, if people put in the time, creativity, and money to create a real home for the animals, and a well-designed zoo can help to really excite and educate people.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#186754 - 09/06/06 02:16 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: dragondancer]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Thank you.

I can picture Irwin tackling and wrestling a guy casually eating a biggie fries and a coke, so that he can sit on top of him while showing the audience his gold fillings.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#186755 - 09/06/06 05:43 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: TrojZyr]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

I can picture Irwin tackling and wrestling a guy casually eating a biggie fries and a coke, so that he can sit on top of him while showing the audience his gold fillings.

This is the the basic premise for the Bum Hunter segment of Bum Fights. There is also an imitation movie called "Bum Hunts." Ironically, both feature characters based on Steve Irwin.

#186756 - 09/06/06 06:21 AM Re: Steve Irwin 'The Crocodile Hunter' is dead [Re: TrojZyr]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

Thank you.

I think we should start the program with Germaine Greer as the first specimen. Let's dissect and analyze the peculiar habits of the feminist species. We can poke her and provoke her into snapping, see what makes her tick.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43641 Topics
404158 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements