Topic Options
#187826 - 09/10/06 08:15 PM Blind Comments
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
I have a suggestion for future development on LttD.

Perhaps each strata could be assigned a blind comment feature--like the BCC on email, which only equal to or greater than profiles could view.

I often see useful opportunities to comment about an outsider's post, but not in such a way that only member's can see. I'm sure higher ranks could members as well.

Just a thought...

#187827 - 09/10/06 08:29 PM Re: Blind Comments [Re: Quiddity]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

I really like this idea but have no clue how hard it would be for someone to implement it.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#187828 - 09/10/06 08:36 PM Re: Blind Comments [Re: Quiddity]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
What is a PM?

#187829 - 09/10/06 08:38 PM Re: Blind Comments [Re: Nemo]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

What is a PM?

PMs are individual. I'm thinking of view by strata.

Edited by Quiddity (09/10/06 08:57 PM)

#187830 - 09/13/06 09:34 PM Re: Blind Comments [Re: Quiddity]
deadhedned Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
From the look of this board I would think that it was built based off of a php design.....if that is the case with admin rights to the board anonymous posting could be implemented. I'm told there are also some hacks to do that as well but php is pretty hard to crack through as it was designed by a bunch of hackers to begin with.

#187831 - 09/13/06 09:50 PM Re: Blind Comments [Re: deadhedned]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I'm told there are also some hacks to do that as well but php is pretty hard to crack through as it was designed by a bunch of hackers to begin with.

What would be the point of hacking anything here? Aside from being rapidly and rightly banned, only a fool would risk the consequences of invading COS security--even if successful.

My purpose is legitimate functional enhancement.

#187832 - 09/16/06 03:05 PM Re: Blind Comments [Re: Quiddity]
Tex_Talionis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amarillo, TX
For clarity's sake.

A "hack," in terms of forum software and most web-based software like communities, is a Modification to the software that provides features not originally put into the software.

Implementing the "Arcade" feature is usually considered a "Hack."

Hacking most web-based software usually deals with adding and in some cases removing code that allows more function-ability by either adding features or taking away features one doesn't find useful.

I don't believe anyone meant in a malicious manner. The terms "hack" and "hacking" are seen by most as purely malicious attempts by idiots to destroy software, but in the world of programming it's has a broader meaning.

As far as if it could be done, yes it can. And php wasn't neccisarly developed by 'hackers' per se. It's also not that difficult to learn as if you know C/C++, it makes it even easier to learn.

Implenting small changes is also pretty easy as there are tons of "hacks/mods" available for most popular board software.
Citizen Infernal Empire
Test Everything.

"We live in deeds not years.
You can be what you will to be."
-General George S. Patton

"The things that come to those who wait may be things left by those who got there first!"

#187833 - 09/16/06 05:05 PM Re: Blind Comments [Re: Tex_Talionis]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

The way he wrote the post looks iffy--but perhaps it's just phrasing. I hope you are correct. I would love to see this happen.

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405206 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements