Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#18842 - 01/04/04 12:51 PM In That Case [Re: Jack_Bauer]
Magister_Harris Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
Then let's look at the whole post:

Quote:

I assume it was not your intention, but your advice comes off as if you were encouraging people to just get involved in any "hobby" or spare time activity in order to make their life happier.

Actually, this was my intention, entirely.

So many times people are so busy looking for "the answer," that they don't see it until it blasts you like a brick to the side of the head. Yes... those "shallow" activites do, in fact, enrich us physically, intellectually, and emotionally. For example... "Mediocrity Today," as you so insulting put it, is a hobby for me. Yes... sorry folks, sorry to burst your bubble... I ain't gettin' rich financially doing this show.

I am, however, gaining riches through the intellectual and emotional stimulation this show provides me. And that, to me, is worth just as much to me as any dollar figure I could get paid to do this. Sounds awfully fulfilling for something that's just a "hobby," don't you think?

Now, I have another "hobby:" weightlifting. I weightlift 5 days a week, for about an hour a day. Now, what have I gained from it? Size, strength, health and heightened awareness. Yes... heightened awareness. The stimulation of the muscles in my body, as well as the release of adrenaline into my bloodstream everytime I workout, increases my awareness of my surroundings. It helps to put me in touch with my natural animal instincts. Again, awfully stimulating for something that's just a "hobby."

Quote:

This sounds like a shallow advice from "Mediocrity Today", rather than "Satanism today".

Now, that just hurts my feelings. Anyone up for a game of "sushi" to help make me feel better about myself?

(side note: free CD-R copy of any episode of Satanism Today: The Radio Show to the first person that emails me at David_Harris@radiofreesatan.com and explains that comment.)

Quote:

The mediocre herd needs "hobbies" to get their time by, instead of being creative and thinking for themselves.

I think that I've explained in enough detail that one's hobbies do, in fact, lead to creative expression and thinking for one's self. If you are still having an issue with that concept, well then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

Quote:

The term "hobby" as it is used today implicates a life where you need some special activity in order to have at least something in your life that you can enjoy for a while, something you need as a sort of compensation for a mediocre life, something you need to do in order to support the "hobby" industry made for those who aren't able to grasp what creativity means and at the same time stop thinking about a system that encourages you to have "hobbies".

From Dictionary.com
hob·by1
n. pl. hob·bies
An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

From The Satanic Bible pg. 81 Indulgence... Not Compulsion

"Satanism encourages its followers to indulge in their natural desires. Only by so doing can you be a completely satisfied person with no frustrations which can be harmful to yourself and others around you."

Again, those so busy looking for "the answer," are most often the ones that don't notice it beating them upside the skull.

Quote:

Enjoy your life, indulge in everything you like, but do it consciously as a reflection of what you are, instead of wasting your time trying to have "a happy time". You will just fool yourself.

Do something that you really enjoy, not just anything.

Besides repeating the entire sentiment of my post in this last phrase, you added the phrase "instead of wasting your time trying to have a 'happy time.'" Now, hobbies are one thing, happy times are another entirely. Neither of which would I consider a waste of time. Happy times for me include an enriching night out with friends, an evening of snuggling with the future Mrs. Harris, or playing that ever mentally-enriching and educational video game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (man, I love that flame thrower. ) Now, could I be more productive during these scant few hours of my life? Certainly. Is it a waste of my time to engage in these activities? Hell, no. Why? Because I find them enjoyable. Period. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Quote:

"Undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit."

Indeed.

My friend, you seem to be an intelligent, well-spoken individual. It does, however, seem like you may need to read the first sentence of my original post (not counting the plug for my show, of course,) and take it under advisement.

Edited by Sabbra_Cadabbra (01/04/04 01:06 PM)
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

#18843 - 01/04/04 01:15 PM Re: In That Case [Re: Magister_Harris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fantastic reply Mr. Harris!

And might I add a quote from the Doctor himself...

"Satan demands that you live your life as fully as you can, prosper by your own wits and avoid misery. You wouldn't believe what a tall order that is for most people!"

I know I will have alot of fun this year as I'm engaged to the love of my life!

And back to the original post topic, BRAVO for your post! Nothing more to add except I whole heartedly agree!

#18844 - 01/04/04 01:36 PM Re: In That Case [Re: Magister_Harris]
Solomon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Absolutely!

I say spend little time worrying about what the herd is up to (the time to is only if it effects you) and more time doing what pleases you.

Kudos on Satanism Today, I am glad it is one of your hobbies since I get enjoyment from listening to it when I have the time to do so. This goes for all of RadioFreeSatan as a whole.

Working out, and most definately Grand Theft Auto: Vice City are on the top of my list, along with college (yes, I enjoy school, strange, no?), eating, camping, photography, hell the list goes on. All of them enriching, none of them spent considering the herd.

Hey, if what I am doing is popular all of the sudden, so be it. I'm not going to forego dining at my favorite little bistro just because Italian food is now the latest fad. Nor will I stop using black and white film now that digital is all the rage. Fads, and the people that follow them come and go. My hobbies are my hobbies because of the life-lifting effect they give me.

So if it works for you, (and is legal), do it.
If not, don't subject yourself to it, unless masochism gives you pleasure.

And again Mr. Harris, thank you for doing Satanism Today.

All the way stars' green, gotta go.

#18845 - 01/04/04 01:52 PM Re: In That Case (edited) [Re: Magister_Harris]
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
Now you've made your point clear, Sir.

Again, I just wanted to show how your first posting came off.

It was not my intention to insult you or proove you wrong.

Your last answer excellently reflects what I had in mind when talking about indulgence.

Please take my apologize for being so harsh.

Edited by Lars (01/05/04 04:43 AM)

#18846 - 01/04/04 03:44 PM Re: Dare To Have Fun! [Re: Magister_Harris]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Hail!

Quote:

My answer is always the same... because Satanism, if nothing else, should be fun.

Yes! Yes, yes, yes. This is the whole point of it is it not? As the anti-thesis to spiritual religions, Satanists should be trying to have as much fun as possible.

It is the job of the Satanist to make the Christians hurry off to church to wash off the "taint". That old fashioned Satan that makes them genuflect and suck down communion wine like orange Tang.

Like that custard that cannot be nailed to a wall, a Satanist that can present a confusing image will keep the mindless bewildered for hours. Satanists are stero-typically supposed to be dour and unhappy, (not that this isn't a useful tool) but if one is perpetually truculent it's not conducive to Lesser Magic and makes the manipulation of others more difficult. Not to mention one feels like shit as well. If you put your body physically into a certain position you will soon manifest the kind of attitude that you are emulating. If one is constantly frowning, pretty soon you'll find yourself unhappy about something. If you are constantly walking around slack shouldered, eyes cast to the ground, you'll find yourself acting less assertive and more passive.

Aye. "Get a Life" in Satan Speaks comes to mind as a good essay to re-read. That and I would invite anyone that feels compelled to play the role of a perpetually sour-faced, eternally truculent, social crusading, Satanic Stooge to spend a few moments contemplating the picture of Anton LaVey on the back of Satan Speaks. Could that be a smile on the face of the founder of the Church of Satan?

Ha!

Hail to you Sabbra!

Hail Satan!

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#18847 - 01/04/04 08:03 PM Re: One thing [Re: Jack_Bauer]
MagistraNadramia Offline

CoS HighPriestess

Loc: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
Lars: "I assume it was not your intention, but your advice comes off as if you were encouraging people to just get involved in any "hobby" or spare time activity in order to make their life happier."

I didn't take his advice that way at all, mainly because of this statement, quoted by yourself:

"Shed that frown and find a hobby. One that you really enjoy. It doesn't have to be related to Satanism at all. The only criteria is that you have to enjoy doing it. If you don't, then there's no point."

"Mediocrity Today"

I really hope that I never see a remark like this again here regarding Sabbra's wonderful show.

Magistra Peggy Nadramia

Please email me with your membership questions - PMs may not be answered.
www.churchofsatan.com
HPNadramia@churchofsatan.com

#18848 - 01/04/04 08:15 PM Re: One thing [Re: Jack_Bauer]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
Splitting hairs, are we?

Maybe you should stop trying to make everything a serious debate. Or maybe dramatizing every point you make makes you happy...

#18849 - 01/04/04 08:15 PM Did I see the magic "S" word?? [Re: Magister_Harris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sushi???
Count me in!!!
I'll bring the ball!

Let's make it interesting...
A change of rules perhaps?
Any suggestions?

#18850 - 01/05/04 04:39 AM Re: One thing [Re: MagistraNadramia]
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
I see that my use of the word "mediocrity" was not appropriate and I told Mr.Harris I didn't want to insult him.

I apologize for being that harsh.

I realize that I really got him wrong, because of my inaccurate perception of his words.

#18851 - 01/05/04 03:00 PM Re: Dare To Have Fun! [Re: Magister_Harris]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Excellent, Mr. Harris!

Life is the great indulgence, so it makes sense to dive in and enjoy it. There are already so many people bemoaning it, grumbling about it, and just generally suffering from FUD (Fidgeting Until Death) Syndrome, so why not fill a different and ultimately more enjoyable niche?

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#18852 - 01/05/04 08:21 PM Re: Satanists are at WAR? huh?
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Maybe your friend is at war with himself/herself. I'm not at war with anybody, nor do I have need to be.
Do you go to war with the roaches in your apartment? Surely, they're pests, but do you value them highly enough to consider yourself at war with them? No, I would certainly not consider war against an unworthy adversary, therefore, as a Satanist, I am not at war.
I don't regard very highly the ignorant and certainly not enough to waste that much time on them.

#18853 - 01/05/04 09:09 PM Re: Dare To Have Fun! [Re: Magister_Harris]
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Exactly! Thank you.
Let's not forget the best about about being a Satanist: self gratification. If you're going to work for some lost cause trying to convince people you don't care for about something they don't want to hear, you may as well tote your holy bible door to door with all the other jehova witnesses.
Point being, if you're going to make yourself the martyr, then you've missed the whole point of Satanism.

#18854 - 01/06/04 06:41 PM Re: Satanists are at WAR? huh?
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I don't think that it's accurate to say that Satanists are at "war". I think there is a war however. Man vs. his own nature. Satanists embrace their natural instincts and as a result they have no time or interest in "battling" anyone when they could be enjoying their lives instead. It's the people who deny their nature who are forever at war with themselves and with each other. Besides, how would a Satanist "win" if we were "at war"? Take over the world and destroy everyone who disagrees with them? It's absurd because there will always be an opposition. There will always be that balance. I couldn't imagine a world where everyone agrees with me, that would suck! Even when Christianity is gone it will be replaced by something equally as annoying.As long as you live your life to its fullest and live by your own rules you will always be the winner.

#18855 - 01/06/04 08:46 PM Persecution complexes and the people who have them
Shiboleth Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Some people out there need to be persecuted because it validates thier self worth, so they court persecution by siding with those they see as persecuted. One just needs to look at anti-war demonstrators baiting cops so that they can get beaten like so many hippies before them. The difference is most of the hippies (back in tha day) had a legitimate beef with what was going on in thier society. These people don't but they want to get hurt, they need to get hurt. I would suggest that your "Satanist" friend is one of these people and without Satanism as his/her vent, they would just take up something else that they perceive as apropriate to that itch they need to scratch.

Edited by Shiboleth (01/06/04 08:48 PM)

#18856 - 01/08/04 05:00 AM Re: Satanists are at WAR? huh?
Foxred Offline

Loc: .
Your friend could be right and could be not too. It all depends on many personal factors. Some humans are very warlike, christians included. It doesn't mean you loose the right to be what you want to be. Nothing is compulsory.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12018 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements