Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#188780 - 09/23/06 01:24 PM Re: What about past mistakes? [Re: leonor]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Learning requires making some mistakes.

It all depends upon the degree and nature of the mistakes made.

Context is everything.

I can assure you, however, that to fail to learn from such mistakes will close the door to COS membership.

The stupid never learn.

We are elite for good reason.

When the Church was first formed in the sixties, the Doktor held the entire hippie drug culture in disdain.

We still do.

#188781 - 09/23/06 01:28 PM Churches [Re: Drimlybunk]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Going to Christian church services can be great entertainment.

Just try to remember when they pass the plate that while the money there is intended for God they really don't mean you!

#188782 - 09/23/06 01:29 PM Underground. [Re: Lillith]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

No member of the Church of Satan at any level of membership is required or expected to reveal his or her membership in public.

#188783 - 09/23/06 02:33 PM Re: not "worthy" [Re: Asmedious]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
I first read The Satanic Bible seven years ago. I spent time between then and now exploring as much as I could. Now, seven years later I have read all the other books and reread them. Then I read them again. I have fully identified myself with Satanism and mailed off my $200. Why? Because I respect the CoS and the respect they have for Satanists. Affilliation with the Church is indeed a personal choice. If you truly find yourself identified with Satanism, then why not join? Certainly it is not required and then again as has been said, "Membership has its priviledges."

I certainly am glad I sent off my apps, and I should be receiving word within the next month or so(based on the 16 week waiting period). Just because one affilliates with the Church does not mean they are required to openly identify said affilliation with the general public, active or otherwise. There is a reason the CoS does not reveal membership information. One reason I am certain is because of the personal choice each member has to openly affilliate if desired, or for that matter to keep that information private.

I am sure there are some Satanists out there who do not join and do not need to join to identify with Satanism, that is entirely their choice. I am equally sure there are plenty out there who adopt the label of Satanist and do not join for fear of being identified otherwise. Therefore, they continue to wear their "badge" and never chance being outted. Again I must say, if you identify with the CoS and can spare the $200, then surely one could benefit from joining. I certainly wish I had been able to do so prior to the High Mass, that would have been a wonderful event to attend I am sure. I am also sure there will be many more splendid events to come. This is only one example of the many benefits that can be had from joining.

I read the books. I identified with the tenets. I mailed my aps. Now I wait.

Hail Satan!

Edit: I just checked the mail and lo and behold, I received my crimson card!

Edited by xDravenx (09/23/06 02:42 PM)

#188784 - 09/23/06 03:00 PM I'm perplexed [Re: Felstorm]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

Quote:

The Church of Satan is an organisation for "non-joiners".

If you have gotten ANYTHING from The Satanic Bible or other Satanic related literature it's a token of RESPECT to affiliate with the one organisation that genuinely does have your best interests in mind. You may not have something to offer right now, but what about in the future?

To affiliate or not is an individual choice, but in my eyes, it is also an indicator for how much RESPECT they have for the Church and it's Members, active or not.

So many "people" drift in and out of the "upstairs" it's staggering. They come here, post about how much they identify with Satanism, or proclaim loudly their newfound status as a Satanist, and then never affilate on the basis that "Well, I don't have to affiliate to be a Satanist".

It's laziness and shows a lack of respect... plain and simple.

This point seems contradictory. If I read any books by Doktor Lavey, someone would have paid for it. This is, in my opinion, the price of wanting to read it. Is beneficing from it make me obligated to paid for a Cos membership? I don't think so. In the same way, I don't have to pay any author if I beneficing from his published books. The cost is the price of the book, paid most of the time directly or indirectly by the reader. The author is also well aware of this is fact when he decides to publish something.

Not being a member impeded me from accessing the downstair area, being part of the activity of the Cos, knowning about the grottos in my region, etc... If I pay for a Cos membership, it is only because I want to access one of these things. Upstair, it is a public place as anyone can access and stay, conditionnaly to following some simple rules. I don't thing that anyone can be considered unrespectful to the Church of Satan for not paying a membership while participating in a public forum, whatever long he has been upstair. In that case, your point seems some kind of lesser magic, which purpose is to make people feeling guilty and pay for a Cos membership. Whatever if he is a Satanist or not...

#188785 - 09/23/06 10:55 PM Re: I'm perplexed [Re: luciferHammer]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
I'll say it this time, many have said it before.

Joining the Church of Satan is not about getting anything.
People who are thinking of what they will gain from joining shouldn't.

#188786 - 09/24/06 07:55 AM Re: Confusing freedom with stupidity. [Re: Nemo]
IMMORTAL809 Offline

Loc: US
"To be a Satanist is to be a rational hedonist, not a mindless puppet compulsively controlled by the pleasures of the moment."

I'm quite new to this philosophy as a whole (Satanists). What I quoted from you above can be interpreted in many ways but I get the point.

I personally have a disdain for excessive use of alcohol. It's dangerous, destructive, and kills people like an unseen plague. Does that mean noone should ever consume it? Maybe not yet I know some that need to follow that thought. The same holds true for any substance that brings a pleasurable experience to the body. This can be something as simple as a massage oil, select foods, aromas, or indeed things considered as illegal drugs.

To be a "rational hedonist" is an idea that all of mankind should follow. Nothing I described above should be a compulsive way of life. I agree, those are the actions of a loser. I may or may not agree on detailed aspects of it and this may be one of the cornerstones of my learning experience.

Edited by IMMORTAL809 (09/24/06 07:56 AM)

#188787 - 09/24/06 07:57 AM Re: I'm perplexed [Re: Drimlybunk]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:

People who are thinking of what they will gain from joining shouldn't.

So why do you think Satanists DO join? For altruistic reasons?

#188788 - 09/24/06 10:47 AM Re: Brutality. [Re: Nemo]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
Quote:

Nothing is more brutal than mortalty.

Thank you for your kind words.

Your very welcome and you are right again...so true

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#188789 - 09/24/06 11:29 AM Re: Confusing freedom with stupidity. [Re: IMMORTAL809]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
It's really up to the individual what he/she wants to do,but to me personally i don't need any substance (drugs,booze,smokes) to feel more vital, richer and most of all... alive. I don't need an escape route or artificial euphoria feeling to kick the 'bad day'. Satanism to me is facing life like it is, here and now..it's about gaining succes, strenght, glory and personal freedom. I don't even see a difference in illegal drugs, soft or hard...it's the sure way of loosing your fire and giving in on weakness and addiction in the very end. The story of alot of people's life.
There's enough examples around of all us that are giving food for thought on how you DON'T wanna live your life. Drunk assholes, junkie scumbags begging for money and just a whole bunch of annoying addicted idiots in our streets.
There's plenty of other means that are a pleasure and that are good for the body, training my temple through martial arts, running and swimming are my personal drugs.There's nothing more satisfying than crossing the natural border and getting that natural high.
Reading books, checking good movies and having healthy discussions from time to time are good mental trainers. Being a Satanist AND taking illegal drugs don't go hand in hand in my opinion.
Indulgence, yes..but with a healthy state of mind. My two cents.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#188790 - 09/24/06 01:05 PM Re: What about past mistakes? [Re: Nemo]
leonor Offline

Loc: Portugal
This had to be done.
Thank you sir.

october1560
Time does not imply evolution. Very true. We are stepping back. One generates haunting monsters that generate haunting monsters on an endless spiral of misunderstanding, unsolved needs, moral amulets eradicating both the sickness and the cure.
I see a bunch of men raging at the void, haunted by their own inventions. Absurd. Totally absurd.

#188791 - 09/24/06 01:07 PM Re: I'm perplexed [Re: The_Lightning]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
To support an organization that I respect.

I do not see how the CoS could help me get anything more out of life than what I already have or have set goals to achieve. Maybe I will find differently and that is all well and good but is not the reason that I joined.

The CoS is not some kind of path to success, it is not a support group, it won't give me a good deal on a new car and it certainly does not cost $200 to mail out the membership confirmation.

By associating with the CoS I show my support monetarily and by adding to our number, which itself is quite important. I help assure, if only in a small way, that the CoS continues to function and more importantly exist as a formal opposition to all of those things which I feel are ruining people and slowing down our society.

But all that I have said here I read somewhere else. Probably on this message board and certainly in LaVey's books.

#188792 - 09/24/06 01:23 PM Re: I'm perplexed [Re: Drimlybunk]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:

By associating with the CoS I show my support monetarily and by adding to our number, which itself is quite important. I help assure, if only in a small way, that the CoS continues to function and more importantly exist as a formal opposition to all of those things which I feel are ruining people and slowing down our society.

Doesn’t this prove you DO get something out of joining? =P

I just wanted to point out that what you wrote was inaccurate, because whatever we do we inevitably do to gain something.

But overall- we agree.
Happy birthday by the way!

#188793 - 09/24/06 01:23 PM Re: Underground. [Re: Nemo]
Lillith Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I understand that the only way a member would reveal his or her membership is by personal choice. I was making the comment that maybe Asmedious has active membership confused with being an agent for the church or something. He sounds like perhaps he thinks once he joins that he will be expected to uphold the church "precepts" in the public eye or something. But then I may have gotten confused, who knows.

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

“If the devil does not exist, and man has therefore created him, he has created him in his own image and likeness” - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

“The devil himself had probably redesigned Hell in the light of information he had gained from observing airport layouts” - Anthony Price

"The only difference between saints and sinners is that every saint has a past while every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde

"Man is certainly stark mad: He cannot make a flea, yet he makes gods by the dozens." – Montaigne

#188794 - 09/24/06 01:25 PM Re: Confusing freedom with stupidity. [Re: IMMORTAL809]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"This can be something as simple as a massage oil, select foods, aromas, or indeed things considered as illegal drugs."

I highly doubt that we might find someone who's life was turned to crap becasue they used too much massage oil. You probably won't find age limits, driving/flying restrictions or "recovery" groups having to do with it either.

If you can have an alcoholic drink or two without it exposing your inner idiot then you're fine. If you drink and drink and drink because you're compelled to, that's another story. Abusing legally restricted substances is another thing as well.

Better yet, what works for you?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406349 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements