Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#264794 - 08/14/07 08:08 PM Re: Not at all. [Re: Thaumaturge]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Yes, off topic (a tad) but still I would love to visit. You are providing the caviar correct? ;\)

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#264795 - 08/14/07 08:09 PM Re: Not at all. [Re: Evil_Eve]
Thaumaturge Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
FOR YOU??!!!! Hell Yes!! At least SOMEONE will visit!! ;\)

#264796 - 08/14/07 08:09 PM Re: Not at all. [Re: Evil_Eve]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
The first rule of fight club is - you don't talk about fight club.

The second rule of fight club is - ...

Actually we're not too off topic here. The movie was really all about submission, aggression, nature, personality, individuality, herd mentality. Not too far off topic at all.

"I'm sorry... you met me at a very strange time in my life." (I love Jack's last line. It was the sort of gross understatement I am famous for.)
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#264798 - 08/14/07 08:30 PM Re: Not at all. [Re: Nemo]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I agree with this post, wholeheartedly. The reason I know what you have said is true is because I have tested it, and it works. Personality is as changeable as clothing.

Nature is not.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#264821 - 08/14/07 10:08 PM Re: Not at all. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Personality IS nature.
There was a study conducted called "The New York Longitudinal".
The study followed people over quite some time and what they found was that people's personalities (temperament) do not change much throughout the course of their lives. If someone's basic demeanor is grumpy when they are infants then they are basically grumpy their whole lives.
http://www.bookrags.com/Temperament
and here-
http://www.temperament.com/clinical.html
This does not mean, however that people cannot act deceptively.

#264864 - 08/15/07 05:23 AM Re: Not at all. [Re: DickSteele]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
 Quote:
Personality IS nature.
There was a study conducted called "The New York Longitudinal".
The study followed people over quite some time and what they found was that people's personalities (temperament) do not change much throughout the course of their lives. If someone's basic demeanor is grumpy when they are infants then they are basically grumpy their whole lives.

No. Just because that it might be generally the case (a possible contingent truth), does not mean it is a necessary truth.

And even if My personality were fixed and immutable (it's not, I can change it by NLP tweaking and the like), I would still not be My personality, in essence.

I am the Black Flame - the dark heart of My universe that is known only by its effects. That is My nature; the Schwarze Sonne.

Personality is equatable to the white parts encircling the Schwarze Sonne. They are visible; they outline, and distinguish, and draw attention to, the invisible.

You know Me by My personality, just as the viewer knows the Schwarze Sonne not by the black parts that are really invisible, but by the white parts that highlight them.

You see only My peripheral attributes. You see My personality, My body, etc. I can change My body (body modification, etc) and still be Me. I can change My personality (NLP etc), and still be Me. I can change any of those peripheral attributes and still be Me.

My nature is what I cannot change. And that is the real Me; the experiencer and controller of all the aforementioned attributes.

Attachments
schwarzesonne.jpg

Description: Die Schwarze Sonne

#264909 - 08/15/07 10:49 AM Re: Too submissive? [Re: Charlotte]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Do what works for you best, and what feels most comfortable to you. But I wouldn't recommend acting in a way that is completely incompatible with your nature; you wouldn't want to appear forced.

If you are tired of people trying to take advantage of you, the best thing to do is to remove contact with them. If that is impractical (for instance, you have to work with people of this nature), then make yourself unavailable by keeping busy or occupied.

There's nothing at all wrong with being sensitive. Just be sure to not let others exploit your sensitivity.

#264915 - 08/15/07 10:57 AM Re: Too submissive? [Re: G.F.V.]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: RobMan

There's nothing at all wrong with being sensitive. Just be sure to not let others exploit your sensitivity.

I agree.

And it's only the strong people who isn't afraid to feel, but you have to make sure that your feelings are productive, so don't be a victim, be a warrior

#264933 - 08/15/07 12:25 PM Re: Too submissive? [Re: G.F.V.]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: RobMan

If you are tired of people trying to take advantage of you, the best thing to do is to remove contact with them. If that is impractical (for instance, you have to work with people of this nature), then make yourself unavailable by keeping busy or occupied.

There are a couple of people who I have found I am wise to avoid.

At one time, I thought this was a sign of weakness; so, I would walk past them, or stay in a room with them, thinking that I was
"not letting them dictate where I was". After a small stomach problem, and a few arguments, I realized that if I saw a sick dog coming my way, wisdom would dictate that I cross the street. Other than that, when I have finished my business, I stay in my room, where I feel comfortable, and enjoy my study and writing. It works well.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#264950 - 08/15/07 02:31 PM Yes! [Re: Linguascelesta]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
What you describe is the true Ego, not just the passing fancies of the mind.

Thank you!

#265009 - 08/15/07 08:58 PM Re: Not at all. [Re: Linguascelesta]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

It would seem that if we are not our personalities then we would be a bookcase or something.
This seems to be starting to dip into the white light realm where they can explain away their failures as-"we are not our successes or failures, we are not our jobs etc...ad nauseum" why? because....we are beings of light.
I know wikipedia is generally not a good source of info but this is from the APA site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_psychology
"A third area of emphasis examines human nature and how all people are similar to one other. These three viewpoints merge together in the study of personality."
I could be wrong though-that would mean that the APA is wrong also.

#265031 - 08/15/07 10:32 PM Re: Not at all. [Re: DickSteele]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
 Quote:
I could be wrong though-that would mean that the APA is wrong also.

Very well. You are then both wrong. ;\)

Identity is not utility.

Don't blame me.

Blame reality.

#265033 - 08/15/07 10:57 PM Re: Not at all. [Re: Nemo]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
That calls to light an example of a personality chameleon, a la the master of the mask, Oscar Wilde.

His nature was that of an egomaniac, whereas his life was that of artifice and a daily endeavor to create the most outrageous personality ever to swagger the streets of London.

No lie was too great and no mask to ugly in the pursuit of fame.

If a particular trait that he adopted or a turn of phrase didn't instantly garner admiration, he tossed it aside and moved on to the next.

Here was a man that wasn't a slave to his personality, he changed that like he changed his coat, but was instead a slave to his nature. Not like he had a choice.

Anyway, I agree with you, I just thought that the ol' boy was a great example of the general train of thought in this thread. \:D
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#265063 - 08/16/07 03:34 AM Re: Too submissive? [Re: Charlotte]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
You already answered your own question.

Think about it.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#265067 - 08/16/07 04:18 AM Re: Too submissive? [Re: Virus9]
Matthew_Whitby Offline
Banned

Loc: Australia
Be yourself. Do and be what comes natural to you. You don't have to change for anyone if you don't want to.

You're an individual. Embrace it don't fight it.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12016 Members
73 Forums
43827 Topics
405219 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements