Topic Options
#189677 - 09/23/06 10:55 PM Clarification on Magus Peter H. Gilmore's "Rebels Without Cause"
TheAbysmal Offline

Loc: Washington, DC

While I found Magus Peter H. Gimore's "Rebels Without Cause" to be engaging, there was one point on which I'd like to gain further clarity:

Some newcomers to our philosophy do not grasp its axioms and tear at Satanism as if it were some kind of straightjacket. Others hope to wield it as an “anything goes” card rather than the key to accountable liberty that it is. They observe our list of “sins” and “rules” and don’t grasp that such terms are used with tongue firmly planted in cheek, while simultaneously missing the point that there is an ethical structure to our philosophy—our “third side” which is so elusive to those limited to dualist thinking.[...]

What wonder, in a world divided between Pro-lifers and -choicers, winners and losers... people who prefer real butter and people who prefer margarine. Well, I am, perhaps, guilty of this dualist thinking, as Magus Peter so succinctly puts it. I fail to see the third side of which he speaks.

I can hardly articulate my question. What does he mean?

#189678 - 09/23/06 10:58 PM Re: Clarification on Magus Peter H. Gilmore's "Rebels Without Cause" [Re: TheAbysmal]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Read the essay "The Third Side: The Uncomfortable Alternative" from Satan Speaks! by Dr. LaVey and you'll see exactly what he means.

#189679 - 09/23/06 11:29 PM Re: Clarification on Magus Peter H. Gilmore's "Rebels Without Cause" [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
TheAbysmal Offline

Loc: Washington, DC

Yep. I am definitely going to wear out my Books-a-Million card here in short order if I am to have anything beyond a Kindergarden understanding of the CoS...

Which brings me to another question: Publishing Dr. LaVey's works in whole or in large part on the CoS website would certainly serve to make them more readilly available to interested parties. Especially ones with limited resources. Has anyone entertained this idea before?

#189680 - 09/23/06 11:40 PM Re: Clarification on Magus Peter H. Gilmore's "Rebels Without Cause" [Re: TheAbysmal]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The copyrights are owned by the publishers, which means even if we wanted to give it away for free (we don't), we can't.

#189681 - 10/01/06 07:57 AM *DELETED* [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Only Members of the Priesthood and Moderators are allowed to reply to posts in this forum. All others will be deleted.

Edited by LKRice (10/01/06 09:48 AM)

Forum Stats
13325 Members
73 Forums
44550 Topics
408044 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold