Topic Options
#192033 - 10/03/06 11:45 PM Greater Magic
Ace Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Having studied the satanic bible for quite some time now, I've come to find my beliefs are in perfect congruency with the philosophy set forth by Anton LaVey.

That being said, I have some questions regarding greater magic that I haven't found the answers to. I realize that the purpose for magic is to guide and focus your mind on a desired goal, to obtain that goal quicker and more effectively; but I don't quite understand how the destruction and compassion rituals work. Are they mere ways of grieving or relieving anger? Or is there a certain magical component to their workings, as to actually destroy or help the desired person, if so, how does it work? If I am missing something, please point it out in the text or inform me where I can read more on the subject of magic. Thank you.

#192034 - 10/04/06 05:26 AM Re: Greater Magic [Re: Ace]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
The only confirmation that magic works is a track record of hits that outnumber misses.

Greater magic does not lend itself to controlled experiment or precisely reproduceable results. Skeptics may regard this as a cop-out, but it is apparant to anyone who examines the variable situations and variable reactions impelling someone to resort to greater magic in the first place. You have to sincerely hate someone to curse them, or sincerely feel lust or compassion towards someone to do an effective lust or compassion ritual. These are unique and complex situations that vary greatly from case to case.

HOW greater magic works is another thing entirely. I have never seen a satisfactory explanation of how magic works, only substitute words for a hypothetical agent of effect, such as "aether" etc.

Saying something works "by some means" or "by some agent" is not an explanation.

Magic is as yet unexplained. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is trying to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#192035 - 10/04/06 05:50 PM Re: Greater Magic [Re: Svengali]
Ace Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thank you, Magister. That clears up a lot, especially the part about genuinely hating or caring for the person the ritual is directed to in order for it to be effective.

#192036 - 10/04/06 06:50 PM Re: Greater Magic [Re: Ace]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
There are ways to "hijack" personal energy for impersonal goals, but that is better left downstairs.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements