Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#192343 - 10/05/06 10:22 PM William Blake
Broken_Scale Offline

I have read many things about Satanism, read the bible written by LaVey, and have even gone through many websites. One thing that I have not seen very many references to, if I have seen even more than one is William Blake. When I put his name into a previous post, I started to wonder if his works are treasured and read by the Satanic population.

My question is how many of you know of him, and what are your thoughts. This may seem like a stupid or pointless question (yes, there are such things) to many of you, but it is something that would greatly help me to understand Satanism and its followers even more.

[Edit] After many criticisms by the members of this forum, I have realized I have not worded my question tactfully enough. I apologize for this, but I am not going to change my words because it may be misread as a sign of weakness. [Edit]

Edited by Sheep (10/06/06 06:31 PM)

#192344 - 10/05/06 11:37 PM Re: William Blake [Re: Broken_Scale]
Malachi Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA
I find it a tad queer that knowledge of a notoriously celebrated
English artist, regardless of the tone and meat of his expressed ideas, could somehow grant one a more intimate, personable understanding of Satanism, much less an understanding of the alien few who find within its tenets home. It appears to me you're on a too-often treaded path to obtain information by which to craft a needless generalization. It matters not that I, another, or the sum of this noble forum find Blake's work to be intriguing or otherwise. We are not a swelling, amalgamated mass, and one Satanists' gold may very well to another Satanist be mere pewter. The very mention of the term "Satanic Population" in your post blatantly suggests the idea of a wholesale herd-culture, and transparently betrays your intentions regarding such a question. There is a wealth of information regarding Satanism and its practices on the internet, and can be easily obtained starting here . Any further ignorance is without excuse. Dr. Lavey's The Satanic Bible is the most complete and perfect of all starting points, and should your desire to become familiar with Satanism be an honest one, it should be purchased immediately without hesitation.

#192345 - 10/05/06 11:44 PM Excellent Reply! [Re: Malachi]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
That was so elqouent! I doubt it could have been said better!
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#192346 - 10/06/06 01:52 AM Re: William Blake [Re: Broken_Scale]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
The answers are out there if only you choose to look for them.

#192347 - 10/06/06 03:27 AM Re: William Blake [Re: Broken_Scale]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
I highly doubt that you have read The Satanic Bible or any of the information on the CoS website due to your repeated mindless questions and view that we are "followers".

Satanists are individuals in every sense of the word and more so "rational hedonists" with varying interests.

Knowing whether certain individuals find William Blakes writing stimulating has NOTHING to do with Satanism, it only shows their personal tastes in Literature.

If you have read The Satanic Bible and all the other info from the CoS website, and you still dont get it, then you never will.

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#192348 - 10/06/06 07:44 AM Terrible reply! Art has everything to do with Satanism! [Re: Malachi]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

English artist, regardless of the tone and meat of his expressed ideas, could somehow grant one a more intimate, personable understanding of Satanism

This is an evasion and a Phillistine's answer.

It is ENTIRELY appropriate for someone to ask whether Satanists have taste in art.

It is ESPECIALLY appropriate when the artist under consideration was also a poet who expressed Satanic ideas long before Anton LaVey penned the Satanic Bible.

I urge anyone who replied asking what Blake has to do with Satanism, to read "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell". (In a full color facsimile if you can find it. Dover publishes a pocket edition for under $10.)

Asking why Satanists should read Blake is like asking why they should read Nietzsche, Spinoza, Feuerbach, Foucault, Freud, Jung, Reich...; G B Shaw, H G Wells, Jack London, Shirley Jackson.... Why they should watch Blue Velvet, Blade Runner, Metropolis....

#192349 - 10/06/06 09:37 AM Re: Terrible reply! Art has everything to do with Satanism! [Re: reprobate]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Quote:

It is ENTIRELY appropriate for someone to ask whether Satanists have taste in art.

Ah, I honestly did not perceive the original posters question this way. I got caught up on the word "followers" and the inference that Blake, or what others thought of him, would somehow help this chap understand something he couldn't by reading the Satanic Bible. I see your point though. Thank you for the recommended reading.

#192350 - 10/06/06 10:27 AM Re: Terrible reply! Art has everything to do with Satanism! [Re: reprobate]
Malachi Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA

Quote:

While I do enthusiastically give validity to the above statement, the original query involved not art in such a broad, encompassing term. The original query cited a very particular artist, not art, and in its ultimate context provides a general outline of the author's agenda. I could best express my interpretation of this agenda through the following query : "What do most Satanists have for breakfast?"

Quote:

I urge anyone who replied asking what Blake has to do with Satanism, to read "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell". (In a full color facsimile if you can find it. Dover publishes a pocket edition for under $10.)

"Till a system was formed, which some took advantage of & enslav'd the vulgar by attempting to realize or abstract the mental deities from their objects: thus began Priesthood;
Choosing forms of worship from poetic tales.
And at length they pronounc'd that the Gods had order'd such things.
Thus men forgot that All deities reside in the human breast."
- William Blake, The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell

By virtue of the inclusion of the above prose, I freely admit Blake's works are certainly of an intelligent nature and could be seen as a bastion of pre-Satanic thought. However, your usage of "to do with" seems rather strong, as knowledge of Blake's work could certainly provide a realized individual with a sense of familiarity, but ultimately isn't necessarily required for a clear understanding of Satanism.

"Asking why Satanists should read Blake is like asking why they should read Nietzsche, Spinoza, Feuerbach, Foucault, Freud, Jung, Reich...; G B Shaw, H G Wells, Jack London, Shirley Jackson.... Why they should watch Blue Velvet, Blade Runner, Metropolis....

"

The original question wasn't "why", but "do". It was never suggested that they should read, but rather if they were already familiar with the work. I would never give an answer suggesting that it was improper to read and acquire knowledge, as the doing of such would constitute great ignorance of not only Satanism, but Life. I saw a question that sought to acquire a generic means of classification in the terms of herd behaviour and responded accordingly. Were the question as you perceived to be, in this case a query of the Satanic view of art and philosophy as a whole, I would have responded much differently.

#192351 - 10/06/06 12:58 PM Re: Terrible reply! Art has everything to do with Satanism! [Re: Malachi]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

I saw a question that sought to acquire a generic means of classification in the terms of herd behaviour and responded accordingly.

Asking the unknown be compared to the known is not "herd behavior", it's basic pedagogy. Get real.

What you said was:

Quote:

English artist, regardless of the tone and meat of his expressed ideas, could somehow grant one a more intimate, personable understanding of Satanism

And what I'm saying is, it isn't "queer" at all, exactly because of the "tone and meat" of his ideas. (What a mixed metaphor. Maybe it would do you some good to read a bit more poetry.)

It's the whole reason the Church of Satan has a recommended reading list -- nor is the whole range of pre-Satanic thought, or thought complementary to Satanims, covered by that list. Satanism requires study: that includes studying art and literature well beyond the scope of what Anton LaVey wrote. Blake is as good a place as any to start.

I couldn't care less whether this connection actually helps Mr. "Sheep", who's already drawn ample scrutiny upon his motives. Whatever else he may have said or asked, this at least was a legitimate question, and you do us all a disservice by answering as you did.

Edited by reprobate (10/06/06 01:35 PM)

#192352 - 10/06/06 01:47 PM Re: William Blake [Re: Broken_Scale]
Lust Offline

Yes, I enjoy many of William Blake's work. Why do you honor William Blake by giving his full name, and yet you do not show the same respect for Anton Szandor LaVey?
Are you a masochist?
Are you here only for that reason?

Edited by Tier_Instinct (10/06/06 01:54 PM)

#192353 - 10/06/06 03:19 PM Re: William Blake [Re: Broken_Scale]
WolfMoon Offline

The Marriage of Heaven and Hell is an extremely Satanic work. There is also an article about this in the last issue of the Black Flame.

#192354 - 10/06/06 04:19 PM Re: Terrible reply! Art has everything to do with Satanism! [Re: reprobate]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
Quote:

I urge anyone who replied asking what Blake has to do with Satanism, to read "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell".

To clarfiy my response to the little lost sheeps question...

A Satanists personal taste in Literature (whether it expresses Satanic Ideals or not), does not constitute nor warrant the generalisations that Mr Sheep had put forth.

Mr Lambchops question was a double edged sword by first asking:

(1)How many Satanists had heard of and/or read William Blake's work and who treasures it amongst the Satanic "population".

Upfront i also took that to imply the Satanic "community" and I would hardly make the call that all Satanists in the world post on this message board let alone that every Satanist has read William Blake in the first place to warrant the pre-supposition of "population" when asking that question in the first place.

(2) He then goes on to state that in order for HIM to understand Satanism and "it's followers" he needed an answer to that question.

Again...as i stated in my first post in response to him, had he actually read the Satanic Bible and all available info from the CoS website, he would know that we are anything but "followers".

Also, how in sweet lucifers name are you supposed to, in all seriousness grasp a more intimate understanding of the tenets of Satanism and of the globally dispersed individuals with varying interests and lives, who have aligned to Satanism by knowing who has read and holds in high regards the works of William Blake or any other author for that matter?

Personally i find that suggestion not only rather comical but ridiculous!

Also in regards to your statement about what a Satanist "should" read or watch. I am in complete disagreement.

Whilst you have provided a nice list of authors etc which would be of special "interest" and suggested reading to a Satanist.
I would be inclined to say that apart from the obvious, the only things that a Satanist "SHOULD" read or watch would be anything that would grant him/her pure personal indulgance as they so choose.

If we start writing down and arguing over what a Satanist should or should not read, watch or adhere to (again aside from the obvious), then we might as well just shoot ourselves in the foot.

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#192355 - 10/06/06 06:03 PM Re: William Blake [Re: Broken_Scale]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

I have read many things about Satanism, read the bible written by LaVey, and have even gone through many websites.

Quote:

Like I said I am not a Satanist, and I probably might not become one.

What is this guy still doing here?

HS?

#192356 - 10/06/06 06:08 PM One more... [Re: Broken_Scale]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Quote:

One thing that I have not seen very many references to, if I have seen even more than one is William Blake. When I put his name into a previous post, I started to wonder if his works are treasured and read by the Satanic population.

Ok, Spongebob Smartypants.... if you're so into Blake, have YOU seen 20/20 Blake?

#192357 - 10/06/06 09:39 PM Re: Terrible reply! Art has everything to do with Satanism! [Re: tekku]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

Also, how in sweet lucifers name are you supposed to, in all seriousness grasp a more intimate understanding of the tenets of Satanism and of the globally dispersed individuals with varying interests and lives, who have aligned to Satanism by knowing who has read and holds in high regards the works of William Blake or any other author for that matter?

Personally i find that suggestion not only rather comical but ridiculous!

Ridicule away. "Listen to the fool's reproach; it is a kingly title!" There is much more to Satanism than its tenets. There is also its spirit, and its aesthetic.

Quote:

Also in regards to your statement about what a Satanist "should" read or watch. I am in complete disagreement.

Whilst you have provided a nice list of authors etc which would be of special "interest" and suggested reading to a Satanist.
I would be inclined to say that apart from the obvious, the only things that a Satanist "SHOULD" read or watch would be anything that would grant him/her pure personal indulgance as they so choose.

Ah, the old canard of anythinggoesism.

The fact is that there are thoughts, feelings, attitudes, and values underlying Satanism, that may be better or worse realized in art and literature. Art that embodies those feelings and values, and which does so well, CAN enrich your understanding of Satanism -- IF you take the time and energy to learn from them.

If you don't want to bother, so be it. It's YOUR appreciation of Satanism (and of life) that will be impoverished as a result, not mine. But don't try to out-dogma me, thank you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406368 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements