Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#192373 - 10/07/06 04:11 PM Re: Your going to ruin it! [Re: Mr Sam]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
Quote:

I don't think the issue is whether or not art has anything to do with Satanism, I think everyone agrees it does to some extent, but to do with this quote;
Quote:

it is something that would greatly help me to understand Satanism and its followers even more.

which can be interpreted in differant ways.

exactly

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#192374 - 10/08/06 10:32 AM Re: Your going to ruin it! [Re: tekku]
Elend Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Netherlands
Reprobate - 1
tekku - 0

Thanks for the laugh!

Ps. I appreciate Mr. Blake very much as I do all people who can conjure with words.
But does it have to have Satanic qualities in order to be appreciated (more)? I don't think so.

Art is Art.
The rest is just semantics.

#192375 - 10/08/06 10:50 AM Re: Terrible reply! Art has everything to do with Satanism! [Re: reprobate]
Lillith Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
Quote:

It is ENTIRELY appropriate for someone to ask whether Satanists have taste in art.

It is ESPECIALLY appropriate when the artist under consideration was also a poet who expressed Satanic ideas long before Anton LaVey penned the Satanic Bible.

Asking why Satanists should read Blake is like asking why they should read Nietzsche, Spinoza, Feuerbach, Foucault, Freud, Jung, Reich...; G B Shaw, H G Wells, Jack London, Shirley Jackson.... Why they should watch Blue Velvet, Blade Runner, Metropolis....

I agree with you in the context that Satanism is largely based on aesthetics and art. Anton LaVey read/watched/listened to many of these authors/musicians/artists/movies while brainstorming his ideas on the philosophy of Satanism. The Church of Satan by Blanche Barton has a list at the back of movies, books and music that Anton LaVey has suggested that other Satanists might find interesting. Not because it is required reading, but because LaVey thought that other Satanists could benefit from these works as he had.

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

“If the devil does not exist, and man has therefore created him, he has created him in his own image and likeness” - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

“The devil himself had probably redesigned Hell in the light of information he had gained from observing airport layouts” - Anthony Price

"The only difference between saints and sinners is that every saint has a past while every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde

"Man is certainly stark mad: He cannot make a flea, yet he makes gods by the dozens." – Montaigne

#192376 - 10/08/06 08:57 PM Re: Your going to ruin it! [Re: Elend]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
Quote:

Thanks for the laugh!.

im glad you got as much of a laugh out if it as i did

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#192377 - 10/09/06 10:08 AM Re: Terrible reply! Art has everything to do with Satanism! [Re: Malachi]
leonor Offline

Loc: Portugal
Quote:

Quote:

It is ENTIRELY appropriate for someone to ask whether Satanists have taste in art.

The original query cited a very particular artist, not art, and in its ultimate context provides a general outline of the author's agenda. I could best express my interpretation of this agenda through the following query : "What do most Satanists have for breakfast?"

And then…the exacting quote:

Quote:

Choosing forms of worship from poetic tales.
And at length they pronounc'd that the Gods had order'd such things.

Have to say that was excellent reading between the lines.

It does make a difference why and how a question is being made on the first place. May it be presented on a silver plate.
Wearing Blake or wearing Black, who cares?

I ask myself why would anyone choose to enhance its stature sitting on top of Gulliver.

october1560
Time does not imply evolution. Very true. We are stepping back. One generates haunting monsters that generate haunting monsters on an endless spiral of misunderstanding, unsolved needs, moral amulets eradicating both the sickness and the cure.
I see a bunch of men raging at the void, haunted by their own inventions. Absurd. Totally absurd.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406342 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements