Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#192841 - 10/08/06 12:01 PM Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? [Re: Phineas]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Insanity: hanging from the rear spoiler wing of a Charger Daytona.

OH NO you did NOT go there!

I would be inclined to think that you would think it even more insane that I wore a pair of GO GO boots and stood on top of that wing as well for a photo shoot for a magazine.

PS: It's not my car. I just drove it from California to IND. So I'm not the insane one. Blame the owner.....

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#192842 - 10/08/06 02:34 PM Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? [Re: Evil_Eve]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I hear ya there. It's definitely ridiculous to turn the other cheek when you've just been unjustly violated by a scumbag.

I'm actually more annoyed at news stations and other sources who will celebrate this forgiveness, rather than at the Amish, who are just simple people who mostly keep to themselves and try to behave in a way consistent with their faith. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, Amish gotta be quiet, modest, and zipper-free, so I'm not surprised by their response.

And, I'd classify them as a tribe, rather than a cult. A genuine cult wouldn't allow people to go on Rumspringer. (Though, they do have some "cult-ish" elements, such as their fear of the outside world, their quiet rejection of those who leave the community, and their knee-jerk mistrust of us "English" folk.)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#192843 - 10/08/06 02:52 PM The Devils Playground [Re: Evil_Eve]
redheadgrl Offline

I watched a documentary on the Amish-Devils Playground. When you first hear about the fact that they allow their 16 year old kids a year to decide if they want to remain Amish or live in the outside world, you're thinking-that is pretty liberal-minded. During the year, the kids can party and have sex and their families let them.

As I watched the doc I realized a couple of important things-at 16 an Amish child has the equivalent of a 4th grade education in the United States. Makes it nearly impossible to get a job and live a productive life outside of their community. They do have lots of applied skill, but this isn't valued for the most part-outside of their community.

Also-handing a 16 year old freedom after spending the first 15 years of their life in a very controlled repressive environment is going to cause most of them to 'fall from grace' as is human nature, then run back to their support system once they hit rock bottom.
The only support system they have is their Amish family. Not surprisingly-most of them choose to remain Amish when Rumspringa rolls around.

If they choose to leave at 17, they are disowned from their family unless they choose to return.

#192844 - 10/08/06 02:56 PM Re: The Devils Playground [Re: redheadgrl]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Yup. Rumspringer is a nice thought and a good opportunity, of course, but things being what they are, of course most people will retreat back into the world they knew.

#192845 - 10/08/06 03:06 PM Re: The Devils Playground [Re: TrojZyr]
redheadgrl Offline

Without a support system they don't have much of a choice. The documentary filmed a young woman who had left the community, she was heartbroken about being disowned. She couldn't make herself live a life she knew was a lie. At the end she moved to TX after receiving a scholarship-and she finally seemed happy.

#192846 - 10/08/06 03:16 PM Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? [Re: Evil_Eve]
TheAbysmal Offline

Do you not question the sincerity their act of forgiveness? I do. Their public forgiveness of their daughters' killer may indeed be genuine, or it may be nothing more than an act. It raises many questions in my mind.

How many of those who attended the killer's funeral truly felt any shred of forgiveness in their hearts? How many of them were there for no other reason than to maintain approval of their peers and leaders, the very same ones that would excommunicate them for not appearing forgiving? And, how forgiving is excommunication, anyway?

Perhaps, they do find some warped form of closure in forgiveness or the act of its display. If they really searched their hearts, they may find they obtain their closure not from some act of forgiveness, but from seeing their daughters' murderer put six feet under the ground.

Did CNN show any footage of them smiling?

Refuse to die.

#192847 - 10/08/06 03:25 PM Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? [Re: TrojZyr]
TheAbysmal Offline

I was personally surprised to discover they pray for the death of us soldiers in combat overseas. That has a back-asswards appeal to it: Let us pray for the man who killed our daughters and give him forgiveness. Okay, now let us pray for the death of the men and women who fight for our safety and respond to attacks on our state.

It makes me wonder if they believe all the conspiracy theorists who muse about oil and other "less than noble" interests.

Refuse to die.

#192848 - 10/08/06 03:29 PM Praying for their deaths? [Re: TheAbysmal]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
When you say "pray for their death", do you mean, pray that they die, or pray for benefit of the souls of the dearly departed?

#192849 - 10/08/06 03:33 PM Re: Praying for their deaths? [Re: Linguascelesta]
TheAbysmal Offline

I meant that they pray for us to die. That is their stance on the GWOT: We should die because we are evil for killing those that seek our death or conversion to Islam.

Refuse to die.

#192850 - 10/08/06 03:46 PM Re: Praying for their deaths? [Re: TheAbysmal]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Interesting. Would you be so kind as to link to a source for this?

#192851 - 10/08/06 03:57 PM Re: Praying for their deaths? [Re: Linguascelesta]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

I'd like to see a source as well. I'd never put it past any religionist to get pissy and become hypocritical or vengeful, but I'm used to the Amish being passive and modest at all costs, so it'd be interesting if they've made an exception in this case.

#192852 - 10/08/06 03:58 PM Re: The Devils Playground [Re: redheadgrl]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

That sounds like a fascinating documentary. I'll have to check it out.

#192853 - 10/08/06 04:05 PM Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

I don't believe that they are 'against' technology. They may state this and it seems quite apparent when they are in a horse drawn buggy instead of that of Dodge sedan. However, they use many of the things we use including our electricity (they do venture away from their farms) our pay phones, yes this is okay as it's not in the home etc.

Indeed.

A few years back, Wired magazine ran an eye-opening article on the Amish, particularly on their approach to technology. It turns out that their opinions are a bit more nuanced than "Yon English talking boxes are sinful; lo, the Devil speaks through them." In particular, the article covers the Amish reactions to the spread of cell phones among their people. A recommended read.

Despite their interesting take on such matters, the Amish still qualify in my book as a standard-issue Creepy Cult. They get their free pass in the media, I suspect, for two reasons -- they don't ever try to recruit, and they make such charming arts and crafts.

-Chess

#192854 - 10/08/06 04:15 PM Re: Praying for their deaths? [Re: TrojZyr]
TheAbysmal Offline

Let me see if I can find something online.

The only source I have at the moment is the rather loud discussion about it outside my office this past Thursday afternoon. Some of our student soldiers, who were watching CNN or Fox News while on staff duty started the discussion when they saw it (on the bottom marquis, perhaps). As converstions of deer hunting and Fantasy Football, it spread through the compound like wildfire.

Refuse to die.

#192855 - 10/08/06 04:23 PM Re: Praying for their deaths? [Re: TheAbysmal]
TheAbysmal Offline

Apparently, I cannot also edit in HTML... please excuse the otherwise unnecessary extra post.

Here is one such link. In the associated blog, Brad speaks of Amish waving banners that read "Thank God for Dead Soldiers". It is not definitive, but it gives me cause to search for more.

Refuse to die.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12164 Members
73 Forums
43923 Topics
405752 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements