Topic Options
#193643 - 10/12/06 04:40 AM just curious...
KittyKat Offline

Loc: Summerville, SC
As I was reading the Satanic bible, a question came to mind. In the chapter that talks about hell, and the infernal names, I ran across the name Baal. From what I know, the god Baal was represented as a scarab,or fly. If that is the case, then wouldnt Khepri, the egyptian god of the rising sun be as well in that list? he, according to some as the scarab, Those myths describe the journey of the sun from birth to "death" and rebirth. I know that Khepri, Ra and Atum are the sun cycle according to those same myths others site Anubis and later Osiris as the "night" sun as well. I would hope for some clarification if possible, and if I'm wrong, well all of this is a learning process.

thanks!

#193644 - 10/12/06 04:46 AM Re: just curious... [Re: KittyKat]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
The Infernal Names as you see them in The Satanic Bible are the names of deities that were later demonized, or were always recognized in mythology and lore as devils and demons. Their significance to ritual is characterized by the traits listed in The Satanic Bible in accordance with each name.

If you are asking about incorporating these other names you gave (Kehpri, Ra, Atum), well I will leave that one to a member of the hierarchy. I never have tried to use another name outside of the Infernal Names, so I don't know.

#193645 - 10/12/06 04:54 AM Re: just curious... [Re: Mr_47]
KittyKat Offline

Loc: Summerville, SC
Quote:

The Infernal Names as you see them in The Satanic Bible are the names of deities that were later demonized, or were always recognized in mythology and lore as devils and demons. Their significance to ritual is characterized by the traits listed in The Satanic Bible in accordance with each name.

If you are asking about incorporating these other names you gave (Kehpri, Ra, Atum), well I will leave that one to a member of the hierarchy. I never have tried to use another name outside of the Infernal Names, so I don't know.

Oh I know. I was merely curious. My curiosity gets the better of me sometimes. Its funny though. Set, Bast, Sekhmet were the demonized forms I already knew about. I was curious since Khepri has similar (of a sort) characteristics as Baal.

I wasn't asking if could incorporate Khepri in line with the infernal names, I just had a thought that piqued my interest.

#193646 - 10/12/06 07:38 AM Re: just curious... [Re: KittyKat]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Two things to consider.

First, the animal isn't as important as the mythological role or type of the figure. Baal wasn't chosen because he's represented by an insect; he was chosen because of the sinister character the Israelites invested him with, as a rival god to their own Jehovah. He could have been represented as a fluffy bunny for all that matters.

Second, it might be in poor taste to depend too heavily on Khepri in particular. There is a pseudo-Satanic organization out there that promotes a regimented, initiatory programme of spiritual "evolution", their buzz-term for which is "Kheper". That kind of bullshit has no place in Satanism. By all means use the figures and mythotypes that are most stimulating to you; but be aware of your context. (I'll let those who have actual experience with that group call them what they deserve to be called.)

#193647 - 10/12/06 10:43 AM Re: just curious... [Re: KittyKat]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

The earliest literary representations of a 'personified evil' is found with the Zoroastrians (ancient Persia). It predates Judaism as having a clear a dichotomy between good and evil. There is also is a notion that humans will, at the end times, fight for their respective sides. The religious question is, are you a soldier for Angra Mainyu or his opponent, Ahura Mazda?

I point this out to underline that there is ALWAYS a precedent for current ideas. Present day Christian apocalyptic thinkers being a prime example of this ancient notion of a final battle; they stockpile food and weapons, they will war against demons alongside their heavenly angels. Considering this pattern, an evolution of spiritual concepts usually adapts to their environment and Baal, Khepri, Osiris and others are no exceptions. There are all part of the same melting pot.

As for the biblical Baal, he is a god of neighboring warring tribes of the Israelites. The god of one is the demon of the other, the political threat is reflected theologically.

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43977 Topics
406020 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements