Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#193691 - 10/12/06 08:22 PM Re: Dreams [Re: redheadgrl]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I have been diagnosed with sleepwalking too - they are very similar. But sleepwalking happens during slow wave sleep or deep sleep stage not REM. I have done things like turning off our alarm code to go outside of my house, written stories, painted pictures, held conversations (albeit total Lewis Carroll nonsense), and literally pulled a window completely out of its frame, not just opened it (and yup that would have been the third story window) while asleep. I've read stories about people driving and commiting violent acts while sleepwalking but I have no idea if they're valid. The only thing numerous overnight stays at sleep clinics has ruled out is seizures, thankfully. Just put me back in the cabinet, Dr. Caligari.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

I Live In A Trailer Park

#193692 - 10/12/06 08:42 PM Re: Dreams [Re: Shade]
redheadgrl Offline

Do you wake up in the middle of writing or painting a picture or do you go back to bed before waking up?

#193693 - 10/12/06 08:58 PM Re: Dreams [Re: reprobate]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Like many others here, my dreams are also very vivid and highly detailed. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately sometimes, I rarely remember my dreams. I had many nightmares when I was younger, but I hardly have any now. I've heard many people say that depending on what you eat before you go to bed, it may affect the dreams you have. This seems to be true, but is there any scientific data to support this claim?

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#193694 - 10/12/06 09:03 PM Re: Dreams [Re: Jack_Lantern]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

So who's the director?

Some nights, I think it's David Lynch.

#193695 - 10/12/06 09:29 PM Re: Dreams [Re: redheadgrl]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

Do you wake up in the middle of writing or painting a picture or do you go back to bed before waking up?

Well, I don't wake up during these episodes unless someone wakes me up. But I don't usually make it back to bed when I go meandering. I go back to "normal" sleep wherever I find myself. This can be anywhere. Sometimes, companions have lead me back to bed though. This does take a wee bit of finesse as... there is nothing wrong or dangerous with waking a sleepwalking person. But one catches the sleepwalker off guard so ... I have had unfortunate violent responses to being "startled" awake.

I've got to ask - why the interest? We seem to be straying a bit from the original topic...

#193696 - 10/12/06 09:36 PM Re: Dreams [Re: Shade]
redheadgrl Offline

It is interesing to me as I haven't known anyone with the disorder before. It would be peculiar to wake up while walking, etc.

#193697 - 10/12/06 10:09 PM Re: Dreams [Re: redheadgrl]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

It is interesing to me as I haven't known anyone with the disorder before. It would be peculiar to wake up while walking, etc.

That's understandable! And I have been woken while walking, it's disorienting and disturbing and downright weird..."Peculiar" ain't the half of it. Being told about conversations you have no memory of, picking up pictures scratched onto plates with a sewing needle, finding cryptic notes meticulously handwritten in point 2 font on the back of a bank statement, all with no memory whatsoever of doing any of it.... People sometimes think they would like it if the Twilight Zone was for real. Well you can forget that shit....

I have learned to live with the weird misfiring hitch that is my brain but it's not always the fun carnival ride I would like it to be...

Dreams are the best part. I love to dream. My director is probably more Cronenburg than Lynch but still, I love the other side of the Looking Glass. It sounds like you are the director of your dreams! That is marvelous! I don't understand what Astral projection is though. Is that lucid dreaming?

#193698 - 10/12/06 10:46 PM Re: Dreams [Re: reprobate]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Ok, I am having net problems and this is my third attempt to post this.

I tend to experience lucid dreams. I don't always have that experience, yet when I do it is more often than not. I have total control over the goings on of my dream and I can do anything I want while experiencing said dream. Sometimes they are chaotic and it becomes more difficult to acknowledge this consciousness within the dream. Other times it is like cakewalk. I sometimes attempt to translate my dreams and used to have a few books on translating dreams. I don't have those anymore however I would like to pick some up sometime. Have you ever tried to translate your dreams?

#193699 - 10/12/06 11:00 PM Re: Dreams [Re: Shade]
Asmedious Offline

Quote:

Old hag syndrome refers to sleep paralysis if I am not mistaken

I've learned about that in school a few years ago. I think that I might have actually experienced it a few weeks ago, and it's nasty as hell.

The way that I understand it, when we sleep, our bodies release a chemical that paralyzes us so that once we go into REM (Rapid Eye Movement) which is the time that we dream, we will not be able to move around, like sleep walkers do. During sleep paralysis, (Again, I could be wrong) this chemical does not leave the body fast enough, and we wake up but since the paralyzing agent is still in our body, we cannot move.

I say that I believe that it happened to me, because it felt very real. I felt as if I was wide awake for what seemed like hours (though it was more like ten minutes I think) but was totally unable to move. Couldn't call out for help either. However, in hind sight, it could have just been a bad dream. Just one of those fun things that I hope never happens again.

#193700 - 10/12/06 11:48 PM From Within. [Re: Mr_47]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Quote:

I sometimes attempt to translate my dreams and used to have a few books on translating dreams. I don't have those anymore however I would like to pick some up sometime.

I personally would advise against such, saying that they stifle creativity and one's own intuition. That is just My view though. Your mileage may vary.

#193701 - 10/13/06 12:03 AM Re: From Within. [Re: Linguascelesta]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Yeah, those sorts of books are low on my priority list. I remember reading one once and it was interesting. I'd want to look into a few before investing. I have heard that they can be limiting, it was just an idea.

Thanks for the advice, it's always appreciated.

#193702 - 10/13/06 12:11 AM Re: Dreams [Re: Asmedious]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Quote:

Old hag syndrome refers to sleep paralysis if I am not mistaken

I've learned about that in school a few years ago. I think that I might have actually experienced it a few weeks ago, and it's nasty as hell.

The way that I understand it, when we sleep, our bodies release a chemical that paralyzes us so that once we go into REM (Rapid Eye Movement) which is the time that we dream, we will not be able to move around, like sleep walkers do. During sleep paralysis, (Again, I could be wrong) this chemical does not leave the body fast enough, and we wake up but since the paralyzing agent is still in our body, we cannot move.

I say that I believe that it happened to me, because it felt very real. I felt as if I was wide awake for what seemed like hours (though it was more like ten minutes I think) but was totally unable to move. Couldn't call out for help either. However, in hind sight, it could have just been a bad dream. Just one of those fun things that I hope never happens again.

If there is one thing I despise, it is the feeling of 'feeling helpless'. This is exactly what this experience brings about. You cannot bat an eyelash, move a muscle and are at the mercy of whatever is making this take place.

At times when this happens I hear music from an unknown origin ( I believe it to me music from India)

At one time I heard a voice inside my head that was very real (mind you the TV is on in the background and I am in total awareness of my outside surroundings)

The voice said:

"I'll see you in five seconds"! A most sinister voice at that.

I have no idea what this means but the voice alone was enough to make my pinky toe start moving and then I was able to shake myself either awake or out of my paralysis.

One of my most memorable experiences with this disorder was that I KNEW it was coming on. You can actually feel a 'tingling sensation' as it comes about. (At least I can) and the first thought that popped into my head was 'they're coming again'. Who the they are is debatable, but it was a 'they'.

I would like research this at greater depth some time in the future.

I did participate in a 'study' on the Old Hag syndrome but nothing to my knowledge has come about as an end result of doing so.

Truly, for those who have experienced this (like yourself) it is frightening.

As I have stated, I do not scare easily but being totally at the will of 'whatever may cause this' and unable to scream, to run, to move is an experience I do not wish to experience again.

I do feel that this phenomenon need be studied at greater lengths.

It could all be a dream and believe you me, my hopes would be that is exactly what it is.

People tend to think you a nutter if you mention such things which is why I normally do not.

When something such as this happens you look to Science for an explanation and thus far there are only theories.

Back to the drawing board......

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#193703 - 10/13/06 12:17 AM Re: Dreams [Re: Mr_47]
redheadgrl Offline

I don't keep a dream journal or try to intrepret them. If the dream goes well then I'll go along with it but if it starts to go bad then I'll turn it around and wake up feeling good.

#193704 - 10/13/06 12:38 AM Re: Dreams [Re: Shade]
redheadgrl Offline

I wouldn't like that at all-sounds like something out of the movie "Memento" where the main character has no short term memory. The art and tiny writing you do are so meticulous, and it made perfect sense to you in your dream state!

I learned about Lucid Dreaming when I was young-I would have the same nightmare over and over again and I'd wake up remembering it and I'd be terrified. I'd go nights with little or no sleep. Then I became determined to change the outcome when I had the same nightmare the next night and it worked! And I noticed I felt stronger in my day to day life. If I don't do this and then I end up in the same pattern-with the nightmares again.

Astral Projection-do you recall feeling slightly dizzy or as if you're spinning when you're starting to drift to sleep or wake up? You're aware that you're not asleep but at the same time you're not awake either? Or have you awakened with a start-and felt disoriented?
For me, it felt like I was slightly above my body and spinning-similar to an amusement park ride....you have to practice it so that you can focus, not startle yourself, and be able to travel at your whim. If you doubt that it is a real experience then find a way to validate it.

#193705 - 10/13/06 12:58 AM Re: Dreams [Re: reprobate]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
I have vivid dreams every night. Sometimes I'm sure I'm a MothMan. Sometimes I have wild and sexy ones. When they repeat they pick-up from the last, although when things get to bad(or good) I get Hypnic Jerks. I wake as though I just had a 100Kv jolt! Dreams, one of the great unknowns. I love the Dream states I have.
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12010 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405199 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements