Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#194329 - 10/15/06 01:15 PM Re: Faults of Satan [Re: TheAbysmal]
euol Offline
Banned

Quote:

I often only see shit-disturbers for their true worth long after I am covered in their shit.

I frequently run into this problem, but this sentence still made me laugh.

Quote:

Was I born with a predisposition toward arguing with idiots?

It feels like that sometimes, doesn't it? It took me many, many years to stumble across the idea that I can't change people with intelligent argument and it was noodley to try.

Quote:

I would go so far to say Noel's essay should be stickied in the Introcutions forum, with a call to action of using it. If it is an untrue label for the lady or gentleman in question, he or she can always deny it or change course.

The sad part is, the true shit-disturbers will deny it and continue, or ignore it and continue. It's them, and they cannot be stopped, only ignored. This is still a good idea for those who may not realize they are acting in a shit-disturbing fashion, and they may open their eyes and actively change for the better. Or, better yet, perhaps they will read the essay and decide to actively try NOT to seem anything like a shit-disturber, so as to not give anyone a reason to call them one.

#194330 - 10/15/06 01:49 PM Re: Faults of Satan [Re: TheAbysmal]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
often only see shit-disturbers for their true worth long after I am covered in their shit. It is almost as if they lull me into their provocative trap. Was I born with a predisposition toward arguing with idiots?

I've gotten much better at noting when a conversation is about to nosedive into shit, but yes, I do notice that when I am asked a question or offered a verbal challenge, I usually give a genuine response. Part of it is that I usually see myself as offering my answer to a larger audience, rather than to just the one individual, so even if the individual is a shit-disturber, the other people watching the fight or conversation can learn something. The other part is, I may hope that I am witnessing profound, but curable, ignorance, rather than abject stupidity or maliciousness rebellion, so I test the water before tossing it out. Though, I am often too optimistic for my own good in that regard .

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#194331 - 10/15/06 08:02 PM Well? [Re: WURM]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...

#194332 - 11/08/06 10:14 PM Re: Faults of Satan [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Brawler Offline

Quote:

The funny thing is that you hold the keys right in your hand yet don't even realize it.

You see the obvious need for an ethical code of honor, and the need for logic, carnality, and human decency to find their common ground.

Satanism provides a ready work table, and says, "You see what must be done to make such a code for yourself, so make it!"

This is hardly a flaw, this is perfection itself. It is fully expected that your personal ethics and code will take the need for reason and justice into account. Satanism is the foundation on which you build a house. You can build a house many ways, but you do so with brick, mortar, and lumber all the same.

Well said, Leviathan. If there are any flaws that are associated with Satanism, they are the flaws of the individual Satanist. And these mistakes are swiftly either eliminated or turned towards the Satanist's benefit if said Satanist is indeed that! It is for this reason that Satanists are so diverse, and why the biggest threat to a Satanist is another Satanist. The Christian is brainwashed, self righteous and mentally inferior. If a Satanist were to enslave the earth's population, only a stronger Satanist will change that. Therein lies the beauty of Satanism.

#194333 - 11/09/06 07:03 PM Re: Faults of Satan [Re: WURM]
ModernTantalus Offline

A friend of mine asked a similar question. He asked, "Don't you think people would join your religion so that they could have sex and perform other acts without feeling guilty?" It's similar along the lines of asking about morality in Satanism. My first response is that I didn't join Satanism so I didn't have to feel guilty about sex. The fact that I never felt the need to feel guilty about sex in the first place is one of the things that drew me to Satanism. I also explained that it's not a philosophy of do whatever you want. Harming children and animals is expressly forbidden and all satanists are encouraged to obey all local laws. I'm not sure how selfishness is anti-elitist. That whole concept eluded me. The best I can say about selfishness is that it's the natural state of man. Nobody ever commits a truely altruistic act. Anyone who believes that they have committed a truely altruistic act is deluding themselves. Even when a kind act is performed for another we usually have the expectation that the person will perform a kind act for us when we are in need. Satanism asserts that humans are animals just like any other and all animals live for obtaining resources and passing on genes. Basic darwinism there. Let's take one moment to compare the morality of Satanism vs. Christianity (the same applies to many other religions.) Satanism never killed thousands of people for not believeing in our philosophy. We've never tried to force people to conform to our wishes and adopt our sense of ethics. Satanists don't have a savior who will forgive all our sins when we screw up. Because of that, I would argue that a Satanist is more inclined to be ethical. When we screw up there isn't any mystical savior to forgive us. We have to live with our actions and take responsibility for what we're done rather than passing the buck to a man in the sky.

#194334 - 11/10/06 02:05 PM Re: Faults of Satan [Re: ModernTantalus]
Traveller Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
ModernTanatalus:
The ethical aspects of Satanism is what resonated so much with me and they are the reason I'm here. I lived for a while in Houston, many years ago, and had a very christian girlfriend. Being around her I could never accept the idea of being 'saved', what? all the errors you've made suddenly erase themselves because of a new found faith or belief? (besides who can tell if you are being sincere or if it is just BS?) christianity as moral instrument got derailed when 'faith' over took 'actions' in importance. What really gets me is those that are 'saved' (ok, assume your past sins are forgiven) but they delude themselves that they continue to be saved from then on regardless of what they do after that.

The other side of the coin is inaction. If you have a belief that things will come out right if you have faith, then you dont do anything to improve your current sorry situation and will not plan ahead. After a few times helping with her rent, helping her when her car died I really got fed up and asked her to take more responsibility. Why she would say, I know if I pray god will help me in the form of an angel, you see, You ended up helping me! That really infuriated me!

And finally is the implied obligations that people with faith try to impose on you, like for example when my mom was sick she told me she prayed for my mom, later she would want something implying I owed her something or I had incurred an obligation to her by her praying. I tried to tell her that prying was a personal thing and that she did it to feel better herself and no obligation by me was incurred, but she did not get it.

I am sad to say that in the Chirstian circles in Houston I met some of the most selfish, insincere, uncaring, (Oh, I can not help you but I'll pry for you) and prejudiced people that were always putting up a front and could not be trusted. I ran out ouf Houston as soon as I had the chance.

So I completely agree with you, Satanism is by far a more ethical system where you are responsible for the actions you take, and the actions you take are with your eyes open.

Traveller

#194335 - 11/10/06 05:35 PM Re: Praying IS Prying [Re: Traveller]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
Quote:

I tried to tell her that prying was a personal thing and that she did it to feel better herself and no obligation by me was incurred, but she did not get it.

Quote:

(Oh, I can not help you but I'll pry for you)

What appropriate typos. Praying is a way to involve yourself in a situation where you are truly powerless and you DONT belong.

When people say they will pray for me, I ask them not to.

#194336 - 11/12/06 03:05 AM Re: Praying IS Prying [Re: fatebender]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Quote:

I tried to tell her that prying was a personal thing and that she did it to feel better herself and no obligation by me was incurred, but she did not get it.

Quote:

(Oh, I can not help you but I'll pry for you)

What appropriate typos. Praying is a way to involve yourself in a situation where you are truly powerless and you DONT belong.

When people say they will pray for me, I ask them not to.

I think LaVey summed it up quite nicely as far as 'praying' is concerned:

In so many words he said that praying is quite useless because if you spent more time getting up off your ass, and DOING something about the situation it would GET DONE instead of that of 'waiting' on someone else to solve the problem at hand.

So much time wasted on praying to an entity that does not exist when YOU/WE have the power to solve problems productivly if we would only take the time to do so.

When I was young I was spoon fed religion/prayer. I was TOLD and actually believed at the tender age of ten years that if I PRAYED HARD ENOUGH my grandmothers cancer would be CURED. She would not die.

Guess what?

She died. I was devistated. I had this magnent (that you would put on a fridge etc.) that said:

Pray. God will answer. I held it in my hands many nights while I
'prayed' to a god that didn't exist to cure my beloved grandma's cancer.

When she died, I clutched that magnent in my hands with the grip that would make a tiny hand bleed. I threw it across the room as hard as I could. Tears in my eyes. I knew then that god was a sham.

I knew that he did not exist. The god of assholes. The god of common people and prayer? Prayer is for weak minded individuals who cannot solve their own problems but wait on the Easter Bunny to lay eggs.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#194337 - 11/12/06 06:25 AM Re: Praying IS Prying [Re: Evil_Eve]
CountAmur Offline

Loc: Chicago
I like your signature.

This is my favorite,
“The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.”
Harlan Ellison
Kata Dan-te: Dancing to the dance of death for over 40 years. What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power in man, the will to power, power itself. - Friedrich Nietzsche I am my own personal Jesus - Count Amur

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12196 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406002 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements