Topic Options
#195836 - 10/19/06 12:41 AM Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins
TheAbysmal Offline

I understand the notion that one should not offer his or her opinion unless first asked for it. I often wish more people adopted this notion. I also understand that by virtue of some circumstances, people implicitly invite other's opinions. For example, when people listen to talk radio, watch Oprah, or come to an online forum; they subject themselves to the radio host's, Oprah's, and forum user's opinions.

Am I correct in this understanding, or am I reading into it?

Magister Ventrue has appointed board members to administer and moderate it, and he has explicitly stated that he will not have civilian policing on his forums, particularly the Introductions forum. This rule is too easy. I get that rule, but what does administering and moderating entail that is not so obvious? For someone who comes to LttD and provides a flimsy introduction, as an example, where is the fine line between saying, "Where's your introduction? You're supposed to have one." and, "I would like to know more about you. Why haven't you yet told me more?"? Aside from the obvious difference of courtesy, it is difficult for me to say surely that the latter response is much less policing than the first. I am almost apt to say that I should just ignore people's introductions where they introduce themselves poorly--sticking with the example--than to risk crossing that fine line.

Even though we are on a forum here, how much opinion is too much?

Refuse to die.

#195837 - 10/19/06 12:44 AM Re: Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins [Re: TheAbysmal]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

This post ought to be stickied, and I may do so myself:

http://www.satannet.com/lttd/showthreade...e=11#Post345016

Outlines the consensus of moderators on what we wish to see and not see in the Introductions Forum, something of an appendix to Magister Ventrue's civilian policing bulletin.

#195838 - 10/19/06 12:46 AM Re: Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
TheAbysmal Offline

Thank you.

Refuse to die.

#195839 - 10/19/06 12:55 AM Re: Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins [Re: TheAbysmal]
Lazarus Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
I am the same way. Most of the time I will just ignore rather than being offensive. And instead of being offended I will just ignore.

Sometimes it seems that some Satanists have Darkness confused with hatefulness or evil. We are all here to learn, and for every person that seems sarcastic there are 10 here that are willing to help one learn. Even if only by "firmly" directing them to the proper book or protocol. This is not hateful.

So for the few who wallow in their own misery so much that they must ridicule every little misdirection by the newcomer, I suggest just to ignore them instead of stooping to their level with a crude reply.

Our answers lie in persistence, study, and inquisitiveness satisfied by those who remember what it was like when they were first introduced to Satanism, and found that there were other people in the world just like them.

#195840 - 10/19/06 02:28 AM Re: Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins [Re: Lazarus]
TheAbysmal Offline

You said:

So for the few who wallow in their own misery so much that they must ridicule every little misdirection by the newcomer, I suggest just to ignore them instead of stooping to their level with a crude reply.

Your statement is in what I am I especially interested: That fine line. If you will, consider another example, one that may better illustrate My question.

A registrant posts an introduction. It exhibits great content, and the registrant's statements well describe him or her. Much as the registrant's statements show his or her class, or whatever other traits LttD users might find favorable, it is riddled with obvious flaws. The registrant has exluded most punctuation, and in fact much of his or her introduction is one long run-on sentence. The registrant has not even bothered to separate the introduction into paragraphs.

Am I policing if I say that the registrant should clean that up because few will make sense of it, even I, polite though I may be?

Refuse to die.

#195841 - 10/19/06 02:36 AM Re: Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins [Re: TheAbysmal]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

If the post is so badly written that the mental capacity of the poster is seriously in question, notify a moderator. If it's just badly written, I'm not going to get worked up if you suggest politely that on LttD we prefer to use general English writing conventions, unless you do so rudely and make a habit out of doing so.

#195842 - 10/19/06 04:07 AM Re: Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins [Re: TheAbysmal]
Lazarus Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
Personally I would not consider this to be policing if it is done politely. What good is an illedgible post? I do not feel that the moderators need be troubled with every little jot and tittle that we could civally resolve amoungst ourselves. I believe the fine line you refer to could easily defined in the recognition between working out our differences between ourselves and "tattling".

However, this is not what I was referring to by that statement. There have been a very few instances, and none to me personally, where it seemed that a newcomer would come seeking an answer and was met with sarcasm and disdain. Not everybody knows everything about Satanism. Some only know what few priniples they have had access to at that point, and they recognize that those principles have always been the code they've lived their lives by. Not everyone out there can afford all the literature. The only thing they have to go by is what is provided them for free on the CoS website, and here on LttD. Does this mean that they should be denied Truth? And especially when they come earnestly?

I, for one, have been guilty of telling people that their answers lie in The CoS Literature. Perhaps I should not have done that. It is one thing to read something and not have the mental capacity to understand it. It is another thing to realize that sometimes, when people first find out about the Truths of Satanism they are still living paycheck to paycheck and cannot afford even the least expensive media. Yet still, there is enough information on the Website and Here to know whether Satanism is for one or not. Perhaps in the future, a little more information from me or anyone else might to help clear their head and set them in the proper direction.

But then again, this is just my opinion.

#195843 - 10/24/06 07:21 AM Re: Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins [Re: Lazarus]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

I am almost apt to say that I should just ignore people's introductions where they introduce themselves poorly--sticking with the example--than to risk crossing that fine line.

Sound and solem advice (which was pointed out to me by a member of this board that I take great stock in).

It's easier and less draining to hit the notify button than to argue with that of fools.

I turned down being a police officer for my City and have no intentions of being one on this board.

Have I been guilty of such things in the past? My answer would be a definite YES and in the end after being made aware of such, made me feel just as foolish as the original thread poster.

Excellent post and point well taken.

This would make an excellent sticky.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#195844 - 10/26/06 02:33 AM Re: Where the Line of Opining Ends and Policing Begins [Re: Lazarus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You hit the nail on the head.

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements