Topic Options
#198801 - 10/29/06 08:42 PM Church of Satan vs. Temple of Set
Hauss Offline

Loc: San Bernardino, CA
I'm new to the Left Hand Path. I know this may be an old question by now, but I would like to know what differences there are between the Church of Satan and the Temple of Set. I have been reading the "FAQs" section of the web sites for both groups, but I haven't found anything informative about the differences. Most of what I read was one group just putting down the other but the criticisms were completely unenlightening. I know that the Temple of Set was started by former CoS Members and so obviously there should be lots of similarities, but what are the differences?

For those of you who aren't bored stupid by this question by now, please post and let me know. Like I said, I'm new and I'm still learning, so please be patient if I ask something that is obvious to someone who's been on the Left Hand Path scene for a while.

#198802 - 10/29/06 08:46 PM Re: Church of Satan vs. Temple of Set [Re: Hauss]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Do they even still exist?

They believe in an external entity, we don't.

They dress it up with a load of occultnick claptrap, we don't.

Aquino claims spirits talk to him, we don't.

What else would you like to know?
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#198803 - 10/31/06 01:20 PM Re: Church of Satan vs. Temple of Set [Re: Svengali]
Hauss Offline

Loc: San Bernardino, CA
Yes, they still exist. I read Don Webb's book called Uncle Setnakt's Guide to the Left Hand Path which gave a ritual called "the Grand Initiation." It claimed to be a black magick equivalent of the Abramelin ritual. I was interested but there were some information that was not clear about the performance of the ritual so I went online to find the Temple of Set and ask them. Of course, this deals with the theme of magick and it caused me to wonder what the differences were between what the Temple of Set teaches on this subject and what the Church of Satan teaches.

However, you did clear up some points regarding the philosphical differences between the two groups. Thank you for that. But I would still like to know what the differences in the practice of magick and magickal training is between the two groups. As for belief in an external entity and talking to spirits, that's still something I would have to see for myself before I buy it. Like all true members of the Left Hand Path, I am my own God first, second, third, etc.

But again, thanks for an answer that actually gives information instead of resorting to the usual name calling and whining that I've seen of others who were critical of each other's group. Intelligent answers are always better than the alternative.

#198804 - 10/31/06 01:46 PM Re: Church of Satan vs. Temple of Set [Re: Hauss]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
In terms of practical magic, greater and lesser, they are essentially repackaging what is available in THE SATANIC BIBLE, only they attach it to their own brand of "initiation" which is the same spiritual clap-trap we are against, in a new and dumber package. Basically they want to become one with "Set" which they simultaneously equivocate as individual consciousness and an external entity.

They are philosophically flawed on more levels than is worth outlining, whatever they have of value is a watered down version of Satanism blended with garden variety occultnick nonsense. It is for people who are impressed with loads of verbiage and bullshit as opposed to something simple, direct and realistic.

They also have an absurd number of degrees and orders for sale. It is hilarious that they will gripe about the ONE TIME LIFETIME membership fee of the Church of Satan, yet they are basically a paper mill cranking out certificates for their silly bullshit.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#198805 - 10/31/06 06:23 PM Quick summary. [Re: Hauss]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I just wanted to add to Magister Svengali's clear and to-the-point answer with my own quick summation:

If you want to try to "become" a God ("Xepher") then go join the Temple of Set ... and keep on trying.

If you want to BE a God (Indulence) then join the Church of Satan.

Oops. I am wrong.

Actually you only need to read and understand The Satanic Bible to BE a God ... if you find that you resonate with what is written there.

And not just some of it.

All of it.

Joining the Church of Satan requires that you are already a God.

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406056 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements