Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199731 - 11/03/06 01:36 AM Wired Magazine/The New Atheism
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I was reading the newest issue of 'Wired' where the front cover graced the words:

The New Atheism (in bold black letters) This of course, caught my immediate attention.

No Heaven. No Hell. Just SCIENCE.

Beautiful!

Let us visit inside the crusade against religion.

I highly suggest the reading of this article. I found it ammusing, informative, and highly intellectual.

Our players:

Richard Dawkins who is an Evolutionary biologist from the Univeristy of Oxford (where a memorial to Percy Byssche Shelley resides who infact, was expelled almost 200 years ago from that very college for atheism). One of my favorite poets as well, (next to Byron).

Richard Dawkins wrote 'The God Delusion'.

Our other player:

Sam Harris. Neuroscientist, his latest provocation? Letter to a Christion Nation.

A sample from the article:

Three years ago, Dawkins adopted a new word to demacrate the types of things he couldn't belive in. The word is bright, a noun. Coined by Sacramento, California, eduacators Paul Geisert and Mynga Futrell to designate a person with a natuarlistc worldview, bright was designed to be broader than the atheist movement; it is merely God that is untenable, but superstition, credulity, and magical thinking in general.

The New Atheist insight is that one might start anywhere-with an intellectual argument, with a vissceral rejection of Islamic or Christian fundameantalism, with political disgust and then, by relentless and logical steps, renounce every supernatural crutch.

Another key player in the 'Church of the non believers':

Daniel Dennett. Philosopher, Turfts University.

His latest provocation: Breaking the spell.

The Illusionist:

Penn & Teller:

They want to make religion disappear. Never shy about their atheism (Penn's got tht Nevada license plates 'atheist' and 'Godless'. The two have been raising their voices.

Even the oft-silent Teller to decry to muddying line between chruch and state. (From Wired magazine).

Again, I quite enjoyed this article and think that others of like mind may as well.

Something key was mentioned in the article about politics and that key being this:

No Atheist has nor ever WILL be elected for office.

Sad but in our present/current time? True.

You must believe in something (not nothing) to be elected.

I suppose I would just 'lie' about my religious stance or lack thereof if it came down to that.

I imagine that there are many in office that don't believe in the tooth fairy or the Easter Bunny but who will proclaim that there is a God just to get elected.

Well, if the mere name of 'God' can get them elected or bring them profit, I suppose there are worse/harder way's to make a dime...

Money, however, has never meant that much to me. Would I like to have it? I suppose I would but it's not of 'high' importance to me'.

I digress, once again, I go off on a tangent.

Read the article if you so desire. I found it quite wonderful.

I would be interested in hearing others thoughts after they have read the article for themselves.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#199732 - 11/03/06 03:13 AM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Evil_Eve]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
I read this article awhile back, I was going to wait until the online version was available to post a link, as it is a long article.

Which, by the way is now available here.

#199733 - 11/03/06 07:07 AM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Mr_47]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Thank you!

Splendid.

I thought it quite interesting that this article was published in 'Wired' magazine of all things.

I was discussing it with a friend on the telephone yesterday and he said "This article is in Wired"?

Why yes!

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#199734 - 11/03/06 11:13 AM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Mr_47]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Thanks for posting the link. For the most part, I think the article was very good; I just wish they wouldn't have included Sam Harris.

I'd probably find more to agree with Mr. Harris on if it weren't for his utter dismisal of pragmatism and propagation of a "new-agey" mindset.

Steven Pinker would have been a much better choice.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#199735 - 11/03/06 12:16 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Virus9]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Oh, good. Someone else who dislikes Sam Harris besides me!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#199736 - 11/03/06 12:20 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Evil_Eve]
Isabel23 Offline
CoS Magistra

I am in sympathy with much of what was in the essay.

My thoughts on the essay and upon your comments:

In terms of human behavior, the conundrum presented to the protagonist in the movie Contact was an excellent example of how those in power use religiosity.

Jodie Foster's character was rejected for traversing the unknown because she was an atheist. Later, after having experiences that shook her certainty about the way the universe works, her character's testimony was rejected because she confessed to no longer being an atheist.

It all had to do with what suited those in power.

Atheism can become just as much a religion as other fixations. Atheism as defined by Dennett, Dawkins, et al is fixated on materialism and scientific reductionism. Matter is primary and in principle every bit can be tracked and the entire future of the universe can be predicted. Consciousness and all other slippery events are nothing but side effects of matter interacting with matter. Free will is an illusion due to our inability to in fact calculate all the information available.

The fixation on Christianity as a mortal danger to humanity is also itself dangerously oblivious of context. They are fighting the last war, not paying attention to the new dangers on their doorsteps.

I found Rupert Sheldrake's review of Dennett's book Breaking the Spell to be amusing and thoughtful. The unbearable brightness of being right

I also find Skeptical Investigations to be almost as useful as Snopes.

This is an excellent topic, Eve!

#199738 - 11/03/06 12:39 PM Just ask yourself this. [Re: Quaark]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Would there have been any hassle at all for the good general if he had chosen to do this fifty years ago?

Nope.

"The times they are a-changin'."

#199739 - 11/03/06 12:39 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: TrojZyr]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

To be fair, he does have some compelling arguments for his opinions. The part that gives me trouble is that he presents his opinions as absolutes.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#199740 - 11/03/06 12:42 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Virus9]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Precisely.

He's an atheist fundie. The "brights" seem to be just as clueless about how to appeal to people as the Christians are.

#199742 - 11/03/06 01:29 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Isabel23]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Matter is primary and in principle every bit can be tracked and the entire future of the universe can be predicted. Consciousness and all other slippery events are nothing but side effects of matter interacting with matter. Free will is an illusion due to our inability to in fact calculate all the information available.

I've seen this argument applied many times, and I can't help but wonder where people get it from. I'm not so familiar with Dennet's work, but to apply your statement to Dawkins or Pinker ammounts to a misrepresentation of what they've written.

-Lewis Lapham

-Winston Churchill

#199743 - 11/03/06 01:30 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Quaark]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Even their approach to the subject of religion can be rather caustic at times.

-Lewis Lapham

-Winston Churchill

#199745 - 11/03/06 01:45 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Quaark]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Caustic?

Perhaps, but it sure isn't stuffy and humorless.

True, but you can still only call someone an idiot so many times before they stop listening.

"You say "caustic" like it's a bad thing."

Moi? Not at all. Making people think you're an asshole is a perfectly legitimate technique for getting them to go away.

Admittedly, a lot of people dig caustic, so long as it's obviously schtick. That and obvious talent have driven Penn & Teller to success. When it's so obviously a put on, the only people left paying attention are those who are already in agreement.

Simply put, they're not going after converts.

Edited by Virus9 (11/03/06 01:59 PM)

#199746 - 11/03/06 02:02 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Quaark]
Isabel23 Offline
CoS Magistra

Dr Strangelove can rear his ugly head anywhere, anytime.

Thanks for the link, Daark!

#199748 - 11/03/06 02:18 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Quaark]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Who cares if I have a fenderbender under those circumstances?

Under those circumstances, who cares if you have a driver's license?

-Lewis Lapham

-Winston Churchill

#199750 - 11/03/06 02:31 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Virus9]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
You're welcome. I always find it important to post a link to your sources. I agree it is a good article as well. I have a Wired subscription and I read this article a few weeks ago. I was going to share it then, but the online version wasn't available.

I agree also that Mr. Harris wasn't exactly a great choice to include in all of this, but hey when looking for a "New Age Atheism," I suppose they wouldn't mind having propogation of the "new agey" mindset as you put it.

I primarily enjoyed the article for Richard Dawkins' participation.

#199751 - 11/03/06 06:53 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Quaark]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

I love Penn and Teller.

But, as funny and entertaining as they are, they still don't fully 'get' their religious opponents either. They seem to do better than Harris, at least, where marketing their ideas is concerned.

#199752 - 11/03/06 08:21 PM Dawkins the politician. [Re: Virus9]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Dawkins has rejected Darwinian macroevolution? He no longer holds that matter is primary? He has embraced free will as real? When did all that happen?

What I have found is that he says one thing but when you analyze what he says then it really means something quite different.

For example for free will to exist it needs to not be an illusion, "statistical" or otherwise.

I see a lot of "sleight of mouth" from this fellow.

#199753 - 11/03/06 09:10 PM Re: Dawkins the politician. [Re: Nemo]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Yes, Dawkins actually rejected the pure Darwinian idea of evolution a long time ago, along with most evolutionists. "Darwinism" now is a misnomer applied to the theory of natural selection itself; natural selection, as opposed to Darwin's antiquated theory of it, is a mathematical certainty in any group that is capable of experiencing both change and duplication.

Dawkin's idea is far, far more sophisticated than most, and certainly wins me over as far as evolutionary theories go. It won't surprise me if one or two details are now considered "dated" since his primary work was done nearly 30 years ago, but his essential idea of evolution being focused solely on the gene, not the individual or the group, is nearly bulletproof.

Evolutionary science is a field sadly muddied by the most vocal proponents, for and against it. I tend to like Dawkins, if for no other reason than because he sees the folly of trying to integrate science with religion.

#199754 - 11/03/06 09:14 PM Re: Dawkins the politician. [Re: Nemo]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

For example for free will to exist it needs to not be an illusion, "statistical" or otherwise.

It is not necessary for will to be metaphysically free for it to be free in the practical or ethical sense, which I take it is what really matters.

#199755 - 11/03/06 09:21 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Quaark]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Caustic?

Perhaps, but it sure isn't stuffy and humorless.

Not stuffy, but still alienating for Joe Bluecollar who might not be a devout fundy, feels he has a prima facie duty to support religion because it's the right thing to do, but who might be capable of responding to something from the atheists if it were a bit more congenial. Those are the ones who need to be won, and an aggressive, mostly urban intelligensia isn't exactly a good outreach party.

#199756 - 11/04/06 02:00 AM Re: Dawkins the politician. [Re: Nemo]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Dawkins has rejected Darwinian macroevolution?

Did he ever support it?

He no longer holds that matter is primary?

Does a wholly predictiable universe logically follow the primacy of matter? Heisenberg might have something to say about that.

He has embraced free will as real?

Real enough to be of consequence. If he hadn't, why would he be trying so hard to gain converts?

When did all that happen?

1976. It was probably earlier, but that's when his first book was published.

What I have found is that he says one thing but when you analyze what he says then it really means something quite different.

The only time I can see someone coming to that conclusion is when he discusses free will. My own analysis of his statements in that regard would be that he has a very roundabout way of saying, "I'd like to think we have free will, but I really don't know."

-Lewis Lapham

-Winston Churchill

#199757 - 11/04/06 04:15 AM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Evil_Eve]
TheAbysmal Offline

From what I gathered of the article, these "New Atheists" are trying to prevent a raging forest fire by burning down all the trees. In my opinion, waging war against religion as depicted in the article would be as stupid as waging war against all the people of Islamic faith of the world in an effort to deter terrorism. The religion is not nearly as important as the people who practice it, and what their practice of it entails.

If people are falling prostrate toward Mecca thrice a day, why should I care whether it brings them and their own success in life, or prohibits their growth? I care about the beleiver who would strap a bomb to him- or herself in an effort to bring about much of the same results these New Atheists seek: their own ideology for the whole world, bar anything else.

Why not ban the production of any food that contains cholesterol because eating it is unhealthy, and your body produces it naturally anyway? I intend this question to be analogous. I speculate that such a ban would not bring about any positive change, and could perhaps be more damaging to the cause of promoting better health. The same goes for religion.

I think a better way of influencing people to adopt or identify with good practices over flawed doctrine is to simply make them known, and let the process of natural selection run its course. Is that not what Dr. Anton LaVey did?

Hail Satan!

Refuse to die.

#199758 - 11/04/06 05:34 PM The gaps [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

If you sometime wish to see references for the gaps in the various macroevolution theories I'll be happy to do so downstairs.

For the benefit of those reading this up here I will simply mention that two origin issues are far from resolved in any acceptable manner and these are the origin of the universe (if there is one) and the origins of the species.

The fundamentalist Christians have nothing to offer but, unfortunately, the holes in the various versions of evolution (macro not micro) are still large enough for truckloads of missing links to drive through any weekday.

There are still great mysteries regarding these issues with far too much extrapolation based on faith (with the creationists) and wishful thinking (with the evolutionists).

The Third Side of these two issues remains still outside the mainstream ... as usual.

#199759 - 11/04/06 07:44 PM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Evil_Eve]
Unknown Offline

Loc: 611 Calif. St.
I found this article to be very interesting.

It sounds like it is promoting pure utopian nonsense. A world guided by reason and logic? Impossible as ignorance is needed for mankinds survival.

It has been demonstrated by the analysis of 42 research studies that religion does infact prevent medical health problems such as cancer, mental illness, as well as heart diseases. So inspite of how stupid the belief in their God may be, mankind has become fully dependent upon this concept.

For me, Satanism is as Boyd Rice once said, the pathway to God.

Edited by Unknown (11/05/06 09:52 AM)

Satanism Demands study and not worship!
http://compleatwitch.blogspot.com/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-classical/

Avatar used with special permission from Reverend CoffinRust. www.coffinrust.com

#199760 - 11/04/06 07:58 PM Re: The gaps *DELETED* [Re: Nemo]
Unknown Offline

Post deleted by Unknown

Edited by Unknown (11/04/06 08:08 PM)

Avatar used with special permission from Reverend CoffinRust. www.coffinrust.com

#199761 - 11/04/06 11:27 PM Re: The gaps [Re: Unknown]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

I find it amazing how swiftly man has evolved, especially for the past 50,000 years or so.

And exactly how much have humans evolved in the last 50,000 years?

-Lewis Lapham

-Winston Churchill

#199762 - 11/04/06 11:44 PM Re: The gaps [Re: Nemo]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

If you sometime wish to see references for the gaps in the various macroevolution theories I'll be happy to do so downstairs.

By all means, sir, do tell.

-Lewis Lapham

-Winston Churchill

#199763 - 11/05/06 09:34 AM Re: The gaps [Re: Virus9]
Unknown Offline

A very good question.

These are just some notes I am going to be giving you so bare with me please.

The human brain size 200,000 years ago was identical to ours. Humans remained at this standard state using the same tools for the same purposes. It wasn't until 44,000 years ago that suddenly there seemed to be a collective change in the state of behaviour in the human race. There was what appears to be a significant change in its activities.

We begin to see cave art to appear 35,000 years ago, rock art appears world wide. Hunting strategies that have never been recorded were starting to appear in caves. There were no physical altercations of of the brain 160,000-200,000 years ago just a shift in consciousness. What caused this shift is unknown. Darwinian evolution has no answer for this.

Sir Julian Huxley has made the suggestion that man has the ability under the proper circumstances to become the director of evolution, the power of engineering.

Also, have you read Supernatural by Graham Hancock? He explores this question in depth.

#199764 - 11/05/06 05:59 PM Re: The gaps [Re: Unknown]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Darwinian evolution has no answer for this.

Evolutionary theory attemts to explain physical changes over the course of many generations. While some physical changes may lead to psychological changes, admitting that the human brain is virtually unchanged over the past 200,000 years shows that changes which occured roughly 50,000 years ago are outside the scope of evolution. Evolution obviously doesn't explain everything, and no serious proponent of evolution tries to claim that it does.

I haven't read Mr. Hancock's book, but I did a search for it earlier and found an interview in which he disscusses some of its subject matter in depth. While I'll likely get around to checking it out at some point, his interview left me with the impression that he's simply rehashing ideas set forth by Robert Anton Wilson 37 years earlier. It also left me with the impression that he is wholly ignorant of what evolutionary theory actually says.

-Lewis Lapham

-Winston Churchill

#199765 - 11/14/06 06:10 AM Re: The gaps [Re: Virus9]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

I note that the topic of creation and evolution come up quite often on this site and do so enjoy reading all the replies/theories and Scientific facts posed.

Question everything, believe nothing.

I dug up This article from Scientific American written several years ago that was quite a good read and thought I would share it with the forum.

Many of you may have already read this article years ago but for those who haven't, enjoy.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#199766 - 11/14/06 07:57 PM Re: The gaps [Re: Evil_Eve]
Unknown Offline

Indeed mothernature was in control of human evolution. Now it is time for man to play God once again.

The Human Genome Project was a joint scientific project that began in 1990 cooridnated by the U.S. Department of Energy and the National Institutes of Health. The project was supposed to last a span of 15 years but as science progresses funeral by funeral, the effort was completed in 13 years instead.

They now have a blueprint for building a human being. Scientists are now in control of human evolution, if not now they will be soon enough.

I'd also recommend reading More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement by Ramez Naam.

#199767 - 11/15/06 06:42 AM Re: The gaps [Re: Unknown]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Indeed mothernature was in control of human evolution. Now it is time for man to play God once again.

The Human Genome Project was a joint scientific project that began in 1990 cooridnated by the U.S. Department of Energy and the National Institutes of Health. The project was supposed to last a span of 15 years but as science progresses funeral by funeral, the effort was completed in 13 years instead.

They now have a blueprint for building a human being. Scientists are now in control of human evolution, if not now they will be soon enough.

I'd also recommend reading More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement by Ramez Naam.

fascinating.

I have done some extensive reading/research on the subject of creating human beings and not in the traditional sense either.

I do so love some of the things that I have read in the 'bible'. I love how Satan was referred to in one chapter as the Father of lies and then in another chapter he is seen as a serpent telling Eve that 'You shall be as gods'. Was the serpent lying?

Seems to me that this Satan character mentioned in the bible said the wisest things! We are gods. I am my own god, and when you put a bunch of gods together (who recognize that they ARE indeed GOD)you get results.

Science is a beautiful thing.

I am so fortunate to be living in these times. Ponder this:

If you lived during Colonial times, (or pick another era) would you still be alive at the age you are now?

I myself would be dead as a doornail and would have more than likely died from my apendix bursting at the tender age of 18.

Science is a gift to this world and yet so many discredit FACTS because they cannot let go of FICTIONS they have built in their own minds. Sadly the common man does not appreciate Science.

Instead, many would rather believe that some great mind formed the world in six days and rested on the seventh. That would be easiest wouldn't it? To sit back and hope that something out there will solve your own problems, make you well, feed you and then rush you off to a wonderful place after you have WASTED the very life you were fortunate enough to have in the first place.

I'd like to point out to these people that shrug off Science that when they receive medical attention it's only possible because of Science and not that of an invisible entity that has never provided viable proof of his existence.

We are living in an age like no other.
I expect great things.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#199768 - 11/15/06 08:58 AM Re: Wired Magazine/The New Atheism [Re: Unknown]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:

Impossible as ignorance is needed for mankinds survival.

Quote:

So inspite of how stupid the belief in their God may be, mankind has become fully dependent upon this concept.

You are presenting the equation: ignorance* (in the meaning of illogical and unreasonable, as you put it) + religion= survival of human race. (This is, at least, how I understood your post.)
That's not quite right.
Religion [=one's "meaning of life"]= survival of the human race. Stupidity isn't in the equation.
All human beings need a religion to survive.
The difference is, that Satanists choose their beliefs wisely (we choose our own meaning).

*ignorance is "lack of knowledge, education or awareness"
Stupidity is the inability to acquire and\or apply knowledge.
One my be ignorant about many things, and still not be stupid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404145 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements